Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

AoC top hype

Age of Conan is at the top of the list again

Comments

• sirespersiresper Member Posts: 317

Congratulations

And the Hype comments on the Warhammer board seem to have been pretty well behaved for once.

Double GG 

• ThefonzThefonz Member Posts: 280

how cute and people say the AoC will have mature players.

• oblivionateoblivionate Member Posts: 224

doesnt really matter where its located on the hype meter imo, many players are going to play just based on what they've seen and heard about the game

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Currently Waiting For: Nothing, found my addiction for awhile

Currently Playing: Warhammer Online - Oblivion, Warrior Priest, Averheim; Team Fortress 2

• dominitdominit Member Posts: 64

I do agree it doen't really matter about the position on the hype meter. Most of the fan base is already so strong i dont think it matters. Just cant wait for release

• LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514

Originally posted by Thefonz

Everything leads me to believe that AoC's community will be more immature than most, sadly.  When you bring up boobs and prostitution, blood and gore, decapitations and mutilation, that's the way it's going to go down, I guess.

I've seen a couple threads lately on the official AoC forums telling people to come here and "Hype WAR at 1 and AoC at 10 so we can be on top!".

Stupid nonsense like that proves that there's no maturity in AoC's community, anymore than any other game.

Which to say, now that so many people are into MMO gaming, there's pretty much no chance of there ever being another "mature" community for a game.

• LionexxLionexx Member UncommonPosts: 680

wow for like 10 mins then it went back to WAR ownt :P

Playing: Everthing
    Played: DAoC,AC2,EvE,SWG,WAR,MXO,CoX,EQ2,L2,LOTRO,SB,UO,WoW.
    I have played every MMO that has ever come out.

• FE|TachyonFE|Tachyon Member UncommonPosts: 652
    Originally posted by Lokero

Everything leads me to believe that AoC's community will be more immature than most, sadly.  When you bring up boobs and prostitution, blood and gore, decapitations and mutilation, that's the way it's going to go down, I guess.

I've seen a couple threads lately on the official AoC forums telling people to come here and "Hype WAR at 1 and AoC at 10 so we can be on top!".

Stupid nonsense like that proves that there's no maturity in AoC's community, anymore than any other game.

Which to say, now that so many people are into MMO gaming, there's pretty much no chance of there ever being another "mature" community for a game.

SHOW ME?????   NOTICE all the Warhammer people comming here and Trolling?

• FE|TachyonFE|Tachyon Member UncommonPosts: 652

Originally posted by lionexx

Somebody was saying something about AOC's Matureity level???   Is this an example of Warhammers ??  Case Dismissed!

• MaeEyeMaeEye Member UncommonPosts: 1,106

Not trying to hate here, I think AoC will be an AMAZING game....but Vanguard used to be on the top hyped list.

/played-mmorpgs

Total time played: 9125 Days, 21 Hours, 29 Minutes, 27 Seconds
    Time played this level: 39 Days, 1 Hour, 24 Minutes, 5 Seconds

• AelfinnAelfinn Member Posts: 3,857

I'm going to have to disagree with you for multiple reasons:

A.) I have met hundreds, possibly thousands, of individuals following this game who have maintained a mature and reasonable attitude over the official community forums.

B.) The presence of a few bad apples is hardly an indication the whole bushel has gone rotten, particularly since I've found immature players/community members to be to loudest attention seekers of all. This site and its forums are FAR from the best place to go to assess the maturity and attitude of any target online community.

C.) Funcom had no trouble whatsoever establishing and continuing to maintain a mature community in AO, there is as of yet no reason to believe they won't be able to repeat the performance.

D.) Even if the AoC community is significantly more immature on the whole than I believe it will be, the more stringint rules on the RP servers are bound to cut a significant portion of the tomfoolery down, allowing for the players themselves to do the rest.

No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main. any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee.
    Hemingway

• ThefonzThefonz Member Posts: 280
    Originally posted by FE|Tachyon

Originally posted by lionexx

Somebody was saying something about AOC's Matureity level???   Is this an example of Warhammers ??  Case Dismissed!

You're quick to judge. Just because my avatar is from WaR you believe I'm a fanatical fanboy? I've seen this exact same post  on the WaR forums. People who post these kinds of threads just do it to aggravate the other.

