Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Released game will be incomplete?

gatherisgatheris Member UncommonPosts: 1,016

from what i've been able to determine from the gods and heroes website the game will be released with big sections of the game missing

so why bother?

i know i won't be purchasing now that i've found out crafting will be an add-on - at some future date

isn't it time for game devs to stop making promises that usually go unfulfilled?

what else is going to be missing and added (maybe) later?

Comments

• MMOLifestyleMMOLifestyle Member Posts: 8
    Nope, it is about time they did it how P.E. is going about it. That is focusing their effort on the core game that everything else will be based off of and having it be solidest release to date.

With that accomplished, it will be much easier to fully concentrate on crafting and make that the most robust and innovative system that it can be. The same would hold true for any other future “add-ons”.

Also, P.E. is one of the (and I dare say “the”) most up front companies in the business. What they can’t do now, or want to make perfect for later and not give us a half assed product now, they tell us. There are no “promises”.
  • zethcarnzethcarn Member UncommonPosts: 1,558

So how is saying "it will be added in the future"  turned into a promise for release?  pointless topic.

• EverithEverith Member CommonPosts: 482

They're concentrating on the core game and getting that down for release... not a bad thing if you ask me. Most games do the exact opposite and get torn down for that... so now a company does what everyone asks for and gets torn for THAT too... can't please em all i guess... What i got from reading up was that they're gonna release the core game based around rome... then in future expansions they're releasing new continents and new lore and crafting yes... but what would you rather have a game that focusies on they're core game and then releases great expansions OR a game that takes 10 years to release is buggy as all get out and never releases an expansion?

• maxstonemaxstone Member Posts: 151

Originally posted by gatheris

from what i've been able to determine from the gods and heroes website the game will be released with big sections of the game missing
    so why bother?
    i know i won't be purchasing now that i've found out crafting will be an add-on - at some future date
    isn't it time for game devs to stop making promises that usually go unfulfilled?
    if your that touchy about it and following your logic, the game will also be "incomplete" because it will have:

-Limited PvP until the NvN expansion comes out unless the FFA servers are up at launch

-Lack of Races because the Egyptians will not be added until the expansion

-Lack of ALL the quests because they'll be continually adding more

WOW..maybe you should NEVER buy an MMO or computer game again because lots of things get added or fixed after release..

The other posters explain the reasons perfectly, I just feel like poking a troll.

• 1badjedi1badjedi Member Posts: 41

Originally posted by MMOLifestyle

Nope, it is about time they did it how P.E. is going about it. That is focusing their effort on the core game that everything else will be based off of and having it be solidest release to date.

With that accomplished, it will be much easier to fully concentrate on crafting and make that the most robust and innovative system that it can be. The same would hold true for any other future “add-ons”.

Also, P.E. is one of the (and I dare say “the”) most up front companies in the business. What they can’t do now, or want to make perfect for later and not give us a half assed product now, they tell us. There are no “promises”.

ummm.....would you buy a doorless car on the promise that you'll get the doors 6-12 months down the road?

• fatalimpactfatalimpact Member Posts: 32

Make, model and year of the car?

• TurddTurdd Member Posts: 47

I'm going to have to say that is ridiculous. The truth is they need to make money before they can add all the other stuff so they need to release the game sooner without goodies like crafting. If what your saying is true why not focus all thought on the core game then al thought on crafting etc.... and then release a more full robust innovative game all at once wowing mmo players with such a complete well thought out MMO no one ever thought of before. I'm a fan of the game and will play it I'm just saying the truth is they need money before they can add the goodies which is why there releasing the game without that stuff first.

No matter how long you work on a game or test a game there will be something wrong with it because either there is so much coding that there are bugs or something looked better on paper but didn't pan out that well for the real deal. Not flaming or anything but thats an excuse because it looks bad if a company ever says they need money to continue making their product. No matter how upfront a business is there is always secrets, its required for them to thrive, people would worry too much if they knew everything and then the business would fail without support

Don't take it personal or anything but thats probably more of the truth, and at the same time if there not being any crafting bothers you then wait for them to make it, honestly if they were gana add it now then it would tak on even more time all there doing is giving the people something to play while they continue to improve it.

• raoulraoul Member Posts: 88

Originally posted by 1badjedi

ummm.....would you buy a doorless car on the promise that you'll get the doors 6-12 months down the road?

A car and an MMO have just about nothing in common...

