Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why GW over EQ2 and WoW

Comments

• Bobjones1303Bobjones1303 Member Posts: 680
    The pictures they give when you actually look up the race on everquest2.com, (where it shows all the stats and history) the pictures they give you there look HORIBLE!!!!!  They make all the races look very short, and it really does look bland and boreing.  If your refering to that i agree with you.  There are normal pictures on the site and other sites that really show what the races will actually look like, and they look awsome.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    -EQ1 character:Grotub, shaman of the Tribunal server

• shadojoshadojo Member Posts: 15
    I like the way a lot of them look but i hate the waythey did High elves and a few others on the shots..but thats mostly what ive been refering to is what they show us...hence when i said from what Ive seen. And if i'm going to pay monthly for a game AFTER i pay for the game itself then it better be all around good with every detail. Also for GW they've targetted for buyers compatability for dial up players b/c no dial up player is gonna play most mmorpgs out there

• KartelKartel Member Posts: 241

Originally posted by Bobjones1303
    Does this character look crap to you?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Yes, actually. Everything in EQ2 looks like plastic "army men", like they're just trying too hard. And because they're trying so hard, they get something inferior from it and for insane system req compared to GW. GW has easily half the req (or less), and much more pleasing graphics. Granted, "pleasing" is purely a matter of opinion. But there's mine.

As for hosting costs, keep in mind also that GW uses only a fraction of the bandwidth of something like EQ (something in the area of 1/10 bandwidth). Not to say it won't still get expensive, just not nearly as much so.

• geneticlonegeneticlone Member Posts: 7

Originally posted by tu_uilwen

I posted one of these in the EQ2 boards and someone had already done it is the WoW boards but i want to hear it from the GW fans here in the boards on why GW over the EQ2 and WoW
    Please post

Uilwen

Well if you beta tested this game! image You would consider this a stupid question. First of all the world is awsome: its large, beautiful, and its completly lag free. The characters, the ones i only saw so far are cool, did I mention you can take off their clothes lol. The battles and spells are also really cool. Ounce you get used to a rythem you can get really good with them. For example my favorite were the phoenix and the fireball. This game is addicting should I say in a good manner. It is one of the most attracting and fun games that I have ever played, and to add it all together the basic package will be released for free and the game has no monthly fees. Also as I read there will be patches and if this game turns out to be on MAC also I am going to buy the patches image.

• tu_uilwentu_uilwen Member Posts: 794

My problem with guildwars...... well what is everyone's problem with guildwars if they choose to play another game?  All i stated was that free mmorpgs don't really end up that well.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Actually bobjones look at it like this.......

Ok they have all the money they have right now to make the game......

they they will sell alot of copies due to No monthly fees.......and make another few hundred thousand to a few mill from the game...and any other games they will do...so they will have all that money......

and since they have instanced zone that mean they use less memory and stuff to run it which mean servers for them will cost less money....

so they will ahve plenty of money for patches, expansions, ETC......

Uilwen
    Waiting for
    Everquest 2
    World of warcraft
    Half-life 2
    Guild wars

Currently playing
    Everquest...45 wood elf Ranger
    DAoC.....26 Paladin *albion*

---------------------------------------------
    WoW
    -Rhalon 85 B.E. rogue
    -Rhalon 81 UD Mage
    -Doneski 85 Orc death knight

"Everyones life has a beginning and an end, No one can change that."-Hiko
    "If you wish to taste the ground, then feel free to attack."-Kenshin Himura

Originally posted by Kartel

Does this character look crap to you?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Yes, actually. Everything in EQ2 looks like plastic "army men", like they're just trying too hard. And because they're trying so hard, they get something inferior from it and for insane system req compared to GW. GW has easily half the req (or less), and much more pleasing graphics. Granted, "pleasing" is purely a matter of opinion. But there's mine.

As for hosting costs, keep in mind also that GW uses only a fraction of the bandwidth of something like EQ (something in the area of 1/10 bandwidth). Not to say it won't still get expensive, just not nearly as much so.

It may have a "plastic" look to them, but i wouldn't go as far as the plastic army men.  They have improved alot to make it look less plastic, and i don't see them stoping now.  Still, Eq2's graphics are much more detailed than GW.  Just look at the faces, Eq2 faces are amazing, GW's faces look almost 2d with a little nose sticking out. 

