Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SOE to announce 3 new MMOs - Updated

2»

Comments

• CelestianCelestian Member UncommonPosts: 1,136

Originally posted by Kyleran
    Originally posted by Mosfet If it's good, I'll play it.
    But its SOE...chances of it being good are quite low.....

and no, I'm not an SOE hater, just point out their lack of dominance in the market.....

By that logic everyone sucks BUT blizzard which... it's a very well reasoned conclusion.

• VaedurVaedur Member Posts: 430

Originally posted by Martie

3rd title is named, "will SOE ever make or publish any decent mmo".
    Sounds like an awsome mmo right there. gogogo SOE
    EQII is fantastic, and EQ is probebly the MMO that started the craze *sorry UO players*

Sony has made terrific MMO's, and some of their not so terrific they bought..

..this site is filled w/ people who just like to blow hot air, rediculous the lack of fact people use when talking about games.. everyone stop knocking games until you actually played them...

• zenaphexzenaphex Member Posts: 73

" Free Realms is targeted at children, particularly girls."

Great. The pedos will be onslaughting that one.

One other Sony title that is around and hasn't become public beta/trial yet, based on their trial page,  is PS3's Home. Don't know what relevance this has toward SOE but thought I'd mention it. It's like Xbox Live for Windows.

• HappyFunBallHappyFunBall Member UncommonPosts: 221

WTF?

SOE's customer base might have an average age of 32 but that sure doesn't ring true in 95% of the games I've played/tried recently.  Granted, many are free games, because I will no longer pay a sub without *really* enjoying an MMO, AND, being able to have a decent free trial FIRST (and I must say, free, i.e. no sub, no credit card, attracts kiddies like moths to a night light).

Unfortunately many of the 20-odd MMO's I've played recently are full of immature brats... No offense brats, but you are, well, immature brats.  All these ridiculous usernames, moronic "leet'/AOL speak, rudeness, racism, sexism, just plain overall stupidity in each games 'user-base.  SOE wants to bring the average age down?!!!!  Are they on crack?  I think all the mature players have been driven out of most games already.

If I hear one more argument between 2 12-year olds, how each of them thinks they "owned" the other one, I'm gonna reach into my screen, across the net, and slap these kids silly.

Pk this, pk that.  Mindless.  What happened to games where you actually EXPLORE and ADVENTURE... every free/item mall-based clone I've seen is chock-full of some of the most immature brats I've ever seen assembled in one place.

Bah!.. I was hoping there would be a trend to bring back role-playing, exploring, more quests, leveling without 99% grinding, and MATURITY and kindness among players.  So much for that dream. 

• darkisamuxdarkisamux Member Posts: 20

hmm i dunno. i tend to believe that figure actually.  eq/eq2/swg/mxo are almost like refuges for adult mmo players.  and the figure only referenced soe's customer base.  most of the teen-20ish crowd bailed from soe titles when wow came out.  although, i would say the figure is probably off a good bit in regards to swg.  still pretty accurate.

so the 3 games are?

- the agency-  tabula rasa/huxley/teamfortress2 ripoff attempt at the fps/action/rpg hybrid.  tf2 rip because of the cellshading and well.. just watch the trailers for tf2, then agency.  throw in some mimes and british accents and it would be a no one lives forever mmo.  hey.. might be fun.

-  maybe dc comics, maybe refering to GnH.

- free realms-  sony's step into the micro-transaction market.   the comment about the pedophiles having a field day with this title got me thinking, it damn, its creepy but true. hopefuly the game has a lot of restrictions and securiity. cuz people are freaks.  .. its so gonna end up on dateline nbc.

i would say the agency has some potential. depends on how it plays i suppose. if its more fps than rpg hybrid it could be good. if it plays like tabula rasa- it could suck. just imo. cant really talk about that game though cuz of nda

• HappyFunBallHappyFunBall Member UncommonPosts: 221

I agree that pedos will be all over a game aimed at young girls.  That one scares the shit out of me.  I have NO idea how they are going to keep the pedo trolls outta that game.

Kids are so vulnerable with the net nowadays ALREADY.  Have you seen how many kids are exploited with webcams/digital cameras/etc now?  It makes me want to rip my eyes out.  I have 3 small kids and actually took internet access away from them, all-together.  If they need to use the web, they can do it in my presence.  Also, never EVER give a kid a webcam and web access.  Pre-pre-teens can work web-cams, which shocked the hell out of me, and I thought I'd seen everything!

Wow, I'm off topic.

Anyway, I would love for my daughter to play a 100% safe MMO game with other REAL girls her own age, but we all know the reality there.

• falc0nfalc0n Member UncommonPosts: 385

Playing a free to play mmo from sony sounds like a huge waste of time imo

• fawdownfawdown Member UncommonPosts: 186

EQ2 hahahahahahahahahahaha....................................hahahahahahahahaha. 
    Well i suppose after1 year half years from its inital relase it was a crappy game, 2 years on and about 4 expansions it was crap, and 3 years and  now after 50th  expnasion its still crap.  Only people that actually think its any good are the wow haters on this site lol.

