Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

An old games workshop fan

I used to love the tabletop warhammer game's. Painting the minitures, having friends over and battling it out for hours on end. Buying White Dwarf magazine and just generally following anything to do with warhammer/warhammer4000 universe. But for some reason this game just does not interest me ?? Is here something wrong with me lol.

Just wondering if anyone else who played the table top game has hd the same feeling's?

Comments

• JADEDRAG0NJADEDRAG0N Member Posts: 733

No im quite looking foward to gving this one a go.

• RyjelbloodRyjelblood Member Posts: 48

Well I think alot is lost in the translation from table top role playing games to MMOs, so no, I dont blame you for not having much interest.  I for one cant wait for WAR to be released, but this is coming from someone who enjoys realm vs realm MMO combat and likes what Mythic did with Daoc (at least early on).   Honestly much of what makes table top games fun is missing from MMO's, theyre entirely different formats.  I used to love playing AD&D around a table with my friends, and I doubt anything near that experience can ever be recreated in a video game.

• checkthis500checkthis500 Member Posts: 1,236

One thing that's hooked me about this game is that they're going for a "full hobby" experience.

To me the ability to dye armor as well as something that they mentioned a long time ago, which hopefully is in. The ability to add bits of armor or turn bits on or off.  As well as the ability to equip tabards, banners, trophies, etc. to your character I think will really give it that modeling feeling from the TT.

That's just me though.

I'm looking for a game I can play as a hobby, and if they have the level of customization that they claim to. (Saying that you can line up 10 Ironbreakers all the same level and none of them will look the same, as well as saying that there are 40 unique armor sets per class at launch)

I really think there will be a huge hobby feeling to the game.  That and they must make sure to get the rivalries between the races off to great feel from day one. 

Judging from the Dwarf Starting Area article here on mmorpg.com as well as other reviews about the starting area, being able to PvP from day one, as well as being thrown into battle from day one should help with this animosity for the opposite race that should be ingrained in every player as soon as they create their character.

---------------------------------------------
    I live to fight, and fight to live.

• TwohededboyTwohededboy Member Posts: 200

I used to play the tabletop game and feel that this MMO will be a good representation of that part of the hobby. That being said I enjoyed the WFRP more and probably wont play WAR because it doesn't appear to try and capture the feeling of dread and doom that is an integral part of the Warhammer world. Just not my cup of tea.

• SpiritofGameSpiritofGame Member UncommonPosts: 1,332

Personally, I always thought I was a nerd because I played console and PC games.

But after seeing people who play tabletop RPGs with hand-painted miniatures and multi-sided dice, I believe they are in a special nerd category.

When you see them, you get a look on your face --  --  --   --   like when you see Live Action Roleplayers.

~ Ancient Membership ~

• RanlawlRanlawl Member Posts: 126
    Originally posted by Twohededboy

I used to play the tabletop game and feel that this MMO will be a good representation of that part of the hobby. That being said I enjoyed the WFRP more and probably wont play WAR because it doesn't appear to try and capture the feeling of dread and doom that is an integral part of the Warhammer world. Just not my cup of tea.

i feel it couldnt be more detached from the tabletop game, mechanics relate in no way at all imo, its based more on the novels and lore imo

Yeah dice chuckers have a diferent style then button pushers, and dont get me started on card flippers and mini pushers.

Originally posted by Ranlawl

Originally posted by Twohededboy

i feel it couldnt be more detached from the tabletop game, mechanics relate in no way at all imo, its based more on the novels and lore imo

Maybe because the focus of most discussions for WAR are on the PVP, which I feel will be done very well, that I don't see much about the dark and forboding world of Warhammer in the game. My comparison to the miniatures game is based on the games constant warfare.

• sirespersiresper Member Posts: 317

Originally posted by SpiritofGame

Personally, I always thought I was a nerd because I played console and PC games.
    But after seeing people who play tabletop RPGs with hand-painted miniatures and multi-sided dice, I believe they are in a special nerd category.
    When you see them, you get a look on your face --  --  --   --   like when you see Live Action Roleplayers.

In the 80's and early 90's, if you played console and PC games you were a super nerd.

Late 90's and early 2000, you were somewhat of a nerd, but not as much as before.

Modern day, nerd hardly even applies to gamers, unless you are hardcore and spend every free second doing it.

I think its pretty obvious that nerdity is hardly an inherent quality but whatever opinion society at large has at the moment. Which makes it as shallow and meaningless as fashion and most pop culture opinions.

Of course, any of this is really only an issue when you are still young and in school. Once you get out into the real world, working with adults, people don't care about it much. Richest man in the world is a nerd. Sounds like hes got it pretty good to me.

• KaneKane Member Posts: 780

Sorry, this got posted to the wrong thread cause this forum software SUCKS.

• ThefonzThefonz Member Posts: 280

Ok so aparently this game is not gruesome enough for you? And get off your TT high horse too. GW has it's way and if Mythic doesn't meet their standards it'll be bye bye WaR. Remember why you first started to like Warhammer, don't think of it as the elitist point of view where just because it's not good enough because you're not playing an army, it breaks certain rules, etc....

• tikovootikovoo Member Posts: 289
    Originally posted by dominit

I used to love the tabletop warhammer game's. Painting the minitures, having friends over and battling it out for hours on end. Buying White Dwarf magazine and just generally following anything to do with warhammer/warhammer4000 universe. But for some reason this game just does not interest me ?? Is here something wrong with me lol.
    Just wondering if anyone else who played the table top game has hd the same feeling's?

I think you just got older! This game lacks the grit, I think that because it is an mmo it will loose the familiar appeal you found with playing with friends. That is kinda lost here with the impersonal nature of the way the game is set up compared to playing in your living room or wherever. Not that mmo's aren't supposed to be socially negative, just that you will lose that close appeal coming from home to PC. IMO.

• DuraheLLDuraheLL Member Posts: 2,951

Well it's about as intence as a MMORPG could possibly be I have to say.

$OE lies list
    http://www.rlmmo.com/viewtopic.php?t=424&start=0
    "
    And I don't want to hear anything about "I don't believe in vampires" because *I* don't believe in vampires, but I believe in my own two eyes, and what *I* saw is ******* vampires! "

• RanlawlRanlawl Member Posts: 126
    Originally posted by DuraheLL

Well it's about as intence as a MMORPG could possibly be I have to say.

thats a pretty extreme statement for a game that has not come out yet