Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Announce release date or sink !

2»

Comments

• kovahkovah Member UncommonPosts: 692

"In a linear conception of time, the future is the portion of the timeline that is still to occur, i.e. the place in space-time where lie all events that still have not occurred. In this sense the future is opposed to the past (the set of moments and events that have already occurred) and the present (the set of events that are occurring now)."

-http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soon&usg=AFQjCNHAVkMKKuUSiTuUpypuPHspgV1Jxw

in other words: Soon = when it's ready.  This game has been in developement for over 5 years now.  I'd say anytime in the next year would be "soon" based on that...  :)

• First, lobotomist, I absolutely love your sig.  It's very funny how the supposed "hard core" pvp'ers cry when their ability to grief lowbies is taken away.  It's funny how you're considered "carebear" if you want a legitimately fair pvp matchup.  Just thought I'd bring that up.  :)

As for your post, I hate to say it but I have to agree.  Ever since the Vanguard debacle (which may I remind everyone was completely the fault of an inept development team at Sigil), I've been a pretty big proponent of releasing polished games.  That being said, I think that as the OP said there is huge opportunity for a new MMO right now.  A LOT of people are really sick of the eq/wow formula, and are craving a new game.  If POTBS cannot release soon, I also fear that it will be doomed to a niche market.  If released now, it has the potential to get a lot more players that it legitmately should.  If further delayed, it will settle into its niche market.  I'm not saying that it will not be as good a game as war, or aoc, etc.  I'm just saying that once people start an MMO, if they like it in any way they will at least be playing that MMO for six months to a year.  If the other games release before POTBS, there's a lot of subscribers gone.  If POTBS releases only slightly before the other games, then I see a lot of people waiting for war instead of trying POTBS.  But if POTBS can release at least 4-6 months before the others, then the opportunity is there to capture a larger share of the market.

By your statements I'd say PotBS has a great shot of making it if it were to release on the same date as the "OMGMOREORCSANDELVES" and "OMGIMNOT18ANDNOTALLOWEDTOPLAY" upcoming MMOs set to be released "sometime" next year. 

Who is to say that WAR and AoC won't be pushed back even farther?  All of this doom and gloom, release now or die, etc etc stuff is rather amusing.  I'm sure that all of the dev's over the years have sat in their offices and been skeerd as hell when they read these posts...  or NOT.

Look, I'm not trying to discredit what you are saying.  You are right on many levels.  Thing is, these guys know the market much MUCH better than you do.  I can also promise that they are much MUCH more interested in their product making money than you are.  Let them worry about when it is coming out.  They will tell you when they want to, not sooner.  If they lose the three people that are whining about it...  well...  good riddance imo.

Also, don't forget about all the WoW folks out there that will be sticking with that game forever, so long as they keep releasing these (lol)expansions.  All of my friends who are currently playing WoW have no intention of leaving now that the next (lol)expansion has been announced.  It's a sad state of affairs imo...

It's my opinion that until more people leave WoW ANY game that gets released is going to be "niche" as compared to their subscriber base.  This includes WAR and AoC.  /shrug

• AriocArioc Member Posts: 299

You should make blanket statements such as "It's ready for release" and follow them up with comments which discredit your statement like "According to rumor and hearsay". If the game was ready for release the dev's would have it out the door immediately to be able to make money off of it to pay off the debt incurred from development.

As much as you want the game to be out, making inflammatory statements based on hearsay and rumor only further propagates disinformation and sullies the image of a company who has not done anything wrong by casting them in a negative light based on conjecture and rumor.

I understand you want the game to be out, you're bored and want something new to play. But these sort of inflammatory posts only work to the detriment of the game and it's company by focusing negativity on a project that hasn't even been released yet for no reason.

Arioc Murkwood
    Environment Artist
    Sad but true.

• mrotsmrots Member Posts: 106

Rick said:  -but believe me, it's not like we're sitting here at the office sipping martinis waiting for Sony to get things together!

This line made me laugh , thanks.

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

I agree the game should be polished.

And if you think SOE is first one , not wanting another Vanguard fiasco.

But please FLS hurry ! We MMO addicts need a new fix !!!!

• letum6030letum6030 Member Posts: 206

Arioc,

I agree with you on what you said.  However, some (probably a lot) won't understand what you're saying. 

• RomokoRomoko Member Posts: 95

I was really looking forward to PotBS, but they've delayed it for so long, i just gave up.

- one really good customer.

=P

• Agricola1Agricola1 Member UncommonPosts: 4,977
    Originally posted by Romoko

I was really looking forward to PotBS, but they've delayed it for so long, i just gave up.
    - one really good customer.
    =P

Still it's better than them releasing it early and unfinished and you wasting your cash to beta a turd.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience"

CS Lewis

• HerodesHerodes Member UncommonPosts: 1,494

Yep,

Rest in peace:
    Horizons
    Dark and Light
    Roma Victor
    Vanguard
    Age of Conan

Ok, one of them did not failed yet. I really loved Horizons.

Ok ok sorry, the one with AoC is a joke... ...yet.