Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Warhawk

Anybody else played this?  It is a lot more fun than I expected.  Since 11pm yesturday I have spent pretty much all my time between college and work playing this.  It is a lot like battlefield, a little bit too fast paced though imo.  This is probably the best current-gen game I have played, which really isn't saying that much.  I still wouldn't call it good, but definately better than pretty much any game I have bought in the last 5 years.  What do you guys think?

Your mind is like a parachute, it's only useful when it's open.
Don't forget, you can use the block function on trolls.

Comments

• ElapsedElapsed Member UncommonPosts: 2,329

So that makes the list of marginally good PS3 games to get...

1. Motorstorm
    2. Resistance
    and now...
    3. Warhawk?

• GameloadingGameloading Member UncommonPosts: 14,182

soon to be added for this year: Heavenly Sword, Lair, Ratched and Clank and ofcourse, Uncharted: Drakes fortune

• Entreri28Entreri28 Member Posts: 589
    Originally posted by -Jaguar-

1. Motorstorm

2. Resistance

and now...

3. Warhawk?

Only Warhawk.  It's the only current-gen game I have played that I would consider almost good.

• BlurrBlurr Member UncommonPosts: 2,155

I haven't tried it yet but I did just pick it up today (the box version with the headset) at Best Buy for about 30 bucks cheaper than it's supposed to be, lol. I guess whoever sets the prices there made a mistake.

A great game for half price, can't beat that! 

"Because it's easier to nitpick something than to be constructive." -roach5000

• METALDRAG0NMETALDRAG0N Member Posts: 1,680
    Originally posted by -Jaguar-

1. Motorstorm

2. Resistance

and now...

3. Warhawk?

Dont know about you but i found resistance to be a bit generic really. Isant it great how the launch for next gen consoles went. hardly any games worth ower time it seems

"Kill one man, and you are a murderer. Kill millions of men, and you are a conqueror. Kill them all, and you are a god."
    -- Jean Rostand

• Keebs1984Keebs1984 Member Posts: 1,356

Originally posted by Gameloading

soon to be added for this year: Heavenly Sword, Lair, Ratched and Clank and ofcourse, Uncharted: Drakes fortune

Heavenly Sword, and Lair (primarily) got bleh reviews.

Maybe people should rent them before rushing out and buying these games.

Eternally mine,
    Keebs

The MMO gaming blog I write for.

• DraenorDraenor Member UncommonPosts: 7,918

Originally posted by Keebs1984

What he said...both of those games disapointed, especially given all the hype and the hope from ps3 owners that they would be getting a library full of killer apps this month.

Your argument is like a two legged dog with an eating disorder...weak and unbalanced.

• GameloadingGameloading Member UncommonPosts: 14,182

gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/928391.asp
  • SpathotanSpathotan Member Posts: 3,928

I guess im the only person that finds the obvious BULLSHIT in a "review" for a game that hasnt even fucking came out yet to the public outside videos and a demo. Wait for the release, until then nobody knows shit, not even these half-head game raiting sites that claim to get early release copies.

"There's no star system Slave I can't reach, and there's no planet I can't find. There's nowhere in the Galaxy for you to run. Might as well give up now."
    — Boba Fett

• Keebs1984Keebs1984 Member Posts: 1,356

Originally posted by Spathotan

I guess im the only person that finds the obvious BULLSHIT in a "review" for a game that hasnt even fucking came out yet to the public outside videos and a demo. Wait for the release, until then nobody knows shit, not even these half-head game raiting sites that claim to get early release copies.

They don't "claim" to get early released copies. They DO get those copies. What are you on? Do you honestly think they are faking it?

I'll agree, there is a lot wrong with game reviewing right now, however, until something comes along that is better people need to listen to them, and rent the game first. It is much better than buying something that ends up being crap because the developer said it was.

Why am I not surprised to see Spathotan coming out, guns blazing, in defense of his new investment.

