Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

# of subscribers to each mmorpg?

Can anyone give a list of each mmorpg out with how many subscribers it has, with proof?

Played: The Realm, AC1, DAoC, AC2, Planetside, Earth and Beyond, Lineage1

Now Playing: SWG

Comments

• RJCoxRJCox Member Posts: 2,686

This chart has subscription numbers through Jan:

http://pw1.netcom.com/~sirbruce/Subscriptions.html

Richard J. Cox
    "There were much of the beautiful, much of the wanton, much of the bizarre, something of the terrible, and not a little of that which might have excited disgust."

• Spitfire6000Spitfire6000 Member Posts: 18

awesome thanks...

but one thing...how come in the review of swg, the reviewer is complaining about a small community...when if u look at the subscription #s at the end of jan for swg, its still above 250,000

• ZelphZelph Member Posts: 115

Hrmm... well something sure doesn't seem to be making sense to me about SWG's subscriptions. That chart shows that it capped out at 300k before starting to decline. But yet SWG just recently announced at the one year anniversery that they have 500k registered users with 115k people logging into the game daily. That doesn't add up.

Is that chart incorrect, or is SWG stretching the numbers or what? I doubt SWG has suddenly shot up in that brief period of time to more than what EQ has, from last I hear they are still steadily losing subscriptions. Perhaps SWG has 500k people who have ever subscribed, but only has about 275k current subscribers? *scratches his head* image

Yeah thats what i really dont understand. See i just finished my 14 day trial of SWG and every planet on my server (bria) except lok was absurdly packed with people. Strange isnt it....

Thing is, im probably going to get a subsrcription to swg but after reading the review here at mmorpg.com saying that the world is underpopulated i thought...are u playing the same game as me? *scratches head with extreme force*

• RJCoxRJCox Member Posts: 2,686

I was the one who wrote that review, and at the time I played, it was very empty. But this is also taken in comparrison to when I played it before, during the first 4 months or so after it released. THEN it was packed, you almost couldn't get from one side of Theed to the other due to the thousands of people in the town, and the other major cities were the same. And when I played back then I was on one of the low population servers, when I went back for the review I picked one of the higher populated servers. When I was saying the community is lacking, I wasn't comparing it to other games, I was comparing it to what it had been before.

Richard J. Cox
    "There were much of the beautiful, much of the wanton, much of the bizarre, something of the terrible, and not a little of that which might have excited disgust."

oh thanks for the clarification bud :)

i was just kind of confused...cause my experience was concerning these last 2 weeks and from what i saw the game was really packed, especially at peak times. But now i understand what youre saying.

• XzaroXzaro Member UncommonPosts: 1,719

Don't forget Lineage with over 2 million subscribers worldwide ::::40::

• HebrewBombHebrewBomb Member UncommonPosts: 520

Originally posted by Xzaro

Don't forget Lineage with over 2 million subscribers worldwide ::::40::

Everyone knows that. Everytime there is hype on Lineage 2, someone freaking post this chart !!!!!

I believe in laws of causality.

• herculeshercules Member UncommonPosts: 4,924

Originally posted by Spitfire6000

Yeah thats what i really dont understand. See i just finished my 14 day trial of SWG and every planet on my server (bria) except lok was absurdly packed with people. Strange isnt it....
    Thing is, im probably going to get a subsrcription to swg but after reading the review here at mmorpg.com saying that the world is underpopulated i thought...are u playing the same game as me? *scratches head with extreme force*

Actually on that same review i gave my comeback to SWG experience too where i said that the planets are very populated .

In short some planets spaceports require a powerful system to walk thru lag free on some servers because of the numbers.

Of the 500k i would say about 100k to 200k are trial accounts but that still is over 300k or close to 400k of actual paying accounts.However,due to the 1 character per account many people espically those into jedi and economics(which i guess accounts for like 90% of the people) use muliple accounts .

