Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

System upgraded: Can I run it now?

I bought Vanguard when it first started and didn't have the system for it. Only way to describe it was a slide show. My fiance and I both love the game and her system can run it and now I'm getting the following system. Can I run it now with mid to high settings?

Mobo: EVGA nForce 590 SLI Socket AM2

Proc: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor 6000+ Socket AM2

Mem: CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel

Vid: eVGA GF8800 GTS 320MB PCIe (only one )

Waiting on the proc and mobo to arrive come Friday. I was going to preinstall if you all thought I'd be okay for playing. Whats the verdict?

Comments

• ImArchimedesImArchimedes Member Posts: 7

Hmmmm... Maybe no one knows : (

• Cybeldia12Cybeldia12 Member UncommonPosts: 72

I wouldn't see why it has problems you may not be able to run the game at max everything but you should be able to run it. My systems not as good as yours and can run it fine.

• winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281

Originally posted by ImArchimedes

I bought Vanguard when it first started and didn't have the system for it. Only way to describe it was a slide show. My fiance and I both love the game and her system can run it and now I'm getting the following system. Can I run it now with mid to high settings?

Mem: CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel

Waiting on the proc and mobo to arrive come Friday. I was going to preinstall if you all thought I'd be okay for playing. Whats the verdict?
     Last I heard VG doesn't like the 8800 graphics cards, and has alot of glitches with them, but that was months ago so they may have gotten around to supporting them by now. The real question is not can you run VG but why would you want to... urr oops sorry  now I'm just starting to sound like a troll  My bad

Still if you like a VG type of game EQ2 does it much better and is much more stable IMO. Just ask some of the old VG fans here like Healz4u.

in any case have fun! 

• KilmarKilmar Member UncommonPosts: 844

I've a 8800 GTX and VG works fine. In wilderness I can play with highest settings.

On high? Really? I just remember that thing being such a beast. Did things improve with a patch? Or maybe I underestimated the difference between my old 2.5 single core proc versus the new dual core. Is it really that much of a leap though? I mean, I had a X800 vid card and a gig of ram. How much of a change am I going to see in Van? From what you say, it sounds like I might see a pretty large leap in all gaming. Or am I just getting my hopes up?

• JK-KanosiJK-Kanosi Member Posts: 1,357

VG and EQ2 are two different games. Vanguard allows for a more selection of starting areas, a different take on classes, 3 continents to start with, a seamless world, the ability to create houses that can be seen by all, and guildhouses.

EQ2 may be more stable, but it is zone heavy which kills the game for me, the classes are boring (to me), and something just didn't feel right about that game. I just wasn't having fun.

In VG, I was having a lot of fun with my classes, diplomacy, and crafting plus the world felt huge...something EQ2 didn't feel like due to the heavy zoning. The reason why I am not playing VG is because the game needs a sizable community to do all the quests. I didn't like having to skip group quests, because everyone was either already high level or because no one new was playing. IF/When VG pulls out of their population rutt, I may come back to try it.

MMORPG's w/ Max level characters: DAoC, SWG, & WoW

Currently Playing: WAR
    Preferred Playstyle: Roleplay/adventurous, in a sandbox game.

• JK-KanosiJK-Kanosi Member Posts: 1,357

On high? Really? I just remember that thing being such a beast. Did things improve with a patch? Or maybe I underestimated the difference between my old 2.5 single core proc versus the new dual core. Is it really that much of a leap though? I mean, I had a X800 vid card and a gig of ram. How much of a change am I going to see in Van? From what you say, it sounds like I might see a pretty large leap in all gaming. Or am I just getting my hopes up?

I'm not familiar with laptop platforms, so I can't really help you there. But I am familiar with desktops and know what could run it.

First off, on low to mid settings my Pent. Duo Core 3.0ghz, w/ 1gig of DDR2 RAM @5400, w/ a 7300 geforce card could  run fine just one month ago.

I would recommend something equivalent of above a geforce 7950GT, 2gigs of DDR2 RAM @6400 or better, and a Duo Core 3.0 or higher processor to run this game on mid-high settings.

Either way, all setups have had Crash to Desktop issues (some get lucky and don't have any at all), and all setups had problems crossing chunk lines. So don't let those two problems worry you about the performance of your machine, because that is a problem on their side. Just adjust your settings to where you can play w/ 15 fps or better in a group and in crowdier settings.

MMORPG's w/ Max level characters: DAoC, SWG, & WoW

Currently Playing: WAR
    Preferred Playstyle: Roleplay/adventurous, in a sandbox game.

Originally posted by JK-Kanosi

I'm not familiar with laptop platforms, so I can't really help you there. But I am familiar with desktops and know what could run it.

First off, on low to mid settings my Pent. Duo Core 3.0ghz, w/ 1gig of DDR2 RAM @5400, w/ a 7300 geforce card could  run fine just one month ago.