Read the reviews, check out the videos of the game, research the development company. Three steps you should ALWAYS do before wasting $50-$60. . . that is unless you are rich enough to not give a damn about what pos game makes its way into your collection. A lot of us, however, don't share that leisure.

Eternally mine,
    Keebs

The MMO gaming blog I write for.

They don't "claim" to get early released copies. They DO get those copies. What are you on? Do you honestly think they are faking it?

I'll agree, there is a lot wrong with game reviewing right now, however, until something comes along that is better people need to listen to them, and rent the game first. It is much better than buying something that ends up being crap because the developer said it was.

Why am I not surprised to see Spathotan coming out, guns blazing, in defense of his new investment.

Read the reviews, check out the videos of the game, research the development company. Three steps you should ALWAYS do before wasting $50-$60. . . that is unless you are rich enough to not give a damn about what pos game makes its way into your collection. A lot of us, however, don't share that leisure.

Im not defending my new investment. I havnt read a shit of info on Lair, and I downloaded the demo for Heavenly Sword and it sucks, too fast paced and to much garble on the screen at once, its like Diablo 2 at 5X speed in the cow level, its not fun. Not to mention my first PS3 died on me and I just got it back Monday. Customer support was great, but Sony isnt in my good graces atm.

My comment was in general, these early reviews piss me off to no limit, because 90% of them are negative, and are obviously nothing but poor propaganda to turn people away from buying X game.

"There's no star system Slave I can't reach, and there's no planet I can't find. There's nowhere in the Galaxy for you to run. Might as well give up now."
    — Boba Fett

See this is actually what's wrong with reviews today.

I find what Spatothan said about Heavenly Sword to be completely wrong. I downloaded the demo and I absolutely loved it. Even though it was only a few minutes worth of gameplay it was awesome. It was nothing like any version of diablo I've ever played. If I had to compare it to another game, I'd say it's like God of War with 2 injections of kickass and what looks like some excellent storytelling. It's incredibly fun and I'll definately be buying the game.

Reviewers do get early copies, and sometimes they will have the chance to play the game over 2 or 3 builds. For example the guys on the 1upyours podcast talked about getting different review copies of Lair. Initially they got to only play a few levels that were really fun and exciting. When they got a near final copy of the game and were allowed to play the full thing through, they felt like the game played very similar to rogue squadron.

The thing with reviews is there's about a million people doing reviews, and you can't take them all as gospel. What one person may love, another person may hate. The only way to really get any use out of reviews is to find a reviewer that tends to feel the same way about different games as you do. For example, I know that I tend to like the same types of games that Tycho from Penny Arcade does. Thus when he recommends a game, I'll usually try to check it out. I also know that any reviews at IGN really mean nothing to me cause I find alot of their reviews are just blowing smoke.

As far as sony tech support taking a long time to get your ps3 back to you, well they just haven't had as much practice fixing broken consoles as microsoft has 

• serjndestroyserjndestroy Member Posts: 69

I made sexy love explosion on my sixaxis once I got into Warhawk... Ground combat is good, but air combat is just plain win. Its a freaking experience to fly with a squadron of your team mates into the enemy, missiles, bullets, lightning everywhere, with flak and chaff clouding the skies.. Seeing the planes dodge and swirl and loop as if it is some acrobatic display..

Motorstorm, Warhawk and Oblivion made my PS3 worth it...

Hail DnDOnlinegames!

• CleffyIICleffyII Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,440

You can't forget Madden 2008.  No awkward feet work on the PS3 version unlike the XBox version because of precedural animations.

• BobCrazytonBobCrazyton Member UncommonPosts: 2,117
    Originally posted by CleffyII

You can't forget Madden 2008.  No awkward feet work on the PS3 version unlike the XBox version because of precedural animations.

I can if they make the same game every year.

