Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

If WoW released an expansion that

2»

Comments

• TolwynnTolwynn Member Posts: 240

I dont think they will upgrade the graphics until all the other companies that will pioneer these things....get most of the bugs worked out with older(2001-2005) systems.

once they do...Blizzard will be right there as the proverbial Johnny-on-the-spot....to offer , you, as the consumer...the very best of YesterYear!

Woooot!

:)

------------------------------------------------------------------
    <insert gloat of ubar toon here>
    <insert random game here>
    ---------------------------
    <insert witty anecdote here>
    <political/religious agenda here>

• DevourDevour Member Posts: 902

Originally posted by Tolwynn

I dont think they will upgrade the graphics until all the other companies that will pioneer these things....get most of the bugs worked out with older(2001-2005) systems.

once they do...Blizzard will be right there as the proverbial Johnny-on-the-spot....to offer , you, as the consumer...the very best of YesterYear!
    Woooot!

:)

Why do you even come on these forums?

And why do you put so many spaces between sentences?

• chaosxschaosxs Member Posts: 34

sigh,  i think as all mmos equal nothing is good bout them.  i like certain aspects of all the mmos.  but telling the truth wows graphics is ok, they cant just upgrade the graphics when make a new expansion, EQ never done that nore eq2 or ne other game for matter of fact.  they woulds have to take the whole game offline and pretty much make it all over again.  DOnt argue bout pointless things ne ways. 

• TolwynnTolwynn Member Posts: 240

<space #1>

<space #2>

i dunno..why do you come on these boards?

<space #3>

<space #4>

<space #5>

i'll ALMOST bet...its the same reason... we are both online!

<space #6>

<gasp!>

<space#7>

<space #8 pretending to be a line break>

The spaces/line break spawn all by themselves!

---------------------------
    <insert witty anecdote here>
    <political/religious agenda here>

• Pappy13Pappy13 Member Posts: 2,138
    Originally posted by chaosxs

sigh,  i think as all mmos equal nothing is good bout them.  i like certain aspects of all the mmos.  but telling the truth wows graphics is ok, they cant just upgrade the graphics when make a new expansion, EQ never done that nore eq2 or ne other game for matter of fact.  they woulds have to take the whole game offline and pretty much make it all over again.  DOnt argue bout pointless things ne ways. 

You're probably right, I'm sure that Blizzard is mistaken when they announced that they would be upgrading the graphics with their next expansion.  They should have talked to you prior to making that bold statement.  Blizzard is known for saying things all the time they can't back up.  They should probably be more careful about what they announce like when they say what the exact date of release will be months beforehand.  I don't know why I even mentioned it. :)

• LuxthorLuxthor Member Posts: 171
    Originally posted by Deathstrike2

completely revamped the graphics without changing the core gameplay, would it be a good thing to you?  Let's say that if you installed the expansion, the graphics that you saw were the high end graphics on par with today's cutting edge MMOs.  If you didn't install the package, you'd continue to see WoW as it is today.  Would this breath new life into the game?

WoW graphics, visual impact is unbeatable till today imho. Its pure fantasy game, and styled graphics can do better job in that field . Answer:  no I don't think so, WoW already have high end cutting edge graphics.

---
    "I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that."

• theniffrigtheniffrig Member UncommonPosts: 351

In my opinion, the graphics for WOW are great. People who have a problem with the graphics should ask themselves if its actually the graphics style that they have a problem with or is it the overall graphics quality thats the problem. WOW's graphics style is very 'cartoony' and doesnt aim to be photo realistic like other MMO's do, but this seems to be why alot of people dont like the graphics. For what WOW's graphics are, the quality in my view is on par with other MMO's are today. Most MMO's go for a high-end, 'more real', photo realistic graphics style, and WOW has gone for a more animated, cartoony look. You either like it or you dont.

As far as a graphics overhall for WOW goes, i wouldn't mind either way.

