Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I think of buying Lineage II, but I've some questions.....

ShorunShorun Member UncommonPosts: 247

Hi, I love fast-paced PvP-battles, so I want to try Lineage 2....but I've some questions:

1. Is PvP only suggestive at higher lvl? How many lvls has Lineage 2?

2. How much time do you spend grinding, how much leveling? (in percent ca.)

3. How many lvls are there?

4. Does it make sense to start now? Or are there not so much new players?

5. There are some expansions for the game, right ? Which should I buy at the beginning ?

I hope you can help me......

Comments

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002

Originally posted by Shorun

Hi, I love fast-paced PvP-battles, so I want to try Lineage 2....but I've some questions:
    5. There are some expansions for the game, right ? Which should I buy at the beginning ?

1, I don't know what you mean by "suggestive" at higher lvl. I'll try to give you an answer and see if I get it close. You can pvp at any lvl. There is currently a protective buff (this is new) that will protect players from 1-39 from being attacked (or attacking) a player 10 lvls above you. Other than that buff which is dispensed by an NPC, you can fight at any lvl.

However, whether you win is another thing. The game has been out for over 3 years so there are many high lvl players who could decimate a group of low lvl players at one stroke without being scratched.

2, The whole way you lvl is grinding. There are some quests that give small amounts of xp but the game is about grinding to get lvls so that you can be more competitive in pvp.

3, There are 80 lvls and you will not zip to lvl 80 in a matter of weeks (legit).

4, There are always new players but not a torrent of new players. You could start out and join what is called an "academy". An academy is a sub group of a clan that allows you to join an already established group and benefit from their experience and help. They benefit by you "graduating" from the academy and giving the clan points which they can spend for a variety of clan benefits.

Only you can make the decision as to whether or not it will be worth it. It is a hard game in many ways and requires more than just a "let me buy it and see" attitude (though quite frankly, that "could" work as that was my attittude when I bought it in 2004. However, it takes dedication)

5, There aren't separate expansions. There is only one "current" game which gets free updates every 6 months or so. There are different boxes you can buy because of different marketing schemes but in the end you will update to the current version. This will be a large update so expect many hours with a good connection.

I hope I have helped. 

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • RenithRenith Member Posts: 145

Enough said. I 'd like to add a small thing though. PvPing at higher levels is just more fun than at lower levels. There aren't much so - called "Twinks" in Lineage 2 (Rich people who make an alt char. and drop alot of good stuff on it so that they can own everyone at their level), who are fucking around all the time at lower level grind spots. But I 'd reccomend you not to test everyone to see if they want to pvp you, that doesn't give you a good reputation. Low level pvp 's can be quite fun sometimes, but you don't have many skills so the PvP can take quite long and can also be quite boring cause you simply can't do much more than to hit as a melee. A mage of course has some spells, but those are not very spectacular at lower levels.

Anyway I hope this add helps you a little.

-- Renith

• GabiruGabiru Member UncommonPosts: 63

It will take you about year to get to lvl76, count on another to get from 76 to 80.

about 6 months to get to 80 if you bot your way up and spend a LOT of money on ebay buying good gear and a extra account for buffs/healing, like 90% of this game shitty community..

This game is dead, 50% or more are bots, not worth wasting your money on it.

• TorakTorak Member Posts: 4,905

You could just play DAoC. Its a much better game all around. Play on the classic servers. You won't have to grind for a year plus just to PvP and you can siege castles there as well. Lots of castles, whenever you want.

Here is a trial

http://www.darkageofcamelot.com/download/ 

• leftguardleftguard Member Posts: 70

I just began playing Linage II a couple of weeks ago and I have to say I was pleasantly surprised all round

I think one of my concerns was the quality of the graphics (based on the age of the game and some of the screenshots I had seen around) but I was able to switch on shadow options etc without any problem (on just a Radeon X300 grahics card) and I was all set to go!

Dont expect to see much in the way of chat at the low levels - there are new characters/players about but they tend to be working on getting through the initial quests (not that there's anything wrong with the initial quests lol) - so you'll mostly be grinding on your own for a while if my experience is anything to go by!

Character graphics are nicely detailed and well animated (I prefer the female elves but that's just me lol) and there's lots of outfit customisation to be had through drops and shops right from the beginning.

I'd defintiely recommend this game to anyone

• steve_1988steve_1988 Member Posts: 18

Hey are u Gabiru on erica?

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002

Originally posted by leftguard

I just began playing Linage II a couple of weeks ago and I have to say I was pleasantly surprised all round
    I think one of my concerns was the quality of the graphics (based on the age of the game and some of the screenshots I had seen around) but I was able to switch on shadow options etc without any problem (on just a Radeon X300 grahics card) and I was all set to go!
    Dont expect to see much in the way of chat at the low levels - there are new characters/players about but they tend to be working on getting through the initial quests (not that there's anything wrong with the initial quests lol) - so you'll mostly be grinding on your own for a while if my experience is anything to go by!
    Character graphics are nicely detailed and well animated (I prefer the female elves but that's just me lol) and there's lots of outfit customisation to be had through drops and shops right from the beginning.
    I'd defintiely recommend this game to anyone

Actually, you won't see a lot of chat as this is not the type of game where people "chat away" on some sort of OOC channel.

Sure people will start "shouting" stuff on occasion but most of the chat is in clan/alliance chat. Or party chat.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • leftguardleftguard Member Posts: 70
    Originally posted by steve_1988

No I'm Kiharra, Silverthorn, Ashmarihka, and Rainne on Teon (but not all at the same time lol)

• SanveanSanvean Member Posts: 85

This is the worst grinder in the MMO world by FAR.

