Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WoW is a lotro clone

JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321

seriously , read here how WoW is copying LoTRO, One has to wonder if EQIi will implement chicken play  and eve will add intergalactic player generated music channels?

my.mmoabc.com/article/gany22/1390.html

I miss DAoC

Comments

• Carl132pCarl132p Member UncommonPosts: 538

LOTRO is a LOTR CLONE OMG

anyway haveing said that WoW is just catching up with what should be the norm by now...

• METALDRAG0NMETALDRAG0N Member Posts: 1,680
    Originally posted by Jackdog

seriously , read here how WoW is copying LoTRO, One has to wonder if EQIi will implement chicken play  and eve will add intergalactic player generated music channels?
    my.mmoabc.com/article/gany22/1390.html

Whats that exactly?

"Kill one man, and you are a murderer. Kill millions of men, and you are a conqueror. Kill them all, and you are a god."
    -- Jean Rostand

• RebelexRebelex Member Posts: 5

Guild bank systems have been a part of EQ2 for a while, and i could be wrong but doesnt DDO have voice chat, therefore not really sure how WoW could be ripping of LoTR (never played it, but im sure they borrowed ideas from other games). I believe most games take features from each other, perhaps not morally right, but in the end, better for players.  Innovation, like the chicken play is cool, but to say one game is an innovator is always going to be debatable.

• lordsn0wlordsn0w Member Posts: 99

Hasnt guild banks appeared in other mmo's?....

Shit it sure has so then Lotro is a clone of other mmos...BURRRNNNNNN the devs.

have you heard of team speak or ventrilo? seems like game companys are just making it easier for the players to talk to each other.

• Darksider25Darksider25 Member Posts: 93

The most obvious "rip off" that Blizzard admits to has nothing to do with LOTR, but the Warhammer Universe, specifically the table top game.  Games Workshop took it as flattery....

• SramotaSramota Member Posts: 756

Guildbanks and voice chat are LOTRO exclusive nowadays?
    Hell I've been using Vent and TS for ages, long before LOTRO was even thought of...

And guild banks?
    Seriously..

*sniff sniff*
    Smells blind fanboi here..

Played so far: 9Dragons, AO, AC, AC2, CoX, DAoC, DF, DnL, DR, DDO, Ent, EvE, EQ, EQ2, FoMK, FFO, Fury, GW, HG:L, HZ, L1, L2, M59, MU, NC1, NC2, PS, PT, R:O, RF:O, RYL, Ryzom, SL, SB, SW:G, TR, TCoS, MX:O, UO, VG, WAR, WoW...
    It all sucked.

• RavkeenRavkeen Member UncommonPosts: 310

Now WOW copyed the Guild Bank Idea off of Daoc

Hi I'm Ravkeen! image

Emilia_Emi Lvl 56 Witch
    Now Playing : Black Desert Online
    "America is not at war, the US Military is at war, America is at the mall."

• Darkseth12Darkseth12 Member Posts: 148

i really dont know how wow is copying lotro..

• RavkeenRavkeen Member UncommonPosts: 310
    Originally posted by Darkseth12

i really dont know how wow is copying lotro..

For real because Guild Bank came out in DAOC TOA and then they made the Money Guild Bank in Darkness Raising way before LOTRO even came out. and there always been voice chat.

Hi I'm Ravkeen! image

Emilia_Emi Lvl 56 Witch
    Now Playing : Black Desert Online
    "America is not at war, the US Military is at war, America is at the mall."

• Gules_AspenGules_Aspen Member Posts: 273

Correct. Guild banks were in DAOC, and are also in EQ2. Built-in voice was in DDO long  ago. This is just another example of a ridiculous fanboi claim trying to make the most bland and derivative game ever look innovative. And that's hard to do when it's nothing but Silkroad in Middle-Earth.

EDIT: Oh, and session play has been done. In EQ2, when the gods were returning, there was a Tunarean quest where you were transported and played as a historic figure instead of as your character. Wow, yet another 'innovation' for the LOTRO team!

• tallshortguytallshortguy Member Posts: 92

Eh, either way you look at it pretty much every game was a clone of its predecessors and it just added a few innovative or polished features. It's not like the idea of guilds or guild banks originated in MMOs anyways. Although most MMORPGs nowadays take their roots from EQ, EQ also took many things from meridian 59 and UO. They, in turn, took ideas from the old MUD and rogue-like games which took their basic ideas from PnP games which probably got ideas from earlier fantasy books. Honestly you can probably say most games now are copied from another.

Besides that, trust me, LoTRO isn't doing too many super innovative things besides releasing a pretty polished and smooth launch. Wasn't monster play in the original EQ's expansions? Well I guess the chicken thing wasn't exactly original now was it? Besides that, several games, both MMOs and non MMOs, have integrated voice chat. CS and other FPS games have built-in voice chat so don't think that Turbine has some sort of copyright on that idea. Also, vent and TS were in long before Turbine put in voice-chat in DDO or LoTRO so they just slightly streamlined something that was already mainstream in most MMOs.

In the end, logic and reason always beat out fanboys.

• JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321

the definition of irony: A contrast or an incongruity between what is stated and what is really meant, or between what is expected to happen and what actually does happen. Two kinds of irony are: 1) verbal irony, in which a writer or speaker says one thing and means something entirely different; and 2) dramatic irony in which a reader or audience member perceives something that a character in the story does not

library.thinkquest.org/23846/library/terms/

I cannot believe that anyone took that post seriously, never mind I just remembered where I am. I also guess they think that whatever they post here actually means something Goback and read some of the pre release Dark and Light forum archives boys and girls. A hint - no one gives a damn about your opinions. No one gives a shit about these forums or most the other large site forums for that matter, they are just a entertaining place to post for personal entertainment is all. One review on a reputable site trumps 10,000 troll posts. The vault forums were ( are) jokes for years, now MMORPG is the new king of the "no one really reads for info" forums.

