Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any tips on playing GW as a Old Newbie?

EvelknievelEvelknievel Member UncommonPosts: 2,964

I bought the game when it was released a couple a years ago. I must of invested a total of 12 hours to this game years ago, but quit since I got hit with the WoW bug and invested most of my time there.

WoW ended up being my Fantasy MMO and I forgot all the others. However I am seeing more people talking about GW now than ever. So I ended up re-installing my GW and started hitting the game. I havent played WoW for over a year now and it doesnt look like I am going back anytime soon to that game and thought I try something different.

Just a few simple questions..

1. Is it better to Level a Character 1 to 20 or should I just pick a already leveled toon?

2. Do i really need the expansions at this point in history?

3. With the upcoming release of GW2, whats the best advice you can give to a newbie?

Any other tips would be appreciated and thank you for your time.

Comments

• GodliestGodliest Member Posts: 3,486

Originally posted by HiGHPLaiNS
    I bought the game when it was released a couple a years ago. I must of invested a total of 12 hours to this game years ago, but quit since I got hit with the WoW bug and invested most of my time there.
    WoW ended up being my Fantasy MMO and I forgot all the others. However I am seeing more people talking about GW now than ever. So I ended up re-installing my GW and started hitting the game. I havent played WoW for over a year now and it doesnt look like I am going back anytime soon to that game and thought I try something different.
    1. Is it better to Level a Character 1 to 20 or should I just pick a already leveled toon?Roleplaying character (the one you must level) means you play the PvE part and can take part of the the PvP part too. PvP character can only access PvP but it starts at lvl 20.My suggestion is to start a roleplaying character, you haven't unlocked very many skills and through playing your rp char you can unlock more skills and then you can try out the PvP.2. Do i really need the expansions at this point in history?No.3. With the upcoming release of GW2, whats the best advice you can give to a newbie?It won't be released in a close future, I think it was 2009 or something. That's a pretty long time. My suggestion is to enjoy the game and have fun.Any other tips would be appreciated and thank you for your time.If you need help just add Dance With Spears, Dance With Light or Dance With Echoes and I suppose I could help you. I'm kind of busy though so don't expect me to be on all the time.

• EvelknievelEvelknievel Member UncommonPosts: 2,964

Thanks A Million Godliest to take the time to answer my questions. 

Going to role a RP and see where it goes from there. Again thanks alot for the info.

Thanks A Million Godliest to take the time to answer my questions. image
    Going to role a RP and see where it goes from there. Again thanks alot for the info.

That wasn't much. Just ask again if you need help, I'll do my best. Which isn't a lot, but still something.

• Lonesamurai1Lonesamurai1 Member Posts: 1,210

Originally posted by Godliest

1. Is it better to Level a Character 1 to 20 or should I just pick a already leveled toon?

Roleplaying character (the one you must level) means you play the PvE part and can take part of the the PvP part too. PvP character can only access PvP but it starts at lvl 20.
    My suggestion is to start a roleplaying character, you haven't unlocked very many skills and through playing your rp char you can unlock more skills and then you can try out the PvP.
    Also it must be noted that PvP characters have access to all available and unlocked skills straight away aswell as all unlocked weapon mods and runes on your account, new pvE characters have to search for, farm for, or buy them from a trainer
    PvE characters have access to better looking (but same stat) Armours and Weapons through out the chapters as you play through them, where as PvP characters have access to better skins through playing the Automatic Tournaments each month and gaining token that would can spend with Tolkano to change the Armour and Weapon skins for your PvP characters
    2. Do i really need the expansions at this point in history?
    No.
    Honestly?  Yes, they are part of a whole and you definately need all three chapters if you are serious about even taking part in PvP   Besides the fact they are so cheap now (you can find them brand new here in the UK for £10 each or at Fry's in the states for $20 each and GW:EN is out on Friday and most places are selling it for only £20/$40)
    3. With the upcoming release of GW2, whats the best advice you can give to a newbie?
    It won't be released in a close future, I think it was 2009 or something. That's a pretty long time. My suggestion is to enjoy the game and have fun.
    Closed Beta's are currently set for mid to late 2008 (probably Q3, July to September) maybe with some open betas around the same time...  From talking to NCSoft reps, it sounds like they would like to make it a 4th year anniversary release in 2009 and release it on the same day the original Guild Wars (Prophecies) was released
    Any other tips would be appreciated and thank you for your time.
    If you need help just add Dance With Spears, Dance With Light or Dance With Echoes and I suppose I could help you. I'm kind of busy though so don't expect me to be on all the time.