At release, GnH will look great, run great and be fun.  The crafting and pvp systems implemented will be what the players want and will be so much better than if they were just quickly put in there without any thought.

• gatherisgatheris Member UncommonPosts: 1,016

Originally posted by Turdd

I'm going to have to say that is ridiculous. The truth is they need to make money before they can add all the other stuff so they need to release the game sooner without goodies like crafting. If what your saying is true why not focus all thought on the core game then al thought on crafting etc.... and then release a more full robust innovative game all at once wowing mmo players with such a complete well thought out MMO no one ever thought of before. I'm a fan of the game and will play it I'm just saying the truth is they need money before they can add the goodies which is why there releasing the game without that stuff first.

No matter how long you work on a game or test a game there will be something wrong with it because either there is so much coding that there are bugs or something looked better on paper but didn't pan out that well for the real deal. Not flaming or anything but thats an excuse because it looks bad if a company ever says they need money to continue making their product. No matter how upfront a business is there is always secrets, its required for them to thrive, people would worry too much if they knew everything and then the business would fail without support

Don't take it personal or anything but thats probably more of the truth, and at the same time if there not being any crafting bothers you then wait for them to make it, honestly if they were gana add it now then it would tak on even more time all there doing is giving the people something to play while they continue to improve it.

the problem is - crafting and their version of PVP is hardly going to be central to the game is it?

if crafting isn't essential to gameplay at the start it is hardly going to be essential 6 months later so why bother at all?

i will have to wait and see of course but  it doesn't look good from here

oh well, i've only been playing eq2 for a few months and am enjoying it and there is so much more to see and do that the wait won't exactly be painful

• 1badjedi1badjedi Member Posts: 41

Originally posted by raoul

of course not but if you wont buy an unfinished car why would you buy a game that is unfinished? and plz dont give me that "mmo's are never finished" line. that's just making excuses

in any case i'll be waiting for 6mos to a year to ever try this game upon it's release. no sense playing a game missing ingredients til they're all in.

• raoulraoul Member Posts: 88

Originally posted by raoul Originally posted by 1badjedi Originally posted by MMOLifestyle

of course not but if you wont buy an unfinished car why would you buy a game that is unfinished? and plz dont give me that "mmo's are never finished" line. that's just making excuses

in any case i'll be waiting for 6mos to a year to ever try this game upon it's release. no sense playing a game missing ingredients til they're all in.

A car is a huge investment, an unfinished car is not safe.

An MMO is not a huge investment, an unfinished MMO can be unstable and buggy, as far as i can tell GnH will be pretty polished, but that's another thing to find out at open beta...

If you feel you have to wait a bit or until the features you like are added then go ahead, I certainly wouldn't buy it if they didn't have what I wanted...  The game could still be fun without those parts though, can't argue with that.

• arvainisarvainis Member Posts: 548

The game is incomplete.  We were told there would be eight minions, then they drop it to four.  At first you could choose any God and any class, now you can only choose 1 of 2 gods for each class.  All done in the cause of "balance".  How about the cause of, "Oh crap this isn't gonna work."  I defended PE for a long time, saying they would follow through on their product.  Look at the facts, PE has been cutting stuff from the game from Day 1, oh but in the name of game balance.  I'm sure the game will be solid and will have a decent following, I however like more in my game then just PvE and pretty graphics.  Oh but wait, sometime down the road they will add RvR, crafting etc.  Sometime down the road could be a mile, or 1000 miles.  Sorry, too many promises and "down the roads."  I'm glad that PE is up front as one of the posters said, now I can focus on other things rather then a game that keep losing peices as it goes down the road.

"Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves." ~ Ronald Reagan

• gatherisgatheris Member UncommonPosts: 1,016

Originally posted by arvainis

The game is incomplete.  We were told there would be eight minions, then they drop it to four.  At first you could choose any God and any class, now you can only choose 1 of 2 gods for each class.  All done in the cause of "balance".  How about the cause of, "Oh crap this isn't gonna work."  I defended PE for a long time, saying they would follow through on their product.  Look at the facts, PE has been cutting stuff from the game from Day 1, oh but in the name of game balance.  I'm sure the game will be solid and will have a decent following, I however like more in my game then just PvE and pretty graphics.  Oh but wait, sometime down the road they will add RvR, crafting etc.  Sometime down the road could be a mile, or 1000 miles.  Sorry, too many promises and "down the roads."  I'm glad that PE is up front as one of the posters said, now I can focus on other things rather then a game that keep losing peices as it goes down the road.
    there we go

you have summed things up perfectly - i'm just sorry that things have turned out this way

i guess it is EQ2 for a while yet

• LolpigsLolpigs Member Posts: 70

Personally I dont mind if they dont have crafting, etc in the game at release. There are far too many MMO's released with these elements in that are buggy or not worth it and end up getting overhauled anyway.

