Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Bring back the magic!

KanthKanth Member Posts: 13

Ive been reading the boards on nearly a daily bases for sometime now, and finally decided to make my first post. Im a devoted (i.e. addicted) EQ player, and I have been for nearly five years. Even though I still play the EQ and enjoy it, I often reminisce back a few years when there was a sense of amplitude to the game. Maybe I just sound like old man Kanth sitting on his front porch talking about the good ol days but maybe a handful of other people will also enjoy this little trip down memory lane.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /> 

One of the main things that drew me into EQ in the first place was the sense of grandeur the game instilled in its players. No one man (or Dwarf) was bigger then the elements. Norrath was a vast, unexplored and often dangerous land. Travel was nothing to be taken lightly, trips by foot often lead you through unfamiliar backlands and ventures by sea were long and time consuming. Alas, I loved it. When players were forced to wait at the docks for what seemed like forever at times, it sparked a sense of community. Even if it was a little role-playing, an impromptu fishing contest or just a friendly chit-chat (translation, bitching about wait times) it helped build a sense of community no matter how small. When was the last time you had a conversation with a stranger as you clicked your way across Norrath via port stones?

The buzz word that I seem to be hearing from the EQ2 development team seems to be intimate, and I embrace this mantra with open arms. From all that  I’ve read so far there are no plans for a mass transit port system for EQ2, this may upsets some, but I feel it would cheapen the game. No ones to say that in a year or two one might not be instated, but until then, I will enjoy the simplicity of a relaxing boat ride. Besides, when else will a poor old Dwarf have a free moment to scrap the goblin brains from the heel of his boot?  I look forward to new adventures and colorful player made rumors about the creatures that lurk around the scared face of Norrath. I look forward to discovering the many creative uses for new spells and abilities along side fellow players. And above all else I look forward to immersing myself in a rich expansive world, banding together with friends and testing our skills against the lands. Cant wait to see yall in game!

-Kanth

Comments

• tylerwicktylerwick Member Posts: 446

Nice Post, Iv also been with EQ for nearly 5 years (i think the 1st or 2nd week of opening) I was sadened the day that boats left the harbor. That was a time to get my fishing skills up and/or Swimming.

I hope they Never put some sort of Insta Tele to a place... With the Exception of teleport spells of course. I remember when my Wizard actually made decent Plat Teleporting for around 10pp a person.

Also, Crafting was much differant then, I was able to sell banded armor at 2pp per AC i think it was.

Nowadays in EQ Live Its much easier to obtain good equipment. A new Person could Obtain weapons and armor at lower lvls that were good enough to kill Orc Legions. I remember when i got my first pair of Bronze boots, Man i was a stud. And i got my 1h Dwarven axe in one hand and my Minotaur battle axe in the other. So with my Blackened armor, Bronze boots and my two axes i was looking pretty good. Seein i was fighting with people that were still wearing leather and patchwork armor. Get anything better than chain armor was a Great Accomplishment for some.

<----------->
    "Nothin better than puttin an arrow right through an orcs skull"

Lionsden - 52 Wood Elf Ranger
    Flamy - 60 Gnome Mage

• DocthartDocthart Member Posts: 34

HAHA dude im so glad I came across your post. I played EQ before there was an expansion and all the way through them. I was going to make a post following what yours said. I to loved the old time when if you wanted to go some where, you took the time to get there. Its funny when playing EQ you know each zone and all its glory.

Dont get me wrong, its nice that they have faster ways to get around becuase it is so much larger now, but its sad to know that so many couldnt walk from Freeport to Qeynos. I understand that they tried to help many players with all the new travel abilities, but It did loose something in the game when they were placed in there. Actually I stopped playing EQ for about a year now. I love the game, but its not the same as when I used to play it.

Im right on board with you in hoping the game starts out like the orginal when it comes to travel. It really does make it better for players to learn their way around rather then "Warping" to far off places. Also it gives you the danger of travel. Nothing more fun then traveling at level 5 to hunt in a friends area, and running across a HG thinking oh crap, all that way just to start again lol.

• goliath142goliath142 Member Posts: 104
    WOW nice post I was thinking the same thing .I've played Eq from beta to POP and one thing I have always said is they have made wizzys and druids useless for porting or tling for plat .I loved it when I felt like wow got my port spells now I am on my way to ubber or I can levy now or just got my Ic spell now I am ubber .I am sick of the way it just turned into a lving game its time to bring back the elements that made me stand back and go awwww. They dont have massive ports on SWG they dont need them in eq2 let the right classes do there jobs that one of the rewards for getting that lv .

As I walk through the valley of death I will fear no evil BUT it will have no choice but to FEAR ME!!!

As I walk through the valley of death I will fear no evil BUT evil will have no choice but to FEAR ME!!!

• ksmith2629ksmith2629 Member Posts: 56

Kanth,

After reading on the different forums all the winning, bitching and nagativity about what people want, don't want or aren't sure what they want...this post is refreshing.

Im looking so forward to EQ2.

Thanks.

• powerskankerpowerskanker Member Posts: 57
    Well put my friend. In my opinion, once sony took control and added that teleporting system... everything seemed to go downhill. I have much anticipation for EQ2 and hopefully it wasn't sonys fault EQ1 went down and they can redeem themselves with EQ2. Plus, the eye candies look awesome o).