Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Game on Schedule or expect a delay for another month or two?

The clock is winding down...

Do you think that this game and its developers are ready to meet the need of us mmorpgs fanatics, or do you think they will fall short?

Are we a forgiving few? Once this game is launced and all those lucky bastards get into beta and the fog of new game-itis is whiped from thier eyes will they like what they see, or will they have a few choice words for FUNCOM?

Swords and Goblins...

Do yo think this is game will revitalize the every fading genre that is fantasy? Or will this game "stick the fork" in the genre because its how we say "done"?

I want this game to do well, no I want this game to do great but I always ask myself these questions and other when I see such a large following a'massing.

Comments

• ZakavarZakavar Member Posts: 48

Things seem to be pointing towards release on time.  The reason we havent seen much, I think, is not because it isn't done but they just havent released the info yet. XD

• Ken`ShieroKen`Shiero Member Posts: 289

Agreed, but looks can be decieving...

• BaselineBaseline Member Posts: 503

I'm getting the gist that it might be pushed back if they decide they want to polish it more like Warhammer is doing. Skepticism and wariness is at an all-time high right now after the whole Vanguard debacle, and a lot of people feel they haven't seen enough game footage and info from the AOC guys to indicate that this game is ready to ship.

• atziluthatziluth Member UncommonPosts: 1,190

My guess end of august they will push the game back 3 - 4 months. This would still put them before WAR which is a deadline I am sure they want to meet.

-Atziluth-

- Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.

• sirespersiresper Member Posts: 317

Even with a delay, they have the advantage as long as they release before WAR. If they do that, they even pull most of the people who may have planned on going to WAR, because they are willing to try AoC and don't have anything else to play. If they release after WAR, a lot of them won't try AoC (or won't try it when its released) until they get sick of WAR.

I like the fact that the release was staggered a few months ahead of WAR, because it gives time to try it. If they were released at the same time, I wouldn't, at least not for a while.

• RemaliRemali Member RarePosts: 914

I dont think the game will be pushed back at all even though i wish it would.I fear it will be released on time but in a bad shape.

• HengistHengist Member RarePosts: 1,282

Well....

Taking into account that the Q2 2007 Financial Report said "The external Beta testing for Age of Conan is well underway, and Funcom has not identified issues that might impact the launch date."

I've got to believe that Funcom feels that the internal Q&A process has gone well, and that the October 30th release date is reasonable. That being said, I have no idea what to expect, because I've always been a firm believer that a longer general beta period is a good thing, because the "idiot factor" has more of an opportunity to be tested. However, without having played the game, I've got nothing to base that on, because in reality, AoC has been undergoing Q&A testing since mid-late '06.

I also think doomsaysers say it wont release on time, or will be in bad shape, simply because they dont have the answer to every question that they would like. They also mistakenly feel that the info given by Funcom is somehow less than it should be, and they feel this way, without comparing it to other games on the same release timeframe like Huxley, Tabula Rasa, and Gods and Heroes. Instead they use Pirates of the Buring Sea and Warhammer as their baseline, when in truth, both of those companies have pushed the envelope much further than companies have in the past, in fact, they are cutting edge, which is a great thing.

In any case, right now, my vote would be that they'll make the 10/30 release date, and that the game will be in fairly solid shape. Of course we've got 12-13 more Friday Updates, 2 Clan of Conan Newsletters, and the LGC to get more solid info from, and to form more solid opinions.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

Unless something unforseen happens this game will land on time. They are getting ready for Leipzig and from what I hear they will be showing pvp siege combat. If this works out well more people will be wanting to play this game. Its going to be tons of fun.

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

I am almost 100% sure AOC will be pushed back.

Few reasons for that.

It is just to suspicious to see a game with such radicaly advanced features to show none of them 3 months before release. I think Funcom had the features working fine , but when they started massive closed beta (not so long ago) they figured this features are problematic. And now they are trying to change them in nick of time. This is why nothing is shown.

But Funcom would rather close the project than release it buggy and unfinished - since they did this with AO and it destroyed them.

Even if they delay for 3 more months , they will still release before WAR , and steal some customers from them.

So for me - release being pushed back seems very possible

• ndpunchndpunch Member Posts: 208

Only good reason I can think of for the lack of PvP shown is that it is in pisspoor state lag/bug-wise, if they had it worked out they would push out PvP-vids like no tomorrow.

I REALLY hope they push launch back few months, fix what ever needs fixing and then launch a product that doesn't feel like VG. As long as they launch before wowhammer it should be no prob.

• AmazingAveryAmazingAvery Age of Conan AdvocateMember UncommonPosts: 7,188

Originally posted by Lobotomist

Few reasons for that.
    It is just to suspicious to see a game with such radicaly advanced features to show none of them 3 months before release. I think Funcom had the features working fine , but when they started massive closed beta (not so long ago) they figured this features are problematic. And now they are trying to change them in nick of time. This is why nothing is shown.
    But Funcom would rather close the project than release it buggy and unfinished - since they did this with AO and it destroyed them.
    Even if they delay for 3 more months , they will still release before WAR , and steal some customers from them.

Maybe they want it to be the best it can be before they show it off? Funcom does Beta different, its focused closed beta right now. Ever read this? http://mmorpg.com/showFeature.cfm/loadFeature/1349 beta style is changing.

It has NEVER been about stealing customers from war, AoC has always been scheduled to release before war, how you figure they would steal from something not out yet?

Your skeptical and pessimistic by nature,  not to mention just plain wrong - like your reasoning.

Funcom would RATHER not release the game buggy and unfinished - are you nuts? You think the AO launch all those years ago has any real benefit this day and age?

When the game releases, it will have bugs and the odd issue, but this is completely natural for a new game at launch.

To sum up it is SO let me repeat SO obvious that all your posting here are negative and unwanted - seriously. You have never anything constructive to say no alternative suggestions but most importantly you assume things with which you don't have the credentials to back up.

If you was a game character you would have your own "hate buff aura" around you. Its getting pretty tiresome mate.

Originally posted by AmazingAvery

Few reasons for that.

Maybe they want it to be the best it can be before they show it off? Funcom does Beta different, its focused closed beta right now. Ever read this? http://mmorpg.com/showFeature.cfm/loadFeature/1349 beta style is changing.

It has NEVER been about stealing customers from war, AoC has always been scheduled to release before war, how you figure they would steal from something not out yet?

Your skeptical and pessimistic by nature,  not to mention just plain wrong - like your reasoning.

Funcom would RATHER not release the game buggy and unfinished - are you nuts? You think the AO launch all those years ago has any real benefit this day and age?

When the game releases, it will have bugs and the odd issue, but this is completely natural for a new game at launch.

To sum up it is SO let me repeat SO obvious that all your posting here are negative and unwanted - seriously. You have never anything constructive to say no alternative suggestions but most importantly you assume things with which you don't have the credentials to back up.

If you was a game character you would have your own "hate buff aura" around you. Its getting pretty tiresome mate.

It is funny to hear no1 AOC fanboy ( and maybe even under paycheck poster ) saying - and i quote again "When the game releases, it will have bugs and the odd issue"

Let me remind you - it has been proved by LOTRO a game can be released BUG FREE , and even a mediocre game can benefit from such release. Even win some golden Joystics because of that.

So i really dont understand what is your reasoning when you claim that Funcom does not , and should not care to release AOC in polished state, and that Anarch Online buggy release fiasco was of no consequences for Funcom ???

• sirespersiresper Member Posts: 317

Few reasons for that.

It is funny to hear no1 AOC fanboy ( and maybe even under paycheck poster ) saying - and i quote again "When the game releases, it will have bugs and the odd issue"

Let me remind you - it has been proved by LOTRO a game can be released BUG FREE , and even a mediocre game can benefit from such release. Even win some golden Joystics because of that.

So i really dont understand what is your reasoning when you claim that Funcom does not , and should not care to release AOC in polished state, and that Anarch Online buggy release fiasco was of no consequences for Funcom ???

I certainly don't speak for Avery by any means, but I don't think he was saying that Anarchy Online had no consequences. He pretty much said an Anarchy Online type release would not fly this time around, so funcom wouldn't repeat it. There would be bugs, but not game breaking bugs ala AO. Its a questin of severity.

As for exactly how polished or how minor the bugs, we will see! AA and I sometimes differ in this regard. 

• trajan22trajan22 Member Posts: 91

i think it will release on 30 oct as planned.  but i also think the game could be missing some previously planned features at launch.

we will know pretty shortly...

