Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A study of EQ fanbois vs WoW fanbois

2»

Comments

• metalfoxusmetalfoxus Member Posts: 805

Originally posted by Bootynaka

...get some air in that brain of yours.

mmhmm... you do know that would kill someone right?

• GaurdianKingGaurdianKing Member Posts: 338
    LOL, where are all the girls, tell me answer me, a screw this I will just ask Jen or her. LOLimageimage

J.d.slanger-everything apeares to be a scam in this world when you first see it does'nt it.

J.d.slanger-everything apeares to be a scam in this world when you first see it does'nt it. image

• MistiMisti Member Posts: 724

I guess I fall under Annex1's "obsessed freak" category.  I loved EQ and it is my favorite game ever and I played it for 4 years.

I am not sure why that makes me an obsessed freak though for picking a game as my favorite and enjoying it for a long time.  isn't that what most people do when they find a game they enjoy more then others they have tried?

I think you have a misconception about EQ fans in general if you believe they haven't tried any other mmorpgs.  Most EQ players I know have tried the majority of other major mmorpgs and that includes me.

Much of the fanboy problems and flame wars I see seem to come from ignorance about the "other" game.  It seems there are countless posts about how my friend's brother said that the people who play that game aren't very nice.  There are also often some pretty crazy preconceived notions.  Its very surprising to me what people will sometimes base their opinions on.

Every person will have their own unique experience when trying any game depending on what they are looking for, who they encounter, where they go, and a thousand other variables.  I think the best thing to do is keep an open mind and not bash another game or its fans without first reading up on the "other" game and keeping in mind everyones view will not be the same.

Like Dracius said, I think there is way too much negativity and personal attacks which have no purpose or benefit.  Why hate one another over differing opinions on a game?  Adding in a little more of the positive would benefit everyone in this community imo.

Personally I think both WoW and EQ2 have a lot to offer and am eagerly waiting for them both to be released.

• AdminAdmin Administrator RarePosts: 5,623

Well put Misti...well put image 

I don't see anything wrong with having a favorite game and sticking with it.  Unlike traditional games MMORPGs form tight communities that are like families...leaving those can be tough.

It does seem that people post in here to either praise or flame a game...that makes up about 75% of all the postsimage

- MMORPG.COM Staff -

- MMORPG.COM Staff -

The dead know only one thing: it is better to be alive.

Up Up look at mine look at mine, Well not the one about a friends, but the one above that. HEHEHEH! I guess no one lisens to poor old King any more. Ah well. Just that, femmm femmm.. I was really good at stating that. Fumm.... LOL! A well.

As for you post Misty, I agree with it but you must see the irony in a slight section. If everyone has a seperate experience and base there information from other sources. You are sugesting that only beta testers truely only have the right to comment in this forum as they are the only one to see it with therew own to luck eyes. I beleave that is true in most cases, and I liike stating facts, they make me feel smart as I have informaton I know and want to share.

then again I do feel your message and it is quiet a nice one at that. Like the flowers and fields of peace.

As for me, I come here to get info on games, peoples opinions before I start makeing mine when I pay both of them. So I can play really well so I know the story and know wha to do, instead of wandering around another world comepletly lost and have the players go, fe newbi, I hate newbies because all the questions are stupid attedtude. I really hate that, I can't help it if I did not join the game easrly like you or have exstensive knowlege, so I now take it pon mjy self to get the information and use it to play well and help others, ( well inligten) LOL!.

J.d.slanger-everything apeares to be a scam in this world when you first see it does'nt it.

J.d.slanger-everything apeares to be a scam in this world when you first see it does'nt it. image

• AnnekynnAnnekynn Member Posts: 1,437

"I am not sure why that makes me an obsessed freak though for picking a game as my favorite and enjoying it for a long time.  isn't that what most people do when they find a game they enjoy more then others they have tried?"

The problem with being an obsessed freak is that often you will not see all that is WRONG with the game youre playing. Those who are not obsessed are more likely to spot the problems with a game and demand change. Also, while you may have tried other games and found your favorite, many EQ lovers have NOT tried other games, or one or two when they first launched (and launches are always filled with most bugs and least content) and used that as a comparison. "yeah I tried AO when it first came out, it was a buggy nightmare, EQ still rules!".

