Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Needs a LOT of work 5/10

Songbird21Songbird21 Member Posts: 1

I tried this game last night and let me tell you, they have a loooong way to go before this game will shape up to be something really good.

Character design 8/10: Not bad. I would like more eye color choices though.

Classes: A lot, but only 4 available right now. What really stinks is that what class you can choose is limited by the sex of the character you play. It's extremely irritating to have a female player and not have the option to become a sword user if I so choose.

Storage: Yes, but you have to pay game money to open an account (Wth?) and you can't use the storage to transfer items between your characters. This feature is a staple in most MMORPGs and it is a MASSIVE mistake not to include it. The inventory is ridiculously small and NOT divided by equips/items/consumable like most MMORPGS. I got very sick of constantly running back into town to drop stuff off.

Community 3/10: The community on this game is TERRIBLE! 90% of the players ignore questions and won't even engage in casual conversation. I've played maple Story and Ruff Rose Online. In both of those games people were friendly and willing to help out the newbies.

Navigation 5/10: This would be much lower if not for the nifty radar feature which lets you enter coordinates and follow a small arrow to your destination. The screen is hideously small. You literally can't see more about ten (virtual) feet  around you. You can use the scroller on your mouse to zoom in and out, but the aerial view is just as bad because then, not only are you small, but you also can't see what's ahead of you. In Ruff Rose Online (RRO) you can see to the skyline. Movement is okay, but you can't run in town and since the town is quite large doing NPC to NPC quests can take longer than they should.

Beginner help: Not much at all. First off, you are dumped right in the middle of a busy town. No newbie island/town--oh no, you are thrown right into the main game with no clue as to what you are doing with instructions to see the newbie NPC helper. This newbie helper really doesn't help much.

HP Potions: These don't seem to exist. I asked people what to use to regain HP. The one person who was nice enough to answer me said that bread and other such food items restore HP. That's fine, except you can't buy them in the town I started in O_o. Supposedly sitting/kneeling to regain health is enough until lvl 20, but doing that will only get you killed if you're in the middle of a fight with a critter that's knocking down your HP quickly. That is really horrible.

Emoticons/expressions 10/10: One of the few redeeming features of this game is the extensive list of fun/wacky emoticons, mood indicators, and character actions. You can even play dead. Lol. Unfortunately this is not enough to outweigh the immense problems of this game. I recommend anyone who wants to play a really good free RPG to go to Ruff Rose Online.

Comments

• TsollessTsolless Member Posts: 448
    Originally posted by Songbird21

I tried this game last night and let me tell you, they have a loooong way to go before this game will shape up to be something really good.
    Classes: A lot, but only 4 available right now. What really stinks is that what class you can choose is limited by the sex of the character you play. It's extremely irritating to have a female player and not have the option to become a sword user if I so choose.
    Meh. Should allow some more character differences.

Storage: Yes, but you have to pay game money to open an account (Wth?) and you can't use the storage to transfer items between your characters. This feature is a staple in most MMORPGs and it is a MASSIVE mistake not to include it. The inventory is ridiculously small and NOT divided by equips/items/consumable like most MMORPGS. I got very sick of constantly running back into town to drop stuff off.
    Omgs no! Not a storage that you only have to pay a minimal amount to open it with! Whatever shall we do?!? Plus the economy is better stabilized in games where you can't transfer items easily.

Community 3/10: The community on this game is TERRIBLE! 90% of the players ignore questions and won't even engage in casual conversation. I've played maple Story and Ruff Rose Online. In both of those games people were friendly and willing to help out the newbies.
    Navigation 5/10: This would be much lower if not for the nifty radar feature which lets you enter coordinates and follow a small arrow to your destination. The screen is hideously small. You literally can't see more about ten (virtual) feet  around you. You can use the scroller on your mouse to zoom in and out, but the aerial view is just as bad because then, not only are you small, but you also can't see what's ahead of you. In Ruff Rose Online (RRO) you can see to the skyline. Movement is okay, but you can't run in town and since the town is quite large doing NPC to NPC quests can take longer than they should.

Yeah... You zoom out to see more... Serves to stand that you will get smaller... What you want it so that the world in the game is smaller? Killing any good scale??
    Beginner help: Not much at all. First off, you are dumped right in the middle of a busy town. No newbie island/town--oh no, you are thrown right into the main game with no clue as to what you are doing with instructions to see the newbie NPC helper. This newbie helper really doesn't help much.
    HP Potions: These don't seem to exist. I asked people what to use to regain HP. The one person who was nice enough to answer me said that bread and other such food items restore HP. That's fine, except you can't buy them in the town I started in O_o. Supposedly sitting/kneeling to regain health is enough until lvl 20, but doing that will only get you killed if you're in the middle of a fight with a critter that's knocking down your HP quickly. That is really horrible.

DEATH TO FANTASY CRUTCHES! THROW OFF THE SHACKLES OF THE HEALING POT! DAMN STRAIGHT!
    Emoticons/expressions 10/10: One of the few redeeming features of this game is the extensive list of fun/wacky emoticons, mood indicators, and character actions. You can even play dead. Lol. Unfortunately this is not enough to outweigh the immense problems of this game. I recommend anyone who wants to play a really good free RPG to go to Ruff Rose Online.
  • cdeepalcdeepal Member UncommonPosts: 148

Let me answer to your comments because you seem to believe that every MMORPG has to have some kind of a stereotype to be an MMORPG. Let me break the news to you: You have only been playing just one kind of an MMORPG. There are different games. See my answers below for detailed explanations.

