Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Bethesda's Parent Company Making Elder Scrolls MMORPG?

AthelaAthela Member Posts: 492

Too much to hope for perhaps, but ever since  Elder Scroll Oblivion's release, people have wished for an online Elder Scrolls game.

Bethesda's parent company, ZeniMax, announced a new online division of the company.

Lets hope Tamriel opens for MMO business someday!

Article at Gamasutra:  http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=14932

Bethesda Blog Interview with Matt Firor, formerly of Dark Age of Camelot:  http://bethblog.com/

Comments

• ZorvanZorvan Member CommonPosts: 8,912

They could also be preparing for Fallout Online, once Interplay defaults on their agreement with Bethesda (and they will), and Bethesda gets the license back.

• wogeswoges Member Posts: 57

Well Bethesda aren't getting the license back because they never had it in the first place  - but yeah I know what you mean and I'm pretty sure you're right.

• AthelaAthela Member Posts: 492

Originally posted by Zorvan

They could also be preparing for Fallout Online, once Interplay defaults on their agreement with Bethesda (and they will), and Bethesda gets the license back.
    I think they should go ahead and develop both franchises.  Fallout for the Science Fiction crowd and Elder Scrolls for the fantasy crowd. 

Maybe it is a small bit easier developing a viable game when the IP source material is a game, rather than a card game or a book or a movie series?  Translating the way the world works to MMO gaming must be a little easier if the frame of reference is already a game world.  What do you think?

Originally posted by woges

Well Bethesda aren't getting the license back because they never had it in the first place  - but yeah I know what you mean and I'm pretty sure you're right.

Yes, they did. They bought the IP from Interplay (which is why Bethesda is making the Fallout 3 game right now). The stipulation of the sale was that Interplay got to keep the mmorpg option, but if they failed to follow the rules of the contract ( raise a certain amount of money within a specified time,  and then so much time after that to get the game developed), Bethesda would pull that from them as well.

So, although technically, Bethesda didn't get the mmorpg rights immediately, they do have the ability to pull those rights for themselves rather easily. Let's face it, Interplay couldn't develop a solitaire game at this point.

Originally posted by Athela

Originally posted by Zorvan

I think they should go ahead and develop both franchises.  Fallout for the Science Fiction crowd and Elder Scrolls for the fantasy crowd. 

Maybe it is a small bit easier developing a viable game when the IP source material is a game, rather than a card game or a book or a movie series?  Translating the way the world works to MMO gaming must be a little easier if the frame of reference is already a game world.  What do you think?

I agree. It is aways going to be easier to make an existing game ( especially one that was already an rpg to begin with) into an mmorpg, than to do so with a movie or book.. With a book, or especially a movie, you have to worry about such things as canon, timelines, specific characters, etc. Not alot of room for being creative or for adding to the story.

• merv808merv808 Member UncommonPosts: 511

I'm excited I've been playing the Elder Scrolls games since the beginning and I've always loved them. But ever since Morrowind, I've been dreaming of an Elder scrolls MMO. Bethesda knows how to put into a game everything an MMO should be. great story, side quests, character classes and serious immersion.

Imagine it. An MMO with meaningful quests, a story that you would actually care about, and built in guilds.