Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nvidia G92 rumors..

so theres rumors about the Nivida G92... i hate this.. because i was soo close to buying my system with my 8800 gtx.. like a day away from buying it.. i was soo excited then i hear that there will be a new card coming out almost 3 times more powerful than the 8800 ultra and consumes less power... and the worst part is its a rumor.. so if i believe it and not buy my system and wait for 5 months then theres a chance it might not even happen and i would have waited for nothing.. but on the other hand.. if it is true and i buy my system now then ill be pissed because i could have gotten such a better card for about the same price...

http://news.softpedia.com/news/NVIDIA-039-s-G92-Joins-the-1-Teraflops-Club-55548.shtml

this is just one article i have found many if you search Nvidia G92 in google..

what do you guys think i should do and about the rumors..

Comments

• AgtSmithAgtSmith Member Posts: 1,498

As we are never more than around 6 months from the next great piece of hardware I don't see such a rumor being anything but the norm.  That being said, more than ever, I would wit for NVIDIA, ATI, AMD, Intel, etc to all DELIVER these technologies rather than talking about delivering them.  the complexity has gotten to the point that there is no more guaranty of big improvements as in the past when it was just about upping the clocks.  Additionally, as the current gen of GPUs is showing hardware horsepower is one thing but without proper driver support it can be all for not. 

So, just wait for the eggs to hatch before you start counting.

--------------------------------
    Achiever 60.00%, Socializer 53.00%, Killer 47.00%, Explorer 40.00%
    Intel Core i7 Quad, Intel X58 SLi, 6G Corsair XMS DDR3, Intel X-25 SSD, 3 WD Velociraptor SATA SuperTrak SAS EX8650 Array, OCZ 1250W PS, GTX 295, xFi, 32" 1080p LCD

• JonnyNoNoJonnyNoNo Member Posts: 55

yea ur right... its my first system ill be buying and puting to gether myself and i spent my whole summer working to get this so im really hesitant

• ZerofunZerofun Member Posts: 25

Just make sure you can upgrade.. im stuck with single core processors =(  $%$^

ha yea im getting the quad core..

and why are you stuck with a single core?

• Ken`ShieroKen`Shiero Member Posts: 289

Dont buy the VC yet, Buy a 8600 instead they are $112 bucks, it isnt a 8800 but its not bad either, not bad at all.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • ZakavarZakavar Member Posts: 48

Originally posted by Ken`Shiero

Dont buy the VC yet, Buy a 8600 instead they are $112 bucks, it isnt a 8800 but its not bad either, not bad at all.
    What's the power difference?  I always have a hard time telling...

(the bonus is, if they're similiar I can get one pretty soon :D )

• Ken`ShieroKen`Shiero Member Posts: 289
    Originally posted by Zakavar

Originally posted by Ken`Shiero

What's the power difference?  I always have a hard time telling...

(the bonus is, if they're similiar I can get one pretty soon :D )

Model

EVGA

256-P2-N751-TR

Interface

PCI Express x16

Chipset

NVIDIA

GeForce 8600GT

540MHz

Memory

1400MHz

256MB

128-bit

GDDR3

3D API

DirectX 10

OpenGL 2.0

Ports

HDTV / S-Video / Composite Out

No

General

None

400 MHz

2560 x 1600

Yes

With Fan

Yes

Model

Brand

EVGA

Model

320-P2-N815-AR

Interface

Interface

PCI Express x16

Chipset

Chipset Manufacturer

NVIDIA

GPU

GeForce 8800GTS

Core clock

576MHz

Stream Processors

Memory

Memory Clock

1700MHz(effective)

Memory Size

320MB

Memory Interface

320-bit

Memory Type

GDDR3

3D API

DirectX

DirectX 10

OpenGL

OpenGL 2.0

Ports

DVI

TV-Out

HDTV / S-Video Out

VIVO

No

General

Tuner

None

RAMDAC

400 MHz

Max Resolution

2560 x 1600

SLI Supported

Yes

Cooler

With Fan

Operating Systems Supported

Windows XP/ MCE

Dual-Link DVI Supported

Yes

Features

HDCP Ready

Yes

Features

NVIDIA unified architecture

GigaThread Technology

NVIDIA Quantum Effects Technology

Microsoft DirectX 10 Shader Model 4.0 Support

High dynamic-range (HDR) Rendering Support

NVIDIA PureVideo technology

NVIDIA nView multi-display technology

Here you are :)

• BaselineBaseline Member Posts: 503

You know for once I'd love to see some DX9 and DX10 comparison screenshots that make me say "wow, maybe it is worth going out and plopping down 600 bucks on one of the new high-end DX10 cards coming out". Oh, and 4+ gigs of ram for that hog known as vista, probably more if I want to run the new games maxed with no problems.

• ImixZinzImixZinz Member CommonPosts: 553

You know what would be a nice a nice gesture around a Christmas time release for the next graphic card.... not marking them up 1000% from the material cost.

If anything, whether its 3x as powerful or not... a new graphic card will mean the one under it is gunna have a drastic price drop, and i'll be there, rubbing my $200 the the face of everyone that already owns an 8800 series now.

