Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

America is $7 trillion in debt!

Sir-SvenSir-Sven Member Posts: 773

That means that every citizen could pay $24,000.00 to get rid of the debt. Not that we will have to but that's crazy. That must be how much it costs to run the most powerful country in the world......? I'm not concerned, I was just interested. Tell me what you think of our national debt.
Click this link.
Here is a graph of the national debt.

サ ー ス ベ ン

Comments

• FinweFinwe Member CommonPosts: 3,106

Its not because its a powerful nation (which i've known about the debt) its because its a welfare infested police the world nation. It just wastes money. Simple and plain. It could remove the income tax system and get out of debt. Why? Well. Lets see. You only have trade treaties with other nations, you dont have any allies really, you become like the swiss and become a neutral type government, and only would fight in a hitler type situation. You pull all your armies out of the other countries of the world. You cut the military in about half.

Remove any type of welfare system. Cut the government about 100 times over down. And give the power back to the states.

Sure sure, sounds extremist. But look at the constitution.

"The greatest trick the devil played on humanity in the 20th century was convincing them that he didnt exist." (Paraphrasing) C.S. Lewis

"The greatest trick the devil played on humanity in the 20th century was convincing them that he didn't exist." (Paraphrasing) C.S. Lewis

"If a mother can kill her own child, what is left before I kill you and you kill me?" -Mother Teresa when talking about abortion after accepting the Nobel Peace Prize in 1979

• methane47methane47 Member CommonPosts: 3,701
    Actually the reason behind this is a kind of Economy thing... Being in debt is kinda like having security... Too lazy to explain now.. But basically every country in the world is in Debt.... Any Flourishing country that is NOT in debt... Is kind of a threat... Debt is like the world's security blanket.. We hold on to it for dear life.... carry it every where... and sleep with it too... That is until we grow up... So what does that say about the world?

Click Here --->Just one of those days<--- Click Here
    What's your Wu Name?
    Donovan --> Wu Name = Violent Knight
    Methane47 --> Wu Name = Thunderous Leader
    "Some people call me the walking plank, 'cuz any where you go... Death is right behind you.."
    <i>ME<i>

What's your Wu Name?
    Donovan --> Wu Name = Violent Knight
    Methane47 --> Wu Name = Thunderous Leader
    "Some people call me the walking plank, 'cuz any where you go... Death is right behind you.."
    <i>ME<i>

• SketchSketch Member UncommonPosts: 337

Also important to keep in mind that all the other conties that continually pump money to the US do so as a means of buying protection. It's thier security blanket so to speak. In return the US Military recieves insane amounts of grants to found projects for weapons development. Theres a very good reason the US is the #1 military super power in the world, and it's an expensive one. So it's kinda of like a catch 22. The only way to work off the debt is by cutting money to the military, but the fear there is it may result in fewer countries willing to provide extra funding. So the cycle continues. It's also why military budgeting is always on the priority list. But it's also an important part of the grander scale of global economics. Ever country plays a roll, and as long as we Canuks keep making maple syrup, and hockey sticks, we will have our part in it to.

oh and btw, on behalf of myself and my fellow Canadian constituants, We apologize for subjecting you to Ciline Dion.... image 

• numaticnumatic Member UncommonPosts: 670
    This country has been in debt for 100 years. How is this news image

• digitydarkmandigitydarkman Member Posts: 2,194

Originally posted by numatic
    This country has been in debt for 100 years. How is this news image

true whats new there will ALWAYS be a debt, it would be damn near impossible to get rid of it

• herculeshercules Member UncommonPosts: 4,924

Debt is part of life lol.

I remember been without a single debt for like 3 months and i went wow i have no debt!Did not feel right at all.Now i own more then i did before i went eating baked beans to clear my debt then and seems normal to meimage

• GalootGaloot Member Posts: 177

"That means that every citizen could pay $24,000.00 to get rid of the debt"

But will not have to. As in the past when the economy heats up, tax revenues increase and the debt shrinks at breakneck speed.

