Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Tried the 21 day vet trial thing.....

Yeah, I was in EVE Online talking with a buddy there about the good ol' days in SWG when I decided to check up on the status of the emu... then I heard about another free vet trial.

Since I had a vanilla version of the game for the emu installed anyway, I went ahead and copied it, then updated it to NGE and logged in.

All my houses with their original nov 15 anti-NGE slogans were still up, ironically with only 4 days of maint left on them.. put them up for another 3 yrs worth of maint :)

My former master def/ master lightsaber jedi was now a cl80 jedi wannabe due to my having given my account to a buddy to play with after the NGE (he quit a month later and started EVE with me lol) So I tried to take him out and play.

Basically the NGE gameplay disgusts me.  I tried following Obraik's post on how to adjust the game to be somewhat tolerable, even downloaded some pre-cu UI mods, but the character moves are spastic, and you run like a hopped up junky on PCP with his ass on fire.. I didn't mind pre-nge force run, but all the time? no thanks. 

My jedi had about 4 different moves, all just levelled versions of the same previous move.  Went out and killed banthas.  The auto-target function they've added isn't like pre-cu, and still requires you to click your ass off. 

There were 15 people on Tatooine, Ahazi, so I decided to putt around. Found some more on theed, about 28 ppl, though noone was talking, and the credit spammers were everywhere (where did these guys come from? lol)

JTLS Hasn't changed much since pre-nge, wish they had merged it with the ground game a little better, I might have kept playing just for that.  Seems more ppl are in space than playing the ground game. Understandable.

My city's still there in it's entirety, though only 1 person on my friends list (of 290) was still around.  A crafter, but was afk.

Logged in on a saturday to see if everything still sucked and to try and meet some new ppl....

Went to Mos Eisley, and what do you know? I finally got a trunicated /who list (more than 32 ppl).

Found out that they've put a chat limit on how much you could say openly on vet accounts, like 5 things for 5 minutes lol (had a window pop up and say "trial accounts can only use chat xxx time" and had a timer of 4: 38 appear before I could answer some noobs questions.  Kinda felt sorry for these noobs, since effectively I was one again, and couldn't communicate with them.  Simple gameplay answers I couldn't reply to due to the chat limit.

Seems to be a lot of roleplaying going on, wish I could have helped, but since I was only able to communicate through /tells I gave up. Found some other members from guilds I used to know putting around, talked abit, they were all vets come to try either the beastmaster thing or checkout thier houses...

All in all I might play the game occasionally if it was free for the JTLS part,  but tbh if it weren't for my damn houses I'd have deleted my char long ago.  Figured I'd update all the structures I have admin on for 45 different ppl on our city to suck up another useless lvl 5 city slot, and dumped 50 mil credits in the city hall to make sure it didn't go anywhere. 

Seems pre-nge stuff like sunrider's crystal are going for quite abit... inflation seems to be out of control.  1.4 billion creds for a ns bicep?

People still play this game, though certainly not at the pre-NGE level.  I've finally come to terms with what SOE did to the game, and the large split in the community that came of it.  The official forums are just as full of Pre-cu wishers and fanboi haters and SOE haters as MMORPG.com is... except here stuff doesn't get locked/deleted as often. 

So NGE lovers... keep your game.  I wish you luck with it if you enjoy it.   I won't play it not because of my SOE boycott, but because, for me anyways, this game sucks.   I wish they'd just come out with a damn classic server so everyone gets their wish and we could all happily bitch about bugs/imbalance in unison again.

As for me? I'm not holding my breath for that.  Bring on the EMU!

Comments

• SioBabbleSioBabble Member Posts: 2,803

Well, I started my latest 21 day trial on Friday, also on Ahazi, and it's a bit better population wise than it was back in April.  There are now some entertainers in the Theed cantina, which was deserted last spring.

The chat restriction on trial accounts is ridiculous...it's not stopping the gold sellers, they're just using other emotes to spam.  The devs are such idiots...they'd know this if they ever played the damn game seriously....

The buidling destruction event cleared a lot of buildings out, but I ran into a PA hall that was once the headquarters of one of  Ahazi's more renowed early armorsmiths, and could not enter it due to it being condemned by the Empire (maint ran out) but it wasn't abandoned.  Perhaps the owner is on station pass, so while they no longer play the game, the account was active enough that the structure was not declared "abandoned" and thus eligible for destruction.

Still, lots of slurbs near the major cities, and still a pointed lack of wild spawns in many places.  I imagine by now that the devs ignore the spawn issues except around their directed quest POIs.  The old freeform sandbox game is gone forever, we take everyone around by the hand for everything, WoW style.

CH, Jedi, Commando, Smuggler, BH, Scout, Doctor, Chef, BE...yeah, lots of SWG time invested.

Once a denizen of Ahazi

• lordstarwolflordstarwolf Member Posts: 53

I had no clue that population had dipped lower than it is now.  I don't doubt this game will continue to limp along for sometime.  Station pass can guarantee that, if not new subs to SWG.  Hell, I got bored with eve and played wow for about 3 months (never quit eve, just set a long skill and took a break).  Understandable people would use the station pass to check out everything it offers. 