Originally posted by Sanvean

I bet you didn't get higher than lvl 20. Instead of just posting this is a grindgame and nothing more, post some useful info. Or nothing at all.

• MythokiaMythokia Member Posts: 30

The outfit customization for armors/weapons gets lesser as the game progresses and eventually everyone looks more or less the same, though you always walk around in your formal wear which you get a series of quests later, or some other accessories like bunny ears or feathered hat. :D

In additional to shouts, which have a certain range, there's also 'hero shout' which is global, but only a select group of people are able to do it each month.

Just out of curiosity, which server are you playing on? And I've also have a certain obsession for female elves :D

• SanveanSanvean Member Posts: 85

Originally posted by Renith

I bet you didn't get higher than lvl 20. Instead of just posting this is a grindgame and nothing more, post some useful info. Or nothing at all.

You bet wrong. Need additional facts? Like the game is filled with botters, people that don't speak english, people that buy Adena (gold) etc? The game has beautiful graphics, that is all it has. No custom UI, no key movements (arrow or mouse only) and a very large player base that makes my skin crawl.

You bet wrong. Need additional facts? Like the game is filled with botters, people that don't speak english, people that buy Adena (gold) etc? The game has beautiful graphics, that is all it has. No custom UI, no key movements (arrow or mouse only) and a very large player base that makes my skin crawl.

Lol it 's better than ur first post but still. What game with a "bigger" community doesn't have bots these days? And name a game where you don 't see people who can't speak english? And duh.. e-bayers are part of the game as well, some people just don 't like to work for their items, and got some RL money to spend. Those people don't earn much respect from me, but if they want to do it that way.. You are absolutly right about the lack of key movement though.

• EvgireonEvgireon Member Posts: 71

To the OP:

2. You can level to lvl 40 legit in under 24 hours, if you're not a mage and use polearms, and if you can afford top gear, which is impossible for a first char. 40-52 will take about a week playing 24/7 if you can get buffs all the time.. with top gear. After that the grind is hopeless. All the adena that you will get, will be spent on heal pots and soulshots, and you will be broke all the time.

40% of the population are ebayers, 40% are bots. Get a trial and go to dark elf village and see 30+ bots named 12345, wdsasdad, etc for yourself. Also, the client is downloadable from the official site for free.

PVP and PKing are great, but the grind kills it.

Don't waste your time and money on this.

• TaeraTaera Community ManagerMember CommonPosts: 1,078

Originally posted by Shorun

1. I would not recommend PvPing at a lower level - if you PK, higher levels will hunt you down.  There are 80 levels in L2, but starting at 75 you can subclass multiple other classes from 40 to 75.

2. 99%.  Sorry!

3. See #1

4. I would actually say that yes, now is a good time to start.  Their new player experience has only gotten better and better.  Honestly, if you're insanely hardcore, you can do 40 in a pretty short time nowadays.

5. Expansions are free!

Laura "Taera" Genender
    Community Manager
    MMORPG.com

• GabiruGabiru Member UncommonPosts: 63
    Originally posted by steve_1988

Yeah I'm :) , do I know you? I quit L2 about 2 months ago, sold my account, dont wanna come back. Not giving ncsoft any money until they fight the bot/adena sales problem.

• dalevi1dalevi1 Member Posts: 829

I doubt he would be calling this the worst grind in the world if he only went to 20. As anyone who has played L2 knows, 1-20 is a breeze even for the newest player. That being said, I made it to 45 on a elf spellsinger (it's been awhile, was it spellsinger?) and 35 on a orc shaman. The best times I had in the game were 30-40. I am not a grinder per say, but I met a great bunch of people from all over the US and Europe who invited me to guild and used Vet exclusively to communicate. They were helpful and willing to buff and heal me up when needed.

The graphics were always good, the music well done, the art direction flawless, but in the end the grind is what actually got me (and if you look at past forum posts, you'll find it was better by far when I started than when my guild mates did at launch. Yep, and I only made it to 45. 44 to 45 took me two straight days of grinding the same mob almost non-stop. The catch is a lot of people out there will have two accounts, one which they are trying to level (a pvp class) and another dark elf buffer they raised to 54 which is botted to heal and buff them on a schedule. I didn't have this, and I refused to bot or ebay. I realized how frivolous the process was when I dinged 45 on the elf at 4am, Most of it spent sitting on my duff recharging my energy and health. (Cry more Levi!)

I won't bash this game too much though. I had fun in the time I played. There are safe battle grounds where you can spar at any level without fear of dropping valuable items or losing experience, the are beautiful landscapes to check out, and there is a decent community if you are lucky enough to escape the mountains of afk bots and gold farmers.

Lineage 2 is, and I say this with a smile, a very very unique experience. It really is a survival game if there ever was one (oh yeah the movement controls suck but you get over that). It is as much about economy as playtime, and as much about friends and guild as solo play. Really, I think I still walk a fine line whenever I talk about it.

Played (more than a month): SWG, Second Life, Tabula Rasa, Lineage 2, Everquest 2, EvE, MxO, Ryzom.

Tried: WoW, Shadowbane, Anarchy Online, Everquest, WWII Online, Planetside

Beta: Lotro, Tabula Rasa, WAR.

• Bama1267Bama1267 Member UncommonPosts: 1,822

Lol it 's better than ur first post but still. What game with a "bigger" community doesn't have bots these days? And name a game where you don 't see people who can't speak english? And duh.. e-bayers are part of the game as well, some people just don 't like to work for their items, and got some RL money to spend. Those people don't earn much respect from me, but if they want to do it that way.. You are absolutly right about the lack of key movement though.

Lineage 2 takes all of that to a whole new level. However the game is fairly good and the castle sieges are awesome.