Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will you ever pay money for a Brad McQuaid developed game? *POLL*

2»

Comments

• SathirSathir Member Posts: 161

Originally posted by deucallion

You're probably right about that.  I'm quite sure he was under enormous pressure to release the game when he did, but that doesn't change the fact that he hyped his game into the stratosphere, and only when he got the negative backlash from the playerbase, THEN he decided to tell his us yes, his game has problems, but if we'll just 'bear with him', the game will be all he promised it would be 'eventually'.  I never saw any posts from his forums forewarning us of his games issues before or as it was released.  He could have at least had the sack to let us know his game wasn't the holy grail of MMOs he previously wanted us to believe.  Again, no integrity.  Maybe that would have been bad press for his game, but at least it would have been honest.  But it's never about honesty, it's about money.  I know that very well, but it still just doesn't sit right with me

Yeah, he should have had the decency to tell us its got problems, your right. I remember reading the support forum, the busiest forum , and there were hundreds of posts with the same problems (random disconnections, falling through the world, extremely bad lag etc...) yet the support group always said it were our fault, change the settings on this, change that. In the end they finally admitted it was the game.

I remember the funniest time in my vanguard Career was when i contacted a GM about my lag. I asked him, "why am i lagging so bad when my computer should run the game perfectly" he said "look on the forums, there is a post that should help you with lag. you could also try lowering your settings.".. so i said "but ive done all that".. 10 minutes later he messages me.. "Sorry about that, i crashed" ROFL

Says it all.

-----------------------------------------
    WAR is coming, are you prepared?
    -----------------------------------------

• ZorvanZorvan Member CommonPosts: 8,912
    Originally posted by Sathir

Originally posted by Bladin

Originally posted by metalcore

If you punished everyone for failing, all these people at the top of industry or sport would not be there.
    Sure he screwed up, ran out of money and ended up with an unfinished game, a lot of what was talked about didnt end up in VG.
    I bet you he will be reliving every decision and learning from it.

I agree, people make mistakes, its life. Aslong as he learns from this and doesn't do the same mistake twice, hes still the man!.

Sure mistakes are a part of life.  But when it comes to making a mistake wasting $30 million...  That's something else.  You can't make a "mistake" when developing a mmorpg with that high of a budget.  It's not like whoops i locked my keys in the car, live and learn!  It's sheer lack of talent.

Yeah your right, $30 million worth of a mistake is something else, but things like this happen. I believe he was promised $90 million to create the game, but they cut the funds and cut the time he had to finish the game. Maybe that is why the game is how it is now, and maybe, just maybe, its not entirely Brads fault.

He was never promised $90 million. He was given $30 million to make the game. If he had shown legitimate progress, he would more than likely have been able to get another couple million if it was needed to help polish it up. But noone is going to give anyone $90 million to make ANY kind of game. Any competent developer out there could have made a hell of a game for $30 million. Man, I've never developed a game in my life, but give me $30 million, and I guarantee I'd give ya a better game than VG. Finished, too.

• AnofalyeAnofalye Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,433

If the design doc please me,

if I have good faith that the game will be developped...

I would.

But...I am wary of Brad, he is a double talking guy...you have to be carefull to actually listen to what he says and not let's him just hear what you want to hear.  I wish he was more honest...

- "If I understand you well, you are telling me until next time. " - Ren

• FurorFuror Member Posts: 374
    Originally posted by Zorvan

Originally posted by Bladin

Originally posted by metalcore

If you punished everyone for failing, all these people at the top of industry or sport would not be there.
    Sure he screwed up, ran out of money and ended up with an unfinished game, a lot of what was talked about didnt end up in VG.
    I bet you he will be reliving every decision and learning from it.

I agree, people make mistakes, its life. Aslong as he learns from this and doesn't do the same mistake twice, hes still the man!.