What will make or break it is the time they take to implement these features into the game. If they take 12mths, people will loose patience. I know that if they promise crafting mounts etc, max waiting time would be 4-6mths, if not implemented sooner. That's just a personal expectation.

They are being different and wanting to make the game the best it can be, which is great but thats also a trade off against are they actually going to be able to deliver the elements they promised in a timley fashion.

If they are unable to then people will not stay, if they are more power to them for going against the grain.

~L

• SamuraiswordSamuraisword Member Posts: 2,111

Sounds like SOE is rushing this game out the door like they did Vanguard.

• BzrkBzrk Member Posts: 163

Here we go again...

Sony is doing anything. Sony is in charge of marketing and have nothing to do with development.

Yes, there's no crafting at launch. And yes, there's little PvP at launch. PE made this choice very early because they want to make a solid game to release with. So when it's realeased the game plays like a game and not like a bugfest.

If you are into crafting, then play the game when it's in eventually. PE always stated that GnH was going to be an action based mmorpg to begin with. All devs have really big plans when they start to develop and sometimes you should let go of these ideas and just make a good solid action game.

The point is that there's nothing "missing" in this game.

• serg123serg123 Member Posts: 32

Oh common Bzrk, just stop it...

Yes Sony does nothing, but there is a lot of issues/reasons, that push game back and u know that. I like how u defend game and Dev, but a true gamer is the one who can find good and bad stuff in the mmo, and talks about it wide open, not just to stick with one side, do u know what I'm saying ??? its called constructive  criticism , and when pple cannot take it they go EXTREME... Stand up and accept the down side and do not be afraid to talk about it even on community.godsandheroes forum (btw i would like to c that), unless of course u do not want to lose your seat in beta, haha

I have the feeling if u start expressing radical ideas on their forum, they ask u to be silent or kick u out of beta, u have a chance to try it out...

Conclusion : PVE mmo, with "promising future expansions", that does not meet  current time frame, and most of the player's needs...

I asked long time ago if GH gonna be better or is going to have limited community, guess they both were right.

U do not have to be a genies to figure that

I don't think SoE has anything to do with rushing the game out or anything.  In fact if all it takes for you to have fun is some great PvE and storyline to go along with it then I hope you'll try this game.  There's just been too many "down the roads" and too much dropped from the game that got me excited about it in the first place.  Hopefully I'm wrong and 6 months after it goes live, BAM an awesome RvR expansion comes out and it owns.  I just don't see it though.  As far as going on the forum and pointing out the downpoints of the game, people have already done that.  The community is awesome and comes together to try and help that person (usually.)  That's a great thing.  Like you're saying though don't be so blind as to just follow every word they put out to the letter.

"Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves." ~ Ronald Reagan

• MMOLifestyleMMOLifestyle Member Posts: 8

Car doors are part of the core product.  So no, I would not.  But I would buy a car and add the DVD player and X-Box later on though.

Originally posted by Turdd

Release it sooner?  The game has been in development just as long as any other (and maybe longer) standard MMO available today.  To concentrate that time on the core game can only be a good thing.  This has always been the game plan.  As far back as i am able to look, there was never talk of having full PvP or crafting in at release.  It has been a new approach and concept from day 1.

Sure, as with any software based product, there will always be bugs found after release when you have a huge amount of eyes looking at the product.  That is not in debate here.  The effort is to hopefully make it the most bug free/playable game MMORPG launch to date.  I still say that if this works, we will see more companies take this route with future games as well.

As for money, at some point that will factor in.  For P.E., I think they are still in a very comfortable zone at this point however.  But as they have the product that they set out to make in hand, why not release it?

the problem is - crafting and their version of PVP is hardly going to be central to the game is it?

if crafting isn't essential to gameplay at the start it is hardly going to be essential 6 months later so why bother at all?
    i will have to wait and see of course but  it doesn't look good from here
    oh well, i've only been playing eq2 for a few months and am enjoying it and there is so much more to see and do that the wait won't exactly be painful

Why do you think this? Adding reasons for PvP and crafting is the easy part. Balance and game play of both is what needs the time and attention.

