Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Impact of race/time to train skills

ShadowKntShadowKnt Member Posts: 10

I am considering subscribing to EVE online, and was wondering what the impact of your race is and how long it takes to train up your skills.   From the investigating I've seen you get a handful of skills from the start, many of which are based on your race and "profession".    

Suppose I chose Amaar as my starting race.   How much real life time in training would I need to spend if i wanted to start down the training path to another races set of ships?   How long to go from scratch to the different sized ships?.   I assume it would be wise to pick a style of ships and stick with it, but I like to change things up alot.

I guess I am just trying to get a scope of how much time is needed to play the many aspects of the game.

Comments

• TaramTaram Member CommonPosts: 1,700

Race has nothing to do with anything.  Each race has slightly different starting attributes, however.   Depending how you assign your points to those attributes you can affect how quickly you learn different types of skills.

Intelligence, Memory, Willpower and Perception are generally considered to be the most important skills.  It's hard to say which are THE most important because it varies depending on which skills you intend to focus on.

The skill trees have various statistics as their Primary and Secondary stat requirements.  Good scores in the primary help a lot and good scores in the secondary help as well but not as much.  Anyone will tell you the primaries are much more important than the secondaries.  So what stats you have high vary greatly....

Primary Attributes:

Memory:

Corporation Management, Drones, Industry, Learning,

Intelligence:

Electronics, Engineering, Mechanic, Science, Navigation

Perception:

Gunnery, Missile Launcher Operations, Spaceship Command

Willpower:

Trade

Charisma:

Leadership, Social,

Given the above facts it would appear, at first glance, that everyone should ignore willpower and charisma but this isn't really totally true.  Charisma is routinely considered a 'throw-away' stat by most pilots but if you plan to run a corporation you will need leadership and social skills.  Also charisma can be important for anyone interested in Trade or Manufacturing as a career choice.  Also if you ever plan to be a fleet commander there are numerous leadership skills you need.  That said, typically speaking Charisma IS less important than most other attributes as there are far fewer skills you will need Charisma for. 

That said the same is not true for Willpower.... Trade is really not a very needed skill unless you plan to play the market, be a salesperson etc.  However, that being said, Willpower may not be primary in many areas but it is a secondary stat in more categories than any other, boosting it's value much higher than you would think at first glance.

The other three are obviously important to varrying degrees.  I tend to try to balance the top 4 as much as possible with a slight lean towards Perception as many of the gunnery skills and spaceship skills take excruciatingly long times to train.  Having perception high will help with those 30 day (and some even longer) skills a bunch. 

So my personal priority of stats is:

For a combat oriented character:

Perception, Int, Will, Mem, Cha

For a INDUSTRIAL oriented character:

Int, Will, Mem, Perception, Cha

For a Trade/Leader character:

Int, Cha, Mem, Per, Will

If you plan to be a generalist try to balance your stats as much as possible with a emphasis on perception and int as that will cover MOST areas.  But try to keep your stats relatively balanced over all.  The only 'weak' stat should be charisma and, for a generalist, not that weak.

"A ship-of-war is the best ambassador." - Oliver Cromwell

• ShadowKntShadowKnt Member Posts: 10

Thank you for the reply, but i found most of this by reading the various FAQs.  

What I am specifically asking is if I choose to train up to Cruisers with Amarr, how much time would I need to spend to train up to Cruisers with another race?  I was under the impression that by choosing Amarr as a starting race, I would be grated several Amarr piloting skills as a result, thus not needing as much time to progress higher.

The type of answer i was hopping for was "it will take ~X days of training to offset the skills you get by choosing a race/profession", or "it will take ~Y weeks to start leaning Gallente ships from scratch".

• jposavatzjposavatz Member Posts: 161

I'm not an EVE expert, but I've been playing for a while, and what I can tell you is this - the first step to learning another race's ships is by learning "Frigate" to a certain skill level... for instance to fly the basic newbie frigate for an individual race, you need to have learned that race's frigate skill to Level 2.  That takes about 1 hour (15 minutes for level 1, 45 minutes for level 2).

Obviously as you want to fly more and more complex ships, you'll need to learn more and more complex skills.  So to get from 0 to a battleship is going to take weeks/months (approximately... I don't fly battleships yet, as I've been focusing on the high-end mining ships). 

But in the meantime you need to be out earnng ISK (money) so that you can afford to buy the battleship when your skills are advanced enough anyway.

• TaramTaram Member CommonPosts: 1,700

Originally posted by ShadowKnt

Thank you for the reply, but i found most of this by reading the various FAQs.  

What I am specifically asking is if I choose to train up to Cruisers with Amarr, how much time would I need to spend to train up to Cruisers with another race?  I was under the impression that by choosing Amarr as a starting race, I would be grated several Amarr piloting skills as a result, thus not needing as much time to progress higher.
    The type of answer i was hopping for was "it will take ~X days of training to offset the skills you get by choosing a race/profession", or "it will take ~Y weeks to start leaning Gallente ships from scratch".

Um well depending on what schools you choose in amar you could technically be in a cruiser the day you start (wouldn't be able to fit it particularly well yet but you could be in one).  Same goes for any other race.  If you start caldari you could theoretically be in a caldari cruiser the same day you start, same for gallente, etc.

ALL the races have the ability to focus on various aspects of the game.  They will be taught their racial spaceship command skills to certain levels as well as their racial gunnery skills (missiles/hybrids for Caldari, Drones/Hybrids for Gallente, Lasers for Amarr and Projectiles for Minmatar.  They all receieve training in their race's ships.

If you decide to fly a DIFFERENT race's ships it takes about 2 extra days of training to get to a level where you can fly a cruiser in a race other than your own.  A few hours to train basic skills with that race's weaponry.... other than that everything is 'non racial' and won't matter.

"A ship-of-war is the best ambassador." - Oliver Cromwell

• ShadowKntShadowKnt Member Posts: 10

Thank you.  thats exactly the info I was looking for!   So essentially you lose a day or 2 if you decide to swap ship types from one race to another.

• jposavatzjposavatz Member Posts: 161

Yeah, or not even 1 day... I basically went out recently and bought all of the skills I'd need to learn basic frigates for the other races, and trained all of them up to Level 2 that same day... but if I want to fly the battlships, dreadnoughts, etc. for a new race, that will take a LONG time. 

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435

If you want to fly Frigates, Destroyers and Cruisers you'll find you can switch to another race's ships quite quickly. 

But...once you start going for upper level ships like Battle Cruisers, Battleships, Heavy Assault Frigs and Carriers, the training time can get quite long....so you really should plan on training upper level ships in your primary race (i.e. Caldari) until the day comes when you can afford to train in another. 

Guy in my Corp has been playing for a year, his Caldari pilot can fly up through Ravens quite well, however he's currently training him to fly Gallente Drone Battlleships.....

So you can switch it up a bit... just take training time.   Consider downloading tools like EVEMON, which let you run what-if scenarios for various ships/training plans...you can even download your current skills into them and they'll calculate how long it will take to train up the skills you want/need.

BTW...this is a really nice web page that explains various build choices you can make by race, focusing on both PVE/PVP.....

wiki.goonfleet.com/index.php

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon