Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My city just banned smoking in public!

Comments

• rathmarathma Member UncommonPosts: 3,786

Originally posted by MurtBijani

Originally posted by Djin

I heard there's no "super size" at Mc Donalds either... that's pretty neat. :)

when i went to Atlanta Georgia a couple weeks ago they still had the supersize menu..

it's all because of that movie "Super Size Me"

doens't matter..i hate mcdonalds anyway

Hah, i wouldn't know about any "supersizing" meals. As i haven't been to MCdonalds in 3 years. Last time i remember eating there, their hamburgers were paper thin, and was still the most fatening thing i ever ate.

Anyways, back to the smoking topic. Personally i don't like the law. They cracked down too fast. There's 2 types of smokers in this world. The ones that take responsibility to smoke away from other people. And the second is the careless people who smoke right in peoples faces. With Kunou and Djin, they are the first type of people. They probably enjoy a smoke, but they'd take it elsewhere if they had to. And now they probably can't even do that anymore because of this law. 

Your right, there's not much freedom to this world is there image.

Playing: City of Heroes/ Dark Age of Camelot
    Upcoming: EverQuest II

http://www.OriginNow.com - Official Fanboi

EverQuest II : Level 20 Paladin - Antonia Bayle Server
  • BrahmBrahm Member Posts: 60

You know what really suprises me most is that people consider smoking a horrible atrocity, but drinking alcohol is okay. Its not okay to advertise tobacco products on television, but its okay to advertise beer and liquor. Mabye this has something to do with the big money paid for commercial slots.

All I know is I would rather have person with a cigarette behind the wheel than a person with a six pack. Its easier to walk away from someone smoking than a mass of speeding metal that could wipe out a whole family.

• MalkavianMalkavian Member UncommonPosts: 2,995

After re-reading this post... it just occured to me the author lives 1 hour away from me.... image

- Malkavian image

"When you find youself sinking into Madness, dive" - Malkavian Proverb

- MMORPG.COM Staff -
    Forum Stalker
    [email protected]

"When you find yourself sinking into Madness, dive"

• ramadinramadin Member Posts: 1,304

WTF is with this BS where its a persons RIGHT to smoke????  Show me in the constitution where it says that?  As far as not driving cars due to pollution, maybe I dont drive a car due to pollution, you dont know that.  Besides some people drive cars out of necessity for transportation, yes those that dont need it shouldnt use it.  SO dont try to pull that crap.  No one smokes out of necessity.

Laying in bed, looking up at the stars, a single thought passed through my head. Where the fuck is my roof?

-----------------Censored------------------

• Sir-SvenSir-Sven Member Posts: 773

You live in Dayton? That's crazy! ::::02::
    Anyway, personally, I think that getting a whiff of some 200 poisons floating in the air is not just unhealthy for you, it makes you look dumb. I don't know why people would think it makes them look good. Some people that smoke do so just to relax, maybe it relaxes them, but not me. I could never imagine smoking to relax. *Puff*, *Inhale*, "Ahh, nothing like rotting your lungs and heart even faster than ever." *Exhale*
    I think it is gross, it makes your teeth yellow, makes you smell like shit. My older brother smokes, my oldest sister smoked for about two years, my other sister still smokes, my parent smoked before any of us were born. They all smelled like shit when they walked in the door, only my brothers teeth are stained, its freaken sick.
    I don't think that banning smoking is a bad thing at all. Just because they're banning it in public places doesn't mean they're going to ban it at home. That's ridiculous. America would never allow that. If they had a community like that in some no where land in America and everyone agreed to it, then don't move there. lol. (That will never happen). But I think I have the right as an American citizen to go places I want to go and not have to put up with poison floating in the air. It's disgusting. Not only that, I have asthma, if I get one whiff of smoke.... who the hell knows what'll happen.
    I do believe that if you want to smoke, then you should go to your little box next to the street and smoke there, next to the cars. So the healthy people don't have to put up with their crap.

