Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Gratz to WoW

AvathosAvathos Member UncommonPosts: 155

No matter what people say  9 million subscribers is in impressive amount, after 2+ years been on the market. Congratz to Blizzard!

(Man I iwhs I had invested money in blizzard 3 years ago)

Comments

• OGJacksonOGJackson Member UncommonPosts: 23

No doubt it is impressive.

But how many of those 9 million accounts are still playing the game?

• PrebThorPrebThor Member UncommonPosts: 452
    Originally posted by OGJackson

The accounts are - for the 100th time - ACTIVE.

• DecrebaudDecrebaud Member UncommonPosts: 42

i also wish i had invested too :p

• Deadsyzz0mgDeadsyzz0mg Member UncommonPosts: 14

Originally posted by Thorsnes

yea but how many of those are gold farmers / sellers?, also a very small chunk of that 9million will be leaving when WAR, and AoC come out, but wow will still have millions of players....i definetly wish i invested in blizzard 3 years ago lol
  • JTJT Member Posts: 401

I don't think OGJackson meant any illwill by hils question.  While the game is very impressive and is definately much more successful than any other MMOG to date.  I still have a hard time believing that those 9 million are active.  I counted 222 servers on WoW realm status area.. possibly I could have missed a few.  I was blown away that they actually have that many servers.  I haven't play WoW in quite some time myself.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think approximately 4000 players on at one time is pretty much the max, of course I doubt all servers are running the max every night.

Lets just play around with the numbers for shits and grins.  222x4000=888,000.  That i's a very impressive number.. in fact pretty much amazing.  If they have 9 million active accounts.. wouldn't you think it would take many more servers running 24/7 to handle this many people?  I'm not saying it's impossible because there are so many variants ie...it's a world wide game and since it's a very casual game. I believe there are millions of people who do play it casually.

I'm sure someone will flame, but I'm not bashing the game.  In it's own way it's a fantastic game, it just couldn't keep my attention past the 3 months I played after release.

• brostynbrostyn Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,092

Like I said before, OMG ITS A CONSPIRACY

• atziluthatziluth Member UncommonPosts: 1,190

Originally posted by JT

I don't think OGJackson meant any illwill by hils question.  While the game is very impressive and is definately much more successful than any other MMOG to date.  I still have a hard time believing that those 9 million are active.  I counted 222 servers on WoW realm status area.. possibly I could have missed a few.  I was blown away that they actually have that many servers.  I haven't play WoW in quite some time myself.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think approximately 4000 players on at one time is pretty much the max, of course I doubt all servers are running the max every night.

Lets just play around with the numbers for shits and grins.  222x4000=888,000.  That i's a very impressive number.. in fact pretty much amazing.  If they have 9 million active accounts.. wouldn't you think it would take many more servers running 24/7 to handle this many people?  I'm not saying it's impossible because there are so many variants ie...it's a world wide game and since it's a very casual game. I believe there are millions of people who do play it casually.
    I'm sure someone will flame, but I'm not bashing the game.  In it's own way it's a fantastic game, it just couldn't keep my attention past the 3 months I played after release.

You ah... do realize that they have different servers for each world region right?

The 220 you counted were north american servers only. Europe and Asia have their own.

-Atziluth-

- Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.

• arctarusarctarus Member UncommonPosts: 2,581

Whether gold sellers/farmers or not they are still paying to buy the game and playing the game( though the rate is not $15/ mth). Imagine thousands of them being ban each time. They have to buy a new box again! Think about the profit :)

RIP Orc Choppa

• area84area84 Member Posts: 335

Some servers have from 15,000 to 30,000 + players in them but of course not all of them are on at the same time. Why does it matter how many of those accounts are gold farmers? Gold farmer accounts get banned every day, when they say over 9 million subscribers they mean people who are subscribed to wow not who USED to be, there is no way for them to tell who is a gold farmer other wise they'd ban them like they have in the past. Finding out whos a gold farmer isnt that easy, not as easy as a botter anyway.

If you buy gold on LotR you get banned no questions asked but there is still gold farmers selling gold, what I want to say is that there is no way of knowing whos a gold farmer until they go popular and it becomes obvious in which case they get banned.

A man dies daily, only to be reborn in the morning, bigger, better and wiser.