Look around for a good and active guild...  The game becomes very repetitive if you haven't got people to play it with...   and after 5000 hours of playing (I put a lot in before I found XFire and even then it doesn't include my beta play time) I can sometimes only bring myself to play with guildies.  But even then, Guild Wars is the back bone game for my guild and we regularly have vent users from the other guild games all together chatting as we do things and its just fun

My responses in Green, hope the words of an old GW vet help

~Lone

imageimage

• EvelknievelEvelknievel Member UncommonPosts: 2,964

Thanks again Godlest and Lonesamurai1 as well.. Definetly good stuff here.

Both you folks are great and thanks again for the wonderful tips  now its just up to me. Wish me luck 

Thanks again Godlest and Lonesamurai1 as well.. Definetly good stuff here.

Both you folks are great and thanks again for the wonderful tips image now its just up to me. Wish me luck image

Good luck have fun!

• AseenusAseenus Member UncommonPosts: 1,844

level ur character, its funner and u learn more about the game

• tilelantilelan Member Posts: 24

Please listen to me, I was the exact same way, this game is a digital trash can now.   I started back and now i wish i would of just bought bioshock instead. Hall of heroes= Rank 10 farm fest without any hope for a new player. Plus they Pick your builds which is a bunch of bullcrap. I want to play my own build.  There are so many counters to everything now it is rediculous and silly.. basically isnt any tactics anymore its just a spam fest of one thing or another...   if you play anyway dont say you were not warned. I started the first week of the game, I remember playing Hall of heroes challenge for hours and hours and it was fun, its nothing like that now. Add to that you do random arenas, you will have to deal with at least 1 person leaving 75% of the time so its 2 or 3 vs 4.  If i had a missle in my backyard id program it to hit the server cluster that houses guild wars. And thats another point, on my 12MB connection I rarely get below 200 ping, the servers must be in a underground bunker in afghanistan as I never get that much lag on any other online game I have played.

Yes I am angry, I once hailed this game, now it makes me sick to see how far its fallen.. When its all said and done it really is all about the benjamins,  they sold out..with each expansion comes along more stupid and imbalanced abilties.. that people will want to buy, great for their purses sucky for gamers.

PS-I hate this game...

• Lonesamurai1Lonesamurai1 Member Posts: 1,210

Originally posted by tilelan

Please listen to me, I was the exact same way, this game is a digital trash can now.   I started back and now i wish i would of just bought bioshock instead. Hall of heroes= Rank 10 farm fest without any hope for a new player. Plus they Pick your builds which is a bunch of bullcrap. I want to play my own build.  There are so many counters to everything now it is rediculous and silly.. basically isnt any tactics anymore its just a spam fest of one thing or another...   if you play anyway dont say you were not warned. I started the first week of the game, I remember playing Hall of heroes challenge for hours and hours and it was fun, its nothing like that now. Add to that you do random arenas, you will have to deal with at least 1 person leaving 75% of the time so its 2 or 3 vs 4.  If i had a missle in my backyard id program it to hit the server cluster that houses guild wars. And thats another point, on my 12MB connection I rarely get below 200 ping, the servers must be in a underground bunker in afghanistan as I never get that much lag on any other online game I have played.

Yes I am angry, I once hailed this game, now it makes me sick to see how far its fallen.. When its all said and done it really is all about the benjamins,  they sold out..with each expansion comes along more stupid and imbalanced abilties.. that people will want to buy, great for their purses sucky for gamers.

PS-I hate this game...
    Join a guild!

I regularly play wacky builds, because I have a guild that likes to experiment, if it doesn't work, then we've lost nothing...

Plus, if your intuitive your more likely to WIN halls due to NOT playing FotM

imageimage

• 8hammer88hammer8 Member Posts: 1,812

PS-I hate this game...
    This is the best flame thread I have seen in a while, I could almost see you turning different shades of red until finally after your last statement you exploded like a tea kettle.

First thing that confused me was you say  "I started back and now I wish I would have just bought Bioshock instead...," unless I am confused (which I could be because I am laughing so hard at your post), to "start back" mean that you had it before which means you should not have had to pay for it, therefore not precluding you from purchasing Bioshock.

Second, and this one really ticked my funny bone...you complain about the "imbalanced abilities" and you also complain about "too many counters to everything."  LOL...if there were so many imbalanced builds wouldn't there be less counters to things...you know the ALL PWNING BUILD.  There is none.  This game is so balanced it is crazy...it is so balanced any build you make I can beat in one way or another.  That makes for great PvP.