Also, you have a right to do many things unless it hurts people. Like smoking, you shouldn't have that right to hurt other people. It's like attacking someone in town on a game, you should get guard whacked. Or in this case, taken to jail. I hope I didn't offend anyone.

サ ー ス ベ ン

• SpitFyreSpitFyre Member UncommonPosts: 24

Originally posted by Brahm

You know what really suprises me most is that people consider smoking a horrible atrocity, but drinking alcohol is okay. Its not okay to advertise tobacco products on television, but its okay to advertise beer and liquor. Mabye this has something to do with the big money paid for commercial slots.
    All I know is I would rather have person with a cigarette behind the wheel than a person with a six pack. Its easier to walk away from someone smoking than a mass of speeding metal that could wipe out a whole family.

I'm with you Brahm.  Alcohol is the most deadly drug in the US (not sure about other nations).  Every year more Americans die due to alcohol then perished in the entire Vietnam War (from auto accidents, liver and kidney failure and violence).  This is because it is also the only legal mind-altering drug we have.  I find it funny how people often clasify alcohol as something other than a drug...it is no different than morphine, crack, marajuana or whatever - it is just a liquid and it is legal and socially acceptable.  When you watch a brain under the influence of alcohol you can't tell it from any other drug.  So yes, if you drink - you are a "drug user" and you have no right talking down to the guy you see in the streets shooting up heroin...except for the fact that he is a law breaker - but because he is using a drug makes him no lower than a person sipping their martini.

Then you have the millions of children who are beaten by alcoholic parents.  Personally I don't find drinking or smoking very cool at all.  I have watched many people i loved and cared for die from both.

People have a right to do what they want - however when a large portion of people abuse things in such a manner that it hurts innocent by-standers - our government has a right to step in.   Personally I think executions for drunk driving or re-enactment of prohibition would get my "yes" vote on any ballot. 

• DekronDekron Member UncommonPosts: 7,359

Originally posted by Djin

Next is going to be no smoking in your own home...
    I thought The United States was a "free" country...

You forget about non-smokers though.  Aren't we free to be without other people's smoke.  I know smokers have a right to smoke, but what about non-smoker's right for smoke-free air?  The way it is now in Oklahoma is that most places no longer allow smoking, however, places with bars have made the bar a seperate room which is the smoking area.  Now I can understand having to deal with smoke if I go to a bar, but when I am trying to eat and someone is smoking at the table next to me, that just makes me sick, the smell sucks. 

Besides, everyone should stop smoking anyways, it kills you!  My mother just died last Sunday of lung cancer from smoking. image Her age...48 years, too young to be dead.  Smoke if you want, but respect other people when you do.

--------------------------------------------

33.333333333333336% of me is a huge nerd! How about you?

--------------------------------------------

• FinweFinwe Member CommonPosts: 3,106
    Except. Alchohol consumed in small quantities does not do any harm. Or if it does, it'd be such a small percentage its unknowingly there.

"The greatest trick the devil played on humanity in the 20th century was convincing them that he didnt exist." (Paraphrasing) C.S. Lewis

"The greatest trick the devil played on humanity in the 20th century was convincing them that he didn't exist." (Paraphrasing) C.S. Lewis

"If a mother can kill her own child, what is left before I kill you and you kill me?" -Mother Teresa when talking about abortion after accepting the Nobel Peace Prize in 1979

• n2soonersn2sooners Member UncommonPosts: 926

Originally posted by ramadin
    WTF is with this BS where its a persons RIGHT to smoke???? Show me in the constitution where it says that? As far as not driving cars due to pollution, maybe I dont drive a car due to pollution, you dont know that. Besides some people drive cars out of necessity for transportation, yes those that dont need it shouldnt use it. SO dont try to pull that crap. No one smokes out of necessity.

Laying in bed, looking up at the stars, a single thought passed through my head. Where the fuck is my roof?

Amendment IX

The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people.