- - - - -

I think the biggest issue is that we have all become accustomed to having things like PvP and crafting at the launch of a new game. The lack of that is something that many will have trouble accommodating themselves too. I myself am a crafter but I do realize that it is not the core component of today’s games. Craters and PvP players still only amount to a small percentage of why most people play an MMO.

Change and innovation can only be a good thing for the future of the market.
  • BzrkBzrk Member Posts: 163

Originally posted by serg123

Oh common Bzrk, just stop it...
    Yes Sony does nothing, but there is a lot of issues/reasons, that push game back and u know that. I like how u defend game and Dev, but a true gamer is the one who can find good and bad stuff in the mmo, and talks about it wide open, not just to stick with one side, do u know what I'm saying ??? its called constructive  criticism , and when pple cannot take it they go EXTREME... Stand up and accept the down side and do not be afraid to talk about it even on community.godsandheroes forum (btw i would like to c that), unless of course u do not want to lose your seat in beta, haha
    I have the feeling if u start expressing radical ideas on their forum, they ask u to be silent or kick u out of beta, u have a chance to try it out...
    Conclusion : PVE mmo, with "promising future expansions", that does not meet  current time frame, and most of the player's needs...
    I asked long time ago if GH gonna be better or is going to have limited community, guess they both were right.
     U do not have to be a genies to figure that

Well, I didn't see any constructive criticism from you either. What's keeping you? I'm not a crafter and I'm not a PvP player, so I'm fine on the whole deal. I don't need to get into discussions that I don't care of anyway. Is that so bad? Furthermore, I still don't see any arguments on your side why the game flaws? C'mon serg, if you want to be contructive about it...bring it on!

If you got some good arguments, I'll even back you up on them. Seriously.  I'm not afraid to lose anything on the boards there because I haven't GOT anything there. You know that as well as I do. But making posts about "there are a lot of reasons and issues that push the game back" doesn't cut it. Challenge me.

To give you a small example. WoW started out with PvE only also. They had PvP servers at the start, which GnH is also gonna have. That turned out ok now didn't it? And crafting doesn't even really exist. Just gathering materials/getting a recipe and make something. That's no real indepth crafting to me. So I still don't see what's missing in GnH.

But hey, I dare you to prove me otherwise. Good luck!

Hey whats up , how is Netherlands?

Now we talking... I already pointed whats missing. U can accept it or not , the choice is yours, and i respect it no matter which side u r on. i'm not here to change your mind, or some 1 mind.

Cheers

• jaharjahar Member Posts: 234

Now, do you think there is a dev team out there that can really say " this game launched with everything it it the way we want it"? There are budgets, and deadlines, and alot of pressure on these guys. I'll be happy wiht a well done version of what they do release, as opposed to waiting a year for the same game but with som PvP and crafting, especially when they can patch that stuff in later.

And as for them changing the original idea, all ideas need refinement. If they  decided that limiting minions and god selection is for the best, then im with them on that..

If you're fine with someone limitting what they said they could deliver then good for you.  I have higher standards and I think that dropping from 8 minions to 4 is a game breaker for me.  It also goes to show that they will cut features out of the game.  They said they could deliver something and failed.  If that's OK with you then have fun.  I just lost faith in PE to deliver on their promises.

• 0over00over0 Member UncommonPosts: 488

so why bother?
    Easy solution: don't buy until you think it has the features a good game requires. No one should ever buy something on the promise that what they really really want will be coming at some indeterminate time in the future.

If they want to release the game at a stage in which they think it's complete, that's their perogative. Your perogative as a consumer is to buy when you think you're getting a good deal (that is, features/fun versus cost). Everyone will have a different opinion on what they would consider a fully featured or complete MMO.

Apply lemon juice and candle flame here to reveal secret message.

In the beginning  was really hyped about this game ( not any more), w/ all pple were talking (expecting) from it, but when game started getting some shape, i  quickly realized the downside of this mmo., I totally agree that w/ all new stuff its gonna bring to mmo world its lacking major mmo attributes  , and demands of pple.

Maybe, and i say maybe,the  game  gonna be better down the road ( 00+ years later), but for now it is lets just say "incomplete"

P.S. I would not buy a new car with future promises from a dealer to install missing doors in about 6 month, hehe sad but true...

Btw its back on the floor in anticipation haha, im surprised its still hanging there