Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Netherlands may receive Manhunt 2 uncut

GameloadingGameloading Member UncommonPosts: 14,182

Now the good thing (for gamers, that is) about living in the Netherlands is that nobody cares about violence in video games.

www.gamespot.com/news/show_blog_entry.php

"The current law is based on the principle that every adult is considered capable of deciding for himself which games he wants to play, unless it contains illegal material."

Comments

• MadAceMadAce Member Posts: 2,461

Aaaah, the land of the free.

• SpathotanSpathotan Member Posts: 3,928

You mean there is a country out there full of people with balls?

"There's no star system Slave I can't reach, and there's no planet I can't find. There's nowhere in the Galaxy for you to run. Might as well give up now."
    — Boba Fett

• CactusmanXCactusmanX Member Posts: 2,218

Good for the Netherlands , kinda, now if only Manhunt 2 was going to be a good game, I'm not so sure because the first one was bad.

Don't you worry little buddy. You're dealing with a man of honor. However, honor requires a higher percentage of profit

• AguyAguy Member Posts: 561

Originally posted by Spathotan

I lol'd in real life.  I should frame this on my wall.
  • ntcrawlerntcrawler Member Posts: 329

I liked the first manhunt but it did start to get repetitive after a while. There is so much that we could learn from The Netherlands :(

• mithrandir72mithrandir72 Member Posts: 1,286

Yeah, thats why they need the Manhunt 2 unedited version.

Jacking off gets boring after a bit (Since there are no women), and every little tiny bit of extra entertainment they can get from a video game is necessary. Can't say I blame 'em.

Oh yeah, and completely off-topic, my Cardinals are slaughtering Murray State 63-10 (Suprise!). Too bad the game is on some obscure ESPN channel I don't get, I'm watching this play by play reporter on the internet. Sorta borin'.

We barely remember who or what came before this precious moment;
    We are choosing to be here right now -Tool, Parabola

Originally posted by mithrandir72

Jacking off gets boring after a bit (Since there are no women), and every little tiny bit of extra entertainment they can get from a video game is necessary. Can't say I blame 'em.

Oh yeah, and completely off-topic, my Cardinals are slaughtering Murray State 63-10 (Suprise!). Too bad the game is on some obscure ESPN channel I don't get, I'm watching this play by play reporter on the internet. Sorta borin'.

????

Dude, they have COFFEE SHOPS! And they rarely sell coffee.

• PfhobiaPfhobia Member Posts: 18

I didn't know this, and I love in the Netherlands! But there is a lot going on around Manhunt, and even around Bully, which is now called Canes Canem Edit (Dog Eats Dog) here. But I think a friend of me will buy it, I will play it at his house for sure.

• mithrandir72mithrandir72 Member Posts: 1,286

Originally posted by MadAce

Originally posted by mithrandir72

????

Dude, they have COFFEE SHOPS! And they rarely sell coffee.

Have you ever played Gears while hopped up on opiates? The gore effects are suddenly really cool!

So yes, every little bit of extra entertainment

We barely remember who or what came before this precious moment;
    We are choosing to be here right now -Tool, Parabola

• Cabe2323Cabe2323 Member Posts: 2,939

That is cool.

Maybe America can learn how the Netherlands is able to keep children from playing such violent video games and then we can copy that system.  That way we too can release adult content and know that only adults are going to get it.  

Currently playing:
    LOTRO & WoW (not much WoW though because Mines of Moria rocks!!!!)

Looking Foward too:
    Bioware games (Dragon Age & Star Wars The Old Republic)

Originally posted by Cabe2323

That is cool.
    Maybe America can learn how the Netherlands is able to keep children from playing such violent video games and then we can copy that system.  That way we too can release adult content and know that only adults are going to get it.  
    Or one could raise their children to be responsible with such games so the influence of those games is limited. This will create more balanced adult individuals.

No... Wait. That's too much work. Better to let them be swamped with all kinds of uncomprehensible shit when they turn 18.

That is cool.
    Or one could raise their children to be responsible with such games so the influence of those games is limited. This will create more balanced adult individuals.

No... Wait. That's too much work. Better to let them be swamped with all kinds of uncomprehensible shit when they turn 18.

No matter how responsible you raise your children there are certain things they shouldn't be exposed to.  That is just a medical truth.  If you want to disbelieve it that is fine.  

Currently playing:

Looking Foward too:

That is cool.

No matter how responsible you raise your children there are certain things they shouldn't be exposed to.  That is just a medical truth.  If you want to disbelieve it that is fine.  

