Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WoW reaches 9 million

2»

Comments

• davidw123davidw123 Member Posts: 70

Actually, thinking about it, I'd say the real idiots are these people who can't even stand the game yet still keep coming here to post messages about it. We "fanboys" (love that phrase by the way) are here because we like the game; what's your excuse? So little going on in your lives that you have to obsess about a game you don't even play?

• davidw123davidw123 Member Posts: 70

Originally posted by Kyleran

Interesting news... but you know...unlike previous press releases, they didn't break it down by region... i.e. 1.5 million US, 2.5 million EU and 5 million Asia....
    I think sub numbers are declining here in the US..... not that they much care I suppose....  I'm guessing most of the recent growth has been outside of the US....especially since they chose to not break it down....

Yes, it's a conspiracy

• nomadiannomadian Member Posts: 3,490

hmm 9m means they're still gaining more new players over players leaving. Although the question is what area is gaining the biggest injections of new players.

• ThriftThrift Member Posts: 1,783
    Originally posted by elondor

people pick on the person on top, in this case it's blizzard and their hit product wow.  why? it's easy to pick on the person on top.  it's common knowledge and has repeated itself throughout history, because humans are stupid and don't learn from mistakes. 

people need to get over this "this game is too easy" mentality, because if you don't you are in for quite a surprise, because the following generation of games are only going to build upon that ease of playing, why? because the vast majority of players want it... hence the 9 million players.. or "bots" as you die hard haters want to call them. 

This is actually so true, many new MMO try to be different and as you can see its not working. WoW is nice and simple, many people seem to hate that here but the number cant lie people love simple.

• RecantRecant Member UncommonPosts: 1,586

It's amazing how many people will go to great lengths to play down news like this.  With an attitude like that, you could criticize any MMO, far more effectively than WoW.  

At some point in your bitter lives, you'll realize it's OK to enjoy things once in a while.

Are all my smiles getting in the hate generation's way? Do excuse me.

Still waiting for your Holy Grail MMORPG? Interesting...

• PhosPhos Member Posts: 455

I saw somewhere that Perfect World has 30mil subscribers (granted, most are probably in China and most don't pay to play. But still... 30mil is nothing to scoff at!)

- Phos

imageAAH! A troll fire! Quick, pour some Kool-Aid on it!!!

• DawgrumDawgrum Member Posts: 82

It's so funny to see so many of you scoff at people that dare put WoW in a negative light.  Yet I see so many of these same posters head over to the Vanguard forums and sh!t all over anyone who enjoys it.  Before any of you start.. I don't play Vanguard, I play Everquest 2. I don't have anything against WoW, I enjoyed that game when I played.  The hypocrisy around these forums just baffles me sometimes.

• JosherJosher Member Posts: 2,818

A negative light is one thing.  Rationalizing how an incredibly positive thing is BAD makes you a bit ignorant.  Criticising 9 million subscribers is just stupid.  Its like walking into a 5 month waiting list, 5 star resturant and telling the head Chef, "your food sucks because I think its too expensive".  You think he cares?  All that matters is he got that 5 star review for doing something right and if people are willing to pay whatever he charges, who the heck are YOU to tell him his food sucks.   Your opinion doesn't matter.  Its the actual customers and critics who enjoy the food who matter and since you're not one of them, you mean nothing.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

Originally posted by Josher

A negative light is one thing.  Rationalizing how an incredibly positive thing is BAD makes you a bit ignorant.  Criticising 9 million subscribers is just stupid.  Its like walking into a 5 month waiting list, 5 star resturant and telling the head Chef, "your food sucks because I think its too expensive".  You think he cares?  All that matters is he got that 5 star review for doing something right and if people are willing to pay whatever he charges, who the heck are YOU to tell him his food sucks.   Your opinion doesn't matter.  Its the actual customers and critics who enjoy the food who matter and since you're not one of them, you mean nothing.
    and yet...if our criticism prevents even one player from making the mistake of playing WOW... it will all have been worth it....

Empires crumble, one brick at a time   

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• SmackrSmackr Member Posts: 56
    Originally posted by Phos

I saw somewhere that Perfect World has 30mil subscribers (granted, most are probably in China and most don't pay to play. But still... 30mil is nothing to scoff at!)
    - Phos

Yeah I also read it Oo I know WOW is popular but ch&%$e over 3 times more player than WOW! They sure love MMo in asia

• FahrenheitTHFahrenheitTH Member Posts: 130

All these rogue WoW "haters", so so they call them are merely children. Ok, WoW may not be the game for you, but it but you simply cannot that WoW isn't at all a good game. Only a VERY SMALL percentage off these "haters" have a VALID reason. The others are merely pointless remarks made by whiny brats.

Most people hate Wow just becuase:-

-Their parents won't pay for the subsciption, so they get really mad, and start going against it.

-They're not good at the game, so it automatically sucks to them

-It just isn't the game for them, so it isn't the game for anyone

-They just can't stand that the game is successful, still is, and still will be.

All of these above are true, and stupid remarks.

Alright, so you may hate this game, but there are people who love it. It's wasting time to go in to a WOW FORUM and start all this mindless drama, without any valid thoughts.

• DethlyBladeZDethlyBladeZ Member Posts: 106

It is the most popular game out now.. but not the best.

• CreamSodaCreamSoda Member Posts: 86

Originally posted by Thrift

Yup, seems this game is no where near losing players like most of you here think ...

The World of Warcraft subscriber base has continued to grow this year as new and returning players have signed up to explore Azeroth and check out all of the content added with the Burning Crusade expansion. Worldwide, the game's community now numbers more than 9 million subscribers. In the midst of preparations for BlizzCon and the upcoming launch of the expansion in mainland China, we wanted to take a moment to share the news and thank everyone for continuing to support the game.

I don't care how many players WoW has and what a mile stone it has been for the MMO market.  Any game that makes that much money and has such low content release is extremely cheap.  I've seen many MMOs with under 100k populations update more content on a monthly basis than Blizzard has done in a year. 

They don't spend enough on new stuff, it makes me and some others feel like they don't care. Yeah, boo hoo right? This game accels in making cash but fails in a lot of other areas (except marketing).  When people have all signed up for your game and your making money out the ass (don't give me that server maintenance bs) you owe it to the people who started you off and kept you going a lot more than rep grinds and pathetic ass raids.  Someone has already pointed out though that Blizzard is now in a mold from which they can not break out and I think it's true. 

Let Azeroth rot!

• Thor_LeifsonThor_Leifson Member Posts: 85

Originally posted by Celestian

Eventually even they will realize how shallow and uninspiring WoW is.

I have to strongly disagree with that characterization. Listen, I'm no major proponent of WoW or Blizzard over any other MMO and game company out there, but when a game "does it right" I've got to give credit where credit is due. As another user on these forums said, the game is "polished." No, it's not some sort of hardcore PvP-fest like DAoC (hallowed be thy name), but it appeals to a wide audience because of its simplicity of play, light graphical load, pacing, and a host of other refined details.

No, WoW isn't some perfect holy grail of gaming, but its appeal is based in solid programming, comfortable usability, and enjoyable simplicity. You may not like the game, but it's anything but "shallow" and "uninspiring."