Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Build me a computer

LoD254LoD254 Member Posts: 373

Alright lets pretend i have about $1000. If your a little oveer, to like $1200 thats fine. Take anything from my current computer that you want. Honestly most of it is junk because its a prebuilt no name brand and all i put in it was a Radeon 9000pro.

I'm going to need a new computer for college enxt year.

Comments

• DjinDjin Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,263

Look at my signature.  This cost me $1050.

You can get the top of the line stuff for cheaper or the same PC I have for $800...

It's fun building a PC for $1000.

What will he do next?
  • LoD254LoD254 Member Posts: 373
    Thanks Djin. This stuff will probably be second nature to me in a year. I'm going to college for Information Technolgy. If i dislike it its a quick transfer to CS or Programming.

• methane47methane47 Member CommonPosts: 3,701

Dude I'm telling you from Experience Cuz I'm a Junior Comp Sci right now... If you want to learn about computers you have to do it on your own time... Sure the corses you take teach you stuff... But TRUST me.. they will not go in depth until later down the line... So from now start trying to learn every thing... It's worth it... Cuz you won't have to learn it later (when you're expected to know it already)

Oh I built this computer (It was my first try) 2 years ago....

I'm too lazy to write the specifics but they are...

P4 2400 Mhz;
    GForce 4 MMX 440;
    512 DDRAM;
    FSB -> 333;
    80 gig HD;
    DVD-Rom;
    CD-RW;

EDIT: it came out to about 900 bucks

now that was 2 to 2 1/2 years ago... on my first TRY... My room mate bought a computer from Dell in the fall and he's already had to replace it (yes brand new) twice..... First day he got it, it had a problem with the Power, then The computer just stopped working.... AND NOW my computer is Still kicking and strong and his computer can barely play Unreal Tornament 2003... NOW THAT's SAD... well for my Standards atleast... Oh and his computer has basically the same stuff that mine has... just cheaper dell crap.... it's sad... really

Click Here --->Just one of those days<--- Click Here

What's your Wu Name?
    Donovan --> Wu Name = Violent Knight
    Methane47 --> Wu Name = Thunderous Leader
    "Some people call me the walking plank, 'cuz any where you go... Death is right behind you.."
    <i>ME<i>

What's your Wu Name?
    "Some people call me the walking plank, 'cuz any where you go... Death is right behind you.."
    <i>ME<i>

If you've used LEGOs, you can build a computer...  it's not rocket science.  image

What will he do next?

MAN I LOVE LEGOS...............

sowwie image

What's your Wu Name?
    <i>ME<i>

What's your Wu Name?
    <i>ME<i>

Some sites about me...

http://photos.yahoo.com/mattfusco

http://profiles.yahoo.com/djdjin21

http://DjDjin.djcentral.com

You can see my PC being built at the YAHOO site [mattfusco].

What will he do next?
    AMEN! imageimage

What will he do next?
  • DarkAngel_PEDarkAngel_PE Member Posts: 6

Originally posted by Gunblade

Don't go with shitty intel.

I agree with Gunblade. Intel really sucks. It's far more expensive and slower than the AMD. At least by my comparison. GO with the AMD 64 it's speed is awsome. I personally have the AMD Athlon 64 -3400+ So by all means Go AMD all the way.   image

I can't wait untill 64 bit software comes out to utilize the hardware...  I heard FarCry is making a patch that's going to use all of the AMD 64 power!

MUAHAHAHA! image

What will he do next?
    I agree!!!.... but i still have a Pentium 4 though.... image the Intel 64 bits are cool too there's just no support for them anywhere.... Intel isn't that bad COME ON... But when it comes to bang for your buck... AMD is the way....the truth... and the LIFE... WHERE"S REVERAND DAN TO BACK ME UP?!?!

What's your Wu Name?
    <i>ME<i>

What's your Wu Name?
    <i>ME<i>

AMD is the smarter choice.

What will he do next?
    Give it time... Hopefully MS doesn't screw this up to bad.

What will he do next?
  • DarkAngel_PEDarkAngel_PE Member Posts: 6

FAR CRY  awsome and if there is a patch to use what the 64 has to offer..... It will be mind boggling.  image

Soon young paddawan...

They are making it!!! image

What will he do next?
  • FinweFinwe Member CommonPosts: 3,106

Dude. Athlons are crap. You definitely get what you pay for. I have a 1800 athlon and it locks up unless I set the clock speed to 1000.

They're slower, they're crappier, less quality. etc.