What about the right of business owners to chose which group of consumers they wish to serve?

image image

• methane47methane47 Member CommonPosts: 3,701

Also something for the people who use Cars as an excuse to smoke....
    Firstly Smoking was banned for indoor enclosed areas... and I'm pretty sure you dont find Cars inside enclosed areas driving around... Cars have been restricted to a certain area... and So have Smokers...

Secondly... Emmisions have been restricted also... So cars that produce too much pollution, the driver can be fined, car impounded... You don't hear anybody arguing about the "freedom" to produce as much carbon manoxide as they want. So this is the same as saying if a person smokes tooo much they can be fined, and their cigs taken away...

Thirdly... Car smoke doesn't damage the car or the person inside.. That smoke is an unneccessary bi-product in the production of energy... So the car gets rid of it... So that's equated to your excrement... And Cars don't want to produce that smoke.. so why do you???

Click Here --->Just one of those days<--- Click Here
    What's your Wu Name?
    Donovan --> Wu Name = Violent Knight
    Methane47 --> Wu Name = Thunderous Leader
    "Some people call me the walking plank, 'cuz any where you go... Death is right behind you.."
    <i>ME<i>

What's your Wu Name?
    Donovan --> Wu Name = Violent Knight
    Methane47 --> Wu Name = Thunderous Leader
    "Some people call me the walking plank, 'cuz any where you go... Death is right behind you.."
    <i>ME<i>

• MunkiMunki Member CommonPosts: 2,128

Im a non smoker, My mother was a smoker until I was 4 and my dad has always smoked.

I personally cant stand smoke, I always go into a coughing fit when sombody is smoking around me.

As far as it being a right, you have all the rights in the world to screw you life up, but when it starts to effect mine, thats where the line should be drawn, go chew it, that way I dont have to live with your mistake.

No offence to people who smoke, much offence to people who smoke in tight areas or around me when Im in a coughing fit. (my god I HATE people who start smoking at stops or in places where I have to be for a while and when I start coughing and wheezing heavily they dont stop smoking)

I think it should be like that everywhere, if you want to smoke, go outside, go somewhere were it wont be screwing up my lungs, you have a filter on your end, There isnt one on the other side.

after 6 or so years, I had to change it a little...

I think business owners should decide if they want their business to be smoking, non-smoking, or some combo of the two. As long as they post it at every entry, then it should be their decision, not the government's. Going to a privately owned business and complaining because it allows smoking is as stupid as those people who are trying to sue fast food resteraunts because they are fat.

image image

• Bobjones1303Bobjones1303 Member Posts: 680
    ....it may be your "right" to put whatever you want into your body if it isn't harming others.  But smoking is harming others.  Toxins are floating up into the air, drifting, causing acid rain.  It polluting our enviorment.  Some kid in Africa shouldn't have to chock on the air because you feel the need to light up a smoke.  What do they do good for you anyway?  Nothing.  If they can be legal then marajauana should be legal.  The world shouldn't have to suffer becuase you feel that its your "right" to smoke.  Americans screw up this planet more than any other country.  With giant SUVs that are compeletly useless, to you chain smokers.  All of you thinking its your "right" to screw up this planet.  Its a good thing smoking just got banned in that city.  Then mabye people can breath cleaner air for once!  I only hope it spreads and smoking is banned all over the country.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    -EQ1 character:Grotub, shaman of the Tribunal server

• RJCoxRJCox Member Posts: 2,686

If they can be legal then marajauana should be legal.

I have to say, at least in my opinion, this one little line just negated your entire argument.

Richard J. Cox
    "There were much of the beautiful, much of the wanton, much of the bizarre, something of the terrible, and not a little of that which might have excited disgust."

Its legal in multiple countries already.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• numaticnumatic Member UncommonPosts: 670

Im torn at the topic at hand here. On one hand, I am a smoker and enjoy a cig every now and again when im out. On the other hand, even I being a smoker HATE smelling other peoples smoke especially when im eating.