In the 90's, the elites were trying to be optimistic ( cough cough) in saying that the debt could be payed off in 9 to 11 years. In reality it happened in just a few.

• Clever_GloveClever_Glove Member Posts: 996

What percent of that is GDP? Don't know? Less than 4%.

Why is that a important fact to know. Image you make 1000 a month. You have a 40 dollar dept at your favorite bar for a night out.

Will you go bankupt paying back that 40 dollars?

Of course not, it would be dumb to think so. It doesn't matter how big a integer the dept is, it matters what percent of your total income it is.

It could be paid off tommorow if the goverment was interested in it. But it's not, below is why.

Next question

Where is the dept? Don't know? It's in U.S. Treasury bonds, when you buy a bond you are making the goverment a loan, for the length of the bond.

Do you really want the US goverment to payoff all those grandmothers that investing in the US goverment prematerally just to make a number look small so you can feel good about yourself?

The US likes people investing in it, it's good a couple reasons. (even if I wouldn't recemend it) There will always be a deficit as result.

-=-=-=-=-
    "We're a game that's focused on grouping and on solo play, you know, more group oriented, more solo play..."
    John Blakely Senior lead for EQ2. Link

Bartle: A: 93% E: 55% S:3% K: 50% The Test. Learn what it means here.

-=-=-=-=-
    Achievers realise that killers as a concept are necessary in order to make achievement meaningful and worthwhile (there being no way to "lose" the game if any fool can "win" just by plodding slowly unchallenged). -bartle

Bartle: A: 93% E: 55% S:3% K: 50% The Test. Learn what it means here.

• DjinDjin Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,263

War I say... war!

I believe with Bush Jr. as President, this country has gone more into debt.  With this un-needed war, there's been over 1.9 million jobs lost!

I forget, I think I was listening to WPMR radio [nation wide] and they where talking about how Bush has made the world hate The United States almost 10 fold since all this has happen... not only that, since Bush has be "playing" President, our gas prices here in Connecticut have raised to $2.20 a gallon!  Yes, $2.20! [That's 4 quarts for people who use the metric system].

Where's Clinton when we need him?!  I believe it's good to have a republican every once in a while, but what have they done for us?  Raised taxes, gone to war [both Bush's have], etc...  This country is a democratic party, always, always will be.

So the $7,000,000,000,000 in debt... we'll just tell the other countries to forget about it our we'll nuke them... seems like we've been doing that a lot now-a-days.  image

What will he do next?

"I believe with Bush Jr. as President, this country has gone more into debt"

As was needed. The military was underfunded and a good chunk of the debt was a result of 9-11 security expenditures.

" With this un-needed war, there's been over 1.9 million jobs lost!"

Yes 9-11 was un-needed but we have to deal with it. Now go see how many new jobs have been created. (bet you haven't heard) Secondly, the dot com bubble burst and the stock market was already on the decline before the election even took place. Look back and see for yourself.

"I forget, I think I was listening to WPMR radio [nation wide] and they where talking about how Bush has made the world hate The United States almost 10 fold since all this has happen"

Perhaps you are too young to remember the hatred spewed toward Ronald Reagan in the 80's. I can tell you that this is nothing new.

"since Bush has be "playing" President, our gas prices here in Connecticut have raised to $2.20 a gallon!"

Yes he sets prices doesn't he? Did you notice the prices coming back down? He must have lowered them eh?

"Where's Clinton when we need him?!"

Where he should be, out of office. We need grown ups right now.

"but what have they done for us? Raised taxes,"

Nope lowered them.

" gone to war [both Bush's have], etc... "

If you don't know why I'll let that speak for itself.

• MunkiMunki Member CommonPosts: 2,128

"I believe with Bush Jr. as President, this country has gone more into debt"

As was needed. The military was underfunded and a good chunk of the debt was a result of 9-11 security expenditures.

