Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SWG - How to Say It? - 3rd Gen MMO.

none191none191 Member Posts: 261

It is so good that I think many players of SWG do not know how to tell their friends how good it is.

I am in that spot!

I think the game, the world is so fascinating I do not know how to describe it.  I ask if they seen the movies, and I say it is like playing a game but in the movies.  It is that good.  It is that fun. The community is the most mature and intelligent MMO community.  I hope SOE keeps developing this great game.

Comments

• none191none191 Member Posts: 261

Originally posted by AveBethos

What's up Mr. Smedley, good to see you made it back to the forum!  
    Come on, man.

I am totally serious.

• AveBethosAveBethos Member Posts: 611
    Originally posted by HiGHPLaiNS

Say hello to AveBethos, One of the biggest trolls in the current SWG forum 

Personal attack.  Pretty sure that violated the code of conduct...  

• bewickedbewicked Member Posts: 82

How can that be, when its so true that you are a troll? You have nothing to say positive pertaining to this forum.

Go back to you buds in the vet forum..

Currently Playing: AO and FE.

Originally posted by bewicked

How can that be, when its so true that you are a troll? You have nothing to say positive pertaining to this forum.

Not true.  I am happy to talk about the state of the game in its current form unbiasedly.  I like some aspects of the NGE more than that of Pre-CU.  I just don't sugarcoat the bad aspects and (FOR WHATEVER REASON) brownnose SOE for the incomplete state the game is STILL in 4 years after release...

4 years!!!!!!!  

• TorakTorak Member Posts: 4,905

I don't know about "3rd gen"

If they hadn't taken out the profession system, IMHO this game would be in much better shape. The removal of the profession (and  the resulting cascade effect) was far more damaging then the combat changes IMHO. It removed a complex feature and replaced it with a simplified feature.

Now thats not to say the game isn't any good, it is. Its just not the same as it was before 

• Eben032Eben032 Member Posts: 15

I just wanted to add a few more  to this post.

P.S.  I hope Sony drops the game so another more reputable company can maybe come in (pending all the legal crap which I assume even trying to make a new Star Wars MMO would entail) and create something new which isn't a clone of WoW.

• EvelknievelEvelknievel Member UncommonPosts: 2,964

Originally posted by bewicked

Not true.  I am happy to talk about the state of the game in its current form unbiasedly.  I like some aspects of the NGE more than that of Pre-CU.  I just don't sugarcoat the bad aspects and (FOR WHATEVER REASON) brownnose SOE for the incomplete state the game is STILL in 4 years after release...

4 years!!!!!!!  

LOL.. thats good...

• dirtyd77dirtyd77 Member UncommonPosts: 383

Well you may be pretty sure his post violated it, but we know for certain your post did. Heck  99% of your post violate the code of conduct for these forums.

So please spare us. 

• vingvegavingvega Member Posts: 577

If I can be a Wookie Dancer that I can macro for mad amounts of credit, then i'm buying this game RIGHT NOW!

• mmcguire2mmcguire2 Member Posts: 310
    Lol, I think you posted in the wrong forum. Or this is the first game you have ever played and have nothing to compare it to.
  • GetoveritGetoverit Member Posts: 61

Doc- This is the current forums and if someone likes the game this where they should post it. The only reason there would be a flame fest is because of trolls who are breaking the rules of the forums.  Heck I will say this right now there is not a game out there that is close being as good as SWG for me personally. 

Mmcguire- He is by no means in the wrong forum maybe you are though. This is the SWG "Current" forum and if he truely likes the game this is where he should post it.  Just because your panties may be in a wad about the game doesn't mean no one else can like it.

Jeez people read the damn forum descriptions and then get in where you fit in....

"Great minds discuss ideas, lesser minds discuss things, and shitheads get personal."

I played the game for hours last night, and I met several people who just recently returned (within three weeks or so) but who played years ago.  We also have people like me who never played before joining.

One quick comment:  I would have like the level-less system better.  The world is the most fascinating and deep MMO world ever created.  And it is still, today, the best MMO world.  It is very unique but consistently based on the movies.  Some aspects are not like the movies, like the number of Jedi.  I agree that the Jedi would be better a class that requires a year of work to attain.

Anyway, I think a lot of unfortunate people have been dissuaded from buying this great game because of all the bad press about it.  However, the truth is that the game is still great, different from NGE (which I never played) but delivers a powerful gaming experience.

• ixontesixontes Member UncommonPosts: 317

I played last night and did absolutely nothing! and enjoyed it. SWG is the only game I could ever do that.

I took my speeder bike and just rode all through out Naboo, and it was kinda fun!

