Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will a European player get any enjoyment??

nixis00nixis00 Member Posts: 2

Hallo fellowers,

I'm thinking about having a go in SWG.

What is preventing me are the many critics over the game..

I consider myself more a RP rather than a PK..

I enjoy building up teams and friendships to face the different missions/tasks/duties and the everyday..

I tend to give the game 1.2 hrs x day.. maybe push it a bit more in the w.e. when I have time..

So, I'd like to have an environment where I could find a 'mature' playing and fun..

i.e. no 13yrs olders hacking+bashing+SHOUTING all the time...

Still, the big issue is that I'm in Europe, and I would need some good comunity to interact with..

I can see that the big part of the players is in US.

I wonder if from Europe I would still be able to get good gaming..

Especially, I see many fun events.. but they are often not suitable for Europe..

LET me Know!!

logout.

Nix image

Comments

• DustyBallzDustyBallz Member Posts: 152

I say go for it. There are Euro servers. The attitude of most people I see in-game is mostly mature. There is shouting, but most of it is someone advertising a service or selling goods. There are bad apples in any MMORPG, but SWG seems to keep most of the bloodthirsty kiddies on a couple servers. Personally, I play on Chilastra. At least give the 14 day trial a go, see if you like it, I think you'll be interested.

MMORPG -- Where's the RP?

MMORPG -- Where's the RP?

• CthulhuvongCthulhuvong Member UncommonPosts: 433

If you're looking for more RP, try Europe-Chimera (I know I spelled that wrong), they are more mature and the entire city of Mos Eisley is a roleplaying area. You should have fun there.

If you'd like to try one of the other servers, Valcyn is a great server. And its the unofficial Aussie/Kiwi server, so there are a ton of people on all the time. And the majority of players are mature and respectful (the are always bad apples of course).

Star Wars: Galaxies - Ibra Olasi (Valcyn Server)

Waiting For: something good
    Games Tried: SWTOR, Star Trek Online, EQ, EQ2, Earth and Beyond, Planetside, Lineage 2, Eve Online, WoW, City of Heroes, City of Villians, Auto Assault, Fallen Earth
    Star Wars: Galaxies - Ibra Olasi (Valcyn Server) [Dead, screw you SOE]

• DjinDjin Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,263

I'm from the United States and I play on that server "Europe-Chimera"...  The first day I was there someone gave me 50k credits, sliced my weapon and then stayed with me for a week to help me get off the ground.

The people are very mature... no one's named "UberWookieMan" or if you duel someone and die no one runs around saying "Joo b33n owned!" or HaxoR crap...

It's a very nice server, tons of people and myself and my buddy are also on that server too.  I am Skaari Ju'Jop :)

There's also no lag for me... and I'm across the Atlantic Ocean.

What will he do next?
  • panachepanache Member UncommonPosts: 397

Lo mukka! I'm a brit and have played on what was the "unofficial euro server" Eclipse. There are still a lot of brit's around. I did try one of the euro servers after they were launched but it seemed populated with mostly dutch and others continental types...so stuck with Eclipse. If were you create alts on all the servers and see what you make of the communities.

The SWG community i have always found a tough nut to crack. People at one time quit the game with frequent regularity and at christmas all dissapeared into a "holo" grind of afk'ing and solo playing. Most of the guilds are made of players since day 1 and its very hard to find one....but that could just be me :) Soloing is VERY easy in SWG...no hanging around for ages waiting for someone to go to bed so you can jump into his spot ala Daoc.

I would say try it and see and my advice is go novice brawler, then swordsman or TKA...quickest way to make money :)

Cyaz best of luck :)

Pan

Pan

• Originally posted by nixis00

Hallo fellowers,

Hello!

I'm thinking about having a go in SWG.

If you are first a Star Wars fan, and second a casual player aka you have 1-3 hours free time to play each session, and you are NOT out to be the Uberest Jedi dude, then you have the best chances of liking SWG.

What is preventing me are the many critics over the game..

Critics at this site = roughly the same 12 posters over and over.

Fans of SWG = 200,000 thousand plus who all have voted with their wallets, purses, and pocketbooks.

I consider myself more a RP rather than a PK..