I miss DAoC

• BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546

Adding a built-in voice chat and guildbanks is cloning, you say?

I say these features are mandatory in an online game.

Tip: Think before you cry "Clone". As a matter of fact, don't ever say it again.

Originally posted by BizkitNL

Tip: Think before you cry "Clone". As a matter of fact, don't ever say it again.

did you even bother to read my second post ? I edited it to make my point even more clear.

I miss DAoC

• BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546

did you even bother to read my second post ? I edited it to make my point even more clear.

Woops, my bad, dude.

I had no idea people wasted their time (and other people's time) with nonsense like this. Get a life, man.

Woops, my bad, dude.

I had no idea people wasted their time (and other people's time) with nonsense like this. Get a life, man.

All video games are nothing more than a way to waste time. Whats your point.

I miss DAoC

• RuthgarRuthgar Member Posts: 730

I think the OP is just making fun of all of the people that say that LOTRO is a WoW clone.

Based on some people's ideas, every human is a clone too. WoW could do with a little borrowing from LOTRO, but LOTRO could do with a little more borrowing from other MMOs too.

Originally posted by Ruthgar

I think the OP is just making fun of all of the people that say that LOTRO is a WoW clone.
    Based on some people's ideas, every human is a clone too. WoW could do with a little borrowing from LOTRO, but LOTRO could do with a little more borrowing from other MMOs too.

we have a winner folks

I miss DAoC

• randomtrandomt Member UncommonPosts: 1,220

Most fantasy is based off LOTR which is based off real life mythology.  Of course wow is a lotr clone.. they all are. 

• HashbrickHashbrick Member RarePosts: 1,851

Originally posted by Ruthgar I think the OP is just making fun of all of the people that say that LOTRO is a WoW clone.
    we have a winner folks imageimage

Congratulations Jackdog, I hope you got your kicks! My statement still stands and you have proven it to the T.

[[ DEAD ]] - Funny - I deleted my account on the site using the cancel account button.  Forum user is separate and still exists with no way of deleting it. Delete it admins. Do it, this ends now.
    Originally posted by HashBrick

we have a winner folks

Congratulations Jackdog, I hope you got your kicks! My statement still stands and you have proven it to the T.

you ever stop to think that maybe you take this stuff too seriously, at the end of the day they are just games and none of them put a dime into my pocket. Quite the opposite in fact. For the record I find sports team arguments just as droll . 

Reading the forums here one would think a kitten was crushed every time some one spent 50 bucks on a game that some one else did not care for. I find it so amusing that people need to "warn " others about a game that has not received a single bad review from any reputable source. So who are the real asshats here, I think I have made it quite clear I only post hwere for my own amusement, no other reason. I really do not expect for anything I post to be taken seriously. If you did ~shrug~

I miss DAoC

• FahrenheitTHFahrenheitTH Member Posts: 130

I don't think anyone here deserves to be called a clone. Guild banking and in-game voice chat have been around for quite some time, hell, even free games like SCO snd Flyff have them!

LOTRO and WoW are based on two different stories, one from the films of LOTR, one from the Warcraft series. Warcraft may be based on the Warhammer universe, and LOTR is based on numerous fantasy stories. Sure, they may have copied some material from other games, but tell me, what company doesn't?

And it;s simply absurd to assume that both these games aren't at least 75% original. I tried WoW, and I loved it but I also think LOTRO is good.

• HashbrickHashbrick Member RarePosts: 1,851

we have a winner folks

you ever stop to think that maybe you take this stuff too seriously, at the end of the day they are just games and none of them put a dime into my pocket. Quite the opposite in fact. For the record I find sports team arguments just as droll .

This is a forum to discuss the current/developing MMOs not to post crap to get a reaction. If you have ever wondered why you have the reputation you have at this community, this is why.

[[ DEAD ]] - Funny - I deleted my account on the site using the cancel account button.  Forum user is separate and still exists with no way of deleting it. Delete it admins. Do it, this ends now.

This is a forum to discuss the current/developing MMOs not to post crap to get a reaction. If you have ever wondered why you have the reputation you have at this community, this is why.

take a good look at 99% of the posts on this forum, and say that with a straight face. This is troll city dude in case you have not noticed. You want discussion go to the games developer site. Go to a fan board maybe, this is just a my game can whip your games ass forum.

Any thread that attempts any real discussion is ignored and the trolls, the shills and their alts bury it under such relevant and well thought out threads with titles such as "does anyone else think the game sucks". It's not just on the LoTRO forum either, look at the WAR and AOC Forums, and god forbid anyone who enjoys WoW posts anything positive about the game here.

So I poked some fun at the trolls, get over it or ignore my posts . Your choice.

I miss DAoC

• MorthoronMorthoron Member Posts: 29

Any thread that attempts any real discussion is ignored and the trolls, the shills and their alts bury it under such relevant and well thought out threads with titles such as "does anyone else think the game sucks". It's not just on the LoTRO forum either, look at the WAR and AOC Forums, and god forbid anyone who enjoys WoW posts anything positive about the game here.

So I poked some fun at the trolls, get over it or ignore my posts . Your choice.

Oh, I believe after the fact you'd like everyone to believe you were joking, but I think anyone reviewing your posts knows this is merely your futile attempt at revisionary history. To you, everyone is a 'troll' who dislikes LOTRO, and everyone else who prefers another game is a 'shill'. Humorously, you have encapsulated both troll and shill in one post. Congratulations! It is not everyday one meets a trollish sycophant. I mean really, does Turbine pay you by the word, or do they get a paragraphical discount?

Morthoron the Moriquendi