• AntariousAntarious Member UncommonPosts: 2,834

Originally posted by Getoverit

Doc- This is the current forums and if someone likes the game this where they should post it. The only reason there would be a flame fest is because of trolls who are breaking the rules of the forums.  Heck I will say this right now there is not a game out there that is close being as good as SWG for me personally. 
    Mmcguire- He is by no means in the wrong forum maybe you are though. This is the SWG "Current" forum and if he truely likes the game this is where he should post it.  Just because your panties may be in a wad about the game doesn't mean no one else can like it.
    Jeez people read the damn forum descriptions and then get in where you fit in....

You might want to at least take a college level logic class before you write a post like that.

You are implying that if someone is playing now, they only will have a positive comment on the game.  That the only flame, negative comment or arguement would be from someone saying basicly that pre-cu is better or you wouldn't refer to the vet forums.

What about someone who never played back then... bought the game recently and came to comment that in their opinion the game was a steaming pile of dog ....

According to your post they would have no place to add their opinion (they aren't a vet).  If that's the case the forum should be renamed to something more like (only positive comments on swg forum).

I'm not here to bash the game because there is no point to that on a forum.  The only thing a company cares about is money.. so if they lose enough accounts it would say more than any forum post. (this is just an example btw).

The only reason I'm posting atm.. is because your post.. makes no sense in any logical application.

In fact the specific part of your post:

"This is the current forums and if someone likes the game this where they should post it. The only reason there would be a flame fest is because of trolls who are breaking the rules of the forums."

So again if someone doesn't like the game and isn't a vet where do they post their opinion?

I mean "negative" comments can actually be positive to game development.  Not everyone who dislikes something is creating flames or being a troll.

So you may want to reword that post there and no where in the forum description.. does it say that you cannot post about things you dislike in the current game (key word being current).  Which is not what you are trying to imply at all.

Originally posted by ixontes

I played last night and did absolutely nothing! and enjoyed it. SWG is the only game I could ever do that.

Oh, exactly.  I mostly do that.  I have not started the Legacy Quest.  I just learned last night you can get a speeder. LOL1

I just log in and explore and socialize and have a good time.  It is always fun.  I could not do that in any other game.

• mindspatmindspat Member Posts: 1,367

Originally posted by none191

It is so good that I think many players of SWG do not know how to tell their friends how good it is.
    I am in that spot!
    I think the game, the world is so fascinating I do not know how to describe it.  I ask if they seen the movies, and I say it is like playing a game but in the movies.  It is that good.  It is that fun. The community is the most mature and intelligent MMO community.  I hope SOE keeps developing this great game.

I'm confused.  Is the OP attempting to be sarcasitc?  Seriously.

The last 5 times I attempted to enjoy the game post "nge" I was appaled by the disrepectful "leet" kidies who "pwn every1" while expressing their uberness in PvP.  I had added more offenders to /addignore on those times then I would add spamers in Coronet during the great pre-cu days.

Looking past the poor communication skills of a large percentage of the community I encountered in the current state only showed me how there was a unified selfisness in terms of lootable objects; resources, items, etc.  Even when attempting to do "things" there was a common attitude that it was waisting everyones time 'cs "there's no good loot here". 

Even expanding upon the "cannon" of Star WArs it's quite clear that the game does NOT feel like star wars.  It was more "star warzy" during the CU, or before, then now.  Having 60% of the visible characters in Mos Esily running around in white robes and waving "light sabers" does nothing but distract from the intended theme of the game.

The community is *NOT* "the most mature and intelligent MMO community.  The quoted statement couldn't be the furthest from the truth!  Maybe it would be accurate if it were referecning a time "pre-cu" although those days are long gone.

Then I look back up at "I say it is like playing a game but in the movies" and can't help but laugh.  The best way to get the game to feel like the movies is by watching them in x4 fast forward!

While the graphics are decent, they used to look a little better, it still "looks" good. 

There are many other games which express a higher degree of social apptitude and maturity then the current player base of Star Wars Galaxies.

p.s. not all community members of SWG are bad, but the good ones are a deffinite minority.

• Mr.WizardMr.Wizard Member UncommonPosts: 243
    Originally posted by Torak

I don't know about "3rd gen"
    If they hadn't taken out the profession system, IMHO this game would be in much better shape. The removal of the profession (and  the resulting cascade effect) was far more damaging then the combat changes IMHO. It removed a complex feature and replaced it with a simplified feature.
    Now thats not to say the game isn't any good, it is. Its just not the same as it was before 

Agreed, its far from 3rd gen. SOE could only wish that was true  If they didnt take out the things you mention (and some more stuff) it would be more close to a 3rd gen than it will ever get now

• the'doc'the'doc' Member Posts: 25

oh well sorry for posting such a negative post but it seems to me that almost evry post i see come through this forum that may even be a twinkle of a positive thing being said about any game you can't seem to keep the trolls away so i am sorry if i said this would cause some sort of flame wars but it seems to me your not allowed to like a game at mmorpg.com and post about it without a crapload of knuckleheads calling you smedley or torres or even a fanboi

• SramotaSramota Member Posts: 756

To be 3rd gen (Next gen I assume?) an MMO would have to bring something new and innovative to the table.

