Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VG Status

Hey!

I was planning on checking VG as soon as the server got merged.  Any random thoughts so far?  I might move my guy from the PVP to the PVE.

eqnext.wikia.com

Comments

• mmcguire2mmcguire2 Member Posts: 310

I said this before, VG has a lot to offer but it got off to a bad start.  I am playing on the new server and I think its great, the biggest part of an MMO is the community and VGs has always been great it was just scattered.  I also understand the next merger will take all the PvP servers, both team and FFA, and merge them to one FFA.  If you are looking for more people to chat and group with I would recommend moving to the new server.

On behalf of Xeth, welcome

• JhustynJhustyn Member UncommonPosts: 109

I just started back about a month before the server merge.....(server is currently being merged, henceforth...im here trollin the forums)...............

I am expecting a wild west atmosphere when the pvp servers are merged.....I really like how far the game has come though......and with a population boom from all the merges....I think the game will be even better....hope to see you on the ffa server soon. 

• boojiboyboojiboy Member UncommonPosts: 1,553

Originally posted by matraque

Hey!
    I was planning on checking VG as soon as the server got merged.  Any random thoughts so far?  I might move my guy from the PVP to the PVE.
    I've always liked this game from the start, and I've been lucky with my rig with relative few technical issues (3-year old Alienware with 8800 GTX upgrade).  Over the past few months I've found myself addicted and in love with this game.... it just continues to open up and expand as you level in the different spheres.

Now, with the merge, it's also a very populated world... too much in some places ( I counted 38 people just inside the south Khal bank last night). 

Finally, I've always been a PvE guy and I think this game hits the spot for that.

• ZippyZippy Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,412

It all depends on taste.  But these are my random thoughts.

1.  The core systems of VG are the best by far of any game on the market.  The combat system is very well done.  The ability to have a defensive and offensive target plus all the mobs in a queue your fighting is brilliant.  All games should copy that.  The classes are the most unique and diverse of any game on the market.  There are some really well done classes.  Crafting system is fantastic.  Maybe tedious but the core system of each combine encounter is unlike any game and very well done.  The world is amazing and huge.

2.  VG has more content than any game out there.  It has amazing amount of quests and 4 leveling areas for each level.  The problem is not lack of content but that the content in the game is not always well done.  A lot of areas and quests are unfinished and unpolished.  What sticks out in peoples mind is the lack of content at max level.  There is very little to do and leveling is quick.

3.  Dungeons  VG has some very nice dungeons.  The best dingeons of any game we have seen since EQ1.

4.  Solo/Duo game.  The game is more a solo/duo game than a group game.  It is very easy to solo to max level just on quests with no grinding.  They really need to give people more of an incentive to group.

5.  Leveling Speed is fast.  Presently it takes most people 5-20 days played to reach max level.  Much faster then people think.  But good gear, doing the quests and a knowledge of where to level is a must.

6.  Populaton Seemed to be picking up a lot the last week and the forst day of the merger Seradon was packed yesterday.  Are people coming back? Will people stay?  Can the game start to grow?  Very debatable questions.

7.  Development  Since SOE took oevr development has basically stopped.  They have finished the projects Sigil was working on such as the new LFG system, brotherhood system. added quests that were beong worked on and a few other things.  But if Sigil was in charge most likely all of this would have been in the game in May.  SOE cut the staf in half in May and the staff worked signigant less hours.  They have since pulled many people from VG to other games.  We do nto know the staff size but give the lack of content it does not appear many people are working on the game.  Although there are things to be excioted about such as crafting centers in player cities next patch.

8.  Perfomance  Many people have experienced perfomance increases the last few 3 months many have not.  When SOE took ove rthe games population was 90k now its 20k which would make one think perforamce should be a lot better.  Servers with the merges now should be about as full as they were in May which should let us see if perfomance has actually improved.  On my system it has gotten worse the only performance improvement I have seen is that SOE has removed the CTD bugs they intoduced.  Perfomance was bad yesterday but I am sure there was a lot more people logged on as it was the 1st day.  Khal was packed yesterday.  I saw 50 people at the bank alone.  It remains to be seen if performance will get better.

9.  Hardware requirements  Along with perfomance this is probably what kills VG the most.  My perfomance on a good system has never been a problem except for the SOE introducded CTD bug a few months ago.  Even at release I would never crash or lag.  But for most people the system requirements are to high.  On my second computer the game is painful to play and I would not play this game of that was my main computer.  The hardware requirements have to eliminate I am guessing 80% of the people that would consider playing the game.  I can't see this changing much for a few years.

10.  Lack of finish and polish  There is nothing average about VG either its really good or really bad.  As good as the core systems are the game s polish and finish is awful.  There are some places in VG they look amazing and some places that look terrible and unfinished.  The same with quests.   Tons of places you can still fall or see through the world.  But in VGS defense the lower level 1-40 gameplay is amazingly better.  I ahd a chance to run some alts thru the low level gameplay and there are so many more quests.  Some very good.  Some not so good.  But the low level gameplay is a lot better.  I do not like the emphasis on solo.duo play.  But thats my opinion but the gameplay is getting better.  But it still has a long ways to go to being in a release ready state.

Vanguard is the best bad game I have ever played.  While VG is IMO the best game on the market by far I agree its also a bad unfinished game I cannot recommend without a long disclaimer.  There are so many really wonderful things about VG and so many bad things about it.  Unfortunately its time and oppurtunity to succeed has probably passed.  Its reputation is awful, distorted and proably unrepairable for some time.  The rate of content development has slowed to a snail pace and SOE seems to have given up on the game for the foreseeable future.  Its such a shame if Sigil could have gotten more time on their balloon payment die MS in April and kept this game in development for 1-2 years more it could have been a truly great game.  Instead it will always be tarnished with that awful potential label.  I have played lots of bad games before and none of them had such great core systems such as VG. Sigil should eb really complimented for being so over ambitious and spending so much time making the core gameplay so good.  They should also take the blame for thinking they could release a game with so many features. 

In summary if you play VG you need to enjoy it for what it is not for what it is not.  I doubt it will ever become the anything clsoe to the game we all want it to be.  But its also a very good game and worth playing if you have the system to play it.  My apologies about the length of this answer.

• UgaritUgarit Member Posts: 213

Hi

imo this game is really interesting, a lot of things to do and somethings you can't find in other mmorpgs.

In my top 5 with Dark Age of Camelot, Ultima Online Anarchy Online , Eve Online.

Had a very very bad start but i think SOE gonna make a nice game with VG 2nd edition.

Works perfectly with my computer

no crashes no freezes etc

perfect. (dual core 3 go ram 512 mo ram ATI)

A RPG !

--------------

@ Zippy

+1

• matraquematraque Member Posts: 1,431

I have played and like the game, don't get me wrong.

I have a lvl 37 bard on Varking.  I stoped playing in hope the merge will make the pops better.

I might give it a try tonight.

Thanks all!

eqnext.wikia.com