• JasPlunJasPlun Member Posts: 155

completely revamped the graphics without changing the core gameplay, would it be a good thing to you?  Let's say that if you installed the expansion, the graphics that you saw were the high end graphics on par with today's cutting edge MMOs.  If you didn't install the package, you'd continue to see WoW as it is today.  Would this breath new life into the game?

This post is a joke right? 1st do you really think that blizzard gives a hoot about what you think about changes to their game? Why would a company change anything to their game when it is earning them so much money and as it is has set all mmo records period. This kind of a post really makes me want to laugh. If you do not like WOW please go play a game that you do like, that has what your looking for in it,do not expect every game out there to meet your personel standards and wants. Now if this were a game that was struggling to make it like Auto Assault I could see a post like this to help the devs better understand what would make their game do better,but for a game that is rock solid right now and in no danger of going out of buisness this is silly.

Originally posted by JasPlun

This post is a joke right? 1st do you really think that blizzard gives a hoot about what you think about changes to their game? Why would a company change anything to their game when it is earning them so much money and as it is has set all mmo records period. This kind of a post really makes me want to laugh. If you do not like WOW please go play a game that you do like, that has what your looking for in it,do not expect every game out there to meet your personel standards and wants. Now if this were a game that was struggling to make it like Auto Assault I could see a post like this to help the devs better understand what would make their game do better,but for a game that is rock solid right now and in no danger of going out of buisness this is silly.

Well all I can say is that you probably should have attended the recent Blizzcon.  Blizzard very much does give a hoot about what it's players think.  Why do you think WoW is doing as well as it is?  It's certainly not because they don't listen to what it's players have to say. 

They have in fact stated that there will be changes made to the graphics to improve them in the next expansion.  They realize that there are problems with their game and they are working on solutions.  Please review the following videos.

Here's the first in a series about the upcoming expansion http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2hH-S3dPKA&mode=related&search=

and here's the first in a series about upcoming changes to PvP in WoW http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azbolVrSOO0

• JasPlunJasPlun Member Posts: 155
    Originally posted by Pappy13

Well all I can say is that you probably should have attended the recent Blizzcon.  Blizzard very much does give a hoot about what it's players think.  Why do you think WoW is doing as well as it is?  It's certainly not because they don't listen to what it's players have to say. 

They have in fact stated that there will be changes made to the graphics to improve them in the next expansion.  They realize that there are problems with their game and they are working on solutions.  Please review the following videos.

Here's the first in a series about the upcoming expansion http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2hH-S3dPKA&mode=related&search=

and here's the first in a series about upcoming changes to PvP in WoW http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azbolVrSOO0

Pardon me I did not mean they do not give a hoot in the way it came out I was just simply implieing that the game is doing so well why change it too much unless its playerbase really starts complaining which has not happened yet there is a small percentage yes including me that have a few things against it ,but its still small compared to the size of their playerbase. My Apologies for that:P

Originally posted by Pappy13

Pardon me I did not mean they do not give a hoot in the way it came out I was just simply implieing that the game is doing so well why change it too much unless its playerbase really starts complaining which has not happened yet there is a small percentage yes including me that have a few things against it ,but its still small compared to the size of their playerbase. My Apologies for that:P

Apology accepted.  And you ask a good question, why would a company like Blizzard make changes to a game that is doing so well?  One possible answer is that they really DO care about the game.  Yes, the bottom line is still they want to make money, but Blizzard realizes that the best way to do that is to make the best possible game you can and to do that you must continually look at what you have and try to make it better.  Yes, you risk losing some people by changing things, but you hope if the changes are good that you'll gain more.  The instant you sit back and say "Well that's that, it's perfect" is the beginning of the end. 