SWG just doesn't have that.

Sure, it's not bad.
    But neither is it fantastic and exceptional.

Played so far: 9Dragons, AO, AC, AC2, CoX, DAoC, DF, DnL, DR, DDO, Ent, EvE, EQ, EQ2, FoMK, FFO, Fury, GW, HG:L, HZ, L1, L2, M59, MU, NC1, NC2, PS, PT, R:O, RF:O, RYL, Ryzom, SL, SB, SW:G, TR, TCoS, MX:O, UO, VG, WAR, WoW...
    It all sucked.

• truenorthbgtruenorthbg Member Posts: 1,453

I think it is a brilliant game.

I am a new player, too.

-----
    WoW and fast food = commercial successes.
    I neither play WoW nor eat fast food.

• vizaviza Member Posts: 204
    Originally posted by none191

I am in that spot!

you are way too happy to be for real. Is this your first MMO?

• OiregOireg Member Posts: 54

I'll not put a number on it, but pre cu swg was closer to a 'next gen' mmo than anything out or in development. 

Seemless worlds, full player economy, tons of classes, even more options when building a template, non instanced player housing, player cities, player crafted/owned pvp bases that would be destoryed (a real reason to pvp, you defended something that was YOURS).  The PvP and PvE camps working together, they supplied our gear and we defeneded their cities/bases from attack.  I've never has as much fun in a pvp game than I did in SWG

SWG had issues, it had no real pve content and doc buffs that allowed pretty much any class to solo anything in the game really hurt pve. But all in all the game was really ahead of it's time.  I'm shocked that newer mmo's have not picked up on some of the many things SWG did right. 

Originally posted by Oireg

I'll not put a number on it, but pre cu swg was closer to a 'next gen' mmo than anything out or in development. 
    Seemless worlds, full player economy, tons of classes, even more options when building a template, non instanced player housing, player cities, player crafted/owned pvp bases that would be destoryed (a real reason to pvp, you defended something that was YOURS).  The PvP and PvE camps working together, they supplied our gear and we defeneded their cities/bases from attack.  I've never has as much fun in a pvp game than I did in SWG
    SWG had issues, it had no real pve content and doc buffs that allowed pretty much any class to solo anything in the game really hurt pve. But all in all the game was really ahead of it's time.  I'm shocked that newer mmo's have not picked up on some of the many things SWG did right. 

/agreed.

It seems most MMO developers are copying a dumbed-down system that WoW has made popular instead of having a creative thought themselves.

Koster and Co. were truly ahead of their time with SWG back in 2002-2003.

• rymanryman Member Posts: 227

Star Wars should be based on the war, and not the monsters. Therefore the broken(or just plain easy) PvE was not a game killer, it was actually the way most PvP oriented games are, even though I doubt this was SOE's intention in the first place. However, once they turned the screws and began to turn it into a PvE oriented (aka WOW) game, it ruined what it was suppose to be. So, yes it was a "3rd/Next Gen" game during the early days, even with all the bugs (I hardly came across one.. cough cough..). It did PvP right to the point it wasn't a total gankfest, but rather more enjoyable, especially when you had to defend your outposts and depend on the player ran economy for supplies. I stand by the fact if SOE just worked on the bugs, and improved the GCW (adding battlefields back in), it will still be "Next Gen" today, but nope.. it is not now.

Sandbox = Next Gen. Period.

• area84area84 Member Posts: 335

Seriously the Vets need to chill out, im sick of listening to people bash games that others like, yea I'm a vet my self, yea I liked the game better the way it was before, but if people love the game now good for them, they should if they are playing it and paying for it. Seriously Vets get a grip of your self, its over it has been theres no need to keep bashing SWG anymore about how much NGE sucks, theres a million posts about it and honestly everyone is fed up with it, but some people who cant let go, its game it was fun leave it that way and move on to something different. No one is in a position to tell people what they should like, you like what I dont like and vice versa, there is no way to convince someone why they shouldnt like a game just because you dont.

This is sad the SWG forum has become a place for bashing and acting like total clowns, grow up and let people enjoy what they are paying for.

A man dies daily, only to be reborn in the morning, bigger, better and wiser.

-Playing AoC
    -Playing WoW
    -Retired- SWG
    -Retired- EVE
    -Retired- LotR

Computer (- Phenom 9600 Black Edition @ 2.81 Ghz (Quad Core CPU)- Gigabyte MA790FX-DS5 - 4 Gigs of PC 8500 ram (1066)- EVGA GeForce 8800 GTS PCI Express 2.0 - WD 500GB 7500RPM - Zalman CPU cooler (air cooled)
    - 24" Widescreen 1080P HD display).