Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

About us Americans...

2»

Comments

• VampirVampir Member Posts: 4,239

Originally posted by Deron_Barak

It's interesting how point of views differ from country to country.  There are a lot of US issues that are disturbing and it seems to be getting worse.  Also there are often two sides to every story and even more ways to look at it.
    -Lack of US involvement in tackeling global warming.
    Agreed but only for the sake of saving resources and having cleaner air.
    -US refusing to sign decleration of Childrens Rights (together with Somalia and North-Korea), tho this is a hypocritical sham since many countries signed and did not follow it, it's still something that is found to be...  disturbing.
    I'm all for protecting children but the US has too many opprotuistic lawyers that would use the decloration to undermine the family unit more than our culture already has.
    -arrogance, being a great nation is no excuse to dismiss the rest of mankind as being inferior.
    I'm not sure what you are refering to.  There are ignorant people everywhere that think they are better than others.
    -religious zealotism, denial or questioning of the evolution theory is unheard of here. I'm not saying it's right or wrong, just that the difference in view between the two sides of the Atlantic creates a minor form of conflict.
    Questioning a belief is unheard of? I thought being able to question was called freedom of thought.
    -Going into Iraq without UN aproval or help.
    The UN had 10 years to keep Saddam in check and was unable to do so.  Once he had enriched Uranium and nuclear facility plans from France, something had to be done.

-Electing Bush.

Ummm, yea, sorry about that.  Though seriously if Bush was a better speaker he wouldn't be looked at so badly.  You might laugh but I think it's true.
    -Electing Bush for a second term.
    Reason: John Kerry
    -Lying to the US public by the Bush administration about WOMD in Iraq and getting away with it.
    No one really knows if the positive intelligence was there or not.  Again the UN inspection team was kicked out for 4 years at one point.  That and fact Saddam had alreay used WOMD's to kill thousands of his own people woudl lead anyone to believe they were still there.
    -Lying to allies about WOMD and getting away with it.

-Treating nations that did not participate in the coalition like dirt and getting away with it.

If you are refering to the "Freedom Fry" incident...yeah, that was a littel over the top.
    -Unability to deal with Katrina.
    Well at one point the residents in need were shooting at rescue choppers so they had to pull back.  Other than that I agree it should have been handled a lot quicker.
    -Biased media.
    I absolutly agree, the left has secured 80% of the media.
    -Fast growing poverty.
    It breaks my heart to know children are in poverty.  Fact is only 2.8% of Americans who work full time are in poverty.
    -"Counter-terrorism" laws that limit the people's freedom.
    Each law needs it's own review but fear is not freedom, I'll give a little up front to avoid another attack.
    -Influence of religion in politics.
    You'll be happy to know religion is being pushed out of US culture day by day.  To it's downfall I might add.
    -Power of lobbies.
    Agreed.  Both sides trade the the will of the people for special intrest groups.  I hope our next president will lessen this but I doubt it.

I think that the US is just as hypocritical or just as any nation we are just a hell of a lot more active with a lot more spotlight on us.

For christ sake France sold saddam equipment to make nuclear weapons in 1978

the US was about the only country that wasn't directly involved in the huge corruption of the oil to food program, which strangely no one got prosecuted for even though billions of dollars went to someone who even though he didn't have WMD's was a sadist and the biggest human rights violator alive.

The only nation that is not im my mind as hypocritical as anyone else is israel

Israel doesn't pretend there war's and conflicts dont have civilian casualties, or that they dont have an extremely militaristic attitude towards a lot of neighboring nations.

They dont cover up when they bomb something without asking permission.

They just dont care.

And no one gives them crap because they are the only jewish nation that is surrounded on all sides by nations that would more than definitely want them blasted out of existance.

Everyone else hides covers up actions that they think are necessary but know are somewhat illicit, either that or if one of their leaders is corrupt or an idiot there is a lot of justification.

98% of the teenage population does or has tried smoking pot. If you''re one of the 2% who hasn''t, copy & paste this in your signature.

• SpathotanSpathotan Member Posts: 3,928

And once again another joke topic is turned into a mindless personal rant of ignorant zealotry.

GG, you win the prize.

"There's no star system Slave I can't reach, and there's no planet I can't find. There's nowhere in the Galaxy for you to run. Might as well give up now."
    — Boba Fett

• baffbaff Member Posts: 9,457

Isreal doesn't lie and try to cover up when it bombs people?

You must be having a laugh, everytime the world spotlight is off, they invade Palestine. They do it every year. No one in the west cares about Palestine, so they get away with it. We even sell them the bombs.

No one gives them crap because they are allied to us in a very strategically important region where we have very few friends.

For the record, France also sold nuclear technology to Israel. (Something which Israel likes to keep very hidden).

BTW Since the U.S. were the only people investigating oil for fuel (by way of diplomatic reprisal), it's not very suprising that they didn't attempt to indict themselves. Is it?

