Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to make your GF play LA2

DessanoDessano Member Posts: 76

So, Maybe it was discussed already erlier.

But Still, how to make My girlfrined play LA2?

So basivly she never played anything before, well she tryed WoW and she didnt like it. Then she tryed Guildwars and didnt like it ever.

The thing is that its not the games that she dont like but the she didnt get it :-) i mean she find it boring.

so how to cure her :-)

Comments

• TheutusTheutus Member UncommonPosts: 636
    when you find the answer to this, and the meaning of life, fill me in.
  • MiyuuMiyuu Member Posts: 15
    First,  you show her a female dorf dancing, she will be like "awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww" , next day you show her a male dorf  dancing and she will be like "lol" . Then you ask her if she want to try the game out :D

Important is that you do a party with her and keep on joking , dont let her go all on her own .
  • beauxajbeauxaj Member Posts: 245

You might want to have her try CoX.  character creation alone should pull her in.

Also, make sure if you're going to get her into a pvp game that she is eased into it. 

• Squal'ZellSqual'Zell Member Posts: 1,803
    well the thing that pushes my girlfriend away (and most girls) is the fact that in most MMO  game when you start (usually noob area) you have to kill 10 defenceless sometimes very cute,  creatures as your first quest.

then you get a conversation that goes like this

man: ok so after you create your character  my guy will be there wating for you to help you out

girl: ok

man: ok follow me

girl : how?

man:  (5 minute explanation on how to move)

girl :you think im stupid do you... well i havent been playing video games all my life

man: your not stupid its normal to not know the mechanics

girl: ok so what now

man: ok you talk to this guy

girl: like i just click on him?

man : yes

girl: ok i pressed ok what do i do?

girl : k

man ok you have to kill 10 of these

girl: 10 of what?

man: these little cut bunnies

girl: why?

man: cuz its your quest

girl :but i dont want to kill the bunnies!

man but you have to, thats your quest

girl: do i have to do the quest, i dont wanna kill those bunnies

man : ok but you have to kill the bunnies because thats the only thing you can kill untill you reach lvl 3 where you go kill the giant turtles

man: so you can lvl.

ugh,..,, and so on

• montinmontin Member Posts: 218
    Originally posted by Squal'Zell

well the thing that pushes my girlfriend away (and most girls) is the fact that in most MMO  game when you start (usually noob area) you have to kill 10 defenceless sometimes very cute,  creatures as your first quest.

*snip*
    Dude that is just so true and made me laugh. The fact is it takes a rare kind of girl to enjoy mmorpg. Not saying they are strange but I guess maybe you have to be a bit odd to pretend your some type of online character which is in fact nothing more than zeros and ones! Try getting a male non-gamer into playing games. If you can manage that then try it on females. I fully expect you will fail on both counts.

Anyway, the above suggestion of City of Heroes is actually probably a good idea. The character adjustment before you actually play is really good and may well entice her into killing cute little bunnies ;-)
  • pyroxenitepyroxenite Member Posts: 8
    Originally posted by Miyuu

First,  you show her a female dorf dancing, she will be like "awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww" , next day you show her a male dorf  dancing and she will be like "lol" . Then you ask her if she want to try the game out :D

Important is that you do a party with her and keep on joking , dont let her go all on her own .
    I say show the dorf dancing... then show the Light Elf female avatar. Seems girls really like their chars to be "beautiful".  Seems every real girl I know playing has a LE char.
  • neschrianeschria Member UncommonPosts: 1,406

There must be something wrong with me... I am more than willing to go out and kill the defenseless little bunnies, even if my husband doesn't want to come along. Maybe being killed by all the cute little critters when I first started playing UO (back in the stone ages)  hardened me to their cute, furry charms. When you get killed by a kitten, you stop wanting to pet them and start plotting revenge.

I do actually like to put myself in the "pretend to be my character" frame of mind, but I always liked playing the cold-blooded killer types too. Some of my favorite characters in games have been ones that I have played in a "Kill 'em all, let their gods sort them out" way. Gets out my underlying aggressions in a way that lets me appear to be sweet and cheerful the rest of the time. ;)

To the OP, I might recommend introducing your girlfriend to the chattiest people you know in the game. If you've got some friendly people in your clan who will talk about anything, all the time, they might be able to get her into the social aspect, which makes the killing aspect more interesting/tolerable. Also, try to tell her she's doing really well when she's making progress (without being patronizing). You might want to try to get her into a "let's pretend" frame of mind as well. I mean, most of the games are pretty boring if you don't see yourself in the action to some degree. Otherwise, it's just mechanically clicking and pushing buttons to make the character you're controlling on the screen kill and kill and kill ad nauseam to get levels you don't really care about. Take a little time to enjoy the scenery.