Give me proof of that and I'll be happy.

That is cool.

Give me proof of that and I'll be happy.

www.psychologymatters.org/mediaviolence.html

15 year study on the effects of violence in the media on children.

www.psychologymatters.org/videogames.html

Article about Video Games.

www.apa.org/science/psa/sb-anderson.html

Another Article.

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/720707.stm

BBC Article about it.

allpsych.com/journal/violentmedia.html

The fact is that being exposed to Violent Media is in fact harmful to children.  And while in a perfect world the Parents should be held solely to blame for their children accessing media that is inappropriate for them,  that is just no how it works.  It is a fact that Children still get the games that are classified as adult games.  The Parents in a lot of cases just want little "Johnny" to shut up and so they give him what he wants.  The retailers do  not want to lose any potential business and so will do very little to enforce the rating guidelines. 

Exposure to Violence in Media of all forms increases desenitivity to violence as well as increases aggressive behavior.  It has been proven throughout the years in numerous Psychological studies. 

That is part of the reason that the Industry has created the rating system themselves.  They would much rather police themselves then have the Government do it for them.  The problem is that it just doesn't work. 

Some of the same people here on these boards wonder why Americans seem so insensitive to other countries and the violence that plagues them.  Well this is your answer.  Over the past 50 years aggressive and violent TV has increased dramatically on American Television and all other forms of media. 

Take Superman for instance.  Here was the All American Super Hero.  He was a boy scout.  He was caring and sincere. 

Look at our more recent super heroes.  The new Batman Movie, Punisher, Spawn, etc. 

This new aggressive attitude has infiltrated ever facet of our way of lives and is a big cause for our current struggle in the world's public opinion of us. 

Currently playing:

Looking Foward too:

• GameloadingGameloading Member UncommonPosts: 14,182

caliber.ucpress.net/doi/pdfplus/10.1525/ctx.2007.6.1.13

with that said, I don't think that a 12 year old (or younger) should play a game like manhunt 2 or GTA. But I find the age restrictions on video game just absurd. For example, back when I was 17, I heard everyone talk about the Darkness demo on Playstation Network. But I just couldn't find it. turns out, I had to be 18 just to download the demo. I mean seriously, 18? Any kid from age 14~15 and above should be able to play that game without any issues.

Originally posted by Gameloading

with that said, I don't think that a 12 year old (or younger) should play a game like manhunt 2 or GTA. But I find the age restrictions on video game just absurd. For example, back when I was 17, I heard everyone talk about the Darkness demo on Playstation Network. But I just couldn't find it. turns out, I had to be 18 just to download the demo. I mean seriously, 18? Any kid from age 14~15 and above should be able to play that game without any issues.
    I am not sure if it my Work PC or a problem with the Website (most likely work PC since I am on the Navy Network)  But this is what I got from your Link GL.

An Error Occurred Setting Your User Cookie
    A cookie is a small amount of information that a web site copies onto your hard drive. Caliber uses cookies to improve performance by remembering that you are logged in when you go from page to page. If the cookie cannot be set correctly, then Caliber cannot determine whether you are logged in and a new session will be created for each page you visit. This slows the system down. Therefore, you must accept the Caliber cookie to use the system.

What Gets Stored in a Cookie?
    Caliber only stores a session ID in the cookie, no other information is captured.

In general, only the information that you provide, or the choices you make while visiting a web site, can be stored in a cookie. For example, the site cannot determine your email name unless you choose to type it. Allowing a web site to create a cookie does not give that or any other site access to the rest of your computer, and only the site that created the cookie can read it.

Please read our Privacy Policy for more information about data collected on this site.

Setting Your Browser to Accept Cookies
    There are many reasons why a cookie could not be set correctly. Below are the most common reasons:

• You have cookie notification switched on in your browser and you did not accept the cookie set request. To remedy this, hit your browser's Back button and try again, accepting the cookie this time.

• You have cookies disabled in your browser. You need to reset your browser to accept cookies or to ask you if you want to accept cookies. For information on cookies and Netscape Navigator you can go to the Netscape cookie page. For Internet Explorer, go to information about cookies from Microsoft.

• Your browser does not support cookies. See whether your browser accepts cookies.

• Very Important: Check the date on your computer. If your computer's clock shows a date before 1 Jan 1970 then the browser will automatically forget the cookie. To fix this, simply set the correct time and date on your computer.

• You have installed an application that monitors/blocks cookies from being set. To remedy this, please disable the application while logging in or check with your system administrator.