• DraenorDraenor Member UncommonPosts: 7,918

Im not defending my new investment. I havnt read a shit of info on Lair, and I downloaded the demo for Heavenly Sword and it sucks, too fast paced and to much garble on the screen at once, its like Diablo 2 at 5X speed in the cow level, its not fun. Not to mention my first PS3 died on me and I just got it back Monday. Customer support was great, but Sony isnt in my good graces atm.

My comment was in general, these early reviews piss me off to no limit, because 90% of them are negative, and are obviously nothing but poor propaganda to turn people away from buying X game.

At least you already have yours back, I still don't have my 360 back

Your argument is like a two legged dog with an eating disorder...weak and unbalanced.

• BobCrazytonBobCrazyton Member UncommonPosts: 2,117
    Originally posted by Draenor

At least you already have yours back, I still don't have my 360 back

Ugh, I had to send mine out yesterday. The video went out in the middle of the Bioshock demo download.

Jesus Draenor, no 360 yet? You contacted them and requested the repair box over a week before my PS3 died. Ive had my PS3 back since Monday.

Anyways, I might screw with Warhawk, but im not too big on PvP style play personally.

— Boba Fett

• Malachi1975Malachi1975 Member Posts: 1,079

I am worried about posting with you guys. You all seem to have dying consoles. Is it contagious?  All mine are working like champs with some heavy use. 

Anyway, I have my copy of Warhawk sitting right next to me so I will probably give it a go this weekend. My girlfriend is flying off to Chile for 3 weeks for a wedding, so I will have a lot of time on my hands in the next few weeks. However, right now I am trying to spend as much time as possible with her before she leavs.

I think we should get the MMORPG.com'ers on a single server so we can shoot each other out of the sky while scream polical epitets at one another the whole time. It might be good for the nerves on these forums sometimes.

EDIT- If you want to find me on the PSN, same name as my screenie here <---------------

"What is it I have against Microsoft, you ask? Well, you know how you feel when you wait for an MMO to come out and when it does you feel like you've paid to play it's beta test for another 6-9 months before anything even thinks of working the way it should? Being a network engineer you feel that way about anything Microsoft puts out."

• Entreri28Entreri28 Member Posts: 589

Originally posted by Malachi1975

I think we should get the MMORPG.com'ers on a single server so we can shoot each other out of the sky while scream polical epitets at one another the whole time. It might be good for the nerves on these forums sometimes.

Speaking of which how do you get a bluetooth headset to work?  I don't have the one that came with warhawk, but I have one that is recognized by the ps3.  I don't know how to get it to work.

• methane47methane47 Member CommonPosts: 3,701

game is awesome.. since i've got it I've played ~16 hours of ranked games.. and I'm now ranked ~600th worldwide

What's your Wu Name?
    Donovan --> Wu Name = Violent Knight
    Methane47 --> Wu Name = Thunderous Leader
    "Some people call me the walking plank, 'cuz any where you go... Death is right behind you.."
    <i>ME<i>

• methane47methane47 Member CommonPosts: 3,701

Originally posted by Entreri28

Speaking of which how do you get a bluetooth headset to work?  I don't have the one that came with warhawk, but I have one that is recognized by the ps3.  I don't know how to get it to work.
    You need to register the headset with the PS3 first. So on the XMB go to audio devices and click register bluetooth device.. Then you would need to put your headset in Discovery mode ... Then the PS3 will find the headset and you are now registered.. Then just set any voice work to come through the Headset and configure the volume and everything and you are set.

What's your Wu Name?
    Donovan --> Wu Name = Violent Knight
    Methane47 --> Wu Name = Thunderous Leader
    "Some people call me the walking plank, 'cuz any where you go... Death is right behind you.."
    <i>ME<i>

Warhawk is absolutely awesome. If I had to describe it, it's Crimson Skies meets Battlefield with a few other bits and tads thrown in. Definately worth the purchase of my ps3 alone.

Further to what methane said about the bluetooth headset stuff, you may have to select it on the "Audio Settings" option of the settings list too (atleast I had to I think).

If anyone wants to find me on PSN my id is SonicStun