Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How does WAR compare to WOW?

Can anyone clue me in?

Comments

• My question is, have you played DAOC? If so, how does the PvP combat in WAR compare to DAOC? WoW's PVP is horrendous when compared to DAOC. I hope that Mythic has stuck with their PROVEN formula with DAOC, instead of dumbing down the PvP to the level of WoW for mass appeal.

Originally posted by Fugnudz

Originally posted by Aadien

I am looking for another MMO, i am just so bored of what i have now. I heard EQ2 is fun, but is it to late to join? I dont want to start an MMO where i have to solo for about 50 lvls. And i have tried lotro and that isnt really my thing. If anyone can help me with any fun MMOs to try or give me your opinion on what you think would be fun. thanks

WOW is the best game out and probably will remain so for years to come.  My heart is heavy when I say this; I am not a fanbois by any means.

Link: http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/1490552#1490552

Okie.............

• DeathstinyDeathstiny Member Posts: 386

WAR is to WoW what WoW was to EQ ....the next logical step.

It's coming!

• daelnordaelnor Member UncommonPosts: 1,556

WAR is probably going to have little in common with WoW other than the style of animation.

Two totally separate beasts, other than the fact that they both will have the typical MMO elements.

WAR will be more of a pvp related game, and wow is more of the get a large group of people together to go kill the dungeon boss...again...and again...type games.

Both fun in their own way most likely, but different entities. Then again..WAR is not out yet...so people can theorize all day long..but no one will REALLY know until it comes out.

On one hand, leveling is fairly easy in WoW, so you could catch up to people..and its not like they are doing anything at the top that you won't catch up with...just dungeon raids.

War will be a blank canvas, so everyone will be starting out low(which means people to group with.) But then again..WAR won't be out for quite some time yet.

D.

• butters88butters88 Member Posts: 379

Honestly this is what it has in common.... quests (what game doesnt have quests), lvls (almost every game has lvls in some way), name starts with the letter "W", um...graphics are somewhat similiar although WAR's are less cartoony, oh and it has PvP, lots and lots of PvP, and it also has monsters to kill. So yes i guess u can say WAR is a WoW clone... definitely. Like who wouldn't think that? Man you gotta be crazy not to.

• sathokiajasathokiaja Member Posts: 6

Originally posted by butters88

Honestly this is what it has in common.... quests (what game doesnt have quests), lvls (almost every game has lvls in some way), name starts with the letter "W", um...graphics are somewhat similiar although WAR's are less cartoony, oh and it has PvP, lots and lots of PvP, and it also has monsters to kill. So yes i guess u can say WAR is a WoW clone... definitely. Like who wouldn't think that? Man you gotta be crazy not to.

Were you being sarcastic? I sure hope so.

Basically, you can't compare WoW to WAR. The game mechanics and how the professions work/their roles are completely different, how the PvP is set up is completely different,  the public quests will beat the pants off of any PvE WoW has...

• butters88butters88 Member Posts: 379

obviously i was lol

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,507

As mentioned before, WAR compares better to DAOC than it does to WOW.

But on that note... both WAR/WOW have Orcs and Elves and are set in a fantasy world.....

Similarities start to end after that point.......

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• IlliusIllius Member UncommonPosts: 4,142

It doesn't.

People need to learn to carry a conversation regarding MMO's  without WoW being part of it.  I have no problems with people playing WoW.  I don't do it anymore.  But when they run around proclaiming WoW to be the be-all and the end-all that's where the urge to kill starts rising.

No required quests! And if I decide I want to be an assassin-cartographer-dancer-pastry chef who lives only to stalk and kill interior decorators, then that's who I want to be, even if it takes me four years to max all the skills and everyone else thinks I'm freaking nuts. -Madimorga-

• FionFion Member UncommonPosts: 2,348

Art style is pretty much the big one. The way combat works is extremely similar between the two. The UI is almost identical. PvP in both is mostly focused on instancing.

But there are a lot of things that make WAR different. WAR is PvP focused, you can level doing PvP only. Sure most the PvP is instanced, but at least what isn't does play a bigger role. You'll be able to raid enemy faction cities and actually take them over. Granted it is never permanent and doesn't really mean anything beyond bragging rights.

I'd say WAR is a lot more like WoW then like DAoC. But thats not necessarily a bad thing. WoW players sick of Blizzards nerf-bat and really terrible ability to balance their game, especially those looking for a less gear-oriented game, but in a MMOG with extremely similar style. Then WAR is what you want.

• SramotaSramota Member Posts: 756

To give you a fair comparsion I can give you this:

*They're based on the same fundamental lore (Warhammer lore... Yes, Warcraft is spawned out of warhammer, anyone telling you otherwise is very wrong.)

*They... Have two opposing realms (Alliance / Horde in WoW and Chaos / Order in WAR)

*They're very different in how they're made, although still very similar.
    See, WOW is a PVE game with a bit of PVP thrown in (Which is bloated into arena seasons and stuff, yet you need PVE gear to win on equally skilled fights... How about that now)
    While WAR is a PVP game with a bit of PVE thrown in (Strangely fantastic with public quests and stuff...)