SWG is about choices. It is the MMORPG with the most choices on how to play. PvP (which is not to be confused with PK. PK is synonomous with griefing aka on purpose trying to make the game unfun for other players.) Anyway, no one can kill you unless you first give them permission to kill you. You have to go out of your way to "Declare" yourself. SWG is not like UO when UO first released. I suggest you browse the forums at the Official SWG site, and check out the forums for whatever server you pick to play on. Look for any RP minded PA's. Or make a new post saying you are looking for a mostly RP PA (PA - Player Association. Simular in other games to guilds, clans, etc...)

I enjoy building up teams and friendships to face the different missions/tasks/duties and the everyday..

SWG gives you the choice to play this way, if you want to. I suggest you join a PA of like minded people.

I tend to give the game 1.2 hrs x day.. maybe push it a bit more in the w.e. when I have time..

SWG definatly is playable for people who have a LIFE in real life.

So, I'd like to have an environment where I could find a 'mature' playing and fun..

i.e. no 13yrs olders hacking+bashing+SHOUTING all the time...

Sadly, ALL MMORPGs will have 'immature' players. BTW, they come in all ages. The main thing IMHO is joining a group of players with the simular goals and playstyle as you. That way whenever you log on, you have a friends list, and/or guild/clan/PA that you can always team up with to immerse yourself in the game the way you want to be immersed. You will then have less chances of having to run into and put up with immature players, and l00t d00ds.

Still, the big issue is that I'm in Europe, and I would need some good comunity to interact with..

SWG from the start had 1 Unofficial Europe server. SWG has recently in the past few months opened FIVE NEW official European servers. Each server can store 24,000 player characters and allow 12,000 players to play online at the same time. So that is 124,000 total new official European players at the most. With 60,000 new official European players online at the same time at the most. Is 30,000 to 60,000 to 124,000 new European players enough for you to have fun with? imageimageimage

I can see that the big part of the players is in US.

Yes true. Hey, Star Wars itself is USA created, made... George Lucas is an American. Heheh... One of his earliest movies is the ultra classic American Graffiti  (came out in 1968?) (which had a very familiar Star Wars actor in it! image ) But there are still thousands of European players. BTW, since the internet is worldwide, and knows no boundaries, boarders, nationalities, in a way there are no Europeans, Americans, Asians, Africans, South Americans - there are only just Star Wars fans! imageimage

I wonder if from Europe I would still be able to get good gaming..

Especially, I see many fun events.. but they are often not suitable for Europe..

LET me Know!!

logout.

Nix image

The majority of European players playing SWG have no problems with connections, lag, etc. You do need a high end computer. Current recommended specs are GeForce 4 Graphics Card, or equivilant. 1 GIG memory or more. SWG is playable on a 56k connection. Though a faster connection is even better (heck better for any game, and for regular internet surfing.)

Check out Stratics.com for more in depth info on SWG:

http://swg.stratics.com/

=========================
    ======= SIGNATURE =========
    =========================
    MMORPG games I've played:
    -------------------------
    http://community.webshots.com/user/xplororor

Star Wars Galaxies:
    -------------------
    http://community.webshots.com/user/capt_xplororor

More games:
    -----------
    http://community.webshots.com/user/xplororor_archives01

• jeppe__jeppe__ Member Posts: 2

Im from sweden and I had the same problem when i first started playing SWG. But it didnt take long for me to convince all my MMORPG friends here in sweden to choose SWG as there no.1 MMORPG and that helpt alot i can say, and when they opened the european servers it wasnt even a problem anymore. 

So today it shouldnt be any problems for u to find som real european SWG geeks out there :) 

So go for it.

• crockcrock Member Posts: 556

i hate star wars movies
    first 3 ok)
    but last 2...bs like matrix 2 and 3 if not worse
    but i still play it...best sci-fi (hard to say star wars is sci-fi) mmorpg right now
    not perfect at all ..but still the best

connection to US servers is ok
    but not for big PvP...u lag and die
    btw i think euro servers = bad servers hardware
    sonny politics in any game..planetside too

• 51505150 Member UncommonPosts: 222

My ping (from UK on 1Mb caqble) to Eclipse (US server) is 150 average, to Infinity (Europe server) its about 50

I do tend to get bigger lag spikes when playing on Eclipse but then alot of lag problems are actually client-side (you really do need a meaty machine or need to turn off lots of the options or accept the lag spikes when entering cities) - that said I've been playing on Eclipse for 12 months now on a Duron 1300 512MB WinME, Geforce 4 Ti4200 128MB so its definately playable