-Playing AoC
    -Playing WoW
    -Retired- SWG
    -Retired- EVE
    -Retired- LotR

Computer (- Phenom 9600 Black Edition @ 2.81 Ghz (Quad Core CPU)- Gigabyte MA790FX-DS5 - 4 Gigs of PC 8500 ram (1066)- EVGA GeForce 8800 GTS PCI Express 2.0 - WD 500GB 7500RPM - Zalman CPU cooler (air cooled)
    - 24" Widescreen 1080P HD display).

• davidw123davidw123 Member Posts: 70

Originally posted by Deadsyzz0mg

yea but how many of those are gold farmers / sellers?

A few thousand at best. Out of 9 million, that's hardly a lot. I've seen gold sellers only a couple of times over the last month on the 4 different servers I play on.

• VolkmarVolkmar Member UncommonPosts: 2,501

Originally posted by JT

First of all, as somebody pointed out, those are NA server. EU area has even more, around 250 and God only knows how many there are in the Asia region

Second, 4k consecutive players sounds about right, but keep in mind that is NOT how many players are on that server as people have different playing hours.

Generally, it is about 1/3 of the total. so multiply that 4k by 3 and you get around 12k per server. 2664000. Now not all the american nor EU servers will be full to the brim and this justify the last known number of NA subscribers, roughly 2 millions that could have rised a little with the last 9 millions reached.

"If you give a man a fish, you feed him for a day, if you teach him how to fish, you feed him for a lifetime"

• gadunkgadunk Member UncommonPosts: 164

how many gold farming bot accts are there?

• atziluthatziluth Member UncommonPosts: 1,190
    Originally posted by gadunk

how many gold farming bot accts are there?

Does it matter? In the end it is a purchased box and monthly account... $ is $... you can nit pick the details but it is the same in the end.

-Atziluth-

- Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.

• RecantRecant Member UncommonPosts: 1,586

Hmm...

Because only WoW has gold sellers - the populations of other MMOs are legit, no currency sellers or farmers there - oh no!

That's right!  And only WoW has paying customers who haven't played in the last month - but that never happens in other MMOs.  Of course I have no facts to back up anything I am saying and I'm pretty much talking out my arse but I can't stand the fact that a game I don't like is successful.

PS.  Please don't link the Blizzard subscriber definition to me, it means I have to engage my brain and I really don't want to have to do that, I just want to say that WoW sucks.  I'm feeling very lonely in my favourite MMO please come check it out.  IT'S MATURE LIKE ME!

Still waiting for your Holy Grail MMORPG? Interesting...

• cupertinocupertino Member Posts: 1,094

Originally posted by atziluth

Originally posted by JT

You ah... do realize that they have different servers for each world region right?

The 220 you counted were north american servers only. Europe and Asia have their own.

Theres about 220 US servers and 230 EU servers, so thats 450 servers, if we take March press release that said the US and EU subs were 4million thats 4million subs spread across 450 so thats an average server pop of 8888 subs, and as a server can handle (so they say) 3-4k at once (50%) it seems about right.

• JTJT Member Posts: 401
    Originally posted by atziluth

Originally posted by JT

Your exactly right atziluth, I didn't even think about that.  I'm not trying to bash the game, it's just hard to fathom the idea of 9 million active accounts for WoW or any game out there.  Heck, I would have trouble believing there are 9 millions active accounts in all mmog's put together. 

• terrantterrant Member Posts: 1,683

9 million accounts -have been activated-

In all reality there are probably only half that many actually playing on a semi-regular basis.

• zack702zack702 Member Posts: 56

Originally posted by terrant

In all reality there are probably only half that many actually playing on a semi-regular basis.
    And you would be correct according to census data collected by CansusPlus UI mod that uses /who repots to calculate player activity.

Generaly it says there are on average 600-900 active players on each side per server each day totaling up all servers average. Not every server is the same but this is usually the average. And there is usually more alliance than horde. Some servers have more population like Aerie Peak and the graph shows a average of around 900 horde and 1500 alliance on that server within the last 24hrs.

They probably dont catch every single player with this mod so this info is probably give or take a few.

Also these are not subscriber totals these are active players per day totals.

Originally posted by terrant

That might be true, you don't know the numbers for sure though; perhaps its more, perhaps it's less.  You're just guessing.

Whether your guess is accurate or not, the same applies to any MMO that releases subscriber numbers, thus the point about who is actually playing on a somewhat arbitrary "semi-regular basis" is redundant.