Third, keep in mind people play this game for different reasons and not everyone wants to PvP.  PvE's don't care about the HoH or RA or HA...so don't warn someone off who has been talking about PvE with a PvP rant.  By the way the first 10 times I encountered "Leavers" I got upset then I realized..."Wow...I am going to have a new match in 30 seconds, what does it matter?"

Lastly...I hope you have fun in whatever new game you are playing.  Good Luck.

"It is easier to be cruel than wise. The road to wisdom is long and difficult... so most people just turn out to be assholes" Feng (Christopher Walken)

Yes i said started back because I havent played it since i got lvl 20 two years ago, i had no expansions and unless im mistaken they didnt download for free.  Yes i said there are too many counters, you could say class lock abilties that are way overpowered, Blind is an example, it gives you nearly 100% to miss, plus can be spamed, add to that empathy + insiduous parasite as a warrior i am locked down just sitting there wasting a slot.  Now add constant interupts if your a caster, its not like these things have to be timed out or whatever, you just keep spaming whatever it is the whole time.  Then you add other things like assasins being able to teleport around and have such good defense as they do is stupid and lame, i dont care how much you try to argue with me about it i can see balance when its there..  Now add to their teleport ability shroud of silence, as a monk you cant cast because you silenced.. once again your locked down.   I stand by my statement, this game is a horse dung, pile of trash and im ashamed i payed more than 1 dollar for it. Its not balanced, at all.. The counters to everything were the imbalanced abilities i was talking about.. really.. not just a counter more like domination of said class.. which as i said wastes a character slot in a group.. its not fun so I have moved on. I am sure there is someone out there that has a understanding of what i am talking about here.

• seabluesseablues Member Posts: 58

Yes i said started back because I havent played it since i got lvl 20 two years ago, i had no expansions and unless im mistaken they didnt download for free.  Yes i said there are too many counters, you could say class lock abilties that are way overpowered, Blind is an example, it gives you nearly 100% to miss, plus can be spamed, add to that empathy + insiduous parasite as a warrior i am locked down just sitting there wasting a slot.  Now add constant interupts if your a caster, its not like these things have to be timed out or whatever, you just keep spaming whatever it is the whole time.  Then you add other things like assasins being able to teleport around and have such good defense as they do is stupid and lame, i dont care how much you try to argue with me about it i can see balance when its there..  Now add to their teleport ability shroud of silence, as a monk you cant cast because you silenced.. once again your locked down.   I stand by my statement, this game is a horse dung, pile of trash and im ashamed i payed more than 1 dollar for it. Its not balanced, at all.. The counters to everything were the imbalanced abilities i was talking about.. really.. not just a counter more like domination of said class.. which as i said wastes a character slot in a group.. its not fun so I have moved on. I am sure there is someone out there that has a understanding of what i am talking about here.

thats ur idea of pvp, LOL.  Noone runs a N/Me with empathy and IP, Blind can be removed, be nice to a monk.  Sins have good defense? LOL.  The last time anyone ran Shroud of silence it was like a year ago and it was on a sword war.  It sounds like u got ur ass handed to you in RA and just want to bitch about it.

PS people run certain bars cause they work.  If your new to HA or w/e and u have human teammates, stfu and listen to your teammates, your new.  It takes so long to get a pug of 8 good people it sucks a lot when some scrub ruins by running w/e the hell he thinks is good.

• LydonLydon Member UncommonPosts: 2,938

you will have to deal with at least 1 person leaving 75% of the time so its 2 or 3 vs 4. 

If people leave 75% of the time...why does the opposing team always have 4 members and your team have the leavers?

I finally understand your complaint....you think Guild Wars is an individual sport, you poor soul.  This is not a game where your character can do everything, you have to have the help of your teammates.   Maybe you have been playing in RA thinking that is actual PvP that is a reflection of the game as a whole.  Most of the time monks bring things like Dismiss Condition / Draw Condition / Purge Condition / Contemplation of Purity (for themselves...dont see this one a lot even) to take care of conditions like blind and there are multiple others for Hex removal.  You have to rely on your teammates in this game and if you ever realized thise, your view of the game may have changed.

You also keep talking about assassins as if they are godly...lmao....they are the quickest to die 90% of the time.  They have weak armor, their skills rely on chain combos and they teleport yes, but that does not always save them.  So if I gave you counters to each sin build you mentioned, would that mean all of a sudden my builds are over-powered and imbalaced because they defeat the sins you have a problem with?  I am guessing you feel the same way about rock / paper / scissors too, you complain paper is overpowered and imbalanced because you keep throwing rock and can't understand how you keep losing?

