Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Does anybody know of a good skill based game currently available?

VamptonVampton Member Posts: 46

I'm trying to find a skill based game where characters become unique based on how you build your character.  I prefer something in which you gain skill points based on your actions.  I am currently fooling around with the Saga of Ryzom trial but it still leaves something to be desired.  I am sick of the pick a class and gain experience and gear until everyone that picked the same class is max level and has the same gear and the same skills.  I don't want to be the same as ANYONE else, that is the whole point in an MMORPG for me.  If I wanted to be the same as everyone else I would go play a linear offline RPG.  Another thing I am looking for is a game in which I can do whatever I feel like doing.  By this, I mean if I have an hour to fool around between my two jobs I can log into the game and swing a sword, cast a spell,  or whatever else and actually gain some skill(or a skill point that can be assigned if it has to be that way).  I am not looking for the perfect game because that has not existed since they nerfed UO, just something that I can use to take my mind off of things until Darkfall at least enters into beta.  Any suggestions are appreciated but please do not suggest anything that is not skill based.

P.S.  PvP is a plus

Comments

• trallatralla Member Posts: 290

I just have to say one word: FINALLY! someone who thinks like me.

I'm also waiting for Darkfall.. You might want to try out Guildwars, max lvl 20, takes about 2 days (normal playing) to reach max. It's one of the most skillbased mmorpg out there today, sadly enough..

"I'm not looking for a game, i'm looking for a world"

• VamptonVampton Member Posts: 46

I played Guild Wars beta and for a month or two after release.  I quit playing when my guild fell apart and I no longer had any friends playing.  I am more of a soloist and the pvp is more group based in Guild Wars unless something has changed?

• CaptainWinkiCaptainWinki Member Posts: 13

Guild Wars has changed SO much since beta. A ton of content added.

Although, it still remains team based PvP. That being said, Random Arenas is a good way to jump in and out of PvP battles without setting up a team. Somewhat limited, but it certainly works for me when I have some spare time. There is no monthly cost either.

Yeah, its not for everyone, but you described what you wanted and Guild Wars fits.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435

If you can leave the sword/spells at the door and get used to training skills in real time rather than by using them then EVE might be the game you are looking for....

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• the_troutthe_trout Member Posts: 84

I think Ryzom is the closest thing your going to find to what your looking for. I find myself in a bit of the same situation. I suspect there are many more of us waiting to spend our money on a new skills based game.

You hear that MMO devs?

MANY of us are waiting to $PEND our MONEY on a SKILLS BASED GAME.

• Two Words, Roma Victor. Go take a look, I've seen so many people crying on these forums for a Hardcore, Skill based sandbox game and no one ever suggests this. I was following this game but before it came out I got a job and people said the game takes a good donation of time to really get into it you can't just play it for 30 mins.

So go ahead take a look, it has PvP, corpse looting, Skill based, Player Housing, No monthly Fees, and No Gold Sellers. From all the whining I see it sounds like its a dream game. Reason no monthly fees and no gold sellers is cos you can buy gold from the company its how they get their money, and it seems reasonably priced.

• paulscottpaulscott Member Posts: 5,613

EvE is the best skill based game out right now.

I find it amazing that by 2020 first world countries will be competing to get immigrants.

I've tried Eve before...Click on a target, select orbit, activate weapons...wait...boring...

I appreciate all the replies but can you give me a little bit of reasoning while stating your opinions?

Saga of Ryzom is the first game in a long time that has kept my interest for more than one or two sittings but the performances is a little bit choppy sometimes... maybe my pc?

• pyrofreakpyrofreak Member UncommonPosts: 1,481
    Originally posted by Vampton

Saga of Ryzom is the first game in a long time that has kept my interest for more than one or two sittings but the performances is a little bit choppy sometimes... maybe my pc?

Most likely your pc, I never had any problems.

Now with 57.3% more flames!

• BhazirBhazir Member Posts: 321

As others said it already. Eve-Online and Saga of Ryzom are the best pure skill based mmorpgs out there.

But for the rest you ask a lot of a game. Why? Because in the end most people will tend to follow those before them. Look at how many times you see the question ask: 'what is the best class?'. Now you would say that is class, but in the time I played Ryzom and Eve I have seen simmular questions about what is the best build to start with? Or is this any good? It isn't the problem of games, but a problem of the gamers. There aren't enough gamers around that want to be different from others.

So if you really want to be different then you will have to take the worst combination and those that are viewed as gimp or weak builds. I can say in advance already that you won't have many others the same as you ;)

Next we got your problem with open ended. That means everything in game is open for everyone if I'm correct. This means given enough time everyone will have done everything. Like in Ryzom give someone more then enough time to play he will max all trees. And others will reach this state as well. Making that everyone will end with exact the same skills. The good part however is in Ryzom you can compose your own spells.

"If all magic fails, rely on three feet of steel and a strong arm"

• bcelmobcelmo Member Posts: 4

2 words: Guild Wars

Currently Playing:
    Silkroad Online
    Retired From:
    Mu Online, Guild Wars, Ultima Online, Lineage 2, Auto Assault,
    Wanting to play:
    2Moons, Flyff, Trickster, Tales of Pirates, Voyage Century, Cabal
    Looking forward to:
    Warhammer Online, Tabula Rasa, PotBS, Granado Espada, Huxley, Aion

• Originally posted by bcelmo

Made me laugh.

Edit: Post below made me laugh aswell. True, but funny.

• AkaJetsonAkaJetson Member Posts: 1,167

Runescape is a skill based game.

?

• AkaJetsonAkaJetson Member Posts: 1,167
    Originally posted by kiers182

Originally posted by bcelmo

Made me laugh.

Edit: Post below made me laugh aswell. True, but funny.

I didnt say it was the best skill based game...

?

• cupertinocupertino Member Posts: 1,094

No MMO needs skill its all select target > mash hot keys

• CaptainWinkiCaptainWinki Member Posts: 13

Originally posted by cupertino

Most MMOs dont need skill its all select target > mash hot keys

Fixed.

OK. I'm gonna sound like a Guild Wars fanboy, but whatever, I don't care.

Guild Wars IS highly skill based, you go play it without any skill or thought and you'll only struggle. It takes team coordination, knowledge of how skills work together and even sometimes quick reactions for interupt skills.

Although, GW is the mother of all instance games.

The skill in EvE online is never payed off becuase the battles are mediocre at best. It has one of the most boring combat systems I've played. Granted it's different, but boring.

• huxflux2004huxflux2004 Member Posts: 730

pre-NGE SWG

• SamuraiswordSamuraisword Member Posts: 2,111

Ryzom unitl Chronicles releases.

I laughed at the recommendation for Roma Victor. What a smelly POS of a game.

• LilianeLiliane Member Posts: 591
    Originally posted by Vampton

I  I am not looking for the perfect game because that has not existed since they nerfed UO,

They nerfed UO, how and when?

MMORPG.COM has worst forum editor ever exists

• CyberWizCyberWiz Member UncommonPosts: 914

Originally posted by Liliane
    Originally posted by Vampton I  I am not looking for the perfect game because that has not existed since they nerfed UO,
    They nerfed UO, how and when?

He may mean the Trammel ( introduced a PvE mirror of the PvP world ) expansion or the shadows ( more item based ) expansion.

2 ill conceived expansions by the veterans.

still ultima online stands it's ground up until now

greetz

If you are interested in subscription or PCU numbers for MMORPG's, check out my site :
    http://mmodata.blogspot.be/
    Favorite MMORPG's : DAoC pre ToA-NF, SWG Pre CU-NGE, EVE Online

• CyberWizCyberWiz Member UncommonPosts: 914

Well, currently it is hard to find a true skill based sandbox type of game that is really good.

We have :

Ultima Online : got all the goodies, but also some serious drawbacks : no real 3D engine, the carebear world of trammel and more item based since the shadows expansion.

SWG : was a good sandbox with skill based system, but as we know, CU and NGE "fixed" the game into a failed WoW clone.

EVE Online : Got everything from skill based, to territory conquest, to politics, to player crafting, it got even a nice 3D engine. But the combat is soooo slow and boring ... I am still trying to like EVE, but it is hard when you fall asleep behind the computer while fighting.

Darkfall : Some say it exists, but that is just a rumor.

Planetside : Skill based character, FPS combat, great game, but as an RPG it fails, it does not have alot of longetivity. You can "finish" the game in like 2 months. Then after that you can frag people like in Unreal Tournament on a grand scale, but after a while it get's old because you can not advance your character anymore. It also does not have any sandbox type of features. It does have DAoC kind of RvR.

Saga of Rhyzom : I heard alot about it, not all good, but still more then good enough to try it out. I will try out this game soon.

Roma Victor : I guess it is becomming an option, havent played it yet.

So atm, there are only 2 options that may provide my "fix" : Saga of Rhyzom and Roma Victor.

Greetz

If you are interested in subscription or PCU numbers for MMORPG's, check out my site :
    http://mmodata.blogspot.be/
    Favorite MMORPG's : DAoC pre ToA-NF, SWG Pre CU-NGE, EVE Online

• METALDRAG0NMETALDRAG0N Member Posts: 1,680

Originally posted by huxflux2004

pre-NGE SWG
    Lol nooby he asked for currently available skill based games.

I can safely say that EvE online is a good skill based game.

"Kill one man, and you are a murderer. Kill millions of men, and you are a conqueror. Kill them all, and you are a god."
    -- Jean Rostand

• AnofalyeAnofalye Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,433

City of Villains has no skills...

But if you find someone who is IDENTICAL to your character after level 30, I would be surprised.  Sure there will be many similitude, but you will rarely find the exact same primary and secondary on another.  Even if the other has the same primary and secondary, then there is still the alternates powers, the epic powers and how each of these powers are selected and slotted (not everyone in the same primary or secondary will pick the exact same powers).

Look-wise, nothing will be looking similar to you in CoV unless you lack imagination.

- "If I understand you well, you are telling me until next time. " - Ren