Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WoW reaches 9 million

ThriftThrift Member Posts: 1,783

Yup, seems this game is no where near losing players like most of you here think ...

The World of Warcraft subscriber base has continued to grow this year as new and returning players have signed up to explore Azeroth and check out all of the content added with the Burning Crusade expansion. Worldwide, the game's community now numbers more than 9 million subscribers. In the midst of preparations for BlizzCon and the upcoming launch of the expansion in mainland China, we wanted to take a moment to share the news and thank everyone for continuing to support the game.

Comments

• Demz2Demz2 Member Posts: 435

LoL man I'm telling you there is no stopping Blizzard or wow.  They are blowing every single one of their competitors away.  A true Behemoth.

• cupertinocupertino Member Posts: 1,094

if it 9 million now it should pass 10million when TBC expansion hits the 5million in china.

I hope they release some info on the net expansion during blizzcon too.

And before some 1 posts "9 million BS, its accounts not subs blah blah" please read the press release fully and the subscriber definition.

www.blizzard.com/press/070724.shtml

Originally posted by cupertino

if it 9 million now it should pass 10million when TBC expansion hits the 5million in china.
    I hope they release some info on the net expansion during blizzcon too.
    And before some 1 posts "9 million BS, its accounts not subs blah blah" please read the press release fully and the subscriber definition.
    www.blizzard.com/press/070724.shtml

Yes true once china relase hits, lol forget any other mmo ever reaching or destroying wow.  Even if all ther other new mmos coming out if they manage all together to take 50% of wows subs away, it will be far and away the biggest mmo.

Come on  Blizzard i want to see 15 million subs by the end of next year

• CelestianCelestian Member UncommonPosts: 1,136

Originally posted by Demz2

Come on Blizzard i want to see 15 million subs by the end of next year

I could give a crap about how many people they got subscribed. What I do care about is the lack of PVP in the world, the game is World of Warcraft, not Guild Wars.

The game is nothing but EQ1. I guess if you like to just raid in gimmicky raid boss fights and thats all then I guess it's a great game. I find it dull and uninspired.

As to the game not losing players, that's just not true. I also could care less how many Asian folks play this game. By and large they also like a lot of terrible MMOs compared to the typical European/NA.

Eventually even they will realize how shallow and uninspiring WoW is.

• Elleron00Elleron00 Member UncommonPosts: 40

Awww c'mon Celestian.  Get back on the bandwagon................you know you want to.

• davidw123davidw123 Member Posts: 70

Originally posted by Celestian

Originally posted by Demz2

Come on Blizzard i want to see 15 million subs by the end of next year

I could give a crap about how many people they got subscribed. What I do care about is the lack of PVP in the world, the game is World of Warcraft, not Guild Wars.

The game is nothing but EQ1. I guess if you like to just raid in gimmicky raid boss fights and thats all then I guess it's a great game. I find it dull and uninspired.

As to the game not losing players, that's just not true. I also could care less how many Asian folks play this game. By and large they also like a lot of terrible MMOs compared to the typical European/NA.

Eventually even they will realize how shallow and uninspiring WoW is.

Such hatred of a game by someone posting in a WoW forum. You gotta love the irony of it all: even people who can't stand the game still feel the need to keep posting about it.

:)

• CelestianCelestian Member UncommonPosts: 1,136

Originally posted by davidw123

Such hatred of a game by someone posting in a WoW forum. You gotta love the irony of it all: even people who can't stand the game still feel the need to keep posting about it.

Yeah I'm angry at the games direction. I was told that WoW was going to be a PVP game, after playing Warcraft how could it be anything else?

Instead we get another EQ1 end-game raid clone with some slapped on GW pvp. What, blizzard can't come up with something new so they steal guild wars? Come on this is Warcraft.

I never said I couldn't stand the game. I said it was shallow and uninspired. If it wasn't for the casual friendly nature of the game it'd flop. The best thing blizzard did for MMOs was force other games to become more casual. Unfortunately in WoW once you get to the level cap they went the opposite direction and made everything hard core, gimmicky and dull.

Of course I'll post, I've played this game a lot and have my own feelings about it, duh. It still doesn't change the fact that WoW IS the Mc Donald's of MMO's these days.

Originally posted by Celestian

Originally posted by davidw123

Yeah I'm angry at the games direction. I was told that WoW was going to be a PVP game, after playing Warcraft how could it be anything else?

Instead we get another EQ1 end-game raid clone with some slapped on GW pvp. What, blizzard can't come up with something new so they steal guild wars? Come on this is Warcraft.