The only way you would know this is if you are playing it.  If you haven't then you are just trolling.  Do you have a reason why you don't like it, as it is right now?  If you do not tell us specifically WHAT you don't like,  it means nothing at all and is a waste of time.

• killercodkillercod Member Posts: 30

Don't know if anyone noticed, or cares...but

SOE recently aquired distribution rights from Flying Labs to market thier Pirates of the Burning Sea's MMO that's coming out.  That scares me too, cuz I was really wanting to try that one...but with SOE involved in any way it puts a harsh taste in my mouth.

Flying Labs "says" that SOE is just going to handle retail distrubution, marketing, billing, etc...but I can't see them doing that just for a slice of the pie, unless they think Flying Labs is going to go belly up one day so they can aquire the title...

Off track, but since this is about SOE I thought the info appropriate....

• zipitzipit Member Posts: 487
    Originally posted by killercod

Don't know if anyone noticed, or cares...but
    SOE recently aquired distribution rights from Flying Labs to market thier Pirates of the Burning Sea's MMO that's coming out.  That scares me too, cuz I was really wanting to try that one...but with SOE involved in any way it puts a harsh taste in my mouth.
    Flying Labs "says" that SOE is just going to handle retail distrubution, marketing, billing, etc...but I can't see them doing that just for a slice of the pie, unless they think Flying Labs is going to go belly up one day so they can aquire the title...
    Off track, but since this is about SOE I thought the info appropriate....

Know how you feel. I haven't spent one single Euro on any SOE product since the infamous player massacre of the dark NGE times. But - dammit - I really want to try out this pirate MMO. I played the original 'Pirates' on both Commodore 64 and Amiga 500 and its a classic. I know alot of the guys who are lining up to play the game are worried about SOE involvement, but we'll just have to see what happens. Yeah, I also think SOE would like nothing more than to make a hostile takeover on Flying labs, but if that ever happens I'm outta there.

• GameloadingGameloading Member UncommonPosts: 14,182

I personally think SOE has lost it.

• ShohadakuShohadaku Member Posts: 581

I will never play another SOE game ever again.

When SOE threw years of my time into characters on SWG in the toilet with a horrid pathetic excuse for an "upgrade" I learned the importance of TRUSTING the company running a game I put any time into.

They bait and switched customers, lying many times to their paying players. They will do it again.

The fact they are aiming for kids and girls is the exact same direction that ruined SWG.

Screw you SOE.

• suskesuske Member Posts: 714

good idea to look to a new demographic since you have alienated and pissed off the one you had. however mr.smed i should inform you that 20-something ladies are not stupider than 30-something males.

as to people who claim soe is an industry leader......they have only one title that they actually made. eq2. the rest were bought. this is could be the golden age for indie gaming with companies like icarus and areae . the big dinosaurs are going to become extinct....i hope.

• SquigglleSquigglle Member Posts: 4

yeah SOE really did kill SWG pretty badl. i loved pre and even cu was good but the nge just SUCKS any idea what games are coming out? we know burning sea is SOE

• AveBethosAveBethos Member Posts: 611

The Agency actually sounds promising...  Until you remember that it is SOE.  I don't understand why a developer would want to have anything to do with SOE at this point. 

• daelnordaelnor Member UncommonPosts: 1,556

Originally posted by AveBethos
    The Agency actually sounds promising...  Until you remember that it is SOE.  I don't understand why a developer would want to have anything to do with SOE at this point. 

Cause Sony has lots and lots of $$$$$$$$

D.

• IndoIndo Member Posts: 252
    Originally posted by Shohadaku

I will never play another SOE game ever again.
    When SOE threw years of my time into characters on SWG in the toilet with a horrid pathetic excuse for an "upgrade" I learned the importance of TRUSTING the company running a game I put any time into.
    They bait and switched customers, lying many times to their paying players. They will do it again.

The fact they are aiming for kids and girls is the exact same direction that ruined SWG.
    Screw you SOE.

Chalk EA up to this also....

• shukes33shukes33 Member Posts: 1,051

maybe developers, remember the ones that make games for a living know more about the industry than the rest of us? maybe this is the reason they turn to soe a lot. i mean ok i hate sprouts too but i can see its just my preference. lets face it. EQ2 is a solid game! love it or hate it its still a solid game. i play VG and think its the best out there for my tastes. ok i am still waiting for a few more things to be ironed out but again lets face it, sigil couldnt handle the game...in steps soe and since they entered the fray VG has been improved a huge amount.

and you all talk about this smedley guy thinking about buisness all the time! who is he? is he chief designer or something? because they way you guys talk him he sounds like he acts more like a chief exec or something! lol he should read his job description or something. hang on a sec he isn't chief exec is he?