• METALDRAG0NMETALDRAG0N Member Posts: 1,680
    Originally posted by Deron_Barak

It's interesting how point of views differ from country to country.  There are a lot of US issues that are disturbing and it seems to be getting worse.  Also there are often two sides to every story and even more ways to look at it.

Agreed but only for the sake of saving resources and having cleaner air.

-US refusing to sign decleration of Childrens Rights (together with Somalia and North-Korea), tho this is a hypocritical sham since many countries signed and did not follow it, it's still something that is found to be...  disturbing.

I'm all for protecting children but the US has too many opprotuistic lawyers that would use the decloration to undermine the family unit more than our culture already has.

-arrogance, being a great nation is no excuse to dismiss the rest of mankind as being inferior.

I'm not sure what you are refering to.  There are ignorant people everywhere that think they are better than others.

-religious zealotism, denial or questioning of the evolution theory is unheard of here. I'm not saying it's right or wrong, just that the difference in view between the two sides of the Atlantic creates a minor form of conflict.

Questioning a belief is unheard of? I thought being able to question was called freedom of thought.

The UN had 10 years to keep Saddam in check and was unable to do so.  Once he had enriched Uranium and nuclear facility plans from France, something had to be done.

Seemed the un was working tho considering no WMD's were found in iraq

-Electing Bush.

Ummm, yea, sorry about that.  Though seriously if Bush was a better speaker he wouldn't be looked at so badly.  You might laugh but I think it's true.

Reason: John Kerry

-Lying to the US public by the Bush administration about WOMD in Iraq and getting away with it.

No one really knows if the positive intelligence was there or not.  Again the UN inspection team was kicked out for 4 years at one point.  That and fact Saddam had alreay used WOMD's to kill thousands of his own people woudl lead anyone to believe they were still there. Actually we do know as the evidence after the invasion of iraq years alter paints a very different picture that the dossier painted before the invasion.

-Treating nations that did not participate in the coalition like dirt and getting away with it.

If you are refering to the "Freedom Fry" incident...yeah, that was a littel over the top.

That and grabbing ALL the good buisness contract and frowinfg the crap to your allies despite previous promosis.

Well at one point the residents in need were shooting at rescue choppers so they had to pull back.  Other than that I agree it should have been handled a lot quicker.

That shooting story was a myth

-Biased media.

I absolutly agree, the left has secured 80% of the media.

Fox news is the goverments mouthpiece

-Fast growing poverty.

It breaks my heart to know children are in poverty.  Fact is only 2.8% of Americans who work full time are in poverty.

Each law needs it's own review but fear is not freedom, I'll give a little up front to avoid another attack. Most of the fear comes from your own goverment scaremongering its an old political tactic use dto controll you all.

You'll be happy to know religion is being pushed out of US culture day by day.  To it's downfall I might add. Somehow i doubt this from what ive seena nd read comming out of america.

-Power of lobbies.

Agreed.  Both sides trade the the will of the people for special intrest groups.  I hope our next president will lessen this but I doubt it.

"Kill one man, and you are a murderer. Kill millions of men, and you are a conqueror. Kill them all, and you are a god."
    -- Jean Rostand

• METALDRAG0NMETALDRAG0N Member Posts: 1,680
    Originally posted by baff

Isreal doesn't lie and try to cover up when it bombs people?

You must be having a laugh, everytime the world spotlight is off, they invade Palestine. They do it every year. No one in the west cares about Palestine, so they get away with it. We even sell them the bombs.
    No one gives them crap because they are allied to us in a very strategically important region where we have very few friends.

For the record, France also sold nuclear technology to Israel. (Something which Israel likes to keep very hidden).

BTW Since the U.S. were the only people investigating oil for fuel (by way of diplomatic reprisal), it's not very suprising that they didn't attempt to indict themselves. Is it?

Israil has done some bad things in recent years.

"Kill one man, and you are a murderer. Kill millions of men, and you are a conqueror. Kill them all, and you are a god."
    -- Jean Rostand

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    Originally posted by MadAce

Sometimes...

Over the years I was forced to notice a growing antipathy concerning the US. With the peak being the last 6 years.

A few things that disturbs many people (tho far from all) people over here:

-political counter manouvring, in the UN for example using a veto as a weapon.

Also, there are things that make us genuinly surprised:

-Electing Bush.

-Biased media.

-Fast growing poverty.

-Power of lobbies.

Dissapointment.

That's how Europeans thinks about Americans, I can confirm.

We do not think Americans are stupid (perhaps a little bit weird......Freedom fries anyone?)

We do not hate Americans either. Where did u get this idea from? Criticise doesn't equal hate.

But recently we are a bit concerned about things happening over there, which Madace described pretty well.

I will also like to emphasize the word "disappointment".

Because in fact that's what I personally feel about America right now.

You know when you worship a superhero for then discovering he was a wife abuser?

That s pretty much the feeling towards America right now.

