Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Vanguard no more =(

ShatterShatter Member Posts: 172

Well i logged into Vanguard today after not playing for a few weeks cause of work andf familly. Ussualy saturdays are a good day to find some groups to join but i logged in to one of the most popular zoned today and there was only 6 people.. That to me says the game is about to die.
I haven't been following any of the new games that are up and comeing lately. Any suggestions one what game is looking good that is out or goin to be comeing out?

Comments

• BuzWeaverBuzWeaver Member UncommonPosts: 978

The game is on SOE Life Support.

The Old Timers Guild
    Laid back, not so serious, no drama.
    All about the fun!

www.oldtimersguild.com
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it. - Jef Mallett

• SamuraiswordSamuraisword Member Posts: 2,111
    Originally posted by BuzWeaver

More like the kiss of death.

• obiiobii Member UncommonPosts: 804

How many games has SOE actually cancelled?

I play UO from EA and they killed off 2 mmorpgs already.

For Vanguard I think it will find a niche to survive, but it seems the concept was not as good as the developers believed.

• LionexxLionexx Member UncommonPosts: 680
    Originally posted by Samuraisword

Playing: Everthing
    Played: DAoC,AC2,EvE,SWG,WAR,MXO,CoX,EQ2,L2,LOTRO,SB,UO,WoW.
    I have played every MMO that has ever come out.

• herculeshercules Member UncommonPosts: 4,924

great so SoE now to blame because they are trying to save the game from sigil's blunder

• tylerwicktylerwick Member Posts: 446
    Originally posted by hercules

great so SoE now to blame because they are trying to save the game from sigil's blunder

As far as I know its SOE's fault it was released too early.   They have not tried to save anything, just open asap for a profit.

• mdolsenmdolsen Member Posts: 47
    Originally posted by tylerwick

As far as I know its SOE's fault it was released too early.   They have not tried to save anything, just open asap for a profit.

That is a total fallacy.  You obviously haven't paid attention to a thing regarding vanguard for months.

• CharslesTCharslesT Member Posts: 366

It was released early because the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of Sigil was not capable of providing the direction and guidance needed.  The CEO wanted a huge but empty world.  Graphics so good that a minority could experience. 

Earn an MBA, from any school, before embarking on projects like this, esp. if you are the CEO.  You will be able to "think" about these things better in terms of time, resources, motivation, what is practical and profitable from what is ideal.  Sigil's CEO was going for the "ideal" on so many things from a "seamless" world to a giant world that no one can get around to, etc. 

Boycott EA Games. RIP Sim City.

• M1sf1tM1sf1t Member UncommonPosts: 1,583

Originally posted by BuzWeaver The game is on SOE Life Support.

As far as I know its SOE's fault it was released too early. They have not tried to save anything, just open asap for a profit.

It was released early because Sigil already spent 5 years and 30 million dollars and had little to show for this game. This is why they were dumped by their first publisher Microsoft. Venture capitalists and customers are not going to wait around for you to flesh out your "Vision". Sigil had to ship it's game out before it was done because they could not stall any longer as they were quickly falling in debt.

The only reason why SOE picked up this title and became the publisher and then later bought out Sigil was because Sigil's CEO Brad was good friends with Smedly from SOE. SOE should of just let it die IMHO and should of never of burden themselves with Vangaurd:Saga of Beta Bugs.

Games I've played/tried out:WAR, LOTRO, Tabula Rasa, AoC, EQ1, EQ2, WoW, Vangaurd, FFXI, D&DO, Lineage 2, Saga Of Ryzom, EvE Online, DAoC, Guild Wars,Star Wars Galaxies, Hell Gate London, Auto Assault, Grando Espada ( AKA SoTNW ), Archlord, CoV/H, Star Trek Online, APB, Champions Online, FFXIV, Rift Online, GW2.

Game(s) I Am Currently Playing:

GW2 (+LoL and BF3)

• lomillerlomiller Member Posts: 1,810

Sigil wasted $35 million, ran out of money and got dumped by Microsoft for mismanagement so they went to SoE to bail them out. SoE told them how much money they were prepared to invest, and Sigil used that to set the release date. Short of giving them a bottomless money pit and throwing away tens of millions of dollars the way Microsoft did there is nothing SoE could have done regarding the “early” release. 

• mk11232mk11232 Member Posts: 217

well if thats all you know then you don't know crap becuase its plain what happened with the history of vanguard and if your too stupid to take the time to read and figure out what happened with the game then please for the sake of all of us don't open your mouth and spew the crap thats inside you

• SramotaSramota Member Posts: 756

It's still about money in the end and Brad sure knows how to spend them..
    Make them? Not so much...