I would rather have:

Than this:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• OracleP4OracleP4 Member Posts: 495
    I dunno, graphic quality wise those two screenshots look pretty similar.  And I personally like the GW one better, but that's just my opinion.

-------------------
    "Do I come to your workplace and tell you how to kill civilians? No, so don't tell me how to do my job" - Sam Fischer.

--OracleP4

-------------------
    "Do I come to your workplace and tell you how to kill civilians? No, so don't tell me how to do my job" - Sam Fischer.

--OracleP4

Like: DAoC, WOW, GW, DnL
    Dislike: SoR, EQ, EQ2, SWG, KO, AC2, CoH
    Don't Care About: Most Everything Else

GW's graphics look quite boxey.  Eq2 is really smoth.  I'd gladly take Eq2's, or even WoW's graphics over GW's.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I thought the graphics in GW looked like they were made with a glossy filter kinda like they use in Playboy image

-------------------

--OracleP4

-------------------

--OracleP4

• MountainDewMountainDew Member Posts: 119
    bobjones, how come you dont like GW? you like anit-gw man, lighten up bro. theres more than one mmorpg out there for ya, look for it man, look for itimage

Let Go of My Eggo Bitch!

• //\//\oo//\//\oo Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,767

Well, bob. Maybe you aren't acquainted with a lack of resources: I played GW on an 800 mhz with a P&P video card (don't even make em anymore) and 256 ram.

Obviously, it didn't run smoothly as it would have on your standard getup (>= 2 ghz, 512 ram, >= geforce x)... oh yeah did I mention that it was also on a 28.8k connection image

Despite the occasional freeze or computer crash, I was able to make it to the last mission and function adequately in a group while having oodles of fun (even though the graphics were analogous to virtua fighter 1.... on a 16 bit system image).

I am sure this has been said, but GW will appeal to a different market: namely to those players that do not wish to live or socialize online, but have more competitive inclinations.

Exploration is solo in GW, which takes the fun out of it (or should for most mmorpg players), but also makes GW playable on almost any connection (because of constraints concurrency is not as big an issue? I would think? Kartel knows more about this.).

IMHO GW will dominate EQ2&WOW in terms of sheer user numbers, since the set of people that plays mmorpgs is usually in the higher tax bracket (or people that have very elastic demand curves with respect to mmorpgs) and will not mind giving out the seemingly marginal amount for GW, while the set of people that couldn't afford mmorpgs (or that has a very steep demand curve, which I also thinks represents the majority of computer users with an internet connection)will be swayed by the lack of a fee.

I can't prove any of this because it is based on very weak assumptions.

"Oh, what sad times are these when passing ruffians can say 'ni' at will to old ladies. There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred."
    MP

This is a sequence of characters intended to produce some profound mental effect, but it has failed.

GW may be really good considering its free, but i have found that there is nothing to keep anyone hocked for more than a month.  Show me some info to prove there is something to do besides for fighting, and that group questing.  Games without any thing to do besides fight are boring....really boring.  I give it half a year, then it will start to fail becuase of lack of opitions.  Whoop de do, it has no fee, lets all DANCE!  A fee for the normal mmorpg is about $15.00, doesn't seem outrageous to me.  Look at runescape, its free but its complete crap.  Your asumptions are weak....very weak.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• tu_uilwentu_uilwen Member Posts: 794

Well bob don't bash me becasue you know i am a huge eq fan but!.....

GW from multiple people i have heard is not jsut clickloot and look for another to fight.....

in GW you need to use ALL of your skills and have tactics inorder to fight efficently.....but thats what i heard so please don't bash or flame me on this matter.......

and alot of games are actually fun where all you do is fight because then tis constant action....and plus the instanced zones to were you can also solo in.......no ones on or no one is really socializing at the moment....go solo...

also there is no Level grind from what i here.....

and oyu can sub 2 class........and class from what i hear.....

and they have a plan to patch the game with out having server down time.....like the game will patch has you login and zone and continue playing

Uilwen
    Waiting for
    Everquest 2
    World of warcraft
    Half-life 2
    Guild wars

Currently playing
    Everquest...45 wood elf Ranger
    DAoC.....26 Paladin *albion*

WoW
    -Rhalon 85 B.E. rogue
    -Rhalon 81 UD Mage
    -Doneski 85 Orc death knight

"Everyones life has a beginning and an end, No one can change that."-Hiko
    "If you wish to taste the ground, then feel free to attack."-Kenshin Himura

Did i ever say i was bashing you Uilwen?  I prefer to bash Oracle. image

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

That he does.  But I like to bash back too image

-------------------

--OracleP4

-------------------

--OracleP4

imageimage

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• shadojoshadojo Member Posts: 15

$15.00 a month for a game may not seem that much but

thats's $180 dollars a year just for the fee...then its a 50 dollar game

so you're paying $230 for the first year to play(i might as well go buy a ton of ecstasy- then to give EQ devs money)

Vs. 1 payment of 50dollars..and the graphics are more appealing to me plus i hated EQ1-so if its anything remote to it i wouldnt play it at all

• MMoMadhatterMMoMadhatter Member Posts: 4
    well I played the E3 for everyone version of GW and I thought it was amazing.  It you actually have to work as a team in the arena.  Also it's free.  Could this game get any better?

• AzronAzron Member Posts: 41

Originally posted by Tiberiux

The reason is obvious to everyone.
    No monthly fee.
    Silly question really.

LoL, you do realize your saying "I cannot afford $15/month"
  • KartelKartel Member Posts: 241

Originally posted by Azron

LoL, you do realize your saying "I cannot afford $15/month"

A lot of people can't, actually, or at least can't well enough to justify the cost.

• AzronAzron Member Posts: 41

Originally posted by Djin

You're 100% right.  I'm all for Blizzard.  They where still making patches for Starcraft and WCIII!  I thought they found all the bug?! :)  As for AC2 and L2... I seen my buddy level a DE/Ranger from 1 to 50+ in two days...  they need to nerf the crap out of bows... but they won't.
    I had a dwarf and I was level 30 in 3 weeks... it sucked... then my guild made me sit for hours making D grade soul/spirit shots... very annoying.  And Shadowbane... lol!
    I quit after a week of garbage exploits they still haven't fixed.

Thats total BS the level grind is insane in L2 there is no way your "friend" went from 1 to 50 in 2 days.

• UberXUberX Member Posts: 60

My problem with guildwars...... well what is everyone's problem with guildwars if they choose to play another game? All i stated was that free mmorpgs don't really end up that well.

I would tend to agree with you- but I think Guild Wars is going to be the exception. The game simply looks so fantastic, and the gameplay I experienced during the E3 event was so much better than any other MMO I'd ever experienced, that I'm pretty certain the game will be fine.

And if you choose to play another game- that's your choice. And you'll be able to watch as GW proves its worth. I hope you'll feel like playing then, maybe. If not, oh well.

• ramadinramadin Member Posts: 1,304

I tested GW already and its not a very good game.  Basically just Diablo2 in 3D.  Not to mention its not even an MMORPG so stop comparing it to EQ2 and WoW.

Laying in bed, looking up at the stars, a single thought passed through my head. Where the fuck is my roof?

-----------------Censored------------------

• BrutuxBrutux Member Posts: 156

ramadin nice sig lol... (damn can u delete ur own post i always hit the damn wrong button ::::27::)

• BrutuxBrutux Member Posts: 156

Originally posted by ramadin
    I tested GW already and its not a very good game. Basically just Diablo2 in 3D. Not to mention its not even an MMORPG so stop comparing it to EQ2 and WoW.

Laying in bed, looking up at the stars, a single thought passed through my head. Where the fuck is my roof?

GW is an ok game but i think it will have more younger players who can't get mom or dad or are too damn lazy to get a job for 15$ a month so the community *might* suck and probably will. This is just like Diablo 2 in 3d well put this is what i thought when i tried the E3 thing. Now I'm not saying this game will completely suck but it might have cheaters w/o the servers and stuff like that. I think WoW and Eq2 (especially WoW ::::28::) will out sell this game but this game is worth getting if u can't afford the monthly fee and dont care for cheaters ::::21::.

This discussion has been closed.