Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Free to play game or new social engineering scam

ramothinramothin Member UncommonPosts: 15

Alright, call me a worry wart, but I been seriously wondering about all the NEW beta testing free to play MMORPG's coming out lately are safe.  Wikipedia defines social engineering as:

Social engineering is a collection of techniques used to manipulate people into performing actions or divulging confidential information.[1] While similar to a confidence trick or simple fraud, the term typically applies to trickery for information gathering or computer system access by Pretexting, Phishing, Trojan Horses and other means.

Can I assume the online games listed here were researched and are safe or is it download BEWARE USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!  Let's face it, I been cautious about Active X controls and Trojans, but I just downloaded a 300MB file and given personal information to some company (I hope is legitimate) overseas somewhere.

Ramothin
"None of us are as strong as all of us!
[url=http://www.signaturebar.com/][img]http://www.sign

Comments

• imrodusimrodus Member Posts: 37

your a worry wart..

if any of these companies do that sort of thing, then theyr hurting themselves, they will go down, hard..

some of the players are better at computers than just playing, so if something is fishy, it will be found out

• energydrainenergydrain Member Posts: 52

You're a worry wort...

Though the Legend of Ares DOES have Trojans

• poopypoowupoopypoowu Member Posts: 73

i doubt that companies would do that, but u can see if a game will suck before even looking or downloading at anything else.

• energydrainenergydrain Member Posts: 52

Originally posted by poopypoowu

i doubt that companies would do that, but u can see if a game will suck before even looking or downloading at anything else.

We're not talking about games sucking here, but games that have special '"so and so'"es planted in them

• darkmandarkman Member UncommonPosts: 767

Generally you don't have to worry about that because a publisher has to pay out of their ass to host a MMO, so you can be pretty safe in knowing that they want your money, not your personal information.

• BernoullyBernoully Member Posts: 174

I dunno what kind of social engineering information would be useful, other than the fact that one can keep track of how many MMO addicts there are in the community. Something that tells them that they are in control through games, or whatnot... although that already happened since the labour and office systems began.

Dude, you're a worry wart. :D

• akidianakidian Member UncommonPosts: 14

Yup I think your abit paranoid there mate...I highly doubt that a gaming company would intentionally put harmful code in there software.

Be glad your not playing these korean only games Ive read that you have to give out your social securtiy number to play those. Plus back in the day you couldnt even register for a free trial without giving out a valid credit card number.

• DiabloheadDiablohead Member Posts: 29

before downloading a never heard before or new mmo I always check the users forums or something to see what feedback is there before I touch the download, if it looks normal then no problem.