So, yeah, one might blame SOE for it,
    but five years ?
    Heck not even Blizzard takes that to put something out.
    WoW took 3 years from announcement to release.... (2001-2004)

Played so far: 9Dragons, AO, AC, AC2, CoX, DAoC, DF, DnL, DR, DDO, Ent, EvE, EQ, EQ2, FoMK, FFO, Fury, GW, HG:L, HZ, L1, L2, M59, MU, NC1, NC2, PS, PT, R:O, RF:O, RYL, Ryzom, SL, SB, SW:G, TR, TCoS, MX:O, UO, VG, WAR, WoW...
    It all sucked.

• RemaliRemali Member RarePosts: 914

Originally posted by mdolsen

That is a total fallacy.  You obviously haven't paid attention to a thing regarding vanguard for months.

Oh please soe are the good guys now? If they had any dignity they would have left vanturd die when ms droped them instead of taking it themselves.They knew the game was crap ,they know there is no way it can be saved but of course it was good bussiness for them to earn a few bucks from vanguard due to the hype the game had...and if you think they spend a lot of resourses on it you're wrong.

If soe cared in the least about the quality of the games they are shoveling at their customers they would have never "tried to save" vanguard and i would have more respect for them

• ZAGANZAGAN Member Posts: 236

well now lets see........... Oblivion had massive and still has some bugs,BUT i love the game because it's a good game.

Gothic # 3 is in the same Boat and i love it as well. The funny thing is everyone keeps saying that none or near to none play the game Vanguard and it's full of bugs.

Dagnabbit it sounds like the two games i like a lot so MAYBE it's time to go get it  ( it's Playable, Solo Playable as well and NONE play the game) maybe i should get it. I like Solo and i like to see the game not PL or BOT my way through. (chuckles) going to EB.

• ZharZhar Member UncommonPosts: 58

I would aplaude SOE for trying to resurrect the game, and I think they've done a good job so far.

And you'r saying that SOE don't care about quality, if I'm not reading wrong EQ2 is the top rated game here on mmorpg.com, unlike the totaly over-rated WOW.

• RemaliRemali Member RarePosts: 914

Originally posted by ZAGAN

well now lets see........... Oblivion had massive and still has some bugs,BUT i love the game because it's a good game.
    Gothic # 3 is in the same Boat and i love it as well. The funny thing is everyone keeps saying that none or near to none play the game Vanguard and it's full of bugs.
    Dagnabbit it sounds like the two games i like a lot so MAYBE it's time to go get it  ( it's Playable, Solo Playable as well and NONE play the game) maybe i should get it. I like Solo and i like to see the game not PL or BOT my way through. (chuckles) going to EB.
    OK since you like games that are crap compared to their predecesors (oblivion and gothic3 compared to morrowind daggerfall and gothic 1&2) you'll love vanguard as well its crap compared to everything before it so enjoy :)

Btw bugs have nothing to do with a game being good or not and ppl will not stop playing because of bugs.Ill give you an example : when  fallout2 was released it was one of the most bug infested games of all time (and i had the 1.01 version) did it stop ppl from playing and loving the game? NO It is praised as one of the best rpg ever and rightly so

• quixadhalquixadhal Member UncommonPosts: 215

Having been bitten by SOE with both Star Wars Galaxies and Everquest II (which was pretty bad in the first few months), I was pretty dubious of giving Vanguard a chance after they announced the SOE deal.  Despite that, I played for four months and enjoyed the game quite a bit.  The lag was horrible (and while improved, still sucked in April).  There were lots of bugs, many showstoppers.  Many promised features were not in the game.  Even so, it was still fun to play with only one major problem which caused me to cancel... too few players.

Quite a bit of the content in Vanguard was designed for groups, which kindof requires a decent sized player base.  Also, I've always been a crafter in games which had any kind of economy, and with so few players (most of them high level "hardcore" folks), the market economy falls apart.

So, when I heard they were considering merging servers, I bought a single 30-day Game Time Card and put it on my desk.  There it sits, waiting for the server merge dust to settle.  If the population isn't high enough after that, then Vanguard is dead and I can reclaim 17G of space from my hard drive.

Amazingly enough, I really don't fault SOE for this.  They *could* have given Sigil more cash to avoid a bad launch, but considering the state of the game (a 1 man QA department?  Come ON!), I wouldn't have done so either.  Had Brad been forced to realize how bad things really were sooner, they might have concluded the full SOE takeover months earlier and launch might have been acceptable.

