Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why is it WoW vs EQ2?

AnnekynnAnnekynn Member Posts: 1,437

Why is it WoW vs EQ2? Why not WoW vs UXO or EQ2 vs Guild Wars? What is it about these two games that puts them in competition? Similar release dates? Would that mean AO compared to WW2 Online?

Other than release dates, I honestly dont see what it is that puts these two games in comparison. It is not like Dark and Light versus Mourning, where the games have almost identical graphics and styles of play. EQ2 is in a 'post apocalyptic' world with two huge cities, realistic looking graphics, and gameplay thats being balanced primarily for groups of 6 people. WoW is a ultra fantasy game based on the warcraft universe (and graphical style) with alliance vs horde, grouping not needed as everyone can solo always, and extremely quest centric. I see it as apples and oranges. So why the need to bash the other game?

Played: AC1, DAoC, E&B, SWG
Tested: AC1, AC2, DAoC, Eve, Planetside, Rubies, Lineage 2

Comments

• DaShizDaShiz Member Posts: 375

Well, both games are extremely hyped by both fanbase and are generaly loyal fans that have a history with the company/game. Because of this you have people who say things like this game is going to be the greatest and what not, but since both games are considered to be prime contenders for this year and as well have so much hype surrounding them, it will intruge the other fanbase to check out the other game in varying amounts. This is where the "this game is going to be the greatest" is posted in the wrong forum for the wrong game by the soon to be opposing fanbase, first one person will say it and then discussions upon why one fanbase doesn't like the game based upon what they have seen will pose there arguement in whatever level of "anger" they wish to portray. It started off with fairly decent arguements but they, as all arguements of game vs game arguements do, eventually turned sour because someone pushed to far and someone was waiting for the other fanbase to push to far. It is just like every other arguement that is posed in that it went beyond what it should of, the only difference is this is an arguement of fanbases.

But pretty much like you said, the arguement is apples vs oranges in a sense. Only time will tell.

Your scathing wit and daring insight into the turbulent political crags of the internet are shining beacons of truth and purity for the slight remaining masses of visionless hypocriticial sheep who bleat at the thought of your glory

Your scathing wit and daring insight into the turbulent political crags of the internet are shining beacons of truth and purity for the slight remaining masses of visionless hypocriticial sheep who bleat at the thought of your glory

• n2soonersn2sooners Member UncommonPosts: 926

First, they are the two big dogs. Other games have to wonder if they make it. Guild Wars will have to prove it can make a profit with no monthly fee, and many of the others wouldn't be a huge surprise if they flopped or even got canceled before release. But there is little doubt that both WoW and EQ2 will be released, and will be relatively big hits (how big remains to be seen). It is extremely unlikely that either game will fail to make a profit.

Second, they are much more alike than you think. I saw a review by someone who had played both that said the gameplay is very similar. Both games will be soloable to an extent. EQ2 will have much smaller raids than EQ, and probably even smaller than WoW. Both games are taking place in successful gaming worlds, and both are being created by successful gaming companies.

image image

• rathmarathma Member UncommonPosts: 3,786

EverQuest II and World of Warcraft are the most hyped in the industry, yet they are almost completely different games. I think this is what gets most people curious on which will actually come out on top. The classic fantasy cartoon setting of Warcraft, or perhaps the more realistic and advanced world of Norrath.

I guess we'll see in a couple months.

Playing: City of Heroes/ Dark Age of Camelot
    Upcoming: EverQuest II

http://www.OriginNow.com - Official Fanboi

EverQuest II : Level 20 Paladin - Antonia Bayle Server
  • OracleP4OracleP4 Member Posts: 495
    WOW is still better image

-------------------
    "Do I come to your workplace and tell you how to kill civilians? No, so don't tell me how to do my job" - Sam Fischer.

--OracleP4

-------------------
    "Do I come to your workplace and tell you how to kill civilians? No, so don't tell me how to do my job" - Sam Fischer.

--OracleP4

Like: DAoC, WOW, GW, DnL
    Dislike: SoR, EQ, EQ2, SWG, KO, AC2, CoH
    Don't Care About: Most Everything Else

• DraciusDracius Member Posts: 379

Uh oh, won't be long until some EQ fan reads what Oracle said and gets all upset over it.