I would recommend something equivalent of above a geforce 7950GT, 2gigs of DDR2 RAM @6400 or better, and a Duo Core 3.0 or higher processor to run this game on mid-high settings.

Either way, all setups have had Crash to Desktop issues (some get lucky and don't have any at all), and all setups had problems crossing chunk lines. So don't let those two problems worry you about the performance of your machine, because that is a problem on their side. Just adjust your settings to where you can play w/ 15 fps or better in a group and in crowdier settings.

Laptop? no no no, its a desktop.

• Die_ScreamDie_Scream Member Posts: 1,785

Geez, if you can't run it on high settings I'd be surprised! Thats a pretty sweet rig. Although, as someone else said, I haven't heard if they have fixed the 8800 problem yet.

*scowling at my aging rig*

• jonaylwardjonaylward Member Posts: 87

I quit months ago, but it wasn't over performance issues.

It ran pretty darn well at medium-high settings at launch on my X2 4200, 2GB, and 7900GS.

Can't imagine you'll have an issue.

• RonnyRulzRonnyRulz Member Posts: 479

Yes, absolutely.

My friend ran with his laptop, which is a 2.0GHz Turion 64 (not multithreaded or dual core, just one core at 2.0GHz), 128MB mobile graphics card ATI x700, 1GB ram. He ran on low-medium settings, with tweaks.

I ran it on almost-max settings (Some settings turn down or off, but most on maximum and highest, with a very high 1920x1080 resolution, which is slightly above 1600x1200) and I have a....

Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz, 512MB 7950 GT, and 2GB of DDR2 800mhz ram (running under 800MHz of course)

Your processor might not be a Core 2 Duo, but your performance cap isn't going to be your processor. Both of our processors are a lot faster than our video cards, so they're plenty. Your ram is good, 2GB is what I had, and is enough.

Your graphics card is double the power of my graphics card. Enough said.

You'll not only be able to run the game, but you'll be able to run the game on VERY high settings, if not highest (with some tweaks of course). Depends on your desired FPS and resolution. But I had very very high settings at 20-40 fps with only half the power graphics card.

• nakumanakuma Member UncommonPosts: 1,310

ive have a similar set up, i have a 5600 x2 but i have a 8800 GTS 640mb by LEADTEK i run it almost maxed out i tend to reduce a few sliders here and there so i can keep overall smooth performance but otherwise id reckon i ran it at 95% max settigns at 1680x1050. so with GU#2 the performanc eover all increased pretty good deal. your 8800 GTS tends to be limited only in memory bandwidth due to the lack of memory it has. but overall the experience should be good.

3.4ghz Phenom II X4 965, 8GB PC12800 DDR3 GSKILL, EVGA 560GTX 2GB OC, 640GB HD SATA II, BFG 1000WATT PSU. MSI NF980-G65 TRI-SLI MOBO.

• RonnyRulzRonnyRulz Member Posts: 479

Performance is constantly improving with patches. While I was playing months ago (It was March or April I think) there was one patch which gave me a 10+++ fps boost. I was heavily impressed.

The difference in quality isn't going to be your CPU, but your video card.

Going from a 2.5GHz single core to a AMD 64 x2 is going to be a big improvement, but nothing compared to going from a x800 to a 8800 GTS.

The 8800GTS series is the second best graphics card out there, next to the GTX group. The 320MB compared to 640MB only has a difference in SOME GAMES, and only with the Nvidia's Control Panel's Anisotrophic and Antialiasing filtering turned on. A higher resolution won't be affected by having a 640MB version instead of 320MB, that's a myth. As I said, the ONLY difference between the two is AA and Ani in SOME games, which isn't a big difference at all, especially since most games don't have AA or Ani, and those that do rarely go above x4. AA and Ani is mostly controlled via the Nvidia Control Panel.

I disapprove of AntiAliasing (AA) because it gives practically no graphics improvement at higher resolutions, but is a BIG drain on FPS and performance. In some games, it makes absolutely NO difference, except for draining your FPS performance. EQ2 is one example of this. But I do love Anisotrophic filtering, it makes everything look more detailed and better. With that said, I'd buy a 320MB because it's not worth the $100, but I would prefer a 640MB version if the difference was more.

Since the 320MB and 640Mb are practically the same, you have the SECOND BEST graphics card on the market right now. Only thing better is the incredibly expensive GTX.

• eugameugam Member UncommonPosts: 984

The game improved a lot and your rig improved a lot. Why shouldnt the game run much better ?

I can play also on highest BUT !!! you have to turn down a few things. Like who cares if you have 16 or 4 max. lightsources. YOu hardly will ever see a difference. Same for shadows. Yuu will need to turn down deatils a bit.

Wow! I get online today and find everyone responded helfully and positively. Thank you all so much for your input. I've got it installing remotely from here at work as we speak. Thanks again and see you all around on the boards.

• UgaritUgarit Member Posts: 213

VG works perfectly with my computer

Dual core

3 Go ram

ATI 512

Win XP pro

ImArchimedes Imo your computer is VG ready