Go to Cookie Central for more information about cookies.

Currently playing:

Looking Foward too:

You need adobe reader to read it.

How do you account for a 14-15 year old who is behind in their mental and emotional growth?  They might be 14 years old but they have the brain of a 9 year old. 

They chose 18 because it was the age that the majority were mature enough at to handle the material.  It could of been lower for some and it might need to be higher for others, but 18 was a good compromise ground. 

Another example of that is the Legal age to drink.  In the US it is 21.  You can vote at 18, you can die for your country at 18, but you can't drink until your 21.  Even this has a reason though.  It was found that the Liver matures at a later age then other organs in the body.  It can mature anywhere from 18-25 so they chose a middle ground here as well and moved the drinking age up to 21.  So that the least harm would be done to everyone. 

These are not issues of responsibility.  For instance I have about 0 percent chance of climbing a tower with a high powered rifle and shooting people.  Even though I have played video games since I was a wee lad and I have also watched R rated movies on my own at the theater since I was in 4th or 5th grade.  But that isn't the case for everyone.  Someone who because so desenitized to violence combined with other factors (Notate the other factors because those are very important) could become aggressive and commit violent acts. 

There have been numerous cases showing increased violence in the youth of america.  One of the biggest indicators that there is a problem with our youth today is our increased violence.  Something that in the past might of resulted in a fist fight now becomes a knife fight.  And something that would of been a knife fight back in the 50s today is a shoot out.  

Many countries have as many guns as Americans do, but no one does violent crime like we do.  Why do you think that is.  There are only a few things that make us different then the rest of the modernize world when it comes to this.  We have a "conservative" population yet have "liberal" media, where as the rest of the world for the most part has a "liberal" population with a more "conservative" media (and yes I know in europe their views on sex on TV are more liberal then ours, I think my fellow americans are huge prudes and blame our puritan roots but for the most part we do violence in the media like almost no other culture.)   For instance Boxing is banned in Iceland.  It is considered barbaric.  Yet we embrace it in America. 

This overly glamorization of Violence coupled with the Governments inability to combat due to "personal freedoms" and being outgunned by the population leads to an increase in violent crime compared to the rest of the world. 

The only other possible explanation for why we have such increased violence in America is our diverse culture.  These cultures could possibly not be meshing as well as we would like and that could be leading to some of the increased violent crimes.  This of course doesn't account for incidients like Columbine though. 

So honestly in my opinion.  No children can not handle violence in their media and I think it is the SINGLE most damaging thing that the Media can expose our youth to.  

Currently playing:

Looking Foward too:

Thanks for the links. I enjoyed reading them.

Dudes. I'm the first guy to say that over-exposure is very harmful to children. I'm the living proof of that. On the other hand its equally harmful (if not more) to have children grow older and remain as unprepared for the horrors of the world (like a nipple) as were they 5 years.

If a child is curious then it is my belief to feed that curiosity on a responsible manner. If the age is sufficient of course. That of course a full time occupation. Well, not full time. But one would be required to invest some attention in the child, apart from putting all the bad games on a high shelf.

When a child is confronted with violence it's the duty of the parents to either defend that child from the violence or to integrate the violence in the frame of reference of the child. The former only if there's no chance in hell the child will understand. Which isn't as probably as yiu would think.

The upside of being a child is that you'll learn a lot quicker than older people.

So IMHO it's imperative that children are being taught about the REAL world. This wil lallow them to deal with new and disturbing things easier and place them in a healthy context.

If this seems harsh, so be it. Children better be ready for the world.

Also, IMHO it's a lot easier to deny your child everything and keep them secluded from the real world than it is to be there on every step of the road.

• GodliestGodliest Member Posts: 3,486

Whom can truly enjoy a game that's only made to be sick and make people feel disgusted? I think it's wrong that they stop the game from being sold, but I still don't understand the point of creating disgusting games. Too much control freaks in our society today.

• DraenorDraenor Member UncommonPosts: 7,918

That is cool.

What MadAce said

Your argument is like a two legged dog with an eating disorder...weak and unbalanced.

• HeretiqueHeretique Member RarePosts: 1,535

Dudes. I'm the first guy to say that over-exposure is very harmful to children. I'm the living proof of that. On the other hand its equally harmful (if not more) to have children grow older and remain as unprepared for the horrors of the world (like a nipple) as were they 5 years.
    If a child is curious then it is my belief to feed that curiosity on a responsible manner. If the age is sufficient of course. That of course a full time occupation. Well, not full time. But one would be required to invest some attention in the child, apart from putting all the bad games on a high shelf.