Oh I know... I love it when I go on newegg and look at parts for an upcoming system build, and I see people in the reviews on the 8800GTX/Ultra that just forked out $550+ saying "It was worth every penny, WoW plays amazing, I can't wait to play Age of Conan with all the eye candy".

These people are going to be crying when that card is half the price in  3 months or so and the new card is benchmarking double or better FPS is the newer games.

Originally posted by Baseline

You know for once I'd love to see some DX9 and DX10 comparison screenshots that make me say "wow, maybe it is worth going out and plopping down 600 bucks on one of the new high-end DX10 cards coming out". Oh, and 4+ gigs of ram for that hog known as vista, probably more if I want to run the new games maxed with no problems.

DX10 v DX9 comparison/review

It will make you say WOW - but not in a good sense.

Intel Core i7 Quad, Intel X58 SLi, 6G Corsair XMS DDR3, Intel X-25 SSD, 3 WD Velociraptor SATA SuperTrak SAS EX8650 Array, OCZ 1250W PS, GTX 295, xFi, 32" 1080p LCD

• FE|TachyonFE|Tachyon Member UncommonPosts: 652

It's not that simple.  Compairing DX9 vs DX10 is like compairing an Olympic Sprinter to a Ultra Flexable Playmate.   Sure ONES faster then the other, but theres a lot of WONDERFUL things that more beautiful thing can do.    Besides DX10 is in its infancy, and  won't be the norm for another year.  Run it on a Card released a year from now, and lets see how she fairs.

• bezadobezado Member UncommonPosts: 1,127

What most people fail to understand is that a 8800GTX is overkill on all MMORPG's, it will last for a good 5yrs. Every new GPU added is hype and very little extra performance that you will never notice exists, only in dumb benchmarking.

A 7600GT is sufficient enough to play all current MMORPG on high settings, much more you hardly know any difference and anything above this surely you got all features turned on but who cares, you don't notice much difference.

Every new card that comes out is over hyped by it's previous model and so the saga continues with how GPU makers get the attention of those who know very little on the workings of video cards to keep buying the so called next best card. Look kids buy my new card it has all the newest cool crap that your eyes wont even tell the difference between this and a cheaper cards generation.

Originally posted by bezado

What most people fail to understand is that a 8800GTX is overkill on all MMORPG's, it will last for a good 5yrs. Every new GPU added is hype and very little extra performance that you will never notice exists, only in dumb benchmarking.

A 7600GT is sufficient enough to play all current MMORPG on high settings, much more you hardly know any difference and anything above this surely you got all features turned on but who cares, you don't notice much difference.

Every new card that comes out is over hyped by it's previous model and so the saga continues with how GPU makers get the attention of those who know very little on the workings of video cards to keep buying the so called next best card. Look kids buy my new card it has all the newest cool crap that your eyes wont even tell the difference between this and a cheaper cards generation.

Considering the 8800 series is the first run of DX10 cards, DX10 graphically-heavy new games coming out like Age of Conan might need the next generation card if you want to run maxed settings while in a heavy pvp battle or raid situation.

Plus you have to take into account the natural performance decrease from running vista to play in DX10 mode.

On the other hand, if your intent is to just play DX9 based games and stay in XP, then sure, the 8800GTX is overkill. But I wouldn't say that it's going to last 5 years unless you plan on being in XP playing DX9 games that long.

Originally posted by FE|Tachyon

It's not that simple.  Compairing DX9 vs DX10 is like compairing an Olympic Sprinter to a Ultra Flexable Playmate.   Sure ONES faster then the other, but theres a lot of WONDERFUL things that more beautiful thing can do.    Besides DX10 is in its infancy, and  won't be the norm for another year.  Run it on a Card released a year from now, and lets see how she fairs.

Since when has a new generation of card made an old game look better?  Run faster, sure - I will give you that.  But a 'next year card' as you call it will run the DX9 version faster as well.  A next generation card (G82 or R700) isn't going to make any game out now look any differant than it does today without new engine code.  The screens we are seeing of this first DX10 retail game (and of other open BETAs or pre-release previews) are just not showing a visual difference of merit between the DX9 and DX10 versions.

What you fail to account for, here and elsewhere the topic has been discussed, is that for those games to come in 2008/2009 that are truly more advanced and for DX10 to be truly realized people have to adopt Vista/DX10 now.  Developers are not stupid - they will not develop a game that costs $20 or $30 million for a platform few people have adopted (IE, Vista).  So if Vista doesn't show itself superior in some way for gaming THIS YEAR then it is pretty much done because the lifecycle will have expired before the market penetration justified development.  Vista and DX10 have pretty much one chance to not go the way of Millinium, make a big 'have to have it' impression before the end of the year (although I suppose DX10 could just be released by MS for XP and do fine but that seems terribly unlikely).  Such an impression can be made one of two ways - a game out this year that legitimately has superior graphics to the DX9 variant or a game out this year that is mildly better but performs better.  Given the slug that Vista is for gming the later seems unlikely so it pretty much comes down to a game making it out this year (Age of Conan or Crysis) that is just that much better looking/playing in DX10 - otherwise Vista is history as a gaming platform, period.