I thought it was funny tho. image

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    With every post I lose just a little bit more of my sanity.

Peace,

Dracius

Dracius-Saberi-Static
    "With every post, I lose just a little bit more of my sanity." -Dracius

• Bobjones1303Bobjones1303 Member Posts: 680
    We should try to stay on topic here.  It is WoW vs. Eq2 because they are the 2 best mmorpgs coming out, and they will both be competetors for the best.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    -EQ1 character:Grotub, shaman of the Tribunal server

• powerskankerpowerskanker Member Posts: 57

I think WoW will attract a younger audience. EQ seems to be more torward an older more mature audience. Here is my reasoning:

WoW will attract younger people because the world itself is more cartoonish and fantasy like. Appealing to younger ages and more just plain fun bashing and simple. Don't get me wrong its got its twists but in the game in general can be played in a much more simple fashion than EQ. Now also, because of Blizzard's previous fanbase of WTF PKER's from diablo 2 and STFU GOGOGO's from starcraft and WC3 it seems that more younger, immature people play those games and therefore will remian loyal to Blizzard and play WoW.

EQ2 on the other hand will attract a more mature audience. Most MMORPG's in general attract older gamers. FPS's and more quick paced games which Blizzard seems to favor attract younger people. Very few younger people are willing to put forth the committment and time it takes to level and become powerful in most MMORPGs. Also a great aspect of an MMORPG is its content, which most younger gamers do not care for. They care for more "cooler" things, eye candies, and "wtf pwnzing". EQ2 being a long term time consuming game will tend to attract older audiences.

This brings me to my conclusion. EQ2 is going to be the sequel to the most popular MMORPG ever as the media puts it and WoW is not only bridging fast paced games with MMORPGs but also have a loyal fan base from their previous best sellers. In addition to this, the fact they are both being released about the same time will cause much competition between the two. Most people I know that play MMORPGs like to play one at a time being that the games take so much time and they would rather invest into one strong character. This will leave many gamers with the decision of deciding between one great game and the other. The people that argue over this seem to be the people loyal to one kind of game over the other. But speaking from an all-around gamer's point of view, a person that can enjoy an FPS or quick paced real time strategy just as much as an MMORPG, it is going to be a great competition.

I hope that WoW and Eq2 will be major rivals when they both come out.  It makes it more fun to argue over stuff then to agree on everything.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• metalfoxusmetalfoxus Member Posts: 805
    EQ2 will last longer than WoW. Probobly because all the WoW kiddies will quit after the first free month cause the dont want to pay image

• DjinDjin Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,263

You can say the same about EQ2 and it's crazy system specs...

1Gb RAM, 2Ghz CPU... that's just nuts!

What will he do next?

System Requirements

What are the game's requirements?

-Operating System: Windows 98/2000/ME/XP
    -Processor: 1GHz or greater
    -RAM: 512 MB
    -Video Card: DirectX 9 compatible. Pixel shader and vertex shader compatible hardware with 64 MB of texture memory
    -Sound Card: DirectSound compatible audio hardware

http://everquest2.station.sony.com/faq.vm

8. System Requirements

===============================

Windows® System/OS:

- 800 Mhz or higher CPU.- 256 Megabytes or more of RAM.- GeForce 2 graphics card or better.- 3 Gigabytes or more of available hard drive space.- DirectX® 9.0 or above.

image image

I have a 3200+, 1GB RAM... no issues for me... on either. :)

What will he do next?
          That is a bit off topic ya know.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• Hellfire28Hellfire28 Member Posts: 7
          Have you played a Warcraft game?  Every warcraft since Warcraft: Orcs and Humans all the way through Warcraft 3:  The Frozen Throne have had cartoony graphics.  Its just the way the world of warcraft is.  Blizz is just keeping with its track record on the Warcraft series in making it cartoony.  Blizz has the capability to make a game with grafix that would stand neck and neck with if not head and shoulders above EQ2's.  Personally i prefer content and gameplay to graphics unless the graphics are HORRIBLE.  But i also personally like WoW's graphics and ive been playing warcraft since forever.