Last I checked, and Id love to show you the graph, that Bush Sr. has the US in a tiny surplus.
    Clinton brough it back up to a multi billion dollar surplus. then bush brought it down the a multi TRILLION doller deficite. If the USA was a business Bush would have been fired for that.

"I forget, I think I was listening to WPMR radio [nation wide] and they where talking about how Bush has made the world hate The United States almost 10 fold since all this has happen"

Perhaps you are too young to remember the hatred spewed toward Ronald Reagan in the 80's. I can tell you that this is nothing new.

Neither is good, Clinton and other such presidents smoothed the fire, and Bush just pissed everyone off again, But Bush I think is better at it.
    Also, this is a bad response because, If sombody else does somthing stupid, does that give you (or Bush) the excuse to do the same thing.

"Where's Clinton when we need him?!"

Where he should be, out of office. We need grown ups right now.
    Im getting the impression that you dont like Clinton, hate to breka it to you, but hes a lot better than bush lol.

" gone to war [both Bush's have], etc... "

If you don't know why I'll let that speak for itself.

There is no comback to this, the Bush family is corrupt and war mongering, on the international view, they are bothed looked down apon. And Bush Jr is hated by many Nations.
    I know if Canada, Bush is a joke, he doesnt give a damn about any other Nation.
    He believed a news reporter when he was told our PRESIDENT was John Poutine...
    he even repeated it back and gave his thanks to John Poutine.

What a bumbling Idoit, he makes it as president, and he doesnt even know the Priminister of Canadas name?

Quite frankly, as far as im concerned, the soon Bush is gone the better.

after 6 or so years, I had to change it a little...

"Clinton brough it back up to a multi billion dollar surplus."

That was on the decline in the late 90's after the dot com bust. The stock market was starting to tank and layoffs started to occur. And BTW, the surplus didn't really start climbing till after the 94 elections and the "Contract With America" was enacted. Now what I didn't say before was that is was clinton that said it would take 9 to 11 years to balance the budget but the GOP with the backing of the public that got it done within just a few years.

"then bush brought it down the a multi TRILLION doller deficite"

And due to the aforementioned along with 9-11 that should not be a surprise. The good news is that it is already dropping despite the hand wringing from the left.

"Neither is good, Clinton and other such presidents smoothed the fire"

Except for the protests in Europe.

"Bush just pissed everyone off again,"

Good they had it coming. Works both ways doesn't it?

"hate to breka it to you, but hes a lot better than bush lol. "

Well then I hate to break this to you. What you think of our president means exactly -->0<-- to me.

"the Bush family is corrupt "

Prove it.

"on the international view, they are bothed looked down apon"

Don't even get me started on the wimps and despots of the world.

"And Bush Jr is hated by many Nations."

Yeah like France. Then that begs the question....so what?

"I know if Canada, Bush is a joke, he doesnt give a damn about any other Nation."

Yeah especially Afghanistan and Iraq. Everyone else was so worried about them that they all rushed in to help them. Just think, Bush always yammers on about human rights and how people should be free and all he did was sit on his hands and complain endlessly. THE NERVE!!!! 50 million people freed and all he could do was sit back and nip at everyone's heels like a little French Poodle.

"What a bumbling Idoit, he makes it as president, and he doesnt even know the Priminister of Canadas name?"

Yeah I'd be upset if I were you too. That just means that he knew all the important leaders. I really feel sorry for Cretin too. That must have been a real blow to his overgrown ego. Don't you just hate when that happens?

• MagmaMayhemMagmaMayhem Member Posts: 47

Jeez, and I thought it was bad when I heard that Canada's debt is almost a trillion image

Anyone heard of that quote 'all power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutly'? Technically you could apply that to the US. They are the only superpower in the world, and they have a lot of power and influence. See where I am getting at? No one should be surprised about the actions and history of the US, it jus comes naturally when one has lots of power. And since now they have 'absolute power', their acitons are only gonna get worse.

