Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Might try UO, looking for opinions

TheoTheo Member Posts: 242

Well, I've played EQ, EQ2, SWG, COH/COV, DDO, and beta'ed LotRO and Vanguard, and I'm just finding all of them to be the same game. Some are better at certain aspects, such as the combat system of CoH, but none of them really take any chances or try anything new. I had high hopes for the next generation of MMOs, but my recent beta experiences revealed them to be more of the same.

I've always been curious about UO, being the game that really defined the genre, but I've always been put off by the less sophisticated graphics. Nonetheless, I'd really like to see what the gameplay is like, but I'd like to experiment during a free trial period. The 14-day trial listed on the UO site appears to have expired though. Does anyone know if there's an active trial out there?

Also, how does the community view the game? How has it changed over the years? For you veterans, are you still playing out of habit or because of friends, or do you truly still enjoy the experience? What are the best and worst aspects of the game? What sets it apart from other MMOs?

Thanks in advance for your input!

Comments

• obiiobii Member UncommonPosts: 804

UO is getting a graphic overhaul with their Kingdom Reborn (KR) client.

It is just pretty buggy and slow right now so maybe wait a few months until they fix most of it.

If you are in Haven do some quests and for further help ask players or ask on stratics forums (once official UO boards)

UO has a good basis, though it is in my opinion terribly broken and way off what it could be.

For you starting new though it should be fun for a few months.

*added to get more into your questions*

Community is mostly fine, though can be hard to get into and the game changed a lot over the years,  only the basics resemble the original game.

Most Veterans play because of the friends and it's unique gameplay, which you cannot really compare with other games as you have customized housing, can put things on the ground and such things.

The best thing is, it is a very good sandbox game where you make the game - the worst is the developers believe in automated content and treat the game 'loveless'.

In the end you might try player run shards who often put more personal style into the game than EA ever did or might do.

• TheoTheo Member Posts: 242

I appreciate your response Obii. I think a sandbox game is really more of what I'm looking for in an MMO. What's this about player-run shards? How does that work? What sort of influence or control do players have over the shards they run?

• uoplayer123uoplayer123 Member Posts: 225

To be honest with you , you are better off going and finding a copy of 9th anniversary , that 14 day trial only allows you limited features of UO and unless you plan on playing ALOT of hours in that 14 days you will not enjoy it , I personally found it hard to get used to UO , but after the 2-3 week it was fun , theres alot of information to learn , but it's worth it .

Heres a link for a new player guide:

http://www.uo.com/newplayer/newplayer01.html 

And to Stratics which has alot of info on how to play :

http://uo.stratics.com/

• uoplayer123uoplayer123 Member Posts: 225

"What's this about player-run shards? How does that work? What sort of influence or control do players have over the shards they run?"

Those are run completely by players and have no relation to EA/ UO , and are considered illegal by game standards....

• ladyattisladyattis Member Posts: 1,273

to uoplayer, according to US copyright law, they're not illegal since the source code for server emulators are "clean room" reverse engineered (compare that with a couple L2 emulators that have actual ncSoft code to handle DB calls). So, playing one is not a crime. It may get your account locked at the EA servers (as it states in their policies), but that's it.

-- Brede

• EaradiEaradi Member Posts: 42

Im not going to lie to you.  UO is a game that was once good and now has gone to hell.  Starting a new account right now, and never playing the game is not a good idea.  The economy in UO is terrible, and you have to be totally decked out with arti's to stand a chance at any sorta of pvp. 

If you are not into PvP then the gear truly doesnt matter.  My main problem with UO is that you have to have millions of gold to do anything.  You honestly can not do much if you dont have a ton of cash.  So, if I were you I would try to stay away from the EA version if you can.  Take the advice from earlier, go to a player made server.  Also with the Kingdom Reborn Client, I wouldnt even bother with it.  I was looking so forward to using it and downloaded the client and it was jusr horrible. 

• DelluciusDellucius Member Posts: 59

If you want to try UO then there's only one thing that is fun (in my opinion!) and that is RP. I don't see much reason to try to game if you don't try RP. And as it stands, UO is the best game and has the best community for it.

• MMOChickyMMOChicky Member Posts: 7
    Originally posted by Earadi

Im not going to lie to you.  UO is a game that was once good and now has gone to hell.  Starting a new account right now, and never playing the game is not a good idea.  The economy in UO is terrible, and you have to be totally decked out with arti's to stand a chance at any sorta of pvp. 
        If you are not into PvP then the gear truly doesnt matter.  My main problem with UO is that you have to have millions of gold to do anything.  You honestly can not do much if you dont have a ton of cash.  So, if I were you I would try to stay away from the EA version if you can.  Take the advice from earlier, go to a player made server.  Also with the Kingdom Reborn Client, I wouldnt even bother with it.  I was looking so forward to using it and downloaded the client and it was jusr horrible. 

Well, I disagree with everything you say here, it is easy to make money on the right shard, and KR is pretty awesome.

• StellosStellos Member UncommonPosts: 1,491

My personal opinion is no.  UO was the best game and amazing in all content.   However, time has not been kind to UO.  I think it is a frusterating game at this point in time to us veteran players.  To those just starting I recommend the trial just so you can see what I mean, but you'll find that it is somewhat of a cracked out old MMO lol.  Do try the trial though.  Still UO is better than most MMOs available. 

• greenfiregreenfire Member Posts: 42

Play It... Play It... Are Ya Playing It yet?!?!

"theres a message in my alphabets it saids ooooooooo"
    "PETER THOSE ARE CHEERIOS"