If I really have to be nasty about something American that would be the football .............the European counter part owns the American one hands down ( /grabs the fire proof cloak )

• TheodorykTheodoryk Member Posts: 1,453
    Originally posted by Spathotan

And once again another joke topic is turned into a mindless personal rant of ignorant zealotry.
    GG, you win the prize.

Word up.

"Speaking haygywaygy or some other gibberish with your mum doesn't make you foreign."
    -baff

• GameloadingGameloading Member UncommonPosts: 14,182

Originally posted by ste2000

Sometimes...

Over the years I was forced to notice a growing antipathy concerning the US. With the peak being the last 6 years.

-Electing Bush.

-Biased media.

-Fast growing poverty.

-Power of lobbies.

Dissapointment.

We do not think Americans are stupid (perhaps a little bit weird......Freedom fries anyone?)

We do not hate Americans either. Where did u get this idea from? Criticise doesn't equal hate.

But recently we are a bit concerned about things happening over there, which Madace described pretty well.

You know when you worship a superhero for then discovering he was a wife abuser?

If I really have to be nasty about something American that would be the football .............the European counter part owns the American one hands down ( /grabs the fire proof cloak )

I'm sorry, but don't you mean SOME europeans?

• PhoenixsPhoenixs Member Posts: 2,646

Originally posted by ste2000

Sometimes...

-Electing Bush.

-Biased media.

-Fast growing poverty.

-Power of lobbies.

Dissapointment.

Both posts qft.

Although it's not all of us, there are different people and opinions over here too, like everywhere else

• Cabe2323Cabe2323 Member Posts: 2,939

www.cbn.com/cbnnews/news/050516b.aspx

Religion is very much losing ground in the Government.  When this country was at the height of its power we were also the most conservative we have ever been. 

Now I am not saying that we need to be more conservative to do better as a country.  So don't take it that way, but everything that conservatives value has been losing ground over the years and they haven't been gaining any ground. 

Oh and the stories about shooting at rescue helicopters are not a myth.  I work at the Navy Training command for Rescue Swimmers.  Several of the instructors were there and all of them make mention of people pointing guns at them and shooting towards them because they weren't going to leave their property.  Even if it was underwater.  The fact was, a significant amount of those people needing rescue were lower income and of a lower education level.  They didn't trust the Government and were afraid that what they had was going to get stolen.  Even though at that time it didn't make any sense.  I blame it on the stress of the situation they were in. 

Currently playing:
    LOTRO & WoW (not much WoW though because Mines of Moria rocks!!!!)

Looking Foward too:
    Bioware games (Dragon Age & Star Wars The Old Republic)

• JonnyHelfireJonnyHelfire Member Posts: 125

do rednecks count as stupid americans?

• AkaJetsonAkaJetson Member Posts: 1,167
    Originally posted by Manson_Fan

We really aren't stupid (except for a few of course). Really that is a stereotype.

Do people who live in Italy like to be stereotyped as a bunch of fat, lazy, greasy people sitting around all day? Do the British like the fact that they are stereotyped as people with no hygiene? Do Japanese MMO players like to know that they are stereotyped as gold sellers and power levelers? Do Africans like to be stereotyped as the "forgotten continent" just because they aren't as advanced?

The final answer is no. Nobody likes to be stereotyped, I'm not saying that we do or anybody else does.

What I'm saying is the fact that just because our president is a complete idiot doesn't mean that we are. Most of us do know our geography, about 1/1000000 probably couldn't locate USA on a map. We are a very advanced society and we are not stupid (for the most part).

This is racism. It's like when an American goes to Europe on vacation, they are criticized. What if a European came to America and was treated like that?

Is it jealousy perhaps? Jealousy of the fact that we are a country of great acceptance? Jealousy of the fact that we have control of a lot of media? Jealousy of the fact that we are a free country, we can do almost anything we want? I would really want to know what everybody has against us Americans.

You shouldnt have re-elected george bush then.

?

• AthlAthl Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 159

Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and consciencious stupidity.

• baffbaff Member Posts: 9,457

Just noticead this little gem of ignorance.

Originally posted by Manson_Fan

This is racism. It's like when an American goes to Europe on vacation, they are criticized. What if a European came to America and was treated like that?

Speaking as a European who used to travel to America twice a year every year, we don't just get "criticised", we get our bank accounts, credit history, criminal records and religion inspected; searched, treated rudely, pushed around and threatened by gunmen at the airport. Forced to stand in the extra long foriegners queue. French people get positively abused and often turned away point blank and black people get treated with suspicion.

Let's not even start on how Muslims are treated. And we haven't even been in the country for 20 minutes yet.

Personally I recommend that Europeans don't travel to America. The place needs a few years to calm down still. 

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    Originally posted by Gameloading

I'm sorry, but don't you mean SOME europeans?

Of course my apology, I should know better.

Never generalise even if it was clear that the meaning was the "majority" of the European not the whole lot.

SOME people can get itchy (see I am learning already).

Of course you are your own man, I am sure you haven't got any issue with Americans, bless.

I am looking forward NOT to see any criticising post against America coming from you then.