---------------------------------------------
    No right-minded fool forsakes truth for falsehood

• XaldorXaldor Member Posts: 236

USA under Dubya:

1) Highest recorded gas prices in the history of the U.S....and no Bush does not set gas prices, the gas future traders do, and with unrest in the middle-east, gas prices have shot up thru the roof.  So indirectly he did set gas prices....By the way Cheney was the CEO of Halliburton, a major oil company, which has gotten most of the lucrative contracts in Iraq.  Bush also tried his hand at the oil business, but failed miserably, sold his own shares in his company just prior to it going under.

2) First time ever the U.S launched a pre-emptive attack on a sovereign nation, based on the bogus information about the dangers of said country's WMD's...then tried to spin the occupation of Iraq into the freeing of a nation.

3) Highest deficit of any country, at any time, in the history of mankind

4) Fooled American public into believing that Iraq had something to do with the World Trade Center catastrophy.  In one TIME/CNN poll, 70% of  americans believed that there was a direct link between Saddam Hussein  and the WTC bombings

5) Outed a former CIA agent because the agents husband spoke out against the warfare tactics being used by the Bush administration

6) Still has not "Brought to justice" Osama Bin Laden, but hey we got Saddam so it's all good.

7) Has done absolutely nothing about border control between Mexico and the U.S., because the republicans are trying to appease to the latin vote.   So in theory all a terrorist has to do is set uop shop in Mexico, cross the border, and blow up an airport.

There are plenty more, but I'm getting depressed now, so I'll leave it at that...for now...Xaldorimage

• TaskyZZTaskyZZ Member Posts: 1,476

Damn, all of that and still better than it would have been under Gore...

Yeah jeez, too bad the USSR didn't win the cold war. We could have that workers paradise that they always spoke of. The same one that allowed people to stand in line for hours to get a loaf of bread.( Or today wait 3 months for an MRI) I would have been honored. Or maybe even if Nazi Germany would have won. Now that would be a hoot.

I guess one could always go to Castro's Cuba for a taste of the good old days. Oh the memories...

Just so you know I am neither a Democrat, nor a republican...I am an Independent, and I happened to vote for BUSH!!!  It's funny how you rebutt my points by resorting to the old "move to Russia you commie" response

• MagmaMayhemMagmaMayhem Member Posts: 47

Oh hush up! I know that its better than having the USSR win. But the US is doing many practices medically that ain't too far off from nazism.

• DjinDjin Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,263
    Galoot, are you a republican?

Just wondering... [stupid bold is stuck on for some reason...]

There's a lot this country can do to make it a better place... we just need a good President and not some crazy war loving fool...

Both Bush's are ass's to me... that's what I think.

What will he do next?

"By the way Cheney was the CEO of Halliburton, a major oil company"

Ummm...no. It owned no oil. It was a service company and a highly specialized one at that. Halliburton even did government contracts with the clinton administration.

"2) First time ever the U.S launched a pre-emptive attack on a sovereign nation, "

Clinton 12/16/98

PRESIDENT CLINTON: Good evening.

Earlier today, I ordered America's armed forces to strike military and security targets in Iraq. They are joined by British forces. Their mission is to attack Iraq's nuclear, chemical and biological weapons programs and its military capacity to threaten its neighbors.

Their purpose is to protect the national interest of the United States, and indeed the interests of people throughout the Middle East and around the world.

Saddam Hussein must not be allowed to threaten his neighbors or the world with nuclear arms, poison gas or biological weapons.

~snip~

"then tried to spin the occupation of Iraq into the freeing of a nation"

Just in case you weren't paying attention that was one of the stated goals in the first place.

"3) Highest deficit of any country, at any time, in the history of mankind"

About 4% of the budget. We also have the largest economy in the history of humaaaa....er personkind. We at one time spent 25% of our budget on military alone.

"4) Fooled American public into believing that Iraq had something to do with the World Trade Center catastrophy."

