Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

stop comapring WAR to WoW

2»

Comments

• PengysanPengysan Member Posts: 22

Originally posted by synn

I'm sorry to break it to all the WoW kiddies that lost their mmo virginity when WoW was released but.....WAR is not a rip off WoW. In fact I think Blizz could have a made a bigger killing if they copied some of the pvp ideas Mythic used in DaoC. I think the biggest thing WAR and WoW have in common are the graphics but I give WAR the ribbon for making your character change over time as you lvl. I've played both WoW and DaoC since release and have seen both get better and worst. What sets the two games apart is the  audience its geared towards. WoW, in my opinion is geared more toward those that enjoy raids and PvE. DaoC is geared more towards solo and team pvp/rvr with a touch of pve/raid thrown in there.
        In all honesty though ,unless you've actually played DaoC its kinda hard to say to make a comparison about a game made by the same company just because the only game you know is WoW. Do yourself a favor and go D/L the 14 day free trial http://www.darkageofcamelot.com/ and play the game to atleast lvl 20 and go check out Thidranki then swing by the housing areas. the Thid BG doesn't even compare to the real fun of RvR, RA, and all that other stuff that make PvP enjoyable and worth doing.

tl;dr.

in other words, comparing WoW and WAR is like comparing Oranges to Steven Spielburg.

WAR was founded on a tabletop strategy game. WoW was made/founded by a sellout RTS and a sellout company.

• LoupsterLoupster Member Posts: 74

If people didn't instigate the argument by making threads like this we wouldn't have the problem at all. If we pretend not to care they won't troll, people (even if the believe it's true) will only say "More like World of Warhammer Online Craft" if the think that someone else out there will argue back. Don't start the argument and don't reply to the argument and eventually there won't be an argument.

-Snowman <- this name was taken.....but I like it more

• joejoeirishjoejoeirish Member Posts: 11

Originally posted by Pengysan

WAR was founded on a tabletop strategy game. WoW was made/founded by a sellout RTS and a sellout company.

Don't  be a "hata", that's the only thing worse than a fanboy.    Without Blizzard , you wouldn't have near the quality or quantity of MMOs coming out in the next few years.   That's a fact. 

And guess what?  SOME of those "Casual" WoW  players become hardcore over time.   That is the ONLY WAY to ensure the survival of the genre is to BRING IN NEW PLAYERS, OR IT SLOWLY DIES THROUGH ATTRITION.   YOU GOTTA START SOMEWHERE. 

Every heroin addict started out taking a few hits on a joint.

• joejoeirishjoejoeirish Member Posts: 11

BTW-- that "hipster elitism- hardcore" mentality is common many things.  Like wine, music, fasion, art, sports ect.   And to those well informed and mature.   It comes off as petty and adolescent.   Reminds me of people who start hating bands when others like them (Who is the one letting others dictate thier taste NOW?)  

Think about that one- and get over it.   If WoW was as popular as EQ or less:  you haters would call it the greatest thing ever.  

• SathirSathir Member Posts: 161

I totally Agree with you Synn. Nice post.

-----------------------------------------
    WAR is coming, are you prepared?
    -----------------------------------------

• shadowrunxtshadowrunxt Member UncommonPosts: 121

Why in the hell would you tell people to stop comparing it to WoW.  It's really obvious, bar a hundred valid explanations.  If WAR could have started 2003, then maybe things would go the other way.

So blame Blizzard for making WoW.

• dominitdominit Member Posts: 64
    Originally posted by Kyleran

Ah hell, I compare everything to WOW...  my kid's report card, the service at Outback restaurant, the Devil Ray's pitching (LOL) and sunset I watch at the end of the day.
    Get used to it.... WOW's the big dog...every game will be compared to it from now until eternity.... 
    and please.... fix the title of this thread.... is "comparing"

This is right, even games like AoC are being compared to wow. And any MMO that comes out will be untill it beats WoW of its top spot. In terms of how big the game is

• quixadhalquixadhal Member UncommonPosts: 215

But.... everything must be compared to WoW.  It's like when someone at a TV network falls asleep and accidentally lets an original program on the air, every other station must immediately start making 12 copies of that program's formula so the entire concept gets pummeled into the dust and everyone can go back to zombie-channel-flipping where they see more advertisements than programs.

WoW did something original, they actually polished a game to the point where it was playable at launch (or would have been if they'd anticipated a million people showing up).  Nothing ELSE was original, but that idea was.  Now, hopefully Warhammer and everyone else who watched Vanguard's fall will do likewise. :)