Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looks bad for Age of Conan

2»

Comments

• FionFion Member UncommonPosts: 2,348

/palm to face

I am so sick of this topic on these forums. These posts have died near completely on the main forums. So why do the same 1/2 dozen people keep posting them here?

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Originally posted by FE|Tachyon

This WHOLE thread is.... Nevermind, but it's  just uninformed. Perhaps, but we have a right to be uninformed

Everyone assumes NO news = Bad News. Sometimes that's exactly what it means though

There are MANY problems with this thread, Let me share a few.

1. No News Doesn't = Bad News.  Sometimes its stratagy.  And sometimes, its an attempt to hide a problem.  How does someone discern the difference? They can't, hence the discussion on the forums.

2. Thinking too little has been released about this game is just wrong.  Look at UO, AO, the first EQ.  How much footage came out?  ALMOST NONE!!!  These games were almost total mysteries when they released.  Really bad comparisions, those games were released during the infancy of MMORPG's, and its more realistic to compare them to releases of the past 2 or 3 years. I've followed MANY MANY games in my time.  WOW didn't even share this much footage with us. No, they didn't have to, many thousands of people were in beta 6 months or more ahead of launch, and we all knew what was coming.  Half of whats in WOW right now wasn't in when it released.   How much WOW PvP did we see befor it released.  Nearly NONE.   I don't know about you, but during open beta I was over fighting horde in Barrens Most of it came out after open beta.   But you are correct, much of current PVP system was added afterwards. Funcom doesn't do huge Open Beta's.   Maybe they should, players are sort of expecting it these days.  Open Beta will most likely be a 1 week thing, where the first few days will be invites so they can controll the numbers online, and make adjustments, and then another wave of invites and tweaking then the last 2-3 days will be the flood gates opening.  IF history is any indicator on how this game will go, then look for open beta 30 days befor release date. Which would be more than adequate.

3. This game doesn't have the problem that smaller game titles like Vanguard and Guildwars have.  Funcom has much much more coverage, and  a following almost 5x that of both those games combined.  Really? I'll bet if you go out and speak to the average WOW player and ask them if they've ever heard of AOC....you'll get a blank look...but same would be true for WAR to some extent.  They've recieved more awards then any other game in development over the past 3 years.  Competition was sort of light you know.  They've already got people hooked.  They don't need to spend days working on info to release right now.  Why?  They don't need to.  It won't change anything.  They'll continue to provide little tid bits untill we're weeks away from release, and then they'll start flooding their website with new info.  The game will release while everyones STILL excited about the new info they're reading off the site, and the new screenshots, and the new Videos.       NEVER show your hand too early.   They show everyone everything they've got now, then when its time to release, people have already seen everything exciteing.  The buzz has died down. I'm already losing interest actually.

BTW.  PvP/ Siege will be debuted in Germany very soon.  They've announced this a month ago.

I really don't get the logic of these "AoC Will Fail" threads.  Nothing has indicated any problems with production. There's no logic, people just like to debate and argue.... and about the same subjects over and over..... no big deal...keeps them entertained on a rainy day at work.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• LucifrankLucifrank Member Posts: 355
    Originally posted by TheChronic

we had this discusion several tmes before, I know that but:
    so short before launch and so less information about the game, makes it clear that funcom has nothing good to present and make their potential customerrs look forward to, at least nothing thats as good as we have already seen in the E3 videos..
    and what we have seen so far was not very impressive, we seen the same old hack and slash elements like in many other games and their revolutionary new combat system did not look good as well, I really looked forward to this game and was also willing to buy a newe computer to play it, but now more and more I begin to care less for it...

Um, you can't get a sense of game mechanics from looking at screenshots or demo videos anyway. Perhaps the graphic look of the game doesn't appeal to you, but screaming that the sky is falling three months before a game's projected release is a waste of time. I can't imagine that any game company would be so dumb as to release an unfinished product so fresh off the heels of V:SoH, the most over-hyped dog-and-pony show in the short history of MMORPGs.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

The game is looking great. There have been tons of videos and articles scattered all over the place and still more to come at Leipzig !  Sounds to me you don't even like this game but yet more flaming coming from people who are not even interested in playing AOC. My suggestion is unless you or anyone else has solid facts that this game is in trouble then by all means please present them to all of us, if not then there is no need to create worry when there is no need to in the first place.

• FE|TachyonFE|Tachyon Member UncommonPosts: 652
    Originally posted by Kyleran

Originally posted by FE|Tachyon

This WHOLE thread is.... Nevermind, but it's  just uninformed. Perhaps, but we have a right to be uninformed

Everyone assumes NO news = Bad News. Sometimes that's exactly what it means though

There are MANY problems with this thread, Let me share a few.
    1. No News Doesn't = Bad News.  Sometimes its stratagy.  And sometimes, its an attempt to hide a problem.  How does someone discern the difference? They can't, hence the discussion on the forums.

2. Thinking too little has been released about this game is just wrong.  Look at UO, AO, the first EQ.  How much footage came out?  ALMOST NONE!!!  These games were almost total mysteries when they released.  Really bad comparisions, those games were released during the infancy of MMORPG's, and its more realistic to compare them to releases of the past 2 or 3 years. I've followed MANY MANY games in my time.  WOW didn't even share this much footage with us. No, they didn't have to, many thousands of people were in beta 6 months or more ahead of launch, and we all knew what was coming.  Half of whats in WOW right now wasn't in when it released.   How much WOW PvP did we see befor it released.  Nearly NONE.   I don't know about you, but during open beta I was over fighting horde in Barrens Most of it came out after open beta.   But you are correct, much of current PVP system was added afterwards. Funcom doesn't do huge Open Beta's.   Maybe they should, players are sort of expecting it these days.  Open Beta will most likely be a 1 week thing, where the first few days will be invites so they can controll the numbers online, and make adjustments, and then another wave of invites and tweaking then the last 2-3 days will be the flood gates opening.  IF history is any indicator on how this game will go, then look for open beta 30 days befor release date. Which would be more than adequate.

3. This game doesn't have the problem that smaller game titles like Vanguard and Guildwars have.  Funcom has much much more coverage, and  a following almost 5x that of both those games combined.  Really? I'll bet if you go out and speak to the average WOW player and ask them if they've ever heard of AOC....you'll get a blank look...but same would be true for WAR to some extent.  They've recieved more awards then any other game in development over the past 3 years.  Competition was sort of light you know.  They've already got people hooked.  They don't need to spend days working on info to release right now.  Why?  They don't need to.  It won't change anything.  They'll continue to provide little tid bits untill we're weeks away from release, and then they'll start flooding their website with new info.  The game will release while everyones STILL excited about the new info they're reading off the site, and the new screenshots, and the new Videos.       NEVER show your hand too early.   They show everyone everything they've got now, then when its time to release, people have already seen everything exciteing.  The buzz has died down. I'm already losing interest actually.

BTW.  PvP/ Siege will be debuted in Germany very soon.  They've announced this a month ago.
    I really don't get the logic of these "AoC Will Fail" threads.  Nothing has indicated any problems with production. There's no logic, people just like to debate and argue.... and about the same subjects over and over..... no big deal...keeps them entertained on a rainy day at work.

That all amounted to,  Maybe THIS,  Maybe THAT.  The idea of that post was for people to become better informed.  Yeah its peoples right to be uninformed, but don't cry about not being informed.  I like to look at what other people are posting to see if maybe they are bias, and posts often have a meaning behind them.  I suggest that every time somebody see's a post that seems ANTIAOC, check to see what else that person is posting, and if its all "Yeah for WAR,  It'll rock"   "Yeah PoTBS, It'll pwn"  don't bother giving it any merit.

• JonnyNoNoJonnyNoNo Member Posts: 55

I would rather not show anyone anything then show everyone everything so they know what to expect. i would want to surprise them so they are curious and dont know what to expect so they try the game for themselves. instead of watching videos and determining from that if the game is good or not. How can you say a game sucks if you havnt played it. Or... havnt seen much media on it to make a good judgment.. jesus...

• FE|TachyonFE|Tachyon Member UncommonPosts: 652

Originally posted by JonnyNoNo

I would rather not show anyone anything then show everyone everything so they know what to expect. i would want to surprise them so they are curious and dont know what to expect so they try the game for themselves. instead of watching videos and determining from that if the game is good or not. How can you say a game sucks if you havnt played it. Or... havnt seen much media on it to make a good judgment.. jesus...

Same reason's women want the guy who doesn't seem interested in them.    If you play hard to get you peek more interest then if you show them your naked butt on the first date.   Sure ya might get some, but she isn't gonna brag about you; you made it too easy for her.

• atziluthatziluth Member UncommonPosts: 1,190

I would agree with you if you also agree to not declare the game at all and refuse all pre-orders.

If you have the option to pre-order the company has the obligation to inform.

Think of this "IT" commercials for e-bay...

If a company came out and said... you have to buy "IT", this thing is great.

Would you ask them what "IT" is and how "IT" works... course you would.

-Atziluth-

- Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.

• daelnordaelnor Member UncommonPosts: 1,556

Originally posted by TheChronic
    we had this discusion several tmes before, I know that but:
    so short before launch and so less information about the game, makes it clear that funcom has nothing good to present and make their potential customerrs look forward to, at least nothing thats as good as we have already seen in the E3 videos..
    and what we have seen so far was not very impressive, we seen the same old hack and slash elements like in many other games and their revolutionary new combat system did not look good as well, I really looked forward to this game and was also willing to buy a newe computer to play it, but now more and more I begin to care less for it...

Nah. There usually is a drop in public relations before a big game pushes. Devs are too busy trying to finish the game on time, so they don't have time to sit around making videos, etc.

Of course, that doesn't mean the game will come out on time, but only that this type of behavior is typical.

D.

• FionFion Member UncommonPosts: 2,348

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/thread/142094

Clearly shows why devs have recently been quiet. I suggest you read it if you are, as Tachyon said, uninformed. ;)

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

You realise we are talking MMOs here ?Not a suspense triller with suprising twist plot ?

I myself am sure 99% procent of MMO gamers will be first in line to the hint websites to learn how to do that quest, or what boss drops what item.

Your point holds apsolutely no water in MMO world.

I just remember a game i eagerly waited to come out. NWN2

They provided almost no information. Showed only couple of gameplay videos. And never gave out demo or trial.

Still until today it is only game ever I dearly regret buying.

So if you say witholding information doesnt mean the game has problems.

In case of Obsidians NWN2 - it did very much

• HengistHengist Member RarePosts: 1,282

This thread really isnt worth anyone's time or response.

That being said, there is one horse that keeps getting beaten long past death, and it's a fairly inaccurate horse at that.

While it's easy to point back to other past MMO releases, and say that AoC is on par with info released at this stage of development, it's a sure bet that people will have a selective memory and try to twist things to be the way that they want them to be, as opposed to how they actually were.

That being said, have a look at some games that are on the same time frame for release, and see exactly how much info, how many video's, and how much dev interaction they have.

Tabula Rasa
    Chronicles of Spellborn
    Huxley
    Gods and Heroes

If you'll notice, AoC has far more info than most of 'em do. If it's not comprehensive, it's far more detailed. Those games embody the "norm" of what I'd expect a fan to have this close to release. It's the tried and true method that game companies have used for years, and it's where most games were.

I deliberately left out two games from that list, so I'll address 'em. Pirates of the Burning Sea is the first one, and it's at a different stage, because it was already due to be released, and was pushed, so it should have more info. However, PotBS has been a model company when it comes to releasing info to it's fans. It's given a TON of info, and in their case, it's been cheap, and extremely effective marketing. I love what their dev team has done.

The other game of course is Warhammer, and they also have embraced the flow of information, and they've also given out a ton of information about their game. They've taken it to another step, and like the game, or hate it, you've got to appreciate the way that they've chosen to pass along information to their fans.

So, has Funcom really not given info, or shorted it's fans? Not at all, it's done about the norm, but when you have easy comparisons to companies who have pushed the envelope and done more, it might seem like that.

When you get right down to it, I think most people would find it amusing if someone were to say that they were 100% making up their mind about a game based on info that is coming out 3 months before release. You've got the LGC where you'll see PvP and siege combat, you've got 12-14 Friday Features plus 2 more Clan of Conan newsletters. They've got to keep something back for those....

Ultimately, if you are a huge fan, you are going to buy anyway, if you are NOT a fan, you probably wont. If you are on the fence, odds are you are waiting for more info anyhow, and you'll base your opinion on either an Open Beta, or on people you know and respect opinion's, post release.

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

I can not belive that you guys really dont get it ?!

Age of Conan - the game we so gladly anticipate - is set to bring things so revolutionary to MMO genre that no other developer even dared to dream of.

Comparing to this Aion, COS even WAR seem like run of the mill MMO

Some of this features are largely considered undoable , but Funcom boldly went where nobody dared to go before. And we all commend them for that.

This are not features like - We have 20 races and 20 classes ! Or We have 100 skills per character ! Or You can have minions !

All this was done before and we all know it can be done !

What guys at Funcom are doing have NEVER BEEN DONE BEFORE !

So pardon my skepticism - when a company that is publishing a game with revolutionary new game mechanics does not show a prof that this actually works - even only 3 months before release !

Twitch based combat in massive multiplayer siege on player made stronghold with fps like aiming ranged attacks and beatemup combo system melee, coupled with spellweaving , siege equipment , inteligent npc reinforcements and over 200 players on the same place dukeing it up !!!

