Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Vanguard- is it as bad as everyone says?

So I played Vanguard for three months at release, and I re-upped my account last week to see what was new.  Here is a list of my objective observations of Vanguard.

The graphics are very good overall, with some shortcomings and poor animations.  Overall the game looks above average. 

If you have a good computer, the performance is far from silky-smooth, but entirely playable.

There are tons of dungeons to explore, though they are only "average" quality content, nothing ground breaking

There are tons of places to go and see beatiful scenery.

The content is fairly average (quests, diplo, mobs)

Flying mounts are neat (currently rental only).

Nice variety of classes that play very differently, healer classes are fun and badass.

PvP combat works pretty well if you play on a PvP server.

Requires a pretty powerful computer to run decent.

Many glitches and bugs.

Not enough variety of landscape.

Rather slow paced... fails to keep the interest of WoW type MMO gamers.

Housing and Ships were a big disappointment.

World is not as seamless as advertised.. you have to zone, its just pretty quick and the zone lines are invisible

End-game content is virtually non-existant (but isnt it in most MMO's at launch?)

Fans of Vanguard were led to believe the game would be revolutionary and hardcore, it is neither.

I honestly have to say I see Vanguard as an "average" MMO with too many bugs and glitches.  It's not near as bad as most people say, and its not near as good as anyone hoped.  The game is totally playable and even somewhat enjoyable if you have the patience to play a slow paced game that is laden with glitches and bugs. 

Grymm
MMO addict in recovery!
EQ,SWG preCU,L2,EQ2,GW,CoH/CoV,V:SOH,
Aion,AoC,TR,WAR,EVE,BP,RIFT,WoW and others... no more!

Comments

• paulscottpaulscott Member Posts: 5,613

I'm sure it can be an amazing game.

however people staying away does do one good thing.  it will encourage devs and companies to release finished stuff.

I find it amazing that by 2020 first world countries will be competing to get immigrants.

• CharslesTCharslesT Member Posts: 366

It is not as bad as you read about. 

It was not as good as you read about, pre-release, either.   The graphics are good, the community is good, everyone seems to like the classes for the most part.  I think a better value is EQ 2 or even SWG. 

Boycott EA Games. RIP Sim City.

• Swiftblade13Swiftblade13 Member Posts: 638

Yep, I agree that EQ2, WoW, and LOTRO are all better because they are complete and polished.... but compared to many other MMO failures Vanguard really isnt that terrible....

It's just terrible in comparison to what we were expecting. 

Grymm
    MMO addict in recovery!

• HonosHonos Member Posts: 93

Well, I played Vanguard from release for about 2 months.  In my opinion, it is as bad as people say.  The product was completely unfinished and I had such high hopes for it my mmo for years to come.  I mean it was suppose to be the "3rd generation of MMO's."  It turned out to be a steaming pile of doggy do-do.

Here is why I disliked it, and this is my personal opinion, so you can it with a grain of salt.

1.) Graphics are good, but not as great as people say.  I mean when they said seamless world I expected not to "zone" as I was passing a chunk.  A chuck that I could visible see.  As I said, the graphics were good, but not great.

2.) Performance was terrible!  It was worse in Beta, and got better.  However, it was no where near any it should have been.  Saying something improved, and thus is good doesn't dismiss the fact it was seriously terrible to begin with.

3.) It was boring to start with.  I felt to purpose or immersion with the storyline at the start.  I had to search for storyline instead of being thrust into it.  I play a MMO for the storyline, not the raiding.

Now, it did have many features I adore.  It liked the more difficult death penalty, no instances,  harder travel (till the rift stones).  In the end what really killed the game for this player though was the lack of population.  My server was a ghost town.  I want to play with others, not alone. 

Past: EQ, EQ2, DAoC, SWG, WoW, LotR, VG, WAR, GW, GW2, Rift
    Present: The Elder Scrolls Online
    Future: Everquest Next

• Swiftblade13Swiftblade13 Member Posts: 638

"I play a MMO for the storyline, not the raiding."

Here is where you and I have fundamental differences.  When I play an mmo I don't want storyline, I want free roaming and exploration...  I just want to live an alternate life in a fantasy world.  I like learning the lore of a world etc. but I dont want any storyline that I progress through.

I also left because it became a ghost town, I play MMO's for the social aspect, and once all my friends left I was finished.

Grymm
    MMO addict in recovery!

• ChessackChessack Member Posts: 978

Originally posted by Swiftblade13

Vanguard really isnt that terrible....
     It's just terrible in comparison to what we were expecting. 

That's true. And, it's terrible in comparison to the 30 million bucks they spent on it. For the amount of money, time, and hype they put out, people were expecting an A+ game, and got a C+  or maybe a B- game. And that is why they are so vitriolic.

C

• moostownmoostown Member CommonPosts: 377

Problem is the game feels like it came from 1999 and not 2007, this day and age we expect high quality and more innovative.

• AstropuyoAstropuyo Member RarePosts: 2,178

VG is what happens when a company half asses a release.

VG is what happens when you give players too much freedom to do whatever without any form of direction.

Those two things alone are just my observation but it seems the main killer of the game, that an even with a "Epic" PC it still lags like hell.