Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New player first impressions (kingdom reborn)

CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

OK so I downloaded KR yesterday and signed up for a new account never played the orig UO so was not sure what i was in for.

One good thing when signing up for a new account I noticed they accepted a lot of different types of payments including some UK only cards like electron and solo.. that suprised me and was a good start.

Character Creation - OK i thought I would jump in at the deep end and have some fun, instead of choosing a template I went and made my own hehe.. I basically made a warrior necro tho i guess this might not be the best of choices hehe.. Character creation looks quite in depth with the amount of skills you could choose from. Character customisation is not the best but I suppose it does not matter too much when in game as the amount of different armor available will cover that up.

In Game(new engine) - Well ok i read up on this a bit they say its a brand new 3D engine, i seen the screenshots and thought hell year looks much better than the old 2d one, this is one of the reason i started to play this. Anyway in game it looks OK but it really is nothing special this gam still looks 10 years old I am not saying its bad but I think they could have done much more. I am not saying they should have turned it into a full 3d enviroment like EQ or somthing but I think they could have done much better. From what i can see they are using sprites for the main characters i suppose it can give the illusion of it being 3d but its not. Also qhile playing I noticed a lot of unfinished things, purple ground, purple buildings where texture had not been applied, Also the animation in game sucks a bit, when attacking some mobs they will flash and turn into other things then quickly turn back. The game is still very playable but i was slightly disappointed.

Tutorial - I started to go through the tutorial.. it was pretty good started at the very basic things then moved up to the more advanced stuff, tho i hit the wrong button and skipped quite a bit of it :( oops but all in all it seemed to be very informative.

Game World - Ok so after i quit the tutorial i was plopped in the middle of some town forget the name now.. loosk around and spoke to some guy who wanted me to go fishing for pearls or somthing, sadly I never had the fishing skill so I right cliekd the guy and clicked train fishing.. al lI got was some txt from the guy saying please pay me in full  sadly i have no idea how to do that LOL. So i moved around and talked to a few of the warrior guys and got a few different quests... get parry upto 50%, get swordman upto 50%, get tactics upto 50?.. So off i went out to kill things. The combat is very basic no special attacks or anything just click attack and thats it your skilsl raise up by them selves whitch is quite a good method jsut shame they dont have special attack skills well unless of course im missing them. Ah yes of course I was also a necro, So i moved my sells from my book to my hot bar. Looks like being a warrior and necro was not a good idea all my spells would fizzle even after I got the skills up qutie a bit, I would manage to cast sometimes but ti was like say 1 in 30 or somthing. Anyway i carried on killing, some real nice guy stopped by and gave me some armor and weapons, Sadly my STR was not high enough at the tiem so I had to kill a few mobs to get it up. With the skills you can lock some so they dont go up this kinda lets you specify whitch skills you want to raise as I left my STR unlocked at that wnt up quite a bit then :). Finally got the armor equipped and my weapons and i looked awesome hehe woot more killing, tho I did notice my spells failed even more now.. maybe the armor affects them whitch is really cool. I also messed around with a few of the shops brought myself a pack mule thing, picked some items up people had dropped in town :) then sold them LOL.

I could go on for some time with all the things i did last night in game but it would take a while. This game does seem pretty fun and I think im going to give it a go migth have to do a bit of research on spell casters and stuff and may need to reroll my character but yeah im gonna stick here for a while :)

Anyone who is thinknig about giving it a go.. do do you will be suprised.

Thanks

Comments

• RamsdenRamsden Member Posts: 5

There are special attacks...  each weapon has two... armour ignore, paralyze, double hit, etc you just need a certain skill to use them... something like 70 and 90 i think. As far as i know armour doesnt affect spell casting. Not sure if it still affects casting, but try eating something.

Best source of info...  http://uo.stratics.com/

enjoy :D

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

cool thanks for the info :)

the community as hole seems pretty good really :)

• WarsongLSWarsongLS Member Posts: 37

your success in necromancy in based on 2 skills - necromancy skill and the spirit speaking skill

the higher in both the easier it is to cast necro spells.

ah cool.. good to know :)

• wrekognizewrekognize Member UncommonPosts: 388

I'm glad you are giving it a chance.  What server are you playing on? if you're on chessy, i'll be glad to help you out in game.  Enjoy it, there's so much to explore.

sadly on the Europa server..

• MMOChickyMMOChicky Member Posts: 7

UO is a great game, I have been playing on and off since '97. There is so much to do, and it is a lot of fun. If you need advice or anything, there are other forums too that can help and the community is pretty good (even the whiney people).  Feel free to ask, of course I know nothing about necromancy, but I have my niches of knowledge :)

BTW: I am on Lake Austin mainly.