Only two years ago WOW was laging when 200 players stood next to each other and didnt move at all!

So call me suspicious Tom ... but i like to see some proof

• HengistHengist Member RarePosts: 1,282

Originally posted by Lobotomist

So pardon my skepticism - when a company that is publishing a game with revolutionary new game mechanics does not show a prof that this actually works - even only 3 months before release !
    Twitch based combat in massive multiplayer siege on player made stronghold with fps like aiming ranged attacks and beatemup combo system melee, coupled with spellweaving , siege equipment , inteligent npc reinforcements and over 200 players on the same place dukeing it up !!!
    Only two years ago WOW was laging when 200 players stood next to each other and didnt move at all!
    So call me suspicious Tom ... but i like to see some proof

So what you are saying is that showing it in Leipzig in August, 2 months before release is just way too late in the development? It'd be one thing if they either did not show it, or not release any info about it at all, but point of fact they are showing it 2 months before release, at a major trade show, and allowing people to experience it first hand. So....really...are you not getting it, or do you just have to have info when you demand it? As if that somehow makes it the "right" thing to do, and you've got to be suspicious if you dont get what you want?

Of course reason would suggest that if it doesnt come off at LGC, or comes off poorly, then you'd have a REASON to be leary of it, but hey, may as well just get a head start, right?

• KasimirKasimir Member Posts: 197

Well if you want proof, then maybe sit down and be quiet until you have actual facts to go on? Maybe not run around like some 5 year old and scream wolf at anyhting your imaginaiton see or dont see? Maybe actually have the SLIGHTEST idea what you are talking about before you feel the need to write a post with doom and gloom for no other reason than annoying people?

I am the first to follow a discussion between two people in a beta that actually SEE problems, real problems that actually exist and try to discuss the impact of those problems on a community and what can be done about it. I applaud anyone that can dicsuss the flaws of a product in a constructive manner, flaws that they have actually EXPERIENCED.

That also makes me the first to seriously doubt any credibility or even brain pattern of a person that start ranting and raving about imaginary facts he knows nothing about, accusing both a company and a product for all sorts of imaginary things because.... the reason.. he has absolutly NO facts at ALL to go on! It is beyond stupid. I know, that is an insult, I am really sorry, but I see no other way of saying it.

It is... If I want to buy a car, I dont buy a car that has the most commersials and the most ads in papers... I would NEVER start attacking another company and saying their car sucks because "This month they did not have as many commerisals on TV as the other car, their car must SUCK!!" That is not a fact about the car, that is.... yes, stupid. I am not saying you are a stupid person, really I am not, but behaviour like that cant be explained in another word.

Marketing of AoC has clearly gone into its next phase. They are removing resources from preaching to the choir, and pushing in resources in trying to get the game out to people that have not heard about it yet (Which is a lot of people, not visiting their homesite 5 times a week) It is close to release and they want their game to be seen by others than thos that follow it. There are tons of expos, I have seen full spreads in computer magazines, I have seen ads and tons of other things happening out int he real world, outside of thier homepage... And you are saying that just because you dont get a new movie of a man riding a horsie the game is DOOMED!!?

Seriously... Cry wolf all you want, run to a forum where people follow the game and start trolling it with your lack of information, but never try to tell anyone its a sensible and objective discussion between mature people. Its nothing of the sort, its uneducated rantning and raving of the worst kind. Pure trolling, in its essence.

Anatomy of a Fanboi

This is you.

• JPR1985JPR1985 Member Posts: 212

Originally posted by atziluth

I would agree with you if you also agree to not declare the game at all and refuse all pre-orders.

Thing is, pre-orders are with your store, funcom has nothing to do with them. If the game is delayed or not what you think it is, take it up with the store for taking the pre-order. They decide when to take them, not funcom.

• atziluthatziluth Member UncommonPosts: 1,190
    Originally posted by JPR1985

Thing is, pre-orders are with your store, funcom has nothing to do with them. If the game is delayed or not what you think it is, take it up with the store for taking the pre-order. They decide when to take them, not funcom.

The publisher sets the price for pre-order... If they do not set a price, retail sites cannot put up the product for pre-order.

-Atziluth-

- Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.

• DefiledFDefiledF Member Posts: 102

Horse necrophillia mixed with sadism is bad, mkay?

• JPR1985JPR1985 Member Posts: 212

Originally posted by JPR1985

The publisher sets the price for pre-order... If they do not set a price, retail sites cannot put up the product for pre-order.

Actually the stores do everything with preorders. Hence the price varies form store to store, ebgames could be 5$, bb might be 10$, futureshop is usually 20$. The stores decide not the company.