I believe that one of the reasons that Blizzard is so good at what they do is because most of the people who work there are gamers themselves.  They know what they like and don't like.  They play the game themselves and recognize it's shortcomings and try to fix them.  It doesn't always work and sometimes it's hard to recognize that until you let millions of people get a hold of it and twist it and turn it and poke it and prod it in every way imaginable.  But once they do that and start giving their feedback to Blizzard, Blizzard knows better than to just dismiss it.  That doesn't necessarily mean they are going to take every idea that we have about how to fix it and simply implement it, but it does mean they will consider the possibility of making changes if they agree its for the betterment of the game.

• MackerniMackerni Member Posts: 230
    Originally posted by Evilzim

Unfortunately, no.  Revamping the graphics would not only lose at least a portion of its player base but it would just be a waste of time.  What WoW needs is new gameplay features.  Its a great game, but there are only so many times you can run the same instances over and over and over. Then you move on to the next instance with similar bosses, similar trash, all of course with shinny new skin so it looks new and different.
    There is only so many times you can be excited about a new piece of equipment before you just don't care anymore.  WoW needs some type of alternative advancement or something. Cause as it is, people will eventually get bored of the same old.  I have. Others will.
    Quaana: 70 Priest - Windrunner

QFE

• Cabe2323Cabe2323 Member Posts: 2,939

WoW has a very specific target audience that htey listen to when it comes to issues.   They enjoy and listen to the hardcore Raiders.  In most cases that is who is going to attend Blizzcon.  The "Hardcore" fan who is willing to pay 100 dollars for a ticket to blizzcon.  The vast majority of their players would never of spent that kind of money to go.  There is a reason that WoW doesn't make use of surveys of their subscribers and it is because they want plausible deniablity.  They want the ability to say that they are listening to their fans, but then they turn around and continue to create content that the majority ot their players never access. 

To answer the OP's question.  No I don't think it would help them at all, since they don't need the help.  Most players who are turned off by the graphics of WoW will also be turned off by the simplistic gameplay of WoW. 

To the poster who said that WoW's Graphics are on Par with Today's MMO games, you either can't run other games at high resolution or you are lying.  EQ2, LOTRO, Heck even Lineage 2 all have higher quality Graphics then WoW does.  WoW's engine shows it's age because it does have blurriness.  It looks fuzzy compared to other games.  

Currently playing:
    LOTRO & WoW (not much WoW though because Mines of Moria rocks!!!!)

Looking Foward too:
    Bioware games (Dragon Age & Star Wars The Old Republic)

Originally posted by Cabe2323

To the poster who said that WoW's Graphics are on Par with Today's MMO games, you either can't run other games at high resolution or you are lying.  EQ2, LOTRO, Heck even Lineage 2 all have higher quality Graphics then WoW does.  WoW's engine shows it's age because it does have blurriness.  It looks fuzzy compared to other games.  
    That would be me.  I run WoW and all the other games at 1024x768 resolution which is a very common resolution to play the game.  I've played both LOTRO and WoW and I noticed absolutely no difference as far as clarity is concerned at least from the default viewing distance.  When you zoom in very close there may be a bit of a difference, I don't really remember doing that and making a comparison since I don't tend to play that way.  The only thing I remember being different was that there was some movement to trees and things of that nature in LOTRO that are not in WoW, but for the most part it was very similar to WoW in most respects.  I didn't do a comprehensive comparison where I took screenshots and compared them because I really wasn't interested in doing that at the time.  It's possible if I would do that, that I would see some differences, however in my humble opinion even if that were true it would not alter my opinion that WoW is "on par" with LOTRO because "on par" does not mean exactly equal, it means "pretty close". 

I'll be honest, I have never played EQ2 or Lineage 2 so I can't really compare them to WoW, but as far as WoW's engine showing it's age, isn't EQ2 and Lineage 2's engines approximately the same age?

And finally, I don't consider clarity alone when comparing graphics.  While I liked the look of LOTRO world, I didn't think that it's skills were as "flashy" as WoW's.  Skills in WoW tend to be more "impressive" in my opinion than LOTRO, but to be fair, I only played LOTRO up to about level 15 or so.  It's possible that skills and such look better the higher you go.