When a child is confronted with violence it's the duty of the parents to either defend that child from the violence or to integrate the violence in the frame of reference of the child. The former only if there's no chance in hell the child will understand. Which isn't as probably as yiu would think.

The upside of being a child is that you'll learn a lot quicker than older people.

So IMHO it's imperative that children are being taught about the REAL world. This wil lallow them to deal with new and disturbing things easier and place them in a healthy context.

Also, IMHO it's a lot easier to deny your child everything and keep them secluded from the real world than it is to be there on every step of the road.
    Well said.

Our government could care less about the children. As long as their is a strong chance they will fuel our armies. Being desensitized is a blessing.

How do you account for a 14-15 year old who is behind in their mental and emotional growth?  They might be 14 years old but they have the brain of a 9 year old. 

They chose 18 because it was the age that the majority were mature enough at to handle the material.  It could of been lower for some and it might need to be higher for others, but 18 was a good compromise ground. 

Another example of that is the Legal age to drink.  In the US it is 21.  You can vote at 18, you can die for your country at 18, but you can't drink until your 21.  Even this has a reason though.  It was found that the Liver matures at a later age then other organs in the body.  It can mature anywhere from 18-25 so they chose a middle ground here as well and moved the drinking age up to 21.  So that the least harm would be done to everyone. 

These are not issues of responsibility.  For instance I have about 0 percent chance of climbing a tower with a high powered rifle and shooting people.  Even though I have played video games since I was a wee lad and I have also watched R rated movies on my own at the theater since I was in 4th or 5th grade.  But that isn't the case for everyone.  Someone who because so desenitized to violence combined with other factors (Notate the other factors because those are very important) could become aggressive and commit violent acts. 

There have been numerous cases showing increased violence in the youth of america.  One of the biggest indicators that there is a problem with our youth today is our increased violence.  Something that in the past might of resulted in a fist fight now becomes a knife fight.  And something that would of been a knife fight back in the 50s today is a shoot out.  

Many countries have as many guns as Americans do, but no one does violent crime like we do.  Why do you think that is.  There are only a few things that make us different then the rest of the modernize world when it comes to this.  We have a "conservative" population yet have "liberal" media, where as the rest of the world for the most part has a "liberal" population with a more "conservative" media (and yes I know in europe their views on sex on TV are more liberal then ours, I think my fellow americans are huge prudes and blame our puritan roots but for the most part we do violence in the media like almost no other culture.)   For instance Boxing is banned in Iceland.  It is considered barbaric.  Yet we embrace it in America. 

This overly glamorization of Violence coupled with the Governments inability to combat due to "personal freedoms" and being outgunned by the population leads to an increase in violent crime compared to the rest of the world. 

The only other possible explanation for why we have such increased violence in America is our diverse culture.  These cultures could possibly not be meshing as well as we would like and that could be leading to some of the increased violent crimes.  This of course doesn't account for incidients like Columbine though. 

So honestly in my opinion.  No children can not handle violence in their media and I think it is the SINGLE most damaging thing that the Media can expose our youth to.  

The amount kids of 14 ~ 15 year that are so far behind and emotional wise as you say is small, and I see no reason to punish the entire 14 ~ 15 year old population for that. If you're a responsible parent, then you KNOW if your child is far behind emotional wise, and thus you should not let your kids play those games. This is the responsibility of the parents, not the government.

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194

All those Psychology researches are really nice and all.

Fact is that 99.999% of murders are committed by people who doesn't play games.

But if the 0.001% is the one who by chance enjoyed to play Manhunt, then playing violent Videogames becomes "the issue".

Broken families or useless parents create the other 99.999% of criminals, but nobody seems to care.

Some kids grow up without parents cause they are too busy forging their career or they are alchoolics, some of those kids grow up without love and structure and become desensitised to other human beings and alienated from the society, bringing some of them to commit inhumane crimes "just for fun" or "because they are bored" (those are the actual words used by most of those people).

Let's do a research about that shall we? But I guess blaming Videogames, Music, Television and Books is more convenient than admitting that our family values are disintegrating.

So let's put things into prospective and let's stop this witchhunt against Videogames.

Originally posted by Heretique

Well said.

Our government could care less about the children. As long as their is a strong chance they will fuel our armies. Being desensitized is a blessing.

Actually, with my philosophy it's much harder to get desensitized. Simply because children are taught from a very early age to react to things. In short: Children should learn how to deal with strong influences.