• DraciusDracius Member Posts: 379

Originally posted by Annex1

The problem with being an obsessed freak is that often you will not see all that is WRONG with the game youre playing. Those who are not obsessed are more likely to spot the problems with a game and demand change. Also, while you may have tried other games and found your favorite, many EQ lovers have NOT tried other games, or one or two when they first launched (and launches are always filled with most bugs and least content) and used that as a comparison. "yeah I tried AO when it first came out, it was a buggy nightmare, EQ still rules!".

Since the pace of the forum has changed to quoting and supporting someone else.

I'm gonna put my money on this horse.

He speaks the truth, and what a damn fine truth it is.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    With every post I lose just a little bit more of my sanity.

Peace,

Dracius

Dracius-Saberi-Static
    "With every post, I lose just a little bit more of my sanity." -Dracius

(gaurdianking says ina  dr frod vioce)Annex1, this is true whatz you sayz but youz must remeber that one's injoyment in the game is most important, your interference may be true in fact but the fact is they enjoy the game to a point where they don't care. And is'nt that what all of us want, pleasure! As for the enjoyment of the gamer, if she/he plays with utmost happyness, good for them. But that may give them an ignorance to the flaws or the knowlege of games that will bring enjoyment to others. It is you duty there for to simply state the facts and if the blurt out the same thing then what is the point in trying to chjange there mind, what you said would already true but it is rare that your arguing aponent will admit it and may just start playing other games with out telling you. In the end water flows and if I add to it, I am more than happy, If I change the flow I am over bound with emotion.

LOL! and the doctor is out. LOL!

Aw well, I like thos phlosofical banter about how everyone should have there own fredom of what they play. LOL! Americians, you actaully should have this down quiet abit you know, as your contries past time is saying how every Americian should have the freedome to do ******* something or another.

Ow yes, that reminds me, Darcius, what are you pans for the game wow, are you playing because I would love you to join my party of merry travelers. And if your plan is to plau eq2, well I will be happy to meet up with you but I am not going to play that often, just twice a week if I am lucky when I head over to a friends house.

• MistiMisti Member Posts: 724

I guess your missing the point of what I was trying to say Annex, though I do understand better what you were saying now I think.

I personally spend too much time playing mmorpgs.  Because of that I can honestly say I have tried almost every major fantasy and some non fantasy mmorpgs that has been released since the original EQ.  Other then Shadowbane there is not a single one I didn't play at very least a month, some as much as 4 before making a final opinion and leaving. 

I also doubt I hold many blanket views based on my favorite game being EQ.  I do see faults in my favorite game, quite a few in fact.  thats one of the reasons I have tried so many other mmorpgs.  Unfortunately I haven't seen another mmorpg that as a whole was as good as my favorite in my opinion.

What I was trying to indicate is that labeling anyone who has a favorite mmorpg (or specifically EQ in this case) and playing it for years an obsessed freak with no value to their opinions seems pretty negative and not valid or appropriate. 

Part of the problem I see is that your attributing a behavior or attitude to one game that pretty much equally applies to every mmorpgs audience.  There are many UO, DAoC, AO, and just about every other mmorpg players who behave in the exact same manner your attributing to EQ players.

I do agree with you that there are often individuals who latch on to one game and it can do no wrong in their eyes and no other game can do anything correct.  In fact it seems a very common occurrence but it certainly isn't isolated to any one game.

One of the things I said in my earlier post was basically that everyone needs to look at these games with an open mind.  I dont think you have to be a beta tester to have an opinion by any means.  I just think we often need to actually read up a little on another game before we bash elements of it that we really know nothing about because it isnt the one we have been obsessivly following.

I think I have just fallen in love. LOLimageimageimageimageimage

However I must apologize for the mis interpritation, I mean that you statment ment that poeple that play the games can have a acurate view witch is quiet true. And that in this case, people in this forum can't really speak as alot of them ar'nt beta testers for wow which is in it's beta phase. Thats all. I ment to show it as an ironey.