Sure mistakes are a part of life.  But when it comes to making a mistake wasting $30 million...  That's something else.  You can't make a "mistake" when developing a mmorpg with that high of a budget.  It's not like whoops i locked my keys in the car, live and learn!  It's sheer lack of talent.

Yeah your right, $30 million worth of a mistake is something else, but things like this happen. I believe he was promised $90 million to create the game, but they cut the funds and cut the time he had to finish the game. Maybe that is why the game is how it is now, and maybe, just maybe, its not entirely Brads fault.

He was never promised $90 million. He was given $30 million to make the game. If he had shown legitimate progress, he would more than likely have been able to get another couple million if it was needed to help polish it up. But noone is going to give anyone $90 million to make ANY kind of game. Any competent developer out there could have made a hell of a game for $30 million. Man, I've never developed a game in my life, but give me $30 million, and I guarantee I'd give ya a better game than VG. Finished, too.

Except World of Warcraft with $80 million budget the largest MMo project spending ever.

• keygankeygan Member Posts: 237

If i see that talentless liars name attached to any game in the future not only will i not play it i will tell everyone i know not to play it.  VSoH was to big of a let down to give him another chance.  If brad mctool goes to work at mcdonalds, where he will probably end up, i will then go double quarter pounder-less for the rest of my life.

If you haven't guessed i think mctool is a major loser.

• healz4uhealz4u Member Posts: 1,065

Great post. 

For health reasons, you should always avoid McDonalds (and all fast food restaurants). 

• BuzWeaverBuzWeaver Member UncommonPosts: 978

If one were to focus on some redeeming value of Bard's it would be that he is a visionary. The only problem is helping him stay focused on those 'visions'. He was in his element when he was with Verant Interactive (pre SOE), I'm guessing because he had the right kind of people around him that could harness his capabilities without him spinning out of control.

With Vanguard he was the top man, thus no fail safe for his momentary lapses of reason. Vanguard had a lot of potential, but Brad was rudderless, he had great ideas but no real way to put those ideas into an actionable plan that would yield substantive results.

The Old Timers Guild
    Laid back, not so serious, no drama.
    All about the fun!

www.oldtimersguild.com
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it. - Jef Mallett

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630

Absolutely not. Brad has lost all connection to gamers and has no sense of fun. He also has no personal accountability. Never, ever again will I even consider a game he touches.

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• random11random11 Member UncommonPosts: 765
    Originally posted by Amathe

Absolutely not. Brad has lost all connection to gamers and has no sense of fun. He also has no personal accountability. Never, ever again will I even consider a game he touches.

Very well put.

Originally posted by Furor

Except World of Warcraft with $80 million budget the largest MMo project spending ever.

True, but Blizzard was self funded for the majority of its funding, if not entirely.  Sigil was not. Blizzard also had multiple successful games under their belts over a period of many years. Brad was partially responsible for one, Sigil was responsible for none.

Originally posted by BuzWeaver

With Vanguard he was the top man, thus no fail safe for his momentary lapses of reason.

He also has no personal accountability.

Both of these statements are full of truth, and describe quite effectively why Brad, Sigil, and ultimately Vanguard, failed.

EDIT: Anyone know Brad's e-mail address? 

• eugameugam Member UncommonPosts: 984
    It doesnt matter if McQuaid or not. I always read feature list and some reviews. After that i usually have a picture. if the picture seems to fit my needs i give the game a try.

Hating McQuaid is a s silly as worshiping him
  • ZAGANZAGAN Member Posts: 236

With Vanguard he was the top man, thus no fail safe for his momentary lapses of reason.

Both of these statements are full of truth, and describe quite effectively why Brad, Sigil, and ultimately Vanguard, failed.

