Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for a Sci Fi MMORPG

I've played a few fantasy  MMORPGs, and City of Heroes, but I'm a big Sci Fi fan, and i haven't played any Sci Fi MMORPGs. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Agricola1Agricola1 Member UncommonPosts: 4,977

I suppose EVE is the best Sci-FI MMO out there, so check out the EVE forums.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience"

CS Lewis

• ZorvanZorvan Member CommonPosts: 8,912

Anarchy Online is the best.

I'll give EvE second.

• JerryBluemoonJerryBluemoon Member Posts: 5

Best Sci-fi ever made will be releasd soon, its called Tabula Rasa, made by NCsoft. Is a combination things of Starship troopers and Star Trek in a mmo style, beta testing at moment.

• xxthecorexxxxthecorexx Member Posts: 1,078

have you tried SWG ?

i think there's a free demo for it.

• MasterExplodMasterExplod Member Posts: 6

Eve is best for Sci-fi play, maybe Tabula Rasa but it's like an FPS and not a RPG.

It says 100% guarantee!
    Sir, if you don't shut up I'll kick 100% of your arse!

• METALDRAG0NMETALDRAG0N Member Posts: 1,680
    Originally posted by Phenomen

Best Sci-fi ever made will be releasd soon, its called Tabula Rasa, made by NCsoft. Is a combination things of Starship troopers and Star Trek in a mmo style, beta testing at moment.

He said he was looking for a MMORPG not a MMORTS 

And besides its not even at beta yet let alone out.

"Kill one man, and you are a murderer. Kill millions of men, and you are a conqueror. Kill them all, and you are a god."
    -- Jean Rostand

• vajurasvajuras Member Posts: 2,860

Originally posted by MasterExplod

Eve is best for Sci-fi play, maybe Tabula Rasa but it's like an FPS and not a RPG.
    its not an FPS its an RPG for sure. seen it at E3 and played it. it has some elements form both worlds

tabula rasa is in beta atm so i dont think it applies to this thread right

• JerryBluemoonJerryBluemoon Member Posts: 5

Tabula Rasa is a RPG, dosnt mtter if they have guns not bow and crossbows. Tabula Rasa game construction, including characters skills, chracters profesions, faction, comunity base ar factors that suport the Rpg game style. The game is not based only on shooting, like CS, UT or AvsP, is based on character progresion with a story in a fight against evil  nature, beasts, aliens, etc.

Is apply for these topic

Looking for a Sci Fi MMORPG

coz, the game is already made , close beta will finish next month. NCsoft anounced at E3 that the game will be availeble in autumn after releasing GW-eye of the north.

IF you love these type of sci-fi  rpg with rts elements then try Tabula Rasa. Like i sayd the game have a very strong rpg story, is somthng like starcraft + starship troopers in a 3d rpg.

• TorakTorak Member Posts: 4,905

Originally posted by MasterExplod

TR is played completely in the 3rd person, therefore its not a FPS (first person shooter)

Its controls however are a bit of a mix between an FPS setup and an RPG. There is Autolock so its NOT twitch. You can watch several dev gameplay interviews to confirm this.

OP, a good Sci-Fi? Unfortunately right now we are pretty limited. SWG is "ok" its quest driven now but still has some sandbox qualities hidden in there, EVE is alright but its an open sandbox and PvP centric so it really depends on your playstyle. Thats really all there is out there aside from Phantasy Star and Anarchy which I never played.

Keep and eye on Tabula Rasa and Fallen Earth.

Originally posted by METALDRAGON

Huh? Were do you get Tabula Rasa is RTS?

• dterrydterry Member Posts: 449

And someday... Warhammer 40,000 ... is it to soon to start a countdown calendar when they haven't even started writing code yet?

• SolrekSolrek Member Posts: 63

Try Eve Online, it has a trial. Eve is one of my favorite MMOGs. It is a deep game.

Try Anarchy Online, it is free. I have tried it twice, but never got really into it. I just got an offer for an upgrade, so may try again.

Try Tabula Rasa when it comes out. If you like WoW, you may like it, but it has insane minimum hardware requirements and is basically a WoW clone with guns and minimal to no PvP.

A few years ago I would have said SWG was king for Sci-Fi, but let's not bring that one up...

World Builder GM
    Hero's Journey

Originally posted by dterry

And someday... Warhammer 40,000 ... is it to soon to start a countdown calendar when they haven't even started writing code yet?

Yes, this could be major. I play the miniatures and all the RTS versions, so am looking forward to this and am happy Relic got the license.

World Builder GM
    Hero's Journey
  • HolyPsychoHolyPsycho Member Posts: 1

Originally posted by Solrek

Try Eve Online, it has a trial. Eve is one of my favorite MMOGs. It is a deep game.
    Try Anarchy Online, it is free. I have tried it twice, but never got really into it. I just got an offer for an upgrade, so may try again.
    Try Tabula Rasa when it comes out. If you like WoW, you may like it, but it has insane minimum hardware requirements and is basically a WoW clone with guns and minimal to no PvP.
    A few years ago I would have said SWG was king for Sci-Fi, but let's not bring that one up...
    TR, a game from richard without PvP...never:)  TR is nais, ya should try it and it has nothing and i say NOTHING that makes ya think

its a wow-clone...its more like a shooter-rpg and its fun...

RealLife is like an RPG, nice graphics but a damn story!

• CharslesTCharslesT Member Posts: 366

I tried EVE and disliked it.  I think you should give SWG a shot.  Awesome game.

Boycott EA Games. RIP Sim City.

• BombastussBombastuss Member UncommonPosts: 158

I'll prolly get flamed for this but I think RF is really fun.

• valunvalun Member UncommonPosts: 203
    Anarchy Online is only sci-fi worth of playing atm.Btw I think there was best character skill system,when your class affected only skills leveling cost, before addons NW SL AI.

Are you stupid? Do you think i'm gonna waste my life for real life?image
  • SorontarSorontar Member Posts: 19

If you are like a little Cyberpunk then you could always look at Neocron 2.2, take a look to see if they have a trial.

Originally posted by Sorontar

If you are like a little Cyberpunk then you could always look at Neocron 2.2, take a look to see if they have a trial.

Thanks, I'm a big Cyberpunk fan, love William Gibson's work. I think I will try this one out.

World Builder GM
    Hero's Journey
  • pirateerpirateer Member UncommonPosts: 219

I like Sci-Fi games too, and I'm waiting fo Infinity to come out. Until then I play Voyage Century, Guild Wars, and Tantra Online. MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA

• JheregJhereg Member UncommonPosts: 55
    Originally posted by METALDRAG0N

And besides its not even at beta yet let alone out.

Get your facts straight.  Tabula Rasa is not an RTS!! 

• faseleifaselei Member UncommonPosts: 155

Looking for a decent sci-fi MMO? Join the club. I have been really actively searching for months. All i want is an EVE without the mining and the ability to get out of your damn ship.

Seriously this is a massive gap in the market, there are a few, but not many good ones. Theres tons in development but not scheduled for release years. Gah!