Plus, I have lost the will or effort to try and correct people as alot of people make so many stupid comments. I had to move a montian just to make people understand the difference between internet lag and computer fps (freeze as it is commonly)or slow frame rates for people with no tech terminology.

As for you peacefule message about open mindedness, I have no qaurell with that.

As for now, I am going to dance in the corner as it amuses me at the moment, and wait for both games to come out. HEHEHEHE!imageimageimage

• n2soonersn2sooners Member UncommonPosts: 926

Originally posted by Annex1

"I am not sure why that makes me an obsessed freak though for picking a game as my favorite and enjoying it for a long time.  isn't that what most people do when they find a game they enjoy more then others they have tried?"

If you have ever been to an EQ forum (guild, class, server, doesn't matter), you will see that often those who are most obsessed with the game are also those who are pointing out every single flaw with the game. Even those flaws that outsiders or less fanatic players won't see. Furor was one of the most obsessed and one of the biggest critics of EQ. I believe he is working for WoW now.

image image

everyone has a story. All the above are stated informations of possible circumstances that can and do acure. Ahh is'nt the world diverse, stick to water, it flows dude it flows.

I think a lot of what makes a mmorpg someone's favorite has to do with it being their first or 2nd played.

I played UO as my first, then DAOC when that game out and fell in love with it for 2 years, later I quit because it had changed for the worse and become very redundant. EVERY mmorpg I've played since then hasn't been able to hold my interest for longer than a month, I "liked" daoc better, but I don't like it it at present or I would buy my account back. (Think it's up to $160 now). So I completely understand why so many ppl are so fond of EQ, it was a LOT of people's first. However, I want an honest answer, is there even one eq fanatic who played an mmorpg before it for longer than 6 months?

I'm hoping WoW will be the one that I can stick with for another 2 years or so... Until Mech warrior the mmorpg comes out. image

Peace,

Dracius

Dracius-Saberi-Static

• SystranSystran Member Posts: 105

Don't get me wrong...warcraft's been my favorite strat. game hands down since the first one came out. "Corwin of Amber" image hah...i'm just not sure how this game's gonna go down as an RPG. i dont want it to ruin WC's reputation! image

Have faith my brother, have faith. And I found out that only one of the creators moved to gw so there are about 7 of them left on thw wow project. HEHEHEHE!

• powerskankerpowerskanker Member Posts: 57
    Hmm I believe that a civilized debate between the games is great. I am a fan of both games by the way. It helps poeple learn about the games and maybe changes their minds. But i do agree that ones it comes to pointless flaming, it needs to stop. Personally when I get assaulted I just ignore it being that those who do that are ignorant fools with no mind therefore cannot even make somewhat of an arguement. But by all means, continue the debates and opinions I enjoy reading them.

• DjinDjin Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,263

I agree with you 100%.  I am also a big fan of both Ever Quest II and World of Warcraft.  I like people to go back and forth saying this and that... but sometimes it gets to the point where it gets out of control.

I'm always saying things like this to make matter better...

"Just wait six months after each game has gone gold, then judge them..."

It's the truth. . .  there's no point in saying one is better then the other... they are both in BETA stages.

What will he do next?
    Umm... I want war, war I say. LOL The alliance shall crush the evil horde. However it seeems that people are sideeing with the horde. Never the less the valour of our glorous goal shall be met with true light and wisdom. LOL!

• PLH2034PLH2034 Member Posts: 58

I'm disappointed.

I clicked this looking for a real scientific study of EQ and WoW "Fanbois". You know, with pie charts and graphs.

Anyway, I plan on buying both and sticking with whichever is best. I'm not expecting anything great since SWG let me down so bad I have this huge wall put up in my heart to protect me from expectation.

• MDruidMDruid Member Posts: 82

Yeah lets just end this pointless war now. Come on quit flamming a game when it is not even out yet!

Guns don't kill people, idiots do!
    My Website
    MDruid Comics

I didn't need pie charts and graphs, since the entire point is that there is NO difference, there's nothing that 1 group of fans does worse than the other, which is why I say this arguing needs to stop.

Peace,

Dracius

Dracius-Saberi-Static