Just you because you repeat that assertion doesn't make it true. Now you get to show where he said it was... (not going to hold my breath)

"7) Has done absolutely nothing about border control between Mexico and the U.S., because the republicans are trying to appease to the latin vote. So in theory all a terrorist has to do is set uop shop in Mexico, cross the border, and blow up an airport."

Yeah I see your point. Where is the bill from congressional democrats to do just that? After all, the president doesn't make law.

Originally posted by Galoot

"By the way Cheney was the CEO of Halliburton, a major oil company"
    Ummm...no. It owned no oil. It was a service company and a highly specialized one at that. Halliburton even did government contracts with the clinton administration.
    "2) First time ever the U.S launched a pre-emptive attack on a sovereign nation, "
    Clinton 12/16/98

PRESIDENT CLINTON: Good evening.
    Earlier today, I ordered America's armed forces to strike military and security targets in Iraq. They are joined by British forces. Their mission is to attack Iraq's nuclear, chemical and biological weapons programs and its military capacity to threaten its neighbors.
    Their purpose is to protect the national interest of the United States, and indeed the interests of people throughout the Middle East and around the world.
    Saddam Hussein must not be allowed to threaten his neighbors or the world with nuclear arms, poison gas or biological weapons.
    ~snip~

"then tried to spin the occupation of Iraq into the freeing of a nation"
    Just in case you weren't paying attention that was one of the stated goals in the first place.
    "3) Highest deficit of any country, at any time, in the history of mankind"
    About 4% of the budget. We also have the largest economy in the history of humaaaa....er personkind. We at one time spent 25% of our budget on military alone.
    "4) Fooled American public into believing that Iraq had something to do with the World Trade Center catastrophy."
    Just you because you repeat that assertion doesn't make it true. Now you get to show where he said it was... (not going to hold my breath)

"7) Has done absolutely nothing about border control between Mexico and the U.S., because the republicans are trying to appease to the latin vote. So in theory all a terrorist has to do is set uop shop in Mexico, cross the border, and blow up an airport."
    Yeah I see your point. Where is the bill from congressional democrats to do just that? After all, the president doesn't make law.

He said there was a direct link between Sadamm and Al Qaeda i The GOD DAMN STATE OF THE UNINON SPEECH IN 01 or 02.

Also lobbing missles at IRAQ, and invading and occupying IRAQ are 2 completely different things...also the cost for our occupation is about 1 billion dollars a month...that's billion with a B.

"Galoot, are you a republican?"

Nope. But I've voted repub.demo and third party. I know BS when I see it and the currant crop of demos are trash pure and simple. (with a few exceptions) We are at war and have been. I grew up watching the Viet Nam war. I saw what happened then and I see the same type of lowlifes doing the same things now.

---> I <--- will never ever let people do those kinds of things to our sons and daughters again without speaking up LOUD AND CLEAR.

Right now even though i DO NOT agree with GWB an many things, first things first and that means winning the war. SCREW POLITICS

Kerry has proven a number of times in a number of ways the he is not fit to live in the White House. That is a fact not an opinion.

"He said there was a direct link between Sadamm and Al Qaeda i The GOD DAMN STATE OF THE UNINON SPEECH IN 01 or 02."

And there is. As there has been for the better part of ten years. That is a fact! What he DIDN'T say was that Saddam was ivolved in 9-11.

"Also lobbing missles at IRAQ, and invading and occupying IRAQ are 2 completely different things...also the cost for our occupation is about 1 billion dollars a month...that's billion with a B."

But still pre-emptive none the less.

Originally posted by Galoot

And there is. As there has been for the better part of ten years. That is a fact! What he DIDN'T say was that Saddam was ivolved in 9-11.

Your spinning of this subject is superb...you should send a resume to Carl Rove.  Also saying that there is a direct link between Al Qaeda and Saddam implies that Iraq was involved with 9-11...that is the nature of spin, and why the majority of U.S. citizens beleived this as fact...Xaldorimage

"Your spinning of this subject is superb..."

I would say that you have laid out a better example. See contacts and support vs operations.