Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why GW over EQ2 and WoW

13»

Comments

• UberXUberX Member Posts: 60

Originally posted by ramadin
    I tested GW already and its not a very good game. Basically just Diablo2 in 3D. Not to mention its not even an MMORPG so stop comparing it to EQ2 and WoW.

Why do you believe it is not an MMO? Merely because more of its areas are instanced? The characters are persistent- you can join up with any number (within limits, of course. But that limitation is in all MMO's) of random people across the Internet. Except that this game reduces the problems of kill-stealing and loot-stealing. The combat is more fast-paced and strategically minded than most MMO's, discouragin bots. You have cities, which are full of people, where you can talk and chat with others, learn skills, buy items, craft items... What is different that makes the game not an MMO?

I myself never played Diablo2. But, I'll tell you one thing. I've played other MMO's. I've never had such immersion or fun as I did in GW. I never once looked at the clock when I started playing for the first time- unlike any other MMO. It's controls, even at the Alpha stage, were easy to pick up. Monsters had better AI (for the most part. There were pathfinding problems, but that's something that can be more easily rectified than problems other MMO AI's have) than just about any other MMO I've played.

Ah well. It's your choice.

but it might have cheaters w/o the servers and stuff like that

Eh? How is this supposed to make sense? What connection does having shards have to do with whether or not a game has cheaters? It all depends on what games have the easiest routines to program in, and how much attention the support team gives to the subject.

• shadojoshadojo Member Posts: 15

Originally posted by Brutux

*might* suck and probably will. This is just like Diablo 2 in 3d well put this is what i thought when i tried the E3 thing.

I dont see how you could compare it to diablo2 which is several years old...only because it has servers? A game that you could compare to diablo2 is Sacred which is not bad but is just like it. the game play is different than diablo2 and the pvp is different(and is better than EQ's). And you would know that if you actually did play it at E3.

• 2pacalypse2pacalypse Member Posts: 198

Even if it was like a 3rd person diablo 2 with better missions that actually mean something to play them ( exept for the couple of skills missions in acts  1,2,4 )  then i think thats a great concept to build a game on because diablo 2 had hundreds of thousands of players for over 3 years.

I beleive though there is no comparison between the 2 exept for same class names ( Necromancer , Elementalist ... ) but i wouldn't mind it having the success that D2 had

GW Alpha Member

Legion of Exile

• ghoul31ghoul31 Member Posts: 1,955

THere is no free lunch. Games that charge  a monthly fee will have more content to begin with, and will be able to add more content as the game goes on.

Some people will be happy with the content in GW and some won't.

Just like some people love  Quake and never get tired of it and some people get tired of it quickly.

• bballermc333bballermc333 Member Posts: 283

Originally posted by Brutux
    Originally posted by ramadin
    I tested GW already and its not a very good game. Basically just Diablo2 in 3D. Not to mention its not even an MMORPG so stop comparing it to EQ2 and WoW.

Laying in bed, looking up at the stars, a single thought passed through my head. Where the fuck is my roof?

GW is an ok game but i think it will have more younger players who can't get mom or dad or are too damn lazy to get a job for 15$ a month so the community *might* suck and probably will. This is just like Diablo 2 in 3d well put this is what i thought when i tried the E3 thing. Now I'm not saying this game will completely suck but it might have cheaters w/o the servers and stuff like that. I think WoW and Eq2 (especially WoW ::::28::) will out sell this game but this game is worth getting if u can't afford the monthly fee and dont care for cheaters ::::21::.

Well considering the new STEAM D/L thing there will be no cheaters/hackers, even if there were, the problem would be sovled in less then an hour....just because theres no mounthy fee doesnt mean this game wont be good

Guild wars..........

• 2pacalypse2pacalypse Member Posts: 198

For ppl who do not like PvP fun then GW might not last as it will for others but the rest of us who enjoy the PvP will have no problem finding something to do or some1 to kill in a duel untill the expansions come with new missions but also thats where i beleive is how the Guild Features will come into play as special events and exibition guild battles + the struggle to either keep your guild as the best or try to move up the ladder if not the best already will keep ppl occupied for a long time until expansions come out with new content.

GW Alpha Member

Legion of Exile

• shadojoshadojo Member Posts: 15

Originally posted by ghoul31

THere is no free lunch. Games that charge  a monthly fee will have more content to begin with, and will be able to add more content as the game goes on.

The game does add on more content like a patch would for Ultima Online. thats another reason why this game is so closely considered to be like a MMOrpg

• JabusJabus Member Posts: 30

Dunno about Bob Jones but personally I like the Guild Wars graphics just the way they are!

Not to mention the beautiful gameplay we had during the E3 for everyone test. Awesome balancing I loved being a monk. I cannot wait for this game to come out!

Guild Wars
    Big Dude With Pants

)

This discussion has been closed.