• Swiftblade13Swiftblade13 Member Posts: 638
    Originally posted by MaeEye

Not trying to hate here, I think AoC will be an AMAZING game....but Vanguard used to be on the top hyped list.

lol, and RFonline too

Grymm
    MMO addict in recovery!
    EQ,SWG preCU,L2,EQ2,GW,CoH/CoV,V:SOH,
    Aion,AoC,TR,WAR,EVE,BP,RIFT,WoW and others... no more!

• drarakkusdrarakkus Member Posts: 97

just remember....

everyone gwows old....not everyone grows up

The M rating is only an age req not a maturity req

• lykkenlykken Member UncommonPosts: 97

Haha what a lie... 

Show me one post of that tard----  

• xxariochxxxxariochxx Member Posts: 97

Well just like any game where going to get 8 year olds no matter what because there parents just will not care so its not going to be any different from any other rpg with dealing with that.....

• DemonZealotDemonZealot Member Posts: 173

Originally posted by drarakkus

OH NOES RATIONAL THOUGHT!  *hiss*

Apparently too much for these boards.

• xthuntertxxthuntertx Member Posts: 1

I don't ever post on the forums, but this thread just demanded that course of action. I don't see why all of you care so much about which game will have more maturity or which will better. It's a GAME, you're supposed to escape from reality and have fun by playing it. That means that even adults, YES ADULTS, can be immature should it please them. Do you really think the M rating is stopping "immature" teenagers from playing? I'm 15, I'll be playing at release and from what I've read and seen so far, I'm a LOT more mature than all of you here. Or maybe it's just that all the mature players have been doing the mature thing and chosen not to enter this meaningless brawl. Have fun arguing whether WAR or AoC will be better, but in a few years you'll all be sick of both those games and move on to the next big thing.

• Ghost12Ghost12 Member Posts: 684

Originally posted by DemonZealot

Originally posted by drarakkus

OH NOES RATIONAL THOUGHT!  *hiss*

Apparently too much for these boards.

Indeed.

Too many chickens running around without any heads...

heheh 

• LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514

Originally posted by Aelfinn

I'm going to have to disagree with you for multiple reasons:

A.) I have met hundreds, possibly thousands, of individuals following this game who have maintained a mature and reasonable attitude over the official community forums.

B.) The presence of a few bad apples is hardly an indication the whole bushel has gone rotten, particularly since I've found immature players/community members to be to loudest attention seekers of all. This site and its forums are FAR from the best place to go to assess the maturity and attitude of any target online community.

C.) Funcom had no trouble whatsoever establishing and continuing to maintain a mature community in AO, there is as of yet no reason to believe they won't be able to repeat the performance.

D.) Even if the AoC community is significantly more immature on the whole than I believe it will be, the more stringint rules on the RP servers are bound to cut a significant portion of the tomfoolery down, allowing for the players themselves to do the rest.

Wow, I saw my post quoted at least three times.  Since you were the only person with some sense responding to it ---

A+B.)  I'm not saying everyone following the game is immature or unreasonable, and you are right, it's the clowns that stir up the most attention.  I've seen some good posters on the official forums, I'll agree.

I don't judge anything by the mmorpg.com forums, as they are nothing but trolling and fanboy-ism.  As can be seen by the responses to my post...(not yours Aelfinn)

I'm just pointing out that everyone calling "maturity" is wasting their breath, it will be no different than any other game --- people seem to love pointing out the "M" rating like it somehow sets the AoC fanbase above every other.

C+D.)  Well, I never really found my way into AO, so let's hope they can manage to keep that record up. 

I'm not familiar with how they will handle RP servers, are you commenting on the way they handled it in AO?  I've yet to play a game where they actually have staff enforcement on an RP server... it's pretty much up to the community to deal with it in most cases.

As far as AO, AO managed to come in before the massive swarm of morons swept the MMO market.  AO was a fairly early entry into the MMO market... back in those days there was a limited amount of people actually playing, and it was mostly more literate, less ignorant folks.  So, AO's maturity may have just been a blessing of the times.

---Basically, my overall point was, that true "mature" communities don't exist anymore, regardless of what game/setting/rating.  It's a thing of the past, sadly.  I think you can agree that the general community in the MMO market as a whole has gone downhill.

