Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Long login time

jetfan83jetfan83 Member Posts: 14

I'm trying to log into Guild Wars and I have to download 13,999.  After about 5 minutes it only downloaded one file.  Am I downloading the patches or does it usually take this long to login (I'm logging in for the first time in about 6 months)?

Comments

• Lonesamurai1Lonesamurai1 Member Posts: 1,210

Originally posted by jetfan83

I'm trying to log into Guild Wars and I have to download 13,999.  After about 5 minutes it only downloaded one file.  Am I downloading the patches or does it usually take this long to login (I'm logging in for the first time in about 6 months)?
    use the image command to make it quicker

you should have a Guild wars icon on the desktop, right click on this and make a copy, then right click on the desktop and click paste. This will then create a second Guild Wars icon.

Once you have the second icon, right click on it and rename the icon to "Guild Wars Image" or similar (as your going to hide this icon later anyway, it doesn't matter what you call it).

Right click on your Guild Wars shortcut and select 'Properties'. You'll then find this:

In the 'Target Area' field you will see the location of your Guild Wars executable file:

"C:Program FilesGuild WarsGw.exe"

Write the desired command line arguments after the quote marks (as I've done in the image above):

"C:Program FilesGuild WarsGw.exe" -image

Click apply, then click ok, then double click the icon to start it and the client will start and find and download all relevant and up to date game files and decompress them, this makes the game so much faster and saves people waiting whilst you load an area that you haven't been to before

Now, whilst this is doing its thing, move the icon you just made into the Startup section in your start menu (click All Programs and goto "Startup", right click on it and click explore to open a file window) by clicking and dragging into the file window. This will now make the installer check for updates whenever you start up your PC, meaning your always up to date and if you watch your start up, you also see if there has been an update so you can go and see whats been changed (if your as anal as me that is ;) )

Now, the imaging can take anywhere between an hour to 5/6 hours depending on your connection, time of day and timezone (for the server it will connect to), so whilst your doing this, go and have a good read through of the official Guild Wars Wiki to get to know the game better

imageimage