• DecadentiaDecadentia Member Posts: 464

Ive grown to be somewhat of a skeptic of new games + their promises. Mostly because games ive looked forward to flopped ( Dark and Light, Vanguard ). Both games claimed to have radical new changes,  neither were completed when it meant the most ( not completed today ).

Im really looking forward to the game, but as the release gets closer I find myself getting less excited. I think im expecting the worst now, such a radically different game...yet very little proof of its existence.

Im expecting a huge, huge letdown. But i'll be keeping a very close eye on it, and hoping it pans out to be a great game. Forget the naysayers, forget the hyped fanatics, show me proof in the puddin'.

If this turns out though, i'll be the first to chop off heads with glee and pillage the local villages.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

What is ironic about this whole discussion is that you don't see people having doubts if WAR will have issues or any other MMO's that is coming out. AOC seems to be the target for people just because they haven't been shown something they want to see. I thnk if that is people's basis for thinking this game has issues then I think that is completely obsurd.They are getting ready for Leipzig and they will be showing pvp siege battles and if all goes well my guess is people will still complain that they haven't seen enough which basically would lead me to believe that some just want to see the entire game before release and that is not happening.

It is really simple, either accept what they show or don't but there has been no hard facts stating this game is in trouble by any means. So really, why don't the doubters just give this topic a rest because it is really getting old. Unless you have facts from Funcom or anyone associated with this game release stating they are having issues then it is all just rumors created by people who probably don't like this game to begin with or either is not going to play this game at all.

• bufmufrbufmufr Member Posts: 50

The problem is, Conan is being different from a lot of games lately.

They have a Very Small closed beta 3 months before release.  That is unusual.  And unusual things make most people nervous.

I believe(remember folks, most people have no info other then what has been released from Funcom..so it is just beliefs/guesses/ideas/etc), that they will be opening closed beta to more people by the end of this month and through October..then beginning of October or so..Open Beta.

Why would they do it this way?  100k people(minimal) signing up for beta.  They don't want to irritate Alot of people who want to play this game....BEFORE it is released.  I am positive they are NOT worried about upsetting people because of the product.

If they thought for one second they wouldn't have the game ready by Oct. 30th, they would have changed the date already..Vs confirming that date as another Poster listed.

Relax.  It will come.  It will be fun.  And It Will be on time.

• FE|TachyonFE|Tachyon Member UncommonPosts: 652

Few reasons for that.

True that.   Lobo, seems bent on negativity without reason.   He's not like that on PotBS forums. 

And if you think LOTRO has no bugs, your out of your flipping mind.  Go read their offical forums.  There are bugs.

Sheesh mate.

Yes i am negative. This is my nature , to doubt everything until i am proven wrong.

6 months before LOTRO cam out i was posting very bad things about it - based on bad experiences i had with DDO. The moment

i played in open beta , i changed my mind. Went out to buy the game , and i am playing it still to this day. (and by the way what bugs are you talking about ? LOTRO has bugs , in same extent microsoft word has, or photoshop. In one word there are always some bugs in programs. But i am talking about gamebreaking problems)

Anyways

Nothing better to hush skeptic like me, than showing them hard and solid proof

I wish for AOC to succed just as you , and hope it will. Cause i want to play it.

• JayBirdzJayBirdz Member Posts: 1,017

It wouldn't really matter to me if this was a game I was really into and waiting for.   Time and time again it has shown that its better to push a game back a bit for some more polish than it is to rush it out the door with known issues.  The damage and  unwanted publicity from a bad release hurts a game for along time.    

So if its something you would like to play and enjoy.   A few more months if its needed, will not hurt anyone.

• teqnikteqnik Member Posts: 17

It hurts their publisher i am guessing if they push the date back. The real reason Funcom has not shown much more of AOC is because they are real busy working on LOOT BAGS!

3 months is soo far away...

• UthousUthous Member UncommonPosts: 77

For those thinking it''ll get pushed back think again!  A dev posted on the forums that they already have PvE cities up in running, at the end of this month they will be doing a mass seige pvp event, they also have showed a endgame raid dungeon, and dev's have been saying off and on that they were surprised it was pushed back to oct 30th and they have been in the polishing stage for quite some time.  With that said i could not see any reason to push this game back.

• BaselineBaseline Member Posts: 503

I hope they get in a bunch of people for the general closed beta at least before they start that big siege battle test.

I heard they only have like a hundred people or so right now in F&F beta.