Regardless, I plan to play AoC.  I just think it's silly for people to go into it expecting some major change from other games.  Maybe you are right and it will draw more mature people than some of the other games, but that's not going to change the fact that, as a whole, it will still likely be far outnumbered by the bad apples.

So long as it's not as bad as WoW's community(which so far, it seems much better than), I'm happy.

• AelfinnAelfinn Member Posts: 3,857

Wow, I saw my post quoted at least three times.  Since you were the only person with some sense responding to it ---

A+B.)  I'm not saying everyone following the game is immature or unreasonable, and you are right, it's the clowns that stir up the most attention.  I've seen some good posters on the official forums, I'll agree.
    I don't judge anything by the mmorpg.com forums, as they are nothing but trolling and fanboy-ism.  As can be seen by the responses to my post...(not yours Aelfinn)
    I'm just pointing out that everyone calling "maturity" is wasting their breath, it will be no different than any other game --- people seem to love pointing out the "M" rating like it somehow sets the AoC fanbase above every other.
    The M rating is both a blessing and a curse in this respect. It will significantly decrease the number of minors who end up playing the game, but not all parents are responsible or vigilant enough, and maturity does not always reflect age as has been pointed out.
    C+D.)  Well, I never really found my way into AO, so let's hope they can manage to keep that record up. 
    I'm not familiar with how they will handle RP servers, are you commenting on the way they handled it in AO?  I've yet to play a game where they actually have staff enforcement on an RP server... it's pretty much up to the community to deal with it in most cases.
    They've mentioned that they will be enforcing a different set of rules on any RP dedicated servers. For instance, a much stricter naming policy will be in place. This alone will not be enough on its own of course, but should ease off enough of the pressure that the RP community will be able to handle the rest. For instance, a... coalition of about 10 AoC guilds have already formed together, they have decided that they will be A.) be playing on the same RPVP server and B.) Band together to eliminate or shove away any serious threats to the community, although they likely will be warring with each other most of the rest of the time.
    As far as AO, AO managed to come in before the massive swarm of morons swept the MMO market.  AO was a fairly early entry into the MMO market... back in those days there was a limited amount of people actually playing, and it was mostly more literate, less ignorant folks.  So, AO's maturity may have just been a blessing of the times.
    Yes and no, AO had a good start in this respect, its community was primarily formed out of a relatively small determined bunch of players who were willing to wait while FC frantically fixed the mistakes that came with the rushed launch. However, the "classic" version of Anarchy Online went free several years ago. Based upon everything I know about MMOs and the patterns of community behavior in them, AO's playerbase should have gone to the shithouse as every Tom and Jerry with an internet connection were suddenly willing to try it. Somewhat to my astonishment, it hardly changed a bit, in spite of the massive initial population surge. It took me a while to figure out why, and wasn't untill I rolled an alt and went to noob isle again that I saw what was going on. The playerbase as a whole was setting a specific standard of behavior and had been expecting the newcomers to adhere to it. Unlike that which is often said, people do not revert to their own true selves online, they adopt another facade, one which they feel is more "fun" and/or would be more widely accepted than the mask they commonly show the real world. (Heh, everybody's a roleplayer) In any case, I was intrigued and quietly followed a few of the newer players. When presented with the right environment, they quickly adopted a better attitude in terms of communication at the least, one fellow I observed came online typing nothing but 1337 speech, not one person actually condemned him for it, but he left noob isle typing proper English. The ARKs were also helping in this respect. An ARK is essentially an experienced player who volunteers for an extensive training program in which he is given the knowledge and the tool equipped character necessary to act as an assistant GM. Ever since the original version of the game went free, they've been making an effort to meet and greet every single new player and answer any questions they may have about the game in general, adding to the overall environment. The final result has been that while AO still has a few more bad apples around than before, they've maintained a rather mature community in spite of the odds, simply by "converting" the newcomers.
    ---Basically, my overall point was, that true "mature" communities don't exist anymore, regardless of what game/setting/rating.  It's a thing of the past, sadly.  I think you can agree that the general community in the MMO market as a whole has gone downhill.

No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main. any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee.
    Hemingway