I never said I couldn't stand the game. I said it was shallow and uninspired. If it wasn't for the casual friendly nature of the game it'd flop. The best thing blizzard did for MMOs was force other games to become more casual. Unfortunately in WoW once you get to the level cap they went the opposite direction and made everything hard core, gimmicky and dull.

Of course I'll post, I've played this game a lot and have my own feelings about it, duh. It still doesn't change the fact that WoW IS the Mc Donald's of MMO's these days.

Call the game whatever you please.  Fact remains they crush all that dare to touch them.  Talk about a good gimmick

• varnlestoffvarnlestoff Member Posts: 26

damn, well its not like the number of players really matters in the first place, in the millions it just means 80% are off 80% of time while 15% are on occasionally and 5% are on all the time, which is what makes up for the 30 some servers. each server hold about 1k-3k people or somthing, possibly more seeing how this is WOW... still you could play a game like EQ1 with 1/1000th the community and still find a good community on the servers they have. I wuv WoW too much tho.        "  "btw, silly thing, Although one of the worst MMO's in existance, Runescape has over 30 mill subscribers, and almost half are casual players."" ahh fond memories of selling lobsters.

To pay for play, or pay not for play, that is the question.

• cupertinocupertino Member Posts: 1,094

Originally posted by varnlestoff

damn, well its not like the number of players really matters in the first place, in the millions it just means 80% are off 80% of time while 15% are on occasionally and 5% are on all the time, which is what makes up for the 30 some servers. each server hold about 1k-3k people or somthing, possibly more seeing how this is WOW... still you could play a game like EQ1 with 1/1000th the community and still find a good community on the servers they have. I wuv WoW too much tho.        "  "btw, silly thing, Although one of the worst MMO's in existance, Runescape has over 30 mill subscribers, and almost half are casual players."" ahh fond memories of selling lobsters.
    30 servers.. lol

Theres around 250 EU servers and 200 US servers. 

• xxariochxxxxariochxx Member Posts: 97

Even 9million  customers can be morons...

• LucifrankLucifrank Member Posts: 355

That's a pretty amazing number. That means there are more WoW subscribers than there are residents of NYC. Or London. Or Tokyo. That would be a scary city to live in though--the streets would be abandoned and everyone would be parked in front of their computers eating Doritos. It would be fascinating to see a subscriber breakdown per country.

• RaztorRaztor Member Posts: 670

Originally posted by xxariochxx

Even 9million  customers can be morons...
    And cows can fly!

Anyway to more important news, has anyone seen my cookies?

• LydonLydon Member UncommonPosts: 2,938
    Originally posted by varnlestoff

You seem to forget that most people with a brain won't continue to pay for a game that they have no intention of playing. Runescape may have that many subscriptions, but not all of those people are ACTIVE subscribers. I have an account which I stopped using after the first hour or so of gameplay.

now see at least that would have been a improvement flying cows hell those idiots couldnt even come up with something interesting...

• davidw123davidw123 Member Posts: 70

And yet they still managed to hit 9 million whereas none of the other MMOs could reach even half that amount.

Who's the idiot then?

id been saying the ppl that play it lol....most everyone paided 40 bucks for crap...

A good 40 bucks you couldn't afford Way to make yourself look stupid

yeah but you cant fight the fan boys lol.....because according them blizzard can do no wrong lol..so keep paying for it

Fanboys? Where? Oh yes...I forgot. Liking anything officially makes you a fanboy these days! Pretty sad actually that people still use that term thinking it's an insult. Ah, the internet...for when you're feeling down

naw not liking it but actually defending them would make you a fanboy.......lol i could understand if you where defending something worth time and effort to play, but man wow is like a dying cockroach that you just want to crush beneath your feet over, over and over...

• ArchinArchin Member Posts: 103

Now I knew Blizzard had bot problems but holy crap!

A dying cockroach...growing larger and larger and larger. Am I the only one that is missing something here?

• elondorelondor Member Posts: 171

people pick on the person on top, in this case it's blizzard and their hit product wow.  why? it's easy to pick on the person on top.  it's common knowledge and has repeated itself throughout history, because humans are stupid and don't learn from mistakes. 

people need to get over this "this game is too easy" mentality, because if you don't you are in for quite a surprise, because the following generation of games are only going to build upon that ease of playing, why? because the vast majority of players want it... hence the 9 million players.. or "bots" as you die hard haters want to call them. 

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

Interesting news... but you know...unlike previous press releases, they didn't break it down by region... i.e. 1.5 million US, 2.5 million EU and 5 million Asia....

I think sub numbers are declining here in the US..... not that they much care I suppose....  I'm guessing most of the recent growth has been outside of the US....especially since they chose to not break it down....

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon