Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WoW tanking..and going back..or not

IronyIrony Member Posts: 31

Hello all.

I've been a tank(Warrior) in WoW for 2 years. I quit 3 months ago and haven't touched it ever since. However, just like most of you, I'm flat out of "real" options. To me, tanking is the addictive part about WoW. Every other class has only a small portion of the skill-requirement that a tank has and I've enjoyed every bit of it.

It was hard to get a guild in the first year of playing. I leveled solely by doing instances ( and full prot from lvl 10), so I didn't breach any records there and it was hell to get accepted in any half decent guild.

Guilds I díd join, didn't fulfill my personal requirements. Such as a friendly athmosphere ( imagine whipeclub) and dedicated people. People that would go through fire for eachother. I've always been in favor of sharing, which probably makes me one of the few persons in the world that got repeatedly kicked for disagreeing with unfair situations regarding other people and not myself. I've always stood up against the infamous fenomenon called "greed". As soon as people saw purple items, they nearly pissed themselves and forgot every bit of friendship they had, especially leaders and officers.

So all in all, it took me about a year before getting a good guild, one I loved ( and sadly ended the same way as described above ) and I became second tank pretty swiftly. ( guildleader was MT ). Since he had everything, I got my full T1 in under 2 months and we basically rushed to Nefarion.

As I said, the guild hardened, epix became priority. Specs became fixed patterns. I personally didn't mind, I love(d) tanking.

Some other issues occured, which I'm not going to point out, it's in the past, but it ended with me leaving the guild and really being completely shattered about it. I wandered around for a week, but in the end I quit playing for like, a month. This was close to tBC, so when tBC launched, I thought about going back and I did.

tBC was great, untill I reached level 70. The people needed tanks, so I always had a job, but the more people need you, the ruder they seem to become.

It's as if nothing existed anymore, but their own personalities. Helpful pointers were concidered as heavy flaming. People would leave the group if I'd even very carefully tried to explain tactics and they would put me on ignore, because they refused to (example) wait 2 seconds with DPS.

I'm one of the best tanks in WoW. I'm not talking raidtanking, because every random idiot with a stick and a shield can raidtank ( he might need some other gear too yeah ), but Im talking about 5 man non-heroic instance tanking. non-heroic, because Heroic severely messes with my hp when I try to tank 3 or more mobs.

In any given instance, Shadowlabs, Shattered halls, you name it, I can tank 5-9 mobs ( shattered halls is typically less dmg, more mobs ) without losing agro too often. One of my golden rules in that, is that losing agro isn't bad , as long as you know exactly when you lose it and how and when you will get it back. I n fact, leaving the skull open after initial agro, is one of my fixed patterns, which only takes 3 seconds to get back ,but I'm drifting off topic.

Now the thing is, people ask me to come back and I really need a MMO. I need to feel like Neo in the Matrix again. I need to be raidleader, maintank, the backbone of the parties. It's my drug and I need it. I live to tank.

So I'm telling them, no guys, I quit, I can't go back. I don't have a guild, I don't even know who else still plays, plus the grinding...

But truth is, I might actually want to go back. It's as if I have no other purpose in life than to pick up my shield and slam it into some mobs again.

And of course, they go on ... "But mate, other tanks suck..etc"

And now they..they have a point you know. I have more than one character, I have 3 level 70's, plus 2 lvl 60+ and every single warrior you get in a party. And I mean every warrior I ever had as a tank myself, sucked big donkey balls. They haven't even heard of tanking before, some have to ask you what defensive stance is.!!!!!

No wonder I get stupid question in Shattered halls, by the Feral Druid that decided to "help"me with tanking, effectively lowering dps by 2250 AP. "but Warriors can't tank more than 2 mobs....... . . . . right ?"

And you know what ? worst part is, the guy's bloody right about it. 95% of the warriors on any given server couldn't tank if they'd have a college degree in it.

And now my ego speaks, and you'll have to excuse me, the fact that so many warriors suck at tanking, makes me want to come back even more. Makes me feel wanted. Makes me enjoy playing something again and perhaps I'll finally pick up my plan to record the way I tank. To leave some material for "future generations"sort to speak.

I never see Tanking video's being posted. All I see is "Paladins and Druids > Warriors", which is pretty damn stupid when you imagine I've never had a single Druid or Paladin outperform me. There's been equals, but never better.

So my question to you is, if I can back my words up with 100% material, would it be a good idea ? or is it a waste of my time, trying to learn people how to tank ? It's gotten me to thinking either way. ..I need a good game..with tanks..and wasd...

Well, my rants off, it is a bit long but..well.. I tried to put some emotion in it.

Comments

• zack702zack702 Member Posts: 56

What other games have you tried.

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• TenebrosoTenebroso Member Posts: 262

Dude, download EQ2, play it for a while on a PVP server till AoC comes out, then say goodbye to WoW forever

• ManestreamManestream Member UncommonPosts: 941

I know that story well.

I had a simular falling out with the guild i was in. Players who signed up for the then raid sign up system, were being removed 30 mins before the raid would start (if not seconds beforehand) and other players brought in, i wouldnt mind, but the same class, lvl and gear i did, i let it slide the 1st 4 times but after that i left, a week later i left the game. Its now 10 mths (near enough) on since then, and i have only just taken another look at the game (with the 10 day free tbc trial).

The other reason i left is a spate of friends during that last week either left the game entirely as well, or jumped servers. Since i have been in this 10 day game trial, i have seen many i knew have left or jumped servers and only a handful remain (about 3 or 4).

I can honestly say all the feedback is completly true that all content pre burning crusade is obsolete. Any players lvling up are power leveling to 58 as fast as posible to then go and get into teh BC area's. I really do think blizard messed up here by making everythign obsolete. Even the items that drop aint worth disenchanting either. everything you apparently need is all in the bc area.

I couldnt believe ironforge or stormwind are like ghost towns now.

AoC doesnt look that great to me, it looks choppy with the character animations at best. have seen a couple of movie files they have released and that has somewhat put me off the game. I will wait till the game is released and has some proper feedback before i decide whether to purchase it or not (same goes for gods and heroes rome rising AND pirates of the burning sea for teh SoE nametag they have both aquired). Warhammer Online (WAR) would more than likely be the next game i purchase at release (unless something happens to change my mind).

• IronyIrony Member Posts: 31
    Originally posted by zack702

What other games have you tried.

See the list on your left :P

• AntipathyAntipathy Member UncommonPosts: 1,362

Please come back!

Looking for decent tanks is a nightmare at the moment. Unless one of my guild tanks is online, I'm reduced to whispering randoms, only to find almost all warriors are Arms specs and obsessed with the arena. It's getting to the point where it's not worth asking warriors to tank nowadays, since so few have the inclination / spec / gear / game knowledge. And those that do are snapped up by end-game guilds and never get to see the light of day.

For five mans I tend to look for druid tanks, not because they are the best at tanking, but they are at least more likely to have the right spec.

• vaizardvaizard Member Posts: 130

Yea, there really is no good games other than WoW right now. I might go back to my hunter, or roll something else. 5 mans are really fun with guildies but the grind in outlands really killed it for me and my server population is low. But really Im so bored, there really is no other game until AoC or WAR comes out.

• VolkmarVolkmar Member UncommonPosts: 2,501

Being a tank myself, and a good one (at least I know what a shield and defensive stance is) I can relate to your story.

I never was so involved though, never raided and so on, but I can tell you this:

I've several friends playing WoW, they have guilds, some of them raided or still raid and are involved in the raid community and... they like tanks. If they have good tanks, they tell me about it how cool the dwarf warrior was keeping aggro like that... tanks are respected because there are awfully little ones of them.

So I'm inclined to tell you, come back! your guild problems with tanking were prolly a case, as I see it, my friends guilds treat their tanks pretty well so to not lose them.