Chaos often breeds life, when order breeds habit.

Chaos often breeds life, when order breeds habit.

Originally posted by Hellfire28
          Have you played a Warcraft game?  Every warcraft since Warcraft: Orcs and Humans all the way through Warcraft 3:  The Frozen Throne have had cartoony graphics.  Its just the way the world of warcraft is.  Blizz is just keeping with its track record on the Warcraft series in making it cartoony.  Blizz has the capability to make a game with grafix that would stand neck and neck with if not head and shoulders above EQ2's.  Personally i prefer content and gameplay to graphics unless the graphics are HORRIBLE.  But i also personally like WoW's graphics and ive been playing warcraft since forever.

I agree with what you say here, and personally I think WOW's graphics look much nicer then EQ2, which in my opinion are just boring and ugly looking.  WOW's graphic's have character and style far beyond anything in EQ2.  WOW will definitely be by far the better of the two games since it has a much deeper and more interesting world and far better content then EQ2.

-------------------

--OracleP4

-------------------

--OracleP4

• DraciusDracius Member Posts: 379

It's funny you bring that up, because in WC all the characters had huge arms-hands, in WoW they do as well, and people complain about it... BUT IT'S EXACTLY HOW IT WAS IN WC

People complained about the heights of the races in WoW, I took every race that WoW has *cept the gnomes* and stood them shoulder to shoulder in a WC3 game, and compared it to the screen shot showing all the WoW races shoulder to shoulder... Absolutely no difference, yet people still said Taurens should be bigger, and trolls shorter... It's odd how everyone has their idea of how something should be, but didn't care or notice how it was in WC3.

With every post I lose just a little bit more of my sanity.

Peace,

Dracius

Dracius-Saberi-Static
          "With every post, I lose just a little bit more of my sanity." -Dracius

I love all the character models in WOW! Well perhaps not the gnomes so much ;) But those Night Elves! Coolest race ever!

-------------------

--OracleP4

-------------------

--OracleP4

• DraugDraug Member Posts: 3

Originally posted by powerskanker
          I think WoW will attract a younger audience. EQ seems to be more torward an older more mature audience. Here is my reasoning:
          WoW will attract younger people because the world itself is more cartoonish and fantasy like. Appealing to younger ages and more just plain fun bashing and simple. Don't get me wrong its got its twists but in the game in general can be played in a much more simple fashion than EQ. Now also, because of Blizzard's previous fanbase of WTF PKER's from diablo 2 and STFU GOGOGO's from starcraft and WC3 it seems that more younger, immature people play those games and therefore will remian loyal to Blizzard and play WoW.

EQ2s female characters are wearing very skimpy outfits. That attracts a 'mature audience'? EQ2 is supposed to be a war between 2 sides..(I thought so anyway) so what is that dark elf doing with the goodies in the latest gameplay trailer?
          And if there are immature people from d2 and sc and wc3 coming to WoW...well, d2 maybe, the other two seem rather unlikely given the very different natures of the games; what kind of people are migrating from EQ1 do you expect? EQ2's website tells me the game is intended for people under my age..for I cannot believe how corny it is, and how much I wince when I see it.

[quote]Originally posted by powerskanker
          [b]
          EQ2 on the other hand will attract a more mature audience. Most MMORPG's in general attract older gamers. FPS's and more quick paced games which Blizzard seems to favor attract younger people. Very few younger people are willing to put forth the committment and time it takes to level and become powerful in most MMORPGs. Also a great aspect of an MMORPG is its content, which most younger gamers do not care for. They care for more "cooler" things, eye candies, and "wtf pwnzing". EQ2 being a long term time consuming game will tend to attract older audiences.
          [/quote][/b]

Blizzard haven't made a single fps so far that I know of. Ghost might be it, but I doubt it very much.
          What makes you think WoW won't be as long term? :p (I.e have as long a mindnumbingly boring lvl-grind)
          Additionally, I find myself much much less able to take said mindbogging threadmill (kill these doggies for 6 lvls, then go sit at that spot 500 yards away and kill those ghosts for 15. With friends or no.) than any <18 year old I've met in an mmorpg. 'Course, they seem to switch their course more often, but..

