Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DAMN I'M GETTING HALO 3 (4 Player CO-OP via Link and Xbox Live Revealed)

Rikimaru_XRikimaru_X Member UncommonPosts: 11,718

Me and my dad went up on Co-Op Halo and that is one of the reasons why I love Halo. It was for Co-Op. I wanted H2 so bad to have online Co-Op, but it didn't. Now news revealed that there will be 4 PLAYER ONLINE CO-OP THROUGH LINK AND/OR XBOX LIVE. Now that is amazing!!!!! I'm going to reserve for Halo 3 pretty soon now.

NEWS STORY

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It’s time for us to sack up and tell you what’s what regarding online co-op.

So you were probably wondering why we didn’t want to commit to two player co-op online over Xbox Live. We certainly got plenty of mail asking, no, demanding that we make it happen. Of course we were working on it, but we were also working on something better. Not two player co-op. Not three-player co-op, but up to four player co-op. Online. On Xbox Live, or sure, System Link if you prefer.

That is correct – up to four player co-op in Campaign mode on Xbox Live or System Link.

We’ve been playing it for quite some time, and bluntly, having some of our greatest ever Halo experiences. We wanted to make sure all our “t”s were crossed and our “i”s dotted before unveiling this important new part of Halo 3’s Campaign mode.

Apart from the horrifying network challenges this new mode presented us, were the various gameplay balance issues it adds to the fray. So we got it all together, polished it, and that’s why we’re revealing it now. As a result, you’re going to want to play co-op as hard as you can stomach it. We’d certainly recommend Legendary, but we’ll be revealing some more ways to make the game more interesting and challenging for multiple players in the very near future.

Acting as a team is a fantastic new twist to the Campaign gameplay – something that works as well on foot, in close confines as it does on the battlefield, with large scale vehicle mayhem. Scared of Jackal snipers? Send out a scout to see what dangers lie ahead. Terrified of an open field? Flank your enemies and swipe their rides. The combinations and scenarios are endless – and you’ll be able to enjoy them time and time again in Saved Films of your co-op exploits.

We mentioned that we’ve been having a blast. We have a lot of stories. Many of them would require that we explain some of the reasons replay will be a big factor, but not quite yet. Soon, we promise.

Like every other aspect of Halo 3, this mode is chosen from a Lobby. Simply select Campaign, choose your network (Xbox Live or System Link) and invite your friends to join you, or they can simply join your session once it’s set up and in a lobby (but they cannot join a game once it’s in-progress). They will pop into your lobby instantly, and when you have all the players you need (anywhere from one to four) you can begin the game from the beginning – or from any of your saved checkpoints.

Split-screen co-op is as ever, limited to two players per screen – but they can if they wish join two other friends online or via System Link.

For fictional reasons, we decided to avoid Halo’s slightly surreal compromise of two identical Master Chiefs and rather, use this opportunity to expand the Halo universe just a little bit. Player one will control the Master Chief, player two will control the Arbiter and players three and four will get the chance to control two brand new Elite characters.

Allow us to introduce them:

PLAYER 3 (Sangheili)

Name: N’tho ‘Sraom

Affiliation: Fleet of Retribution/Special Warfare Group/Special Operations

History: N’tho ‘Sraom is the youngest member of his Special Operations unit and is one of a growing number of human sympathizers amongst the Sangheili youth. He is a fairly typical young male adult Sangheili—he began compulsory military service at the end of adolescence, and remains unmarried with no close, non-familial relationships outside of his martial order. N’tho Sraom refused to stand idly by while the Prophets replaced Sangheili units with Jiralhanae packs, and now bears deep resentment toward those Sangheili politicians who landed his kind in their current predicament.

Although N’tho ‘Sraom’s romanticized nationalism is emblematic of all Sangheili, he has developed a healthy respect for humanity—not for their physical abilities or martial prowess, but for their audacity and resolve.