"If you give a man a fish, you feed him for a day, if you teach him how to fish, you feed him for a lifetime"

• RycheanRychean Member Posts: 54

Yes good tanks are hard to find.  But if you have a problem with raid tanking or tanking a heroic just go to another game.   I understand that it's your preference not to do it and according to you "every random idiot with a stick and a shield can raidtank ".   This opinion is way off base.   Anyone who thinks any  idiot with a stick and a shield  can tank in a raid situation is deluded.  It takes skill.  Tanks are the ones out front.  The ones who control the pulls.    The one who controls the pace of the raid.   Seriously, saying anyone with a stick and a shield can raid tank is just ignorant.

That being said.  You probably don't want to come back to WoW because I know a few feral druids that make raid worthy warriors look inferior.   Have a great day.

p.s. I probably would've been more sympathetic to your situation had the following paragraph not been thrown into your post.

"I'm one of the best tanks in WoW. I'm not talking raidtanking, because every random idiot with a stick and a shield can raidtank ( he might need some other gear too yeah ), but Im talking about 5 man non-heroic instance tanking. non-heroic, because Heroic severely messes with my hp when I try to tank 3 or more mobs."

This paragraph makes you seem concieted and not very knowledgable.  Because the best tanks in WoW are the good raid tanks and the tanks that handle the heroic beatings well.  From the rest of your post I can see you aren't dumb.  Just seriously confused.  I can about tank 5 man non heroics on my enh shaman for goodness sakes.  Non heroics aren't the measure of a quality tank.  Especially if you're level 70.   You want to impress anyone you better be in raid form and able to take a whipping from some of the heroic bosses.   Not to mention the raid bosses.   Tanking non heroics is for gearing up for the heroics and rep.  Anything after revered on a non heroic and you're just wasting your time unless you're helping your guildies get rep and get geared up.

• earthhawkearthhawk Member Posts: 247

I understand your plight, but as a player that has a 70 feral druid, and a 70 holy paladin, I can say here that you are wrong. Tanks are not as hard to find as you may think. BC made the feral druid and protection paladin viable tanks. Of course most raiding guilds want protection warriors because for the past few years only protection warriors were tanks. I encourage you to come back to WoW and try tanking any heroic dungeon, it's not as easy as it seems. If you don't have the right gear you are toast, and the only way to get that gear if to test your ability as a tank in said dungeons. I mean, if you thought you were the BEST tank in the game, why would you leave? Why not find a guild that is doing SSC or Black Temple and then claim to be the best? Sorry, but anylevel 70 warrior/ druid/ paladin can tank non-heroic dungeons. To claim your self as the best, and then not test yourself against the toughest dungeons in the game, is beyond my comprehension. Oh, in case your wondering I'm leveling a warrior now (she's level 47). Good luck to you!

EH

Because I'm talking in skill and not in Gear and single target tanking. I've done Heroics, alot in fact. I completed COT Hillsbrad as my first Heroic instance. Was tough, but alot of fun. Compared to that, underbog is easymode and Slavepens is a joke..

And the thing that defines a good tank, is being able to multimob.

And things like tactics, insight, understanding, reflexes, etc ... gear however ..nope. I've seen raidtanks tank that made me wonder, or rather confirm why raidtanking =/ 5man tanking.

Heroics are difficult on a different level. I might be able to tank 3 mobs on heroic ( it's all in there btw, you just read it all wrong ) and I have never had any issues with raidtanking, ever. And I gave my reasons why I'm not in a raidguild. Currently.

Not "the"best btw, one of the few good ones is probably more acurate.

heh..and to the guy above. It's not as if you're telling me things I didn't know :P Only been gone 3 months.

• BardocBardoc Member Posts: 10

Irony,

I can't tell what your point is. It looks like you asking for one of two things:

1. Recognition for your ability to play a character in the game. In that case seak out competitions and become a professional game player.

2. Having your story heard.

In this case I think you've come to the wrong place. We don't know you. If you need to be heard you may be looking for something that cannot be given in a forum.

However, if your goal is the same as mine. A place to pontificate... If your just providing some mental input for or output from masterbation (OMG I"M using that term a lot today in my own mental masterbations) then have at it. That is what forums are best used for. :)

Trying to provoke reactions :D

is that a legit answer ?:P