I don't know if she's the sort who liked Barbie dolls as a kid, but one of my secret L2 joys was getting a new set of armor every few levels that completely changed my look. I have so many vanity screenshots of my dark elf from newbie fighter to palus knight, through several sets of armor.

I quit L2 recently because I couldn't get anyone IRL to want to play it with me, except my son who works ridiculous hours at his crappy job and only has Internet when he comes here.  

This is where I draw the line: __________________.

• Squal'ZellSqual'Zell Member Posts: 1,803
    my girlfriend got adicted to IMVU instant messaging program... i guess its a start...

• OculitusOculitus Member Posts: 203
    I'd show her all the (female) character models in different outfits.  My girlfriend is more into L2 than I am and a lot of the reason is the look of the female characters.

She might see a race/armor combo and then be motivated to play to acquire the level needed for that outfit.

After that then you can get into the game mechanics, figuring out what classes she likes, etc.

Anyway, that's where I start if I want my girlfriend to take interest in a new MMO.  If she doesn't like the female character's look she won't bother to check the rest of the game info.

Hope that helps.
  • RayanaRayana Member UncommonPosts: 525
    This here...

my girlfriend got adicted to IMVU instant messaging program... i guess its a start...
    ...and exactly the reason mentioned here...

Originally posted by neschria  

To the OP, I might recommend introducing your girlfriend to the chattiest people you know in the game. If you've got some friendly people in your clan who will talk about anything, all the time, they might be able to get her into the social aspect, which makes the killing aspect more interesting/tolerable.

...is why your girlfriend got addicted to IMVU. It's a misconception that girls need barbie doll like stuff in game, don't want to kill bunnies or don't want to PvP. They want to spend their time in a social way, and this includes socializing in MMOs, regardless what the activities are (killing bunnies or PvPing). So for all the guys that want to get their girlfriends playing Lineage (or any other MMO), I recommend following neschria's advice. She's hit the nail on the head

------------------------------------------------

Playing: Final Fantasy Online: ARR, Destiny
    Most memorable games for me: UO, GW1, LoTRO

• PonicoPonico Member UncommonPosts: 650

My ex girlfriend hated MMOs, quoted from her

''MMOS is for people that think that having the best armour is a mark of skills''

However, the games she played.

Unreal Tournament, Quake 3, Return To Castle Wolfesntein, Need for Speed (MP)

She liked to beat the crap of other players and discuss her tactics with me. Since at that time I used to compete on Q3 and RTCW, we had a blast playing together side by side killing noob players on public servers lol.  (It was that or going out drinking with the crew)

Seriously, MMOs are not always made for girls lol. You would be suprise on how some girls prefer to have a shotgun in their hand and a person to Frag.

She played some SWG a bit but only for PVP. The only MMO that she played for more then 2 months was Mankind and EvE.

• cyanncyann Member Posts: 73
    ''MMOS is for people that think that having the best armour is a mark of skills"

Lol, my gears r bigger than your gears,  ask her does size makes any difference, it can b interesting :P
  • TheutusTheutus Member UncommonPosts: 636
    Originally posted by Baggs

Originally posted by Theutus

when you find the answer to this, and the meaning of life, fill me in.
    I think u meant :

When u find the answer to this, what women want, therefore the meaning of life, fill me in.

well the answer to that revision is simple... the meaning of life must be in my pants.

my wallet.

• AshGUTZAshGUTZ Member Posts: 339

I really loved LAII when I played it. Of course, I played on illegal servers and once I got Level 35, the servers were "busted".

In my opinion, since your girlfriend is probably like 89% of our female population. Tell her to try the game, she can be a super awesome L33t elf. Then tell her to make sure she has a user name like "HAWTCHIK, or Dirtygirl, or Sweetgurl", that way she can tons of attention. And make sure to tell her she needs to let it be known every few seconds over chat that she IS female, to make sure she gets all the free items and gold available.

Or, she could actually be a gamer, play the game like everyone else. She might even learn that playing MMORPG's arn't just about getting on and doing shit, it's about entering into a new community and kind of getting a feeling of self-accomplishment when you've done something in-game that you've wanted to do for awhile.

Or look at it my way and figure once you get a decent level you can just go around a kill everyone before they have time to respond.

• ListofListof Member Posts: 155

First off, I just wanna say that you can't make people like things they aren't interested in, regardless of gender. For instance, I hate football and basketball. They're only moderately entertaining to play and completely 100% boring to watch (whether in person or on tv) and I would never enjoy playing a sports video game (why sit on your butt and pretend to play it when you could really be playing it?) No amount of explaining or enticing would ever make me enjoy any of those things. So if she's not an MMO type, then she's not an MMO type.