Tell me this sir (i don't know the difference between failed and still alive.) Is SWG dead and the Doors locked so none can get in ... not at all but it's labeled FAILED. is Vanguard DEAD or Failed, hell no it's still here, the only people that are FAILING are the ones running of nothing better to do but ...... wait a sec, do you LOCK up your business doors, nail the shutters closed because you are in the wrong area and have to make changes because of the odds and ends you sell are a bit different than what is needed in the area. Failed means only one thing, IT"S not around any more. I think the Shovel you people are leaning on best be used to dig yourself out of the pile of Cow dung you are standing in instead of digging holes for something else. i swear to god half you people do not know the meaning of Business  except how to stick your nose in where it has no idea at all what is going on. so many just do not have a damn clue at all except to fall out of bed in the morning and the work part is getting dressed to go lean against a wall until Friday. everyone wants but when they dont get what they want the someone failed. you all know everyone cannot be pleased in the MMO,MMORPG world, IT'S a Fing game ........................................ think about how many times you FAILED in your life... I bet i know the answer. "never right"...

• deucalliondeucallion Member Posts: 183

Originally posted by ZAGAN

Tell me this sir (i don't know the difference between failed and still alive.) Is SWG dead and the Doors locked so none can get in ... not at all but it's labeled FAILED. is Vanguard DEAD or Failed, hell no it's still here, the only people that are FAILING are the ones running of nothing better to do but ...... wait a sec, do you LOCK up your business doors, nail the shutters closed because you are in the wrong area and have to make changes because of the odds and ends you sell are a bit different than what is needed in the area. Failed means only one thing, IT"S not around any more. I think the Shovel you people are leaning on best be used to dig yourself out of the pile of Cow dung you are standing in instead of digging holes for something else. i swear to god half you people do not know the meaning of Business  except how to stick your nose in where it has no idea at all what is going on. so many just do not have a damn clue at all except to fall out of bed in the morning and the work part is getting dressed to go lean against a wall until Friday. everyone wants but when they dont get what they want the someone failed. you all know everyone cannot be pleased in the MMO,MMORPG world, IT'S a Fing game ........................................ think about how many times you FAILED in your life... I bet i know the answer. "never right"...

Uh oh, sounds like someone needs a hug . . .

• ZAGANZAGAN Member Posts: 236

No not really,i am just tired of sooo many people trying to wreck other peoples lives with a keyboard, when they dont have a clue of what is going on with there own and dont care.

Originally posted by ZAGAN

Failed - as in it did not deliver what was promised, did not meet it's expected goals.

Failed, as in Sigil's Vanguard. It's SOE's Vanguard, now.

Does it have a future? Probably, but not the future it was intended or expected to have under the "vision" of it's original creator. However, it will be more successful under it's new owner than it ever would have been under Sigil and Brad.

There are degrees of failure (if you worked in a business, you would understand this). So, rant elsewhere please, as trying to indicate I have no understanding of what I write is not going to work for ya.

• safwdsafwd Member Posts: 879

Absolutely i would. But i would not jump on the bandwagon like i did Vanguard. I loved all his ideas  for Vanguard but next time i will hold judgement until the product is out.

One thing Vanguard did for me, i will never jump on a game again at launch, i will give it a couple months and see what the braver types say about it.

So everyone let me know how Conan is around XMas time (if it launches on time)

• alakramalakram Member UncommonPosts: 2,301

I voted NO. I feel scamed by McQuaid when I think about Vanguard. IF i ever buy another game made by McQuaid I'll wait until the game cames out and to see how the game do on the market before I spend my hard earned money. In fact I learned to Not, never ever, buy "hype".

• lancebirdlancebird Member Posts: 166

The real question is would any investor ever be stupid enough to give this guy money to make another game?  We just got a lot of BS and a sh1tty game.. the people he swindled 30 million from have a whole lot more to be pissed about.

Arrgh. Anyone got McQuaid's e-mail address? I can't find the stupid thing.

• ChikacaChikaca Member Posts: 62
    Originally posted by truenorthbg

He did a great miracle on EQ 1.
    Changed gaming forever.

LOL your miracle man doesn't develop the games. he sells them.