Originally posted by AgtSmith

DX10 v DX9 comparison/review

It will make you say WOW - but not in a good sense.

That's a good writeup. Shows people it's really not worth it right now to dump a bunch of money on a system that can play games well in vista.

• kishekishe Member UncommonPosts: 2,012

Just buy 8800GTS ...it will run all games smooth for years.

After first cards with G92 is released, G100 will be announced and when first cards with G100 are released, G122 will be announced, etc...

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

"A 7600GT is sufficient enough to play all current MMORPG on high settings"

I dont think it will run conan on high settings.. plsu most people dont jsut play mmorpgs.. that card will struggle to play modern games at medium i would have thought..

Anyway you can pick up 320mb version of the 8800 for less that £200 here in the UK

ah infact http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-054-OK&groupid=701&catid=56&subcat=927

£176 thats $358 and im sure you could get it cheaper in the US as prices here in the UK tend to be quite high.

• TibbzTibbz Member UncommonPosts: 613

IT will forever be an unedning battle, unfortunatly.  If you buy the best, expect to have the best for 6 months lol.  Then expect that setup to be OK in 1 year, sufficient in 2 years and 100% outdated in 2-3years

ahh technology. 

• ZerofunZerofun Member Posts: 25

buy your game first ... if you can run it on low settings .. but you just love it so much .. then upgrade.

why upgrade before you have played, If i upgraded my rig just to play vanguard on max settings i would have spent 2-3k for no reason .. especially if all my games ran great before..

in this case i think its better to be reactive rather than proactive, especially with PC components.

• bezadobezado Member UncommonPosts: 1,127

Originally posted by bezado

Considering the 8800 series is the first run of DX10 cards, DX10 graphically-heavy new games coming out like Age of Conan might need the next generation card if you want to run maxed settings while in a heavy pvp battle or raid situation.

Plus you have to take into account the natural performance decrease from running vista to play in DX10 mode.

On the other hand, if your intent is to just play DX9 based games and stay in XP, then sure, the 8800GTX is overkill. But I wouldn't say that it's going to last 5 years unless you plan on being in XP playing DX9 games that long.

Yes true on the DX10 issue, but thats not going to be popular for another 1yr+, when Vistas bugs are fixed and good games actually make it to the MMORPG scene that offer DX10 without hicups. We are still looking at 1-2yrs before that happens.

And you think Microsoft hasn't touched base with the DEVS for AOC? Why do you think they are so intent on releasing for DX10? Thats a big move that could cost them the game, but with Microsoft backing them slightly I think they could care less. Vista has yet to be a OS that the majority of the MMORPG player base has yet to use. If a servey was done I would bet that only 25% or less of current MMORPG players have Vista, and only 5-10% are looking to upgrade to Vista before any major SP1 release. Think about it for awhile. Call it a conspiracy that Microsoft is pushing one of the top hyped MMORPG games for a DX10 release, what other MMO developer would shoot for DX10 that early based on Vista poor sales and performance? DX9 is still a viable and good option to start making a new MMORPG, sure you won't see some of the new cool things and you won't have an easier time with a game engine like DX10 offers, but you have millions of MMORPG players who are using XP currently and will for a few years.

• toadkillertoadkiller Member Posts: 148

"A 7600GT is sufficient enough to play all current MMORPG on high settings, much more you hardly know any difference and anything above this surely you got all features turned on but who cares, you don't notice much difference"

Completely untrue -

Dell 30" 2560x1600 resolution monitor

The 8800gtx I have is the ONLY single solution card that lets me push every game at that res with most everything turned on - anything less and you have to dial it down severely to run at that res

Hardocp and many other reputable sites let you know that for running at high res the 8800gtx (or ultra) is the only single solution card that can handle all dx9 games reliably

The 7600gt would choke at 2560x1600 with lots of animation going on screen

• FE|TachyonFE|Tachyon Member UncommonPosts: 652

Originally posted by toadkiller

"A 7600GT is sufficient enough to play all current MMORPG on high settings, much more you hardly know any difference and anything above this surely you got all features turned on but who cares, you don't notice much difference"

Completely untrue -

Dell 30" 2560x1600 resolution monitor
    The 8800gtx I have is the ONLY single solution card that lets me push every game at that res with most everything turned on - anything less and you have to dial it down severely to run at that res

Hardocp and many other reputable sites let you know that for running at high res the 8800gtx (or ultra) is the only single solution card that can handle all dx9 games reliably
    The 7600gt would choke at 2560x1600 with lots of animation going on screen

Well since I don't think more then maybe 1/2 of a Percent of the MMO population play at that insane of a resolution I don't see that as a major downfall.  Those who have are hurting themselves.   if your  not 12 feet away from that monitor are putting a lot of strain on their eyes.  I put my 24 inch Samsung and put it downstairs because its too big to comfortably play for many hours at a time.