"The greatest trick the devil played on humanity in the 20th century was convincing them that he didnt exist." (Paraphrasing) C.S. Lewis

"The greatest trick the devil played on humanity in the 20th century was convincing them that he didn't exist." (Paraphrasing) C.S. Lewis

"If a mother can kill her own child, what is left before I kill you and you kill me?" -Mother Teresa when talking about abortion after accepting the Nobel Peace Prize in 1979

Well in my opinion the older AMD's were crap especially the 2000 and less... But now with the higher AMD processors they are really giving Intel a challenge.. Both processors have their strengths and weeknesses....

What's your Wu Name?
    <i>ME<i>

What's your Wu Name?
    <i>ME<i>

• MunkiMunki Member CommonPosts: 2,128

Well the AMD is a little better if you plan on overclocking.

But you do get what you pay for, so unless you cant afford it, or you plan on overclocking you processor heavily, Id say go Pentium.

I have an AMD lol, but then again I overclock.
    My next upgrade is gona be when Intel releases there 64 bit chip.

Untill then Im getting a new Asus with PCI express.

after 6 or so years, I had to change it a little...

My AMD is awesome.  It's as fast as a 3.2Ghz and only cost me $91.  Why on Earth would I want to spend $300 plus for the same performance?

What will he do next?
  • FinweFinwe Member CommonPosts: 3,106

Originally posted by Djin
    My AMD is awesome.  It's as fast as a 3.2Ghz and only cost me $91.  Why on Earth would I want to spend $300 plus for the same performance?

Whod you steal it from and where are they?!

"The greatest trick the devil played on humanity in the 20th century was convincing them that he didnt exist." (Paraphrasing) C.S. Lewis

"The greatest trick the devil played on humanity in the 20th century was convincing them that he didn't exist." (Paraphrasing) C.S. Lewis

"If a mother can kill her own child, what is left before I kill you and you kill me?" -Mother Teresa when talking about abortion after accepting the Nobel Peace Prize in 1979

• AleisterAleister Member Posts: 208

hmm if youre willing to overclock

dfi lanparty ultra II revB

amd athlon 2600+ xp mobile(yes thats mobile,6 better overclocking because its unlocked)

a decent cooler(not sure, but thermalright sp94 and a good fan will do) and arctic silver ceramique(since its your first time,6 this is not conductive and very good thermal transfer too)

1gb dual channel ram kit(512x2 that is) pc 3200 with low latency, someone can help with you the brand i'm not sure but mushkin and corsair are good

radeon 9800 pro (can get it refurbished at newegg.com) get the 256 bit verison, not the 128

Sound Blaster audigy2 zs **optional

Surround system of choice**optional

2x seagate 80gb SATA 8mb cache harddisks(run them raid0 config)

that should be about 850 without the opt. parts

and if you want a monitor, i'd say go lcd or go big(compaq p1210 or a viewsonic)

Shit i'm bad... I self educated myself in ways of controlling feelings, now nothing feels like it's true... gotta be an assasin or sumtin.

-----------------------
    ....must ....play .....WoWimage

• Amd64_FX_53Amd64_FX_53 Member Posts: 421

Originally posted by Djin

dude,ur Cpu sucks.......image

intel sucks even with their 3.6

Imperium Acranum rapped me

Originally posted by Aleister

hmm if youre willing to overclock
    dfi lanparty ultra II revB
    amd athlon 2600+ xp mobile(yes thats mobile,6 better overclocking because its unlocked)
    a decent cooler(not sure, but thermalright sp94 and a good fan will do) and arctic silver ceramique(since its your first time,6 this is not conductive and very good thermal transfer too)
    1gb dual channel ram kit(512x2 that is) pc 3200 with low latency, someone can help with you the brand i'm not sure but mushkin and corsair are good
    radeon 9800 pro (can get it refurbished at newegg.com) get the 256 bit verison, not the 128
    Sound Blaster audigy2 zs **optional
    Surround system of choice**optional
    2x seagate 80gb SATA 8mb cache harddisks(run them raid0 config)
    that should be about 850 without the opt. parts
    and if you want a monitor, i'd say go lcd or go big(compaq p1210 or a viewsonic)

Shit i'm bad... I self educated myself in ways of controlling feelings, now nothing feels like it's true... gotta be an assasin or sumtin.

My 2500+ was unlocked.  It's the motherboard that unlocks them... so even if you're having an issue, buy yourself a good motherboard... Also LCDs are crap.  They have shitty refresh rates and don't really look good when playing a fast pasted game. . .

And my CPU doesn't suck btw AMD...

What will he do next?