So while i believe the true numbers of actual players(ie those behind the keyboard) are no more then 100k to 150k the numbers of accounts that are paying are about triple this numbers.

• ResetgunResetgun Member Posts: 471

Some recent statistics from AO (from three year anniversary PR message from Funcom)

More than 3 million characters have been created

More than 700.000 players have registered with a credit card

Over 2 million Anarchy Online clients have been distributed

Some other intresting statistics also in that PR message: the average age of a player in Anarchy Online is 27 years, 85% are male vs. 15% female, 40% of the characters are female.

"I know I said this was my last post, but you my friend are a idiotic moron." -Shadow4482

Originally posted by hercules

Actually on that same review i gave my comeback to SWG experience too where i said that the planets are very populated .

In short some planets spaceports require a powerful system to walk thru lag free on some servers because of the numbers.

Of the 500k i would say about 100k to 200k are trial accounts but that still is over 300k or close to 400k of actual paying accounts.However,due to the 1 character per account many people espically those into jedi and economics(which i guess accounts for like 90% of the people) use muliple accounts .

So while i believe the true numbers of actual players(ie those behind the keyboard) are no more then 100k to 150k the numbers of accounts that are paying are about triple this numbers.

ok if u think about it though, 150,000 players is still more than enough to keep the game alive and brimming. AC1 has less than 100,000 i think right now and its community is stronger than that of most mogs that have been released after it. This is a result of nearly 90% of current AC1 players being long time mog veterans/hardcore gamers. Meaning a community of say 50,000 hardcore gamers, will always be stronger than a community of 200,000 casual gamers.   

• XzaroXzaro Member UncommonPosts: 1,719

awesome thanks...
    but one thing...how come in the review of swg, the reviewer is complaining about a small community...when if u look at the subscription #s at the end of jan for swg, its still above 250,000

It's either your server is way populated than the one I played on or...

Your mistaken the SO MANY npcs for real player's. Real players appear blue on your radar/map, not white just in case.

• SketchSketch Member UncommonPosts: 337

Also important to keep in mind is the high level of faithful SW followers. SWG had over 500,000 preorders before the game was released, I played when it came out and was quicly bored. Although a starwars fan the community was still lost in the game and I got bored of running for 30mins to reclaim my body. When I returned many months later the community was huge and tons of people around for guidance and help... But beyond any of that SWG had one thing no other game has.... and for all the emotes in all the games NOTHING COMPARES TO MY BREAKDANCING WOOKIE!!!!!!!! (of course seince then I quit and went back to AO... I'm getting bored in AO again though, so I'm hoping a kick ass game comes out soon.)

• CillasiCillasi Member UncommonPosts: 335

Originally posted by Zelph

Hrmm... well something sure doesn't seem to be making sense to me about SWG's subscriptions. That chart shows that it capped out at 300k before starting to decline. But yet SWG just recently announced at the one year anniversery that they have 500k registered users with 115k people logging into the game daily. That doesn't add up.
    Is that chart incorrect, or is SWG stretching the numbers or what? I doubt SWG has suddenly shot up in that brief period of time to more than what EQ has, from last I hear they are still steadily losing subscriptions. Perhaps SWG has 500k people who have ever subscribed, but only has about 275k current subscribers? *scratches his head* image

Ah, the beauty of statistics.  Unless you know how and what they're counting, you are left scratching your head.  What possibly could "500,000 registered users" mean?  You have to "register" your game key when you buy it.  However, does it refer to "subscribed" users?  If it meant that, seems to me it would say "500K subscribed users.  Without knowing what constitutes "a registered user" you have no way of discerning the impact of 500,000 registered users. 

Next, "115,000 people logging into the game daily."  What could this mean?  115,000 separate and distinct accounts?  115,000 separate and distinct characters?  115,000 log ins recorded?  If I log into the game 23 times today on one character, does it count as one log in or 23?  If you don't know what constitutes "1 person logging in" then you can't figure out what they're talking about.