• ormstungaormstunga Member Posts: 736

Originally posted by Remali

Oh please soe are the good guys now? If they had any dignity they would have left vanturd die when ms droped them instead of taking it themselves.They knew the game was crap ,they know there is no way it can be saved but of course it was good bussiness for them to earn a few bucks from vanguard due to the hype the game had...and if you think they spend a lot of resourses on it you're wrong.

If soe cared in the least about the quality of the games they are shoveling at their customers they would have never "tried to save" vanguard and i would have more respect for them
    Ofc it's about money lol! Most companys try to make money actually... and I'm sure SOE cares very little for your 'respect'. No offence ofc  

And I'm also pretty sure those ppl who _actually play_ vanguard and enjoy it are glad SOE picked it up. I'm thinking they dont give a f*ck about what you think, since clearly you dont play it.  

• tallshortguytallshortguy Member Posts: 92
    Originally posted by Zhar

I would aplaude SOE for trying to resurrect the game, and I think they've done a good job so far.
    And you'r saying that SOE don't care about quality, if I'm not reading wrong EQ2 is the top rated game here on mmorpg.com, unlike the totaly over-rated WOW.

Yes you are reading it wrong. EQ2 is tied with about 5 other games for the top spot. Check the ratings; they're on the home page and right out in the open so they're not hard to fine. As you can see, several games are tied at 8.3.

In the end, logic and reason always beat out fanboys.

• sonicboomsonicboom Member Posts: 29

on life-support along SWG's  to bad that a great game with lot of  potential what a waste...

This is the part where cameron goes berserk!

• SigneSigne Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,524

I wonder.  If Vanguard is really doing that bad and costing SOE money, why not announce a date they'll bin it, offer those still playing some amount of free EQ2 time or some other SOE game, or even a month or so of Station Pass to choose a new game and put the poor thing out of it's misery.  They'll even save a bit of dosh when they get to sack the ex-Sigil employees.  Sounds like a good SOE stunt to me!  Dunno... maybe it's what they were kind of hoping for.

I have to say that SOE acts like a typical corporation to me.  I don't expect it, as an entity, to have feelings.  The day it channels it's profits into feeding starving children, I'll admire it.  The day it decides to sell blood diamonds or deny people life saving medical treatment because it costs too much, I'll consider it evil.  Until then, it's just some company that makes as much profit for it's share holders as it possibly can, without much regard for anyone else, and gives pittance to charitable organisations for tax purposes and good publicity. 

Yeah, well... I'm sort of cynical today.  I guess I'm in a mood.  Birthdays do that to me. 

• Swiftblade13Swiftblade13 Member Posts: 638

Originally posted by obii

How many games has SOE actually cancelled?

I play UO from EA and they killed off 2 mmorpgs already.
    For Vanguard I think it will find a niche to survive, but it seems the concept was not as good as the developers believed.

Actually I think its more like the concept was nothing like the product delivered =P

Grymm
    MMO addict in recovery!
    EQ,SWG preCU,L2,EQ2,GW,CoH/CoV,V:SOH,
    Aion,AoC,TR,WAR,EVE,BP,RIFT,WoW and others... no more!

• ZAGANZAGAN Member Posts: 236

Daggerfall was a great game and still is on my AMD 550, but it as well as all new games are bugged to the Hilt. Morrowind and the assassin exp was great fun, as well as Gothic 2 (sry missed 1). I wish D@L would make a Boxed version of that game, the massive landscape took me three days to go from one end to the other, Handglider used as well but no balloons or griff or anything but footsie power. another game shot down because of Bugs  and people that did not understand the concept of the game. Look ma i am killing everything and none love me. in 99% of every game out there you run out the door and start wacking away 1% comes along and does something STRANGE (make people think) and what do you get. I DONT LIKE IT. me, myself and i loved the concept. why because I am I and you are you. and you are right and i am wrong but that only exists in your mind. yes all three of us. (chuckles)

• herculeshercules Member UncommonPosts: 4,924

As far as YOU know.People who read around know better

knowledge is power my friend

• ormstungaormstunga Member Posts: 736
    Originally posted by tallshortguy

Originally posted by Zhar

Yes you are reading it wrong. EQ2 is tied with about 5 other games for the top spot. Check the ratings; they're on the home page and right out in the open so they're not hard to fine. As you can see, several games are tied at 8.3.

the tied games are not posted alphabetically so they could be going by decimals... in which case the ranking is correct, only they dont show the decimals for convenience, making SOTNW number 1 and EQ2 in 2nd as I write this. But who's to say