On the other hand, I 100% agree with what a lot of people have said here. I am almost embarrassed for my gender to admit it, but clothes were what originally made me a gamer. With me, it was a Daggerfall (predecessor to Oblivion) demo my brother got from PCGamer magazine. I played a little bit and realized there were hundreds of different outfits in the game to wear. So I convinced my brother to buy the game and made it my goal to collect every single blouse, skirt, cape, dress, etc. in the game. Of course, along the way I fell in love with RPGs and have truly enjoyed video games ever since. And going along with what others said, the draw of MMOs for me is the community, the friends I make.

I have to admit though, that since I started L2 back in OB, I have "lived" for the clothes. Clothes have been more important to me in the game than almost anything else. Of course I want to be competitive - I'm not going to wear a D-grade set at level 75. But all the way from level 1 up, I selected my sets largely based on the look. And if I didn't like the look for the set I needed, then I bought one set for looks and another for use. Rind Leather, Doom Robes, Nightmare Robes, Avadon Robes... <3 them all! I've got 10 gigs of L2 pics on my computer. Different angles, different times of day, different locations, etc.

And yes, I even picked my first character based solely on looks. The LEs were so pretty... I still refuse to play anything but a LE for a main, even if they are gimped half the time.

~sigh~ I'm done sounding like a ditzy girl for now. Despite the fact that I'm somewhat obsessed with looks, I am a competitive player. I've been in one of the most pvp-oriented clans on the server for most of my L2 career. For a long time I was able to be a 'hardcore' player, playing 35+ hours a week (then I had to get a job. image) So I'm still a good player, I still enjoy the game for other reasons. It's just a big bonus that my character is pretty! image

• ronan32ronan32 Member Posts: 1,418
    Originally posted by Dessano

So basivly she never played anything before, well she tryed WoW and she didnt like it. Then she tryed Guildwars and didnt like it ever.
    The thing is that its not the games that she dont like but the she didnt get it :-) i mean she find it boring.
    if she does'nt like wow i doubt she will like lineage..i mean the first thing she will say is, why am i killing the same monsters over and over and over and over again..this is boring, lineage2 is boring....oh you get a level after killing all those monsters and then you do the same thing all over again....lineage2 is only fun if you get to max lvl, the rest of the game is boring as hell and a waste of a life.
  • nakumanakuma Member UncommonPosts: 1,310

man: ok so after you create your character  my guy will be there wating for you to help you out

girl :you think im stupid do you... well i havent been playing video games all my life

man : ok but you have to kill the bunnies because thats the only thing you can kill untill you reach lvl 3 where you go kill the giant turtles

ugh,..,, and so on
    laughed my ass off at that. awesome bro

3.4ghz Phenom II X4 965, 8GB PC12800 DDR3 GSKILL, EVGA 560GTX 2GB OC, 640GB HD SATA II, BFG 1000WATT PSU. MSI NF980-G65 TRI-SLI MOBO.

• nakumanakuma Member UncommonPosts: 1,310
    Originally posted by Listof

First off, I just wanna say that you can't make people like things they aren't interested in, regardless of gender. For instance, I hate football and basketball. They're only moderately entertaining to play and completely 100% boring to watch (whether in person or on tv) and I would never enjoy playing a sports video game (why sit on your butt and pretend to play it when you could really be playing it?) No amount of explaining or enticing would ever make me enjoy any of those things. So if she's not an MMO type, then she's not an MMO type.
    On the other hand, I 100% agree with what a lot of people have said here. I am almost embarrassed for my gender to admit it, but clothes were what originally made me a gamer. With me, it was a Daggerfall (predecessor to Oblivion) demo my brother got from PCGamer magazine. I played a little bit and realized there were hundreds of different outfits in the game to wear. So I convinced my brother to buy the game and made it my goal to collect every single blouse, skirt, cape, dress, etc. in the game. Of course, along the way I fell in love with RPGs and have truly enjoyed video games ever since. And going along with what others said, the draw of MMOs for me is the community, the friends I make.
    I have to admit though, that since I started L2 back in OB, I have "lived" for the clothes. Clothes have been more important to me in the game than almost anything else. Of course I want to be competitive - I'm not going to wear a D-grade set at level 75. But all the way from level 1 up, I selected my sets largely based on the look. And if I didn't like the look for the set I needed, then I bought one set for looks and another for use. Rind Leather, Doom Robes, Nightmare Robes, Avadon Robes... <3 them all! I've got 10 gigs of L2 pics on my computer. Different angles, different times of day, different locations, etc.
    And yes, I even picked my first character based solely on looks. The LEs were so pretty... I still refuse to play anything but a LE for a main, even if they are gimped half the time.
    ~sigh~ I'm done sounding like a ditzy girl for now. Despite the fact that I'm somewhat obsessed with looks, I am a competitive player. I've been in one of the most pvp-oriented clans on the server for most of my L2 career. For a long time I was able to be a 'hardcore' player, playing 35+ hours a week (then I had to get a job. ) So I'm still a good player, I still enjoy the game for other reasons. It's just a big bonus that my character is pretty!

we need more women like you enough said.  if more women played video games, couples would have more ways to interact, and communicate.

3.4ghz Phenom II X4 965, 8GB PC12800 DDR3 GSKILL, EVGA 560GTX 2GB OC, 640GB HD SATA II, BFG 1000WATT PSU. MSI NF980-G65 TRI-SLI MOBO.

• shaeshae Member Posts: 2,509

How do you "make" your girlfriend play L2?

Easy...

You don't.

Hopefully your girlfriend has a brain of her own and hopefully she at least has the bare minimum of interest in using it independently, this allows her to have free thought and a natural self interest do things that make her happy and complete as a person. You "making" her do anything that is not at all enjoyable to her will not add to her quality of life nor will it make her happy.

Now, if you want to see whether L2 is a game which she would enjoy in hopes of getting her into a game you can both play together, best suggestion is... Be nice about it. Don't treat her like an idiot (read a few posts above for examples), get her a trial account and set her up she can explore and move through the world on her own. If she likes it and finds a natural interest in the game, so be it. Otherwise, suck it up and stop worrying about what YOU want and make figure out what she's looking for.

• Jo-GamerJo-Gamer Member Posts: 120
    Originally posted by shae

How do you "make" your girlfriend play L2?
    Easy...
    You don't.
    Hopefully your girlfriend has a brain of her own and hopefully she at least has the bare minimum of interest in using it independently, this allows her to have free thought and a natural self interest do things that make her happy and complete as a person. You "making" her do anything that is not at all enjoyable to her will not add to her quality of life nor will it make her happy.
    Now, if you want to see whether L2 is a game which she would enjoy in hopes of getting her into a game you can both play together, best suggestion is... Be nice about it. Don't treat her like an idiot (read a few posts above for examples), get her a trial account and set her up she can explore and move through the world on her own. If she likes it and finds a natural interest in the game, so be it. Otherwise, suck it up and stop worrying about what YOU want and make figure out what she's looking for.

Well said, I couldn't agree more. 

• alyndalealyndale Member UncommonPosts: 936

Originally posted by Dessano

/bows skeptically,

My friend you cannot make someone do something they do not want to do.  Possible this is a language thing..not sure...but Lineage 2 may not be something she wants to spend 5 to 8 hours each day doing.

Why not take her out to a very nice dinner, candle light..intellengent conversation, a wonderful movie...

There are quite a few things you can do with her rather than play a very, very slow and demanding PvP game...

Try some romance, my friend, women do respond so much better to that, than pawnage...don't you think?

All I want is the truth
    Just gimme some truth
    John Lennon

• devacoredevacore Member UncommonPosts: 340

I personally think it's not worth your time.  If she is not interested in the things you enjoy either find someone more aligned or enjoy the differences. 

• RenithRenith Member Posts: 145

Lawl I don't see why you wanna make ur GF play a game anyway . I only play games when I don't have a gf and at times when i do have one the last thing i care about is games, cause then we got other more interesting stuff to do. If she does'nt like games, don't make her wanna like them.

• AethiosAethios Member Posts: 1,527

Originally posted by AshGUTZ
    In my opinion, since your girlfriend is probably like 89% of our female population. Tell her to try the game, she can be a super awesome L33t elf. Then tell her to make sure she has a user name like "HAWTCHIK, or Dirtygirl, or Sweetgurl", that way she can tons of attention. And make sure to tell her she needs to let it be known every few seconds over chat that she IS female, to make sure she gets all the free items and gold available.

When you said "female population," was that a typo? I'm pretty sure you meant to say "14 year old prepubescent male population." I have seen some real girls who act this way, but they are by no means 89% of the female population... at least not in any of the games I've played.

• TaeraTaera Community ManagerMember CommonPosts: 1,078

ugh,..,, and so on

Think, some about upbringing.  Little girls are dressed in pink, they are given barbies to play with, and they watch disney princess movies.  Little boys are sent to baseball little leagues, given toy trucks, and watch transformers.  I don't think it has anything to do with gender - it has to do with upbring.

When I was little, I played with toy animals, my room was white and blue.  I never played with barbies, and I often played pirates or bandits with my friends.  I won't say I was a tomboy, but I think I was given a fairly ambiguous direction to decide my own likes and dislikes.  This shows both in my online behavior, where I enjoy killing more than dressup, and in my offline, where I go shopping for 10 minutes a month (absolute maximum).

Little girls are often encouraged to be social and nonviolent - when girls get in fights, its whispering behind backs, not kicking someone in the backside.  I don't think that females have a natural aversion to violence, I think it's taught.

Marketing also plays a part in this - more women are coming into gaming as its passed around by word of mouth, but I don't think ads and commercials really have as much of an effect on the female population as social approval of a product or activity.

Laura "Taera" Genender
    Community Manager
    MMORPG.com