• admriker4admriker4 Member Posts: 1,070

I  remember when any bad spam (like being critical of the CU) got you disconnected and/or ported out of town by a gm. When I tried the free trial, I saw a ton of gold spammers in front of Mos Eisely SP. In fact, there were more gold spammers than there were live players.

Where are all the gm's to boot these guys ? Or does SOE just not care anymore ?

As shocking is the lack of players, I found the gold spammers equally disturbing

• AveBethosAveBethos Member Posts: 611

Originally posted by admriker4

I  remember when any bad spam (like being critical of the CU) got you disconnected and/or ported out of town by a gm. When I tried the free trial, I saw a ton of gold spammers in front of Mos Eisely SP. In fact, there were more gold spammers than there were live players.
    As shocking is the lack of players, I found the gold spammers equally disturbing

There probably aren't enough of the GM types around to do much good on the servers...  Seriously, if they kick out the spammers then they couldn't even claim 20,000 subs.  They keep them around for a reason.

• ObeeObee Member Posts: 1,550

Originally posted by AveBethos

Originally posted by admriker4

There probably aren't enough of the GM types around to do much good on the servers...  Seriously, if they kick out the spammers then they couldn't even claim 20,000 subs.  They keep them around for a reason.

More likely there isn't enough subscribers to risk losing the gold spammer accounts, which is kinda what you said.  They probably make up around 25% of all SWG subscriptions.

• HandsomeRobHandsomeRob Member Posts: 113

It's really sad they current state of the game.

I too set a long skill in EVE, and did the 21 day thing. What is there to say?

Empty Ciities and houses still dot the landscape, although the demo project has cleared some out. As for my houses well..On Bria only 2 of 6 remained, Corbantis had 1 of 4 decent maintenance i assume.

Mob's still spawn in rocks, hills, and other locations you can't get to, but at least they can fire out, and eventually move so you can fight back... way to go DEV's all this time, glad to see you didn't work on the important fixes....

Pet's are back!!, AS the new Beast mastery thing has pulled a few players into what CH used to be seen as... Funny I remember a post way back when where they were sure only 3% of the population would be affected by the removal of the CH / B-E this new thing they have is an odd hybrid of the 2 classes.

Lag is still very problamatic, land in a station, and you bounce off the walls as you try and run your way out, and miss the path.. hit Travel to move somewhere, and stare at the screen for a bit. Odd as back before NGE there was lag, but it was part of a large playerbase... wonder what it is now?

Gold sellers spamming macros to advertise their sites are so thick, you can't see the few players who are trying to 'Roleplay' have their story. Others run past with the Helper tag up, but don't ask em anything.. all they want is a chance to whip out their BARC, or AT-RT or tell you to join their guild.

21 day vet's have a chat limit... WTF? come see the game, how it's changed. Interact with the community... Oh no you can't talk to them.. just go do a quest......

No economy, the Bazaar is cramed with loot drop, no crafted items. No doubt the few crafters that still play are off in their player cities making items for their guild mates. No need to place any Swoop, Speederbikes, AB-1, or any other vehicle deeds on the public bazaar terminals.... Clothing is empty, few Harvestors, some houses, almost no furniture, or decor for houses like old days... likewise very few droids for sale.

Still the game is not DEAD like some have suggested. Populations are on the servers it's just they are all either AFK spamming how they sell gold, or buy your vet rewards... or they are AFK ent's with a scatering of players running past doing solo this or that... and then there is the standard stand about the Starport and Duel that has about 8-10 people involved.

Restuss is a sad example of how PvP has deteriorated. Gone are the big Empire vs Rebel Bestine to Anchorhead fights of old.. with thousands involved and AT-ST's looming above... I did see a guy run past trailing a NPC 'soldier' so maybe a form of it is returning, or it's just an 'Officer' perk

As for the state of the game, I personally feel the final comment from the old Ranger forum holds true... "Last one out, make sure you turn off the lights"

It's not better, it's not fixed, it's not improving.. yes there are populations increases, but they are gold sellers. maybe the others servers are better.. I'll have to create a new char and see, yet I doubt anything will make me return here screaming OMG come back...

Seriously it's time to pull the plug

Mankind is not limited by imagination, but the courage to reach....

• AveBethosAveBethos Member Posts: 611

Yeah I have had the problem of our favorite rats getting stuck in rocks and I can't kill them.  SAD when you can't actually complete a mission because your targets are spawning inside of rocks and walls.

• MackerniMackerni Member Posts: 230

This is really sad. Whenever is Smedley going to smell the shit he's brewing?

I would like him to make him play his own game for a few hours and tell us it's really better now.

• SioBabbleSioBabble Member Posts: 2,803

Originally posted by Mackerni

This is really sad. Whenever is Smedley going to smell the shit he's brewing?
    I would like him to make him play his own game for a few hours and tell us it's really better now.
    It's still painfully obvious (as the gold sellers get around the chat restrictions) that the developers do not play the game, nor do the executives who tell them what to do.

Smedley is probably way too busy playing his gnome in WoW.

CH, Jedi, Commando, Smuggler, BH, Scout, Doctor, Chef, BE...yeah, lots of SWG time invested.

Once a denizen of Ahazi