(In other words there was no point to what you posted.)

Originally posted by Gameloaded

That shows that the gaming community no longer cares about challenges and game play. Its all about gear and pretending your skilled becuase you have much better gear then the guy you just killed.

Said it before and Ill say it again, WOW is for people who always play there games on easy mode.

Are you going to explain you how think it shows that the gaming community no longer cares about challenges and gameplay?  Because that leap in logic is quite amazing, you must be thinking on a much higher plane of consciousness than me, please explain it so us lowly WoW players can understand.

Oh and btw, In PvP I can beat players of the same class with better gear than me.  It means I am better than them.  That's called skill.

Calling WoW easy mode is taking the "easy mode" argument of criticism.  You're welcome to debate why you think other MMOs require more skill, but I'm afraid there are compelling logical arguments suggesting otherwise.

I'd love to hear how you think your favourite MMO requires more 'skill'.  I'll make myself a cup of tea while you explain it, mmk?

• Focus*BankaiFocus*Bankai Member Posts: 219

well if u look at worldwide subscriptions wow has 9 million all together BUT. lineage 2 worldwide has 15 million (thats what their year end report said if i remember right tho i could be remembering wrong). Granted lineage 2 NA isnt very big its more of a euro/asian game.

• ASmith84ASmith84 Member Posts: 979

useless and pointless this post is. thats basically it.  

• FahrenheitTHFahrenheitTH Member Posts: 130

Originally posted by Focus*Bankai

well if u look at worldwide subscriptions wow has 9 million all together BUT. lineage 2 worldwide has 15 million (thats what their year end report said if i remember right tho i could be remembering wrong). Granted lineage 2 NA isnt very big its more of a euro/asian game.

Even if what you're saying is true(Which isn't by the way) I bet not even 2 million of those are active.

Originally posted by Recant

That shows that the gaming community no longer cares about challenges and game play. Its all about gear and pretending your skilled becuase you have much better gear then the guy you just killed.

Said it before and Ill say it again, WOW is for people who always play there games on easy mode.

Are you going to explain you how think it shows that the gaming community no longer cares about challenges and gameplay?  Because that leap in logic is quite amazing, you must be thinking on a much higher plane of consciousness than me, please explain it so us lowly WoW players can understand.

Oh and btw, In PvP I can beat players of the same class with better gear than me.  It means I am better than them.  That's called skill.

Calling WoW easy mode is taking the "easy mode" argument of criticism.  You're welcome to debate why you think other MMOs require more skill, but I'm afraid there are compelling logical arguments suggesting otherwise.

I'd love to hear how you think your favourite MMO requires more 'skill'.  I'll make myself a cup of tea while you explain it, mmk?

Ive explained it in many a post, check out the Why wow is 30% of EQ2 post in the ep2 forums. While io disagree with that statement I go into further detail

Fanboi dont get mad, im sure your beleive wow is an incredibly indepth game  with TONS of options and challenging gameplay. The truth is its ALL about time spent, thats all. Spend 10 minutes on your new char, Ill have my 7 year old nephew who playes WOW duel you with his char he spent months on yet he stinks at pvp. Who will win? Thank you I rest my case

In an effort to promote diversity of posting, so that those with a short attention span aren't put off by boring things like logic and reason, I shall deliver my response EMOTE STYLE.  (Not to be confused with Emo style which would be like; ohh.. like... WoW has no depth... I like corpse runs and camping one place for weeks on end)

Here we go:

/ignores "fanboi don't get mad" childish taunt

/sarcastically glosses over the sarcastic inferrence that WoW has no depth.  Because as we all know: gate camping and longer levels = depth.

/Turns nose up at the notion that WoW doesn't have "options", with the inferrence that other MMOs have tons more (that aren't just fluff)

/ignores "duel my high level character with your low level character challenge", because it's entirely irrelevant and proves nothing either way, except that the poster doesn't make a very convincing argument.

/casts Silence, Mana Burn, Fear, Mind Blast, Mind Flay and finishes his better equipped opponent off with his staff.

/hug

• HexxeityHexxeity Member Posts: 848

What is the point of this childish argument?  Some people like WoW, and some people don't.

The game is not perfect, and it is not terrible.  It is what it is, and frankly, neither of you argues well enough to change anyone's mind.