*In WOW you MUST PVE to PVP, as you need both gear and levels to be able to even enter the arenas and battlegrounds.
    Whereas in WAR you can PVP from the second you create your character (Traveltime not calculated in) as you can gain both gear and experience (levels) through PVP in WAR

*As for those who want those "Holy mother..! That's mad!" moments when facing bosses and insanely cool dungeons, WOW is the way to go.
    Whereas WAR seem to cater for the more head-on approach (CHAAARGE!! or WAAAGH!! as the cool people say)
    I'm yet to see anything in WAR that holds the same coolnessfactor as the instances of WOW.
    That is if you like instances. If not, it's just horrible.

*They both obviously have solo content but it seems like WAR can be played without talking to a single numbskull, ever, as everything seems to be open, both PVE and PVP.
    And that's Good! (Since you can still group up and bash through with your friends, while having someone run by every now and then)
    Whereas WOW forces you to group for end-game. One way or another (Yes, both PVE AND PVP) as the best gear is either through (A) Instances or (B) Arenas

So all in all how does WAR compare to WOW?
    Not as tounge-in-cheek (As EVERYTHING in WOW is an easter-egg... "I am the serpent king, I can do.. Anything! The goblin zepmaster Hin Denburgh, etc etc etc) but more of the stuff that really matters. More open PVP, more PVP in general.
    The ability to FINALLY slaughter those pesky elves AND burn their friggin hippie-homes down to the bloody ground! WOO!

So.. Ye.. WAR is more 'serious' and next-gen (Yes, it's a next-gen game.. WAR is in no way a part of the current grindalicious PVE-forced lollercoaster games we have today.)
    Whereas WOW is a fantastic blend of the old tested and working systems from games such as Ultima Online, Everquest and such.
    Guess it's a matter of taste.

Conservative or Liberal?
    WOW or WAR?

Hope this helped you a bit and do tell if this wasn't what you wanted to know. ;)

Edit: Oh, and WAR has Paul. Which is something Blizzard can never top,
    for further reference on the insanity and greatness of Paul please see THIS LINK
    which is the one presentation that truly put Paul into the spotlight and made him famous.
    Not to say immortalized.

His greatness has since spilled into the podcasts recently
    Podcasts HERE

Played so far: 9Dragons, AO, AC, AC2, CoX, DAoC, DF, DnL, DR, DDO, Ent, EvE, EQ, EQ2, FoMK, FFO, Fury, GW, HG:L, HZ, L1, L2, M59, MU, NC1, NC2, PS, PT, R:O, RF:O, RYL, Ryzom, SL, SB, SW:G, TR, TCoS, MX:O, UO, VG, WAR, WoW...
    It all sucked.

• dominitdominit Member Posts: 64

The one thing that will compare is that this game will attract WOW player's. how can i be so sure? mark my words it will. It just has the same look that people are familiar with.

TBH im glad if it does then at least it will keep kids away from a real game Age of Conan :D

• SpookieSpookie Member Posts: 28

Originally posted by dominit
    TBH im glad if it does then at least it will keep kids away from a real game Age of Conan :D

You're kidding right? Conan is full of tit and arse. It'll be a magnet for them.

Personal, I can't see the comparisions other than art form. They are both aiming for two very differant experiances.

• I consider trying Age of Conan before Warhammer Online is released. But mostly for *Warmup*

Naaj. I wanna give Age of Conan a chance and see if its really that good as they are trying to hyper it up to. I doubt it, but I buy the game and give it a chance for 2-3 month and the game dont suit me I will move on to Warhammer Online. The real game.

• VengerVenger Member UncommonPosts: 1,309

Well let me say first I only got to play the game for a short time at a gamesday event and I'm not a WoW hater like so many people on here same to be.  I don't play anymore but I don't hate the game.

IMHO War has a simmilar feel to WoW not really the same just simmilar.  Looks like it may be a bit more tatical then WoW zergfest because all the characters are geared towards pvp.   I wasn't a fan of WoW pvp because it basically came down to gear hopefully War is a bit more skill oriented.

• EQTarbosEQTarbos Member Posts: 130

see the bad thing is is War will take skill to play such as daoc i played wow for a short time. it was sick and I found out how overpowewred your toon could be I had a LV L 19 rouge in wow and was able to solo lvl 30 players   um..................

in another mmorpg this would not beable to happen.

• LucifrankLucifrank Member Posts: 355
    Originally posted by Sramota

The ability to FINALLY slaughter those pesky elves AND burn their friggin hippie-homes down to the bloody ground! WOO!

I'm looking VERY forward to this. Elves are definitely my least favorite race in high fantasy. I even hate 'em in Tolkien. For a long time, I'd be longing for an elf-free fantasy MMORPG, but GW just didn't cut the mustard. I'm all geared up to let loose on those smug, tree-hugging, pointed earred bastards upon WAR's release.