Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Argh -- Seeking Help

kovahkovah Member UncommonPosts: 692

Okay folks here's my delema:  I want to re-subscribe.

Here's a list of issues why that is a bad idea/why I have quit in the past(in no paticular order):

• limited playtime
  • the woman plays mmo's but doesn't like EVE (trust me i've tried)
  • three year old daughter
  • 40hr week, m-f, 9-5est job
  • prefer to solo (prefer pvp)
  • can't always login to keep on top of skillz even with evemon
  • did i mention the limited playtime?
  • hard to justify spending money on a game that only one of us will play when we can wait to see if something upcoming fits both of us(cause nothing out right now is...)
  • basically be starting over (highest sp char is right under 2mil and i'd rather scrap him as he was poorly done from the start)
  • can't convince any of my rl mmorpg'in friends to leave WOW for EVE

I need someone to talk me out of spending the money (again).  I can't really explain why I keep getting drawn back to this game save that, imo, it's still the best MMO on the market and is, imo, going to remain that way even with the three major titles (WAR, AoC, and PotBS) coming out. 

So, help me out here.  Tell me it's a bad idea.  Tell me EVE isn't worth it.  Convince me to not come back again.  I'm literally begging here...

I watched some of the tourney today.  Made me really miss my original Caldari watching all those missiles flying everywhere.  I still read up on this game and lurk these forums all the time.  I don't know why I do this to myself.  I know I don't have the time to invest as it's been my experience that you need more than an hour (or two if i'm lucky) here and there to invest in this game.  Hell, the Eve Univ. courses are a 6 hour endeavor iirc and the woman would laugh at me and correct my line of thinking were I to mention that I was going to sit in front of the computer for 6 hours.  That combined with how much use can I be to any corp with such little playtime makes for not so much fun gaming.

I think I'm just rambling now...  Or maybe I have been the whole time.  Hmm...  /sigh

Comments

• RollinDutchRollinDutch Member Posts: 550

The game takes a lot of time to learn. It doesn't take a lot of time to play. Generally speaking, you can do a decent amount of lowsec/NPC 0.0 PvP in an hour or an hour and a half. It's dangerous and you'll lose a lot of ships, especially while you're learning, but it's a lot of fun. It's a lot easier to set long-term skills after 3 or 4m SP as well, since you'll have less stuff that ends at some annoyingly inconvenient 4-8 hour time.

• JonnyBigBossJonnyBigBoss Member UncommonPosts: 702

I find it very strange that you would come to the EVE board and ask us to dissuade you from playing the game. Almost anyone who reads this particular board has been drawn in by the games incredible strengths. Most people that will argue against EVE either didn't play it long enough to see what makes it so incredible or couldn't stand the severe penalties.

- limited playtime: What other MMO are you going to play? Read my sig, I have thoroughly played all of the top MMO's (I only show the ones I played for several months in my sig) and the only one I know that can be as or more casual as EVE is Guild Wars. Period.

-the woman plays mmo's but doesn't like EVE (trust me i've tried): I'm not you so I have no idea what her interests are but women typically don't find this game attractive because it requires a lot of thinking, social interaction (with guys mainly), teamwork (saying sector clear and roger on ventrilo) and you can't play dress-up. No offense to your wife but if I was a woman I would dislike it as well unless I was a tomboy.

- three year old daughter: I'm guessing this is tied in with limited playtime. See above.

- 40hr week, m-f, 9-5est job: Same question again.

- prefer to solo (prefer pvp): If you want to solo PvP and want your money to be worth it, you are stuck with FPS games.

- can't always login to keep on top of skillz even with evemon: How would you ever get max level in any MMO?

- did i mention the limited playtime?: Sigh.

- hard to justify spending money on a game that only one of us will play when we can wait to see if something upcoming fits both of us(cause nothing out right now is...): I would pay 40$ a month for this game. Whatever floats your boat, sir.

- basically be starting over (highest sp char is right under 2mil and i'd rather scrap him as he was poorly done from the start): You are better off NOT starting over and just starting to train skills in whatever you like to do, no matter the conditions.

- can't convince any of my rl mmorpg'in friends to leave WOW for EVE: Your real-life friends are morons. Show them an EVE PvP video and then ask them if they'd rather slay dragons for loot that will be voided every year or fly around the cosmos with a fleet taking out enemies and claiming territory and building structures to expand territory. If they say they'd rather play WoW then throw a beer bottle at them and never speak to them again.