The only way your gunna get cancer from second hand smoke is by constantly being around people who are smoking. And even then the intake of smoke is negligable. The majority of the chemicals has been filtered out through the lungs and its being spread out by the surronding air so its not like your sucking it straight from the cig. My father has been smoking for roughly 27 years or so and is still cancer free. Im not saying its a good thing. If I could quit I would, but its not just about will power. The addicition to nicotine is chemical, not some physcological fixation.

But the basic fact is, if second hand smoking has been proven to cause even 1 death, it's still a risk to other people. People have the right to bear arms, but you don't see them walking around the streets because they just arent a risk to themselves.

Also there is the fact that these businesses are owned by people, not the government. And if smoking is allowed there, then you shouldnt go there if your worried about getting cancer. It hinges on peoples rights. You can't pass a law that prohibits people from smoking a LEGAL product in a building that allows it. But, apprently they have.

• BildgeratBildgerat Member Posts: 85

WOW THIS SOUNDS LIKE A NIGHT AT MY HOUSE,  I smoke and I feel I have every right to do so but I do understand that people have the right not to be around it.  I for one smoke in designated smoking areas and only outside. 

Now I know that you will say it is killing the air you have to breathe but so are cow farts.  I dont see you illegalizing cow gas

Bildgerat LiL'Pirate

Bildgerat LiL'Pirate

You should only be allowed to smoke in an air-tight area.  So the harmful chemicals given off only affect you!  Thus doing 2 things at once.  Keeping the air clean, and proving that those harmful chemicals are harmful.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• numaticnumatic Member UncommonPosts: 670

Originally posted by Bobjones1303
    ....it may be your "right" to put whatever you want into your body if it isn't harming others.  But smoking is harming others.  Toxins are floating up into the air, drifting, causing acid rain.  It polluting our enviorment.  Some kid in Africa shouldn't have to chock on the air because you feel the need to light up a smoke.  What do they do good for you anyway?  Nothing.  If they can be legal then marajauana should be legal.  The world shouldn't have to suffer becuase you feel that its your "right" to smoke.  Americans screw up this planet more than any other country.  With giant SUVs that are compeletly useless, to you chain smokers.  All of you thinking its your "right" to screw up this planet.  Its a good thing smoking just got banned in that city.  Then mabye people can breath cleaner air for once!  I only hope it spreads and smoking is banned all over the country.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Trust me pal, the gases produced by cars is NOTHING compared to the power plants and factories in our and every other country.

Yet america is the most polluting country in the entire world.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And yet, one good vulcano explosion puts far more polutants and greenhouse gasses into the atmosphere than all the humans on earth combined.

image image

• TaskyZZTaskyZZ Member Posts: 1,476

Originally posted by Bobjones1303
    Yet america is the most polluting country in the entire world.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Nope...

We rank 7th...

Pollution

• OracleP4OracleP4 Member Posts: 495
    I wish my city would pass a smoking ban image

-------------------
    "Do I come to your workplace and tell you how to kill civilians? No, so don't tell me how to do my job" - Sam Fischer.

--OracleP4

-------------------
    "Do I come to your workplace and tell you how to kill civilians? No, so don't tell me how to do my job" - Sam Fischer.

--OracleP4

Like: DAoC, WOW, GW, DnL
    Dislike: SoR, EQ, EQ2, SWG, KO, AC2, CoH
    Don't Care About: Most Everything Else

• MagmaMayhemMagmaMayhem Member Posts: 47

Oracle, you dimwit! We do have a smoking ban in public places. They even want to ban smoking in all bars and what not.

BTW, I heard about some town in the US a few years back that banned smoking in your home if it bothered your neighborimage But Washington quickly rebuked them and they got rid of it.

---------------------------------------------
    No right-minded fool forsakes truth for falsehood

---------------------------------------------
    No right-minded fool forsakes truth for falsehood

• GrymGrym Member UncommonPosts: 301

Wow! All this debate about smoking... makes me wanna go light one up. Matter o' fact, I think I will. Don't like it? Think you're man enough? Come knock my cigarette outta my mouth. Come on, I dare ya. image

(My son speaking to his Japanese Grandmother) " Sorry Obaba, I don't speak Japanese, I only speak human."