Overall I think you have been punked by a Mesmer and you are still bitter.

"It is easier to be cruel than wise. The road to wisdom is long and difficult... so most people just turn out to be assholes" Feng (Christopher Walken)

Originally posted by VIOL@TION

you will have to deal with at least 1 person leaving 75% of the time so its 2 or 3 vs 4. 

If people leave 75% of the time...why does the opposing team always have 4 members and your team have the leavers?

If a noob falls in RA and no one is around to see it...

Originally posted by VIOL@TION

Well often the other team does have leavers but generally if no one leaves on either side it usually means in the case of RA one team has a monk and the other doesnt. 

I also dont think guildwars is a solo sport I remember the awesome battles in the hall of heroes long ago. I remember those battles where it came down to the last second. Thats what made me love guild wars, that is gone except to the ultra hardcore with rank 10 or higher characters. And I knew the whole bring a monk thing was gona come along eventially, but you know blinds are chain castable, so I will be blinded even if the monk cast cures on me the whole time, and of course he cant do that because hes got the whole enemy team beating on him. I think if there was a way to get new players and returning players into hall of heroes easier then it might be ok where the game is definately more balanced on a 8 man team but there isnt. I am rank 4 from my previous play time and it takes 2 hours just to get a group much less a good one.  You guys can flame me all you want but im speaking from my own experience, I dont know how else to say it.  There are times when it can be fun, especially at first but the more you play the more things stand out.

Originally posted by seablues

thats ur idea of pvp, LOL.  Noone runs a N/Me with empathy and IP, Blind can be removed, be nice to a monk.  Sins have good defense? LOL.  The last time anyone ran Shroud of silence it was like a year ago and it was on a sword war.  It sounds like u got ur ass handed to you in RA and just want to bitch about it.

PS people run certain bars cause they work.  If your new to HA or w/e and u have human teammates, stfu and listen to your teammates, your new.  It takes so long to get a pug of 8 good people it sucks a lot when some scrub ruins by running w/e the hell he thinks is good.

Sure some scrub joins with W/E as you say but why does that make him a bad player ? You HAVE to be a copy/paste build or you wont get into the HOH group. Why couldnt a W/E or W/whatever be any good..  people are so locked down into what THEY think is good they automatically jump on the back of someone trying to come up with their own builds using about 1% of their brain power. Its rediculous, and of course no matter how successful you are within a group the moment you lose a match its your fault for runing a build thats not a copy of every other players out there.  Im sorry I just dont like it,  there was no dictatorship back when i played, you were good based on your skill as a player, now your skill is automatically calculated on wether you run build flavor of the month or not.

Originally posted by seablues

Sure some scrub joins with W/E as you say but why does that make him a bad player ? You HAVE to be a copy/paste build or you wont get into the HOH group. Why couldnt a W/E or W/whatever be any good..  people are so locked down into what THEY think is good they automatically jump on the back of someone trying to come up with their own builds using about 1% of their brain power. Its rediculous, and of course no matter how successful you are within a group the moment you lose a match its your fault for runing a build thats not a copy of every other players out there.  Im sorry I just dont like it,  there was no dictatorship back when i played, you were good based on your skill as a player, now your skill is automatically calculated on wether you run build flavor of the month or not.

But don't you see the irony in what you are saying...

You are saying Guild Wars fails as a game because one aspect of it does not appeal to you.  HoH is the W/E you are trying to defend in your post.  If you were to complain about HoH and curse RA  instead of drawing your conclusion about the ENTIRE game because of your experiences there, I would have laughed and agreed with you.  But you are taking a somewhat small (while still important) portion of the game (HoH) and calling  the whole game complete BS.  There are soooo many people that don't PvP who don't give a crap about your complains for HoH, normally I would not either, but you are flaming the game over a PvP section mostly.

There has always been a meta-game build process in place...your team gets youass handed to you by another, "Damn maybe we should try that."  But now with the ability to watch the top teams whenever you want....copycating has been taken to another level because everyone wants to get to the top and use what the top teams are using.  But the is always new builds popping up over time.  Ebb and flow, that is what this game does...builds and counters.

But please remember, the best cure for the complaint about no one letting you into a group because you dont have the right build is to start your own group.  Pick your own team and have at it.  Or as Lone said in an earlier post, get in a guild that likes to PvP and practice builds that you like to play.