Edit: Only one quote? hmmf.

'Watch my girlfriend come through the door, chop of her head she falls to the floor,
          Watching my baby's jugular flow,
          really makes my motor go!' -Beheaded, Offspring

• IdefixIdefix Member Posts: 1
          I agree to the first author of this thread. Comparing these game's are like comparing apples n pears. Some thing's seems to be simular, but most differs. I can't buy the whole thing about Wow being a child's game either...I myself have played Warcraft n Starcraft since they came out and think Blizzard games stand for one thing...quality. EQ on the other side (which I've only tested shortly) is maybe the most aclaimed MMOG of all times so it also must stand for something good.

Happy gaming folks... image

• GaurdianKingGaurdianKing Member Posts: 338
          n2sooners I have already given links to thows like a hundred times, the only reson you know about that is because I kind of shioved it down your throught when you tried argiueing with people about the system requirments and so on.

And If people won't give it a rest about argueing about the age and attractig kid to the game. I have already proven that the majority of gamers attract to the game are adults or over the age of 16. Right now there is apoll and wow is leading and over 16 players out strip the under 16 more than 12 times over. So please shut the hell up. I also said I will post the statistics informatio from the companies logs when I get then again did'nt I. So unless you willing to go against my hard facts I thinbk you should sit down and twidle you thums instead of bulshiting about crap based on you own opinion. You do realise that in a court of law, that is determied as lieing. As you are'nt telling people what you have seen or what you know, your telling them a hypothesis based on how little you know.

J.d.slanger-everything apeares to be a scam in this world when you first see it does'nt it.

J.d.slanger-everything apeares to be a scam in this world when you first see it does'nt it. image

• ScarisScaris Member UncommonPosts: 5,332

I dunno, I just wish everyone would get off these WoW vs EQ2 rants. It's really getting old. I have made my mind on what I want to try based on prior experiences and the current data out there on both. This is starting to look like 2 kids on the school playground going back and forth on atari and commodore, back when I was about TEN. Grow up and deal, I will always play what I want, not what you want me too because you think its better for me. Even fact vs fact is a scewed perception on both parts and opinionated.

Everquest 2 looks like it will be a very good game. Until that game is released and final I really don't care what is published in it, Sony changes their promises weekly as they always have. WoW looks like a very good game, Blizzard has a real bad habit of pushing back release dates over and over again but has a very high reputation for stable and very well balanced game play. Blizzard also has no experience in MMO's to date. Both could be great or could be bad. Lets just wait and see and quit the bickering.

- Fadeus Hawkwood

- Scaris

"What happened to you, Star Wars Galaxies? You used to look like Leia. Not quite gold bikini Leia (more like bad-British-accent-and-cinnamon-bun-hair Leia), but still Leia nonetheless. Now you look like Chewbacca." - Computer Gaming World

I stated this somewhere in one of these post.  I'm going to give each game six months after release to "win me over".

What will he do next?
        • GaurdianKingGaurdianKing Member Posts: 338
          Urrr. I am tired..... I just had to sit throught 4 iq tests man, grreeeeeeee... I am not happy, what thell hell, after would she just started to smile and spout out numbers man, what the Hell has 155 got to do with anothing . I am going to sleep. LOL! image

J.d.slanger-everything apeares to be a scam in this world when you first see it does'nt it.

J.d.slanger-everything apeares to be a scam in this world when you first see it does'nt it. image

"n2sooners I have already given links to thows like a hundred times, the only reson you know about that is because I kind of shioved it down your throught when you tried argiueing with people about the system requirments and so on."

No, I actually just went to the websites and looked them up. But thanks for believing I am stupid and that the world revolves around you. ::::12::

image image

• punkrockpunkrock Member Posts: 1,777
          it was eq v.s daoc for like two moths then it just stoped. glade it did to. then it was eq v.s uo < i should know i was on uo and me and my friends got on there and said go to eq its a better game. then we got eq stoped plYING BECOUSE WAS ON THAT GOOD. THEN WE WENT TO DAOC AND WE NEVER STOPED PLAYING SINCE> crap i did half caps oops sorry haha.