Originally posted by Songbird21

This games gives you "In-game" choices of colouring your hair, changing hair style, adding wings and chosing costumes, dying your armor, etc. That is how this games provide another dimension of character customization. Isn't that better than customizing at the start and having to stick to what you chose at the beginning? With this, you can change your appearance for a price later in the game and several times.
    I agree with you on this. It is a limitation and I also don't like this limitation.
    Think of it is being different. Why shouldn't you pay a nominal fee to access your storage? Why does it have to follow every other MMORPG? People ask for differences, yet they complain if it is a tiny bit different than the MMORPG you last played. I don't get it. Right there 'staple' <- this is what I hate. Nowadays companies trying to come up with staple MMORPGs. We really don't have a much of a choice with game now. The game A plays the same as B, C, D and whatever. So, it doesn't matter if I play A, B, C or whatever, I play the same thing same way, just the names of the classes and the map, monsters are different. I am tired of this. We need non-staple and different games.
    I agree
    The game is a 3D-perspective. Did you really expect to see more than 10 feet? I guess you have never played 2D or 3D-perspective games before. Do you know why they are better than 3D games? Because you can see 360 degrees of your surrounding at any given time. In a 3D game, you can only see things in one direction. Which is more closer to reality? Think again. I prefer 2D or 3D-perspective because I think they are more closer to reality than a 3D view.
    Well he does. If you follow the quests that he assigns you, you will be able to do every single thing in the game. I think it is a great way to start the game. By the way, a newbie island is another 'staple' and I don't think it 'has to be' in every game.
    Lol. Again, why does HP potions have to exit? You are again trying to 'staple' all the MMORPG games. Anyway, they do exist, but they work slightly different from the 'other game' you have played. You have to eat apples to regain HP. One of the newbie quests explains this to you and also gives you free apples. So, I guess you haven't even done the few newbie quests yet. And again, you can buy food from any town from the doctor. Again, LOL why would you want to sit and regain HP in the middle of a battle? please!
    No thanks. I don't want to play Ruff. I guess that is the only game you have ever played before. Let me correct you with what you were trying to say: "Need a LOT of work to make this game exactly equal to Ruff"
  • pirateerpirateer Member UncommonPosts: 219
    True, true, the character design is pretty good, but I would also like a little bit more customization.

Remind of a different game? *cough* Last Chaos *cough* As other people have addressed in that game, the sexism goes back a long way, and people were not always sexist toward just woman. Men were not know to be nurses until recently, men were also always know to be the burly people, but what about all the skaters and umm "strange" men out there (didn't want to put... you know what)

Agreed, the storage system rather sucks. I have yet to get a storage system in this game, because it is just a waste of money. The inventory also sucks, but keep in mind that this game is still in beta. Hopefully they will include more inventory space along with the official release. And for the storage thing, at least make a level requirement or something and don't just make us spend are hard earned virtual cash.

Exactly, when I first started the game, it was like being thrown into shark-infested waters. Nobody helped me, I had no idea how to get to the newbie guide, and I still can never sell anything. Again, this game is still in beta and most people are beta testers for the developers and not here for idle chit-chat. Hopefully, along with almost everything, the official release with be as smooth as a shingle rooftop if we're lucky.

Yes, when I first started though, I had no idea how to use the navigation system and they failed to point out the coordinates under the map. I too wish you could run in towns, if only to make travel easier for people and faster too.

Again, when you first start, there is absolutely no help for new people. We are thrown into uncharted, shark-infested waters.

Yep, I agree with that. Glad to get rid of the pots and crap. You have to eat real food in this game. Finally, some realism from a game, and none of that Korean crap they keep sending over here.

Took me a while how to figure out how to do all the emotes, but once I did it was so much fun to do them. When I killed a monster, I would make myself die too

• legend55legend55 Member Posts: 155

you are all wrong TALES OF PIRATES deserve much more then 5/10

mybe 8/10 its a fun MMORPG and its free:):)

• AzureProwerAzurePrower Member UncommonPosts: 1,550

Class is determined by sex? No thanks. That's what I instantly disliked last chaos for.

As for the 'sexism goes back a long way' arguments. Two key words: fantasy game!

• mcheromchero Member Posts: 2

wow u guys are pathetic!

what u expect in free online games?

i give it 8.5/10

pvp system 8/10 character design 7/8

skills 9/10  skill graphic 8/10

stats build 7.5/10

and items 9.5/10

u fckin haters dont deserve free games! ToP forever!

Tales of Pirates Rox! Vote Tales of Pirates for Free Candy!!!

• msldkmsldk Member Posts: 7

I know that theres alot other free MMORPG games out there, with a much better graphic, but for me, those games makes me bored, too advanced for me, I like playing simple games, and Tales of Pirates graphics makes the game playable for many people who doenst have a gamer computer. TOP is for everyone and is very easy to learn