PLAYER 4 (Sangheili)

Name: Usze ‘Taham

Affiliation: Fleet of Retribution/Special Warfare Group/Fleet Security

History: Although Usze ‘Taham was born into a respected merchant family he was fathered by Toha ‘Sumai—one of the preeminent swordfighters of this age. Usze graduated with honors from the top War College in the Iruiru region of Yermo, Sanghelios (a distinction he shares with Rtas 'Vadum). Shortly after receiving his first post within the Covenant Navy he was offered a place on the Prophets’ Honor Guard but he declined citing “lack of practical experience”. In truth, he had no desire to be part of a largely ceremonial unit, and at the end of his third combat tour, Usze ‘Taham again refused the post—even though his superiors warned him such behavior could be misinterpreted as apostasy.

Since that time Usze has evaded countless punitive actions, at least two assassination attempts, and served with distinction for two additional tours before the Schism. Following the dissolution of the Covenant, he was approached by the Ascetics to become one of their liaisons within the Navy.

Every player will have identical abilities – only their appearance and weapon starts are different (Elites will start with Carbines versus Battle Rifles for example, depending on the mission). So there you have it. Mystery solved. Internet dramas ended. Four player online co-op it is. And a special thanks to the test, engineering, production and design teams who worked incredibly hard to make this feature happen.

Bam!

-In memory of Laura "Taera" Genender. Passed away on Aug/13/08-
|
RISING DRAGOON ~AION US ONLINE LEGION for Elyos

Comments

• moostownmoostown Member CommonPosts: 377

I don't get why the smallest thing and xbox owners go crazy : 4 player coop has been done years ago no need to cream urself.

Story of Halos life really "been there done that"

• Why do you allow Xenos scum on your team? Make your team all human! Exterminate the xenos scum.

• Rikimaru_XRikimaru_X Member UncommonPosts: 11,718

Don't even be like that bro. There hasn't been much of a 4 player "Co-Op" Story Mode type of a game on Xbox or for Halo in a matter of fact.

-In memory of Laura "Taera" Genender. Passed away on Aug/13/08-
    |
    RISING DRAGOON ~AION US ONLINE LEGION for Elyos

• NihilanthNihilanth Member Posts: 1,357

Originally posted by Rikimaru_X

Don't even be like that bro. There hasn't been much of a 4 player "Co-Op" Story Mode type of a game on Xbox or for Halo in a matter of fact.
    Don't mind him too much.  His top priority on these forums is to make posts bashing console gamers into what he thinks is oblivion while promoting his apparently God-like PC gaming to top gaming status.  He's just another one of the many PC gaming elitists out there, and he's not above stretching the truth, ignoring facts, exaggerating console faults, and flat out lying to complete his crusade consoles.  (Before I get flamed, I'm not saying PC gaming is bad by any means.  I'm just saying that this guy is an elitist who tries to say console gaming is horrible/pointless, and that simply is not true.)

Anyways, back on topic.  I can't wait to get some online co-op going.  I played through all of Gears of War on co-op, and it was freakin awesome.  I love co-op, and having it online for Halo 3 is going to kick some serious ass.

Schutzbar - Human Warrior - Windrunner Alliance - World of Warcraft
    Nihilanth - Kerra Paladin - Blackburrow - EverQuest II
    XBL Gamertag - Eagle15GT

• Rreka'alRreka'al Member Posts: 450

I was really dissappointed when Halo 2 wouldn't let you play co-op online, so this is a step in the right direction. As for the 4-person co-op being done, I only know of one game that every did it (a great game that never really caught on, Brute Force) and I loved it, so I'm looking forward to it in Halo.

• GameloadingGameloading Member UncommonPosts: 14,182

Co - op is one of the reasons I like Rainbow Six vegas. Especialy the terrorist hunt co-op, its unpredictable and its fun.

I hope they will add more modes to co-op then just the storyline, like the terrorist hunt I just mentioned. Playing the campaing co-